Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 916289 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #1020 on: October 06, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

Yeah, I've also been calling for that forever.
Clyde knows the game, knows how to teach it succinctly, and commands respect.

Clyde is too idiosyncratic for national TV.
Not just the vocab, but the way he offers silence when his broadcast partner says something Clyde isn't interested in following up.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Zupzup

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 07, 2018, 07:07:55 AM »

JRS and Smart, especialy Smart. Not so.

chipstern

• View Profile
The Old Ending Contract Play
« Reply #1022 on: October 07, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »

Courtney Lee for Jerryd Bayless.

Other than an ending salary, how does this help with either our roster or back-court glut issues?  Or chemistry?

And, REALISTICALLY, why would Philly invest in Lee when they have Reddick? 

Oh, and that Fultz fellow.  And #1 pick Zhaire Smith

Also, as per projecting free agency moves in 2019?

Kevin Durant

Kawhi Leonard

Mychal Thompson

Jimmy Butler

On the Knicks?

If we had a prayer of a shot at Kawhi, well, but Durant?  Why would he leave GS?  Jimmy Butler?  Fuck Jimmy Butler.  And again, as regards the received wisdom which holds that Kawhi's move to Los Angeles is Biblically predestined?  Well, I can recall Forum members, who shall remain unnamed, who asserted with equally fervent Biblical certitude, that Butler/Irving was a done deal, a match made in heaven, a once in a lifetime opportunity we must surrender assets and draft picks to hit while the iron was hot, as in, RIGHT FUCKING NOW.  [Cough]

I'd say it's more likely we re-up our own free agents, starting with Enes Kanter. 

PS: Salary cap space sure comes in handy when trying to execute trades, or in leveraging draft picks to help other teams pull off complicated trades when they DO NOT HAVE CAP SPACE.  We are not obligated to simply commit $40 million x 5 to a Jimmy Butler, when we already have Timmy, Damyean, Alonzo and Frank.  And there is always 2020.  And me, personally, I'd rather have more draft picks and remain committed to a GROW YOUR OWN stratagem.  Clearly, we agree to disagree on this.  Cool. 

PPS: Forum members, not saying you, Biz, in seemingly each & every Trader Vic scenario, seem positively addicted to the notion of shipping Lance Thomas out of town on a Bayonne Garbage Trawler, as if he were naught but an overpaid bum.  And yet, Fizz regards him as his captain and an iconic symbol of what Coach envisions this team being/becoming going forward.  What does Fizz see that eludes Forum handicappers?   Or doesn't grab you by the short hairs when reading the morning box scores?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:56:38 PM by chipstern »

Urethra_Franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 07, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »

I've never understood the LT hate either. He's a prototypical 7-8th man and probably an excellent practice player.  Also doesn't seem like a dickhead

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

He seems a lot less bobbly this preseason at least. If Lance can carry that forward, he can be a quite effective player.

Forgetting contract status, our 15 best players for everyday basketball are

Kanter Robinson Kornet
Thomas Vonleh KP
Knox Hezonja Lee
Hardaway Dotson Baker
Ntilikina Trier Burke

To make this happen we have to finalize Noah’s goodbye & ship off or cut loose Mudiay. Mudiay might cut us some cash if it frees him up intime to get an overseas contract that lets him try again in March to latch on somewhere in the League, maybe a third of what can be arranged overseas.

I’m glad we have Hicks on a two-way. He looks like he can fit right in and we already expect to be down a key big for likely half the season at least. I like the way Hicks and Vonleh can push the ball for guys their size.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 07, 2018, 08:11:35 PM »

Wait.

So now Jimmy Biutler isn't worth pursuing if we are giving up NOTHING?

Right.  Got it.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 07, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »

I've never understood the LT hate either. He's a prototypical 7-8th man and probably an excellent practice player.  Also doesn't seem like a dickhead

Name one Dukie that has been a headcase in this league.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 07, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »

Wait.

Right.  Got it.

$40 Million Per X Over Five Years?  THAT AIN'T NOTHING

That's KEVIN DURANT Money.  KAWHI LEONARD Money.  Players with championship rings

Are you going to front and pretend that Jimmy Butler is that kind of team changer.  You, the handicapper who declared that 25 Million would be irresponsible for Klay Thompson.

Notice all of the teams lining up to surrender serious assets for Butler

Don't Bogart that joint my friend. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:11:45 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 07, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »

Name one Dukie that has been a headcase in this league.

Christian Laettner? 

And I liked CL. 

