Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 913218 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Van Vleet
« Reply #10350 on: January 17, 2020, 10:25:16 PM »

Wiggins should be killing with Towns.

He has not.

Ask Jimmy Butler.

I dont know, man - pretty strong year going for Wiggy

He does not show up for 48 minutes. 

If I was going after a free agent, or a free agent to be, a sure to be expensive free agent, come the summer of 2020, would be PG Van Vleet.  Not Drummond.  Or fucking Wiggins [we have RJ, Bullock, Knox, Iggy...oh, and MORRIS]

Not sure Van Vleet is inclined to leave the Raptors, but I suspect he will be inclined to LISTEN. 

Good facilitator, focused defender (1.9 steals a game); okay, he is going to be 26 next month, only 6'1" and a high volume shooter to boot, but nails treys at a 38% clip and can get very hot from the asteroid belt, while converting FTs at 84.7% clip, relevant as can create his own shot in a pinch, and is giving the Raptors 7 assists and 4 boards a night.  Will be 26.   Four years?  For 25-30 Million?  [Hell, Peyton, Ellington and Gibson add up to 25 million...Portis...40 million].  The bell cow in the Garden?  I'd listen.   God bless Chris Paul, but 30 million for Van Vleet or 45 million for Paul.  Hello. 

The way Van Vleet can motor, and is a threat to bomb...RJ would be so open for the EZ Pass lane, he'd think he was hallucinating. 

We whiffed on Kemba at 32, 34, 36, 37. 

Van Vleet 25, 28, 31, 33? 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:58:14 PM by chipstern »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #10351 on: January 17, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

What if we could wriggle Culver from them, the cost being taking Wiggins' remaining 90+ mil and giving them Mitch Robinson?

Wiggins/Culver comes to 33+ mil - so start figuring who we would send back to 'sota.  No picks.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: January 17, 2020, 11:04:17 PM »

What if we could wriggle Culver from them, the cost being taking Wiggins' remaining 90+ mil and giving them Mitch Robinson?

Wiggins/Culver comes to 33+ mil - so start figuring who we would send back to 'sota.  No picks.

No. 

And I like Culver. 

But I don't like Wiggins.  Not a good three point shooter.  Not a very high FG%, and like just up to 74% FT this season.  Will be 25 two days before Van Vleet.  Not at 27, 29, 31, 33.  Hey, what I suggested we might offer Van Vleet. 

They have centers.  We need Mitchell.  Need to augment/supplement him, not dump him for very weak personality in Wiggins.  Yes, he is talented, but not exactly like we're bring Spree to the Garden, or Melo.  He would WILT, and I don't mean the Big Dipper. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: January 17, 2020, 11:57:35 PM »

Arent many in the league capable of getting 20 a night

To do it for six seasons - pretty damn good.

Missing just ten games in 5 years pretty impressive as well.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: January 18, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »

Blazers down to Mavs..

just 4-6 in last ten

Simons struggling...

But how about Hassan Whiteside?

Points -  19, 16, 17, 23, 21, 14, 15, 7, 18, 21
Boards -  16, 22, 12, 21, 18, 16, 14, 11, 18, 18
Blocks -  4, 3, 3, 5, 2, 7, 2, 3, 2, 5

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: January 18, 2020, 12:13:45 AM »

Oh, yeah - almost forgot - 29 for THJ

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: January 18, 2020, 04:51:20 AM »

Oh, yeah - almost forgot - 29 for THJ

You forgot the 0 Assists ....

<snicker>

Kyrie Irving Leadership Lessons.
When he named the Nets core he left off all the Whities.
Maybe he just didn't know their names ...

But really a typical Kyrie jerk move.  It also comes after KI missed 26 games in which the Nets did about the same as when Kyrie plays.  Then he returns for 3 or 4 games and complains.

And some of you wanted Kyrie and a broken down expensive KD.
Blech.  They also saddled BKY with DeAndretheGiant's indifference.  I think he likes hanging out with the guys more than actually playing hoops.

Of course IF KI & KD can both get healthy, you're only one stud away from contending.  That's the tease.  But I see it as the Nets KG/Pierce 2.0.  Remember at the time that looked promising and they already had Deron as a top PG.  Of course, the poison was all the 1st rounders they floated BOS.  But two gimpy stars who are selfish and thin-skinned and prima donnas.    It's gonna take Durant some time next year to get himself back.  Expect a 60% KD.  And who knows what will ail Kyrie.  Knix dodged a double-barreled shotgun.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Van Vleet
« Reply #10357 on: January 18, 2020, 05:43:10 AM »

Praying That Perry Can Convince Some Team That Dennis Smith Is Worth A Late First Rounder

Might as well pray that Franc sprouts wings and can dunk at will ...

Nobody is giving up a 1st for the Knix 3rd string PG who can't stay healthy and has played poorly.

If I was going after a free agent, or a free agent to be, a sure to be expensive free agent, come the summer of 2020, would be PG Van Vleet. ... Not sure Van Vleet is inclined to leave the Raptors, but I suspect he will be inclined to LISTEN.

