Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: NBA  (Read 11004 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: NBA
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2019, 06:39:58 AM »

Pretty entertaining Tunisia-Angola match.  i watched the opening 6 mins then kept catching bits mid-game, until settling in last 6 mins.  Game of runs.  Tunisia was up 15 early 3Q, Angola took the lead with 4 mins left in the game.  Tunisia rips an 8 point lead with 2:30 left, tied around the 1 min mark.

Mejri dominated for Tunisia.  Probably had a 20+ / 15 / 10 block line or close to it.   But he picked up two late (very minor) fouls and fouled out with under 1 min left, as Angola battled back.  Then Mejri's replacement knocks in a 3 with 6 secs left, with the shot clock almost out.  Put Tunisia up 4 -- game winner.  Guy's only shot all game.

Good physical, scrappy game.  Both likable teams with some solid talent.  Big guy for Angola looked like a 2nd round NBA type.  But I don't know his age.  Strong guy.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:43:08 AM by bodiddley »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2019, 08:56:49 AM »

China-Nigeria.
Often the African teams are not well-organized.  Frequent spats over getting paid, etc.  I think Ivory Coast threatened a boycott until they got half their money upfront for this tourney.

But Nigeria seems pretty solid.  Aminu is a very good defender.  I saw a Nigerian wing do a nice crossover and burst to the rim, laying it in.  I'm thinking that looked like an NBA-level move.  Then realized its Josh Okogie.  Very nice young player from Minny, on my radar for the Knix.
Other ex-NBAers: Ekpe Udoh, Ike Diogu, Ben Uzoh(?)
They also have a PG who gets into it on D, and a Big who runs well.

China with 11 1st half turnovers.  Getting stripped a lot.
Nigeria 35-China 31 at the half.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:25:03 AM by bodiddley »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »

Undefeated teams after 4 games:

Spain
Serbia
US
France
Australia
Argentina
POLAND (the big surprise so far)

Poland had an easy run so far.
Beating Ivory Coast, China, Venezuela in the weakest group.
Then beat Russia (and got super-celebratory).
But just got crushed by Argentina 91-65.

Gortat and Lampe both are not on the team.
They have an 18 year old 7'1" C Olek Balcerowski.
Born November 2000.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:27:46 AM by bodiddley »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »

Nigeria beat CHina.  China now 2-3, losing to Venezuela, Poland and now Nigeria.  Barely beating Korea.  And topped weak Ivory Coast.

Nigeria looked good (v. China).
Okogie a nice clever player, but pretty young.
Aminu does more than he's capable of, so a bit sloppy.
Finished 6 / 8 / 6 with 4 TO's.

I was intrigued by Chimezie Metu, a bouncy 6'10" who runs well.
Turns out he was a Spurs 2nd round pick (#$9) in 2018.
Played at USC 3 years.  Interesting prospect.

I also liked Nigeria's 2 guards who played stout D and applied full court pressure at times.  Ike Iroegbu 6'2" plays in Lithuania.  Age 24 form Wash St.  And 23 year old Nnamdi Vincent.  In the GLeague, I think.
CHina traditionally has weak G play, and picking them up fullcourt and harassing their passing vision and not letting them get off 3's was good strategy.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

US-Brazil.
Kind of an uninspired US performance until late.  Brazil hung close for 2/3rds of the game.  US was up 4 or 5 then made a run mid-3Q to get a comfortable lead.  Then opened the 4Q strongly to put the game away.

Miles Turner was mostly on his game.  Likes those Duncan bank shots from 14'.  But how much does he want to be great?  Joe Harris continues to be the only American who reliably hist 3's.  The 3-line is almost a foot shorter than NBA.  But US went just 8/25 on 3's.  It's not a weapon they use much.  And they don't get out on the break much.  And they don't get FT's.  In the half court, they're sets are okay, but mostly rely on a post-up or drive rather than ball movement.