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 08, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »

our point guard situation is NOT good at the moment.

Burke by default. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 08, 2018, 12:49:17 AM »

If Frank develops a clean dependable goto move, he’s the guy. He may be the guy already anyway on his way to finding that move. With the ball skills of both forwards and the off guard (assuming Lance’s bobbles don’t return), the D helps and the tendency to defer doesn’t hurt that much. Playing with our first line helps Frank more than it helps Trey at this point. It will be easier to manage Trey’s defensive assignments dealing him out from the bench.

2 more games till we’re obliged to make a serious cut down.

I think there is some merit to the prospect of waiving Kornet with an offer of our two-way open to him if he clears the league (50-50, I’d guess). It lets us patch our bigs lineup with Hicks and Kornet into January or February if we play our cards right, which we’ve shown we can with the G-League. Combine that with the JoNo chop, and we have

Kanter Robinson Vonleh
Thomas KP
Knox Hezonja Lee
Hardaway Dotson Baker
Ntilikina Trier Burke Mudiay

Extra beef - Hicks & Kornet

It’s a little guard heavy, but so is today’s NBA.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 08, 2018, 01:02:03 AM »

If Frank develops a clean dependable goto move, he’s the guy. He may be the guy already anyway on his way to finding that move. With the ball skills of both forwards and the off guard (assuming Lance’s bobbles don’t return), the D helps and the tendency to defer doesn’t hurt that much. Playing with our first line helps Frank more than it helps Trey at this point. It will be easier to manage Trey’s defensive assignments dealing him out from the bench.

2 more games till we’re obliged to make a serious cut down.

I think there is some merit to the prospect of waiving Kornet with an offer of our two-way open to him if he clears the league (50-50, I’d guess). It lets us patch our bigs lineup with Hicks and Kornet into January or February if we play our cards right, which we’ve shown we can with the G-League. Combine that with the JoNo chop, and we have

Kanter Robinson Vonleh
Thomas KP
Knox Hezonja Lee
Hardaway Dotson Baker
Ntilikina Trier Burke Mudiay

Extra beef - Hicks & Kornet

It’s a little guard heavy, but so is today’s NBA.

Interesting. 

Not sure Knicks see it that way.

Or that I see it that way. 

But I think you're on to something. 

Kornet is only signed through this season.  Would he be amenable to a G-League return?  Would he clear waivers? 

I like him, but short term/long term, Vonleh's skill-set projects as more useful/versatile. 

O'Quinn made Hernan-Gomez expendable. 

Perhaps?

Vonleh (and Robinson) make Kornet expendable.

Vonleh would seem to fit the parameters of what O'Qunn gave us last year, though longer, quicker and more athletic.  Remains to be seen if he is as skilled at 6'10" 245. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 08, 2018, 01:16:31 AM »

If Kornet didn’t clear waivers, we could try to secure Daniel Ochefu to that other two-way slot. For me, this would go a long way to dulling the pain of losing Luke.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 08, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »

Wait.

Right.  Got it.

$40 Million Per X Over Five Years?  THAT AIN'T NOTHING

That's KEVIN DURANT Money.  KAWHI LEONARD Money.  Players with championship rings

Are you going to front and pretend that Jimmy Butler is that kind of team changer.  You, the handicapper who declared that 25 Million would be irresponsible for Klay Thompson.

Notice all of the teams lining up to surrender serious assets for Butler

Don't Bogart that joint my friend.

Butler will prove/disprove that he is worth those bucks by his (continued great or declining) play in 2018-19.

He's on the clock.

But at issue is that you dont feel signing top free agents is wise - after all this incessant talk of clearing room for two "max" players.

That the Knicks would really be in position to clear such room, then TURN DOWN such player is a bit ridiculous.

"Jimmy Butler is NOT a max player based on current NBA valuation methods" can be discussed.  Discuss away.  But its tough when all you have is age and some mangled version of "he is not a good teammate" as neg factors.

Your factoring in "teams not lining up" when

a)  they did

and

b)  he has just the one year left

is silly.

That there were even multiple suitors in such a scenario shows the player's high value.

**Latest is Wolves and Heat have suspended talks - this due to Thibs demands (wanted to rework parameters).  Current coach values this player so highly that he would rather walk away with nothing for next year than up this year's win potential.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 08, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »

Vonleh (and Robinson) make Kornet expendable.

Can we see wonderrook play more than 2 games in a row first?

Vonleh as O'Quinn is overoptimistic.

I dont see Kornet as at risk.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 1848