Kemba is the indispensable player.  Jaylen stepped up 2nd half.  US made their 4Q run playing smallball with Jaylen defending Verajao.   Got them running and more steals.  I really like what Smart brings.  Just a bulldog.  Fun to watch.  And Derrick White brings some of the same.  Harrison "Pretty Good" Barnes does some of everything.  At least gets some FT's.
I'd say Middleton and Mitchell have been underwhelming.  Not bad, but these were supposed to be core guys.  Mitchell did lead the US with 7 assists and had a game high +22.  But his shooting and defense were suspect.  When teams need baskets they tend to go at Harris, post up Kemba, or attack Mitchell.  Kemba the best defender of the 3, and fights.
This is great training for Kemba -- BOS has to be happy.

BRAzil relies on Varejao and Barbosa a lot. 
Caboclo looked pretty iffy to me.  Goes for fakes, fouls, can get muscled.
With Varejao in the post, Cabolclo often floated on the perimeter and missed all 4 of his 3's.  Not his game.  But I'm not sure what is.  Didn't look good.

USA is susceptible to any team that can pop in 3's and bully in the post.
Brazil did such and kept it close for 2/3rds of the game.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

US plays France next.
Start of elimination play, i'm pretty sure.

France beat Dominican Rep, Jordan, and squeaked by Germany and Lithuania.  Just lost by 2 to Australia.  So a solid team in the mix.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »

Saw 2nd half Spain-Poland.
Was played in Shanghai, and I vaguely thought of going after my hoops run ended.  I've played on the practice court beneath the main stadium.

Poland didn't have enough.  AJ Slaughter is their best scorer.  An undrafted 32 year old, who has kicked around Europe plenty, and became a Polish citizen in 2015, to bolster their national team.
I got to see the 18 year old 7'1" guy a little.
Missed both his FT's.  Missed a pair of 3's also (I didn't see those).  Had 2 assists.  Not a main guy. 

Poland was down 8-10 points most of the 2nd half, and couldn't make a 3 in the $Q to close the gap.  And you know it's trouble when Rubio is popping 3's (went 3-4 form distance, including two mid/late 4Q).
Willy Hernangomez did his David Lee impression.  Scored inside, boarded well, fouled and chumpy on D.  His jersey reads W Geuer.  Apparently his surname is Hernagomez Geuer.  Spaniards ...

Lull looked useless.  Rudy Fernandez still can shoot (5-5 on trips).  I didn't see Juancho but he scored a bunch.  Ma Gasol does what's needed. Fills the gaps.

A solid showing for Poland.  But their 4W-0L start was mostly the product of being in a weak group.  Beat China and Russia.  So that's something to take back home.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »

Spain beats US or France
Rest in peace, Ric Ocasek

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2019, 02:26:10 AM »

France looked decent to me, but more like a Brazil-level team.
One thing is Gobert makes it tough on drivers, so US either needs to make some 3's, get FT's, or move the ball well.  Gobert also probably means Lopez gets out there more.  Miles Turner can try to bring Gobert out to guard midrange.
France = Fournier, Gobert, Batum
They'll be competitive, but US should put them away.
US gets off to slow starts and wins 2nd halves so far.
Maybe Pop should start Jaylen.

Spain a better team.  But Rubio and Lull are erratic.  Gasol a bit slow these days.  Gotta keep tabs on Rudy F.  Stop his 3's and the US should win.

I don't think France is a big threat. 
Spain more so. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »

I mentioned the US getting out to slow starts and thought they should change the lineup.  Well, how about a 32-7 1Q deficit.  Embarrassing.
US outscored Serbia 33-12 in the 2Q, so was just down 4 at the half.

No idea why Joe Horror started.  But he played 22 mins and had a team worse -17.  Teams just attack him.  Smart didn't play -- possibly dinged up from careening around last game.  Why start Kemba - Mitchell - Harris?  That's some weak D.

You know you're in trouble when Harrison "Pretty Good" Barnes is your high scorer.  Middleton finally had a good scoring game.

Bogdanovic had a terrific game for Serbija.  7-14 on 3's.

US should have lost to Turkey, who choked badly.
Which would have meant a 3-3 record.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]