I think FVV would very much be up for a big contract and starting gig in NYC.  He's a grinder and in that ay really reminds me of Lowry, an undersized PG who mostly wills himself to be good.  But FVV's margin of error is pretty small on much of what he does, and he benefits from plaything against 2nd units and/or being the 4th option when he starts.  If he was getting mucho attention as a Knick starter, I worry his margin would evaporate.

Good facilitator, focused defender (1.9 steals a game); okay, he is going to be 26 next month, only 6'1" and a high volume shooter to boot, but nails treys at a 38% clip and can get very hot from the asteroid belt, while converting FTs at 84.7% clip, relevant as can create his own shot in a pinch, and is giving the Raptors 7 assists and 4 boards a night.  Will be 26.   Four years?  For 25-30 Million?  [Hell, Peyton, Ellington and Gibson add up to 25 million...Portis...40 million].  The bell cow in the Garden?  I'd listen.   

I've started thinking the same way about salaries.  Hell, we're still paying Noah $6M a year.  $30M for FVV is a lot.  But drop Taj and Ellington ($17.5M) add in a pair of $3M replacements for them, and it's akin to FVV at $19M. 

I agree that FVV is one of the top backup PG's.  But is he a quality starter?  He does shoot 3's well and his defensive effort is good, though his size makes him vulnerable to switches.  I'm pretty reluctant.  His role on TOR is perfect for his talent/ability.  And you need other defenders around FVV to make his tough shrimpy D effective.

I'd rather go for Dinwiddie, who does have lead dog in him.

God bless Chris Paul, but 30 million for Van Vleet or 45 million for Paul.  Hello.

Hi.  I'll take an order of CP3, thanks.  First off we'd be on the hook for 2 years on a proven starting PG, not 4 on a backup trying to make the leap.  Not sure we have the structure or personnel to assist FVV to do so.  And the extra $15M?  Excise Booby Porter and it's covered.  Or drop Taj and Ellington.  Payton another somewhat unnecessary $8M.

You can overpay a quality starter here and there and skimp a bit on bench salaries.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: January 18, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

Of course IF KI & KD can both get healthy, you're only one stud away from contending.  That's the tease.  But I see it as the Nets KG/Pierce 2.0.  Remember at the time that looked promising and they already had Deron as a top PG. Of course, the poison was all the 1st rounders they floated BOS.  But two gimpy stars who are selfish and thin-skinned and prima donnas.    It's gonna take Durant some time next year to get himself back.  Expect a 60% KD.  And who knows what will ail Kyrie.  Knix dodged a double-barreled shotgun.

Became Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum +.  But a pick that went to Nets became Kyle Kuzma.  Still one pick left of the Boston haul - that last #1 from the Tatum-Fultz bargain.  One other (which was Colin Sexton in time) had been used to secure Kyrie - a bit of a waste.

(think I got that kind of right - Bank will I am sure correct me one way or another)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: January 18, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »

I like the Wiggins route better than CP3

You get the third year - Wiggins in his prime at 25, 26 and 27 -

then you can FIND (yes, I know - its tough) your future point - who would then still be with you when decisions are made to extend or trade Wig and Jul.

Could even BE FVV.

Van Vleet, Barrett, Wiggins, Randle, Robinson/insert defensive tough guy center

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: January 18, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »

Oh, plus the draft pick - how could I forget - - could be Chip's Wiseman, my guy Carey, LaMelo - or even our future at PG (Mannion or Anthony) - or as pogo stick with huge upside like Jaylen MCdaniels

If we drafted a guy like Edwards then RJ could move to the three - Wiggins could play 4 in a small starting lineup.  Or Edwards couldcome off the pine initially.  Or maybe Barrett just becomes the 1.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: January 18, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »

Wiggins, KAT, Covington and Teague only managed 4 more W's than the Knix have.  I don't see how Uncle Wiggy helps us win.  And he kind of takes more or less the same minutes as RJB.  Wiggy isn't a 3-point shooter.  Isn't he just a more expensive more experienced Barrett?
When they had Butler, the Wolves also underperformed.

Knix really need shooters.
Ball whizzes around the perimeter leading to an open corner 3 for  ... Elf.  Clank.  Teams don't worry about Elf, RJB, Franc, Jr. Smith, shooting 3's.  If there's a threat, they sag into the paint and let these guys have shots.

Knox and Dot and Randle don't instill fear either.  And neither would Wiggins.  It really mucks up the spacing, as Knix don't stretch the floor.  Only Morris.  Keep track of one 3-point shooter, clog the middle and let others shoot.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: January 18, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »

Wiggins, KAT, Covington and Teague only managed 4 more W's than the Knix have.  I don't see how Uncle Wiggy helps us win.  And he kind of takes more or less the same minutes as RJB.  Wiggy isn't a 3-point shooter.  Isn't he just a more expensive more experienced Barrett?
When they had Butler, the Wolves also underperformed.

Knix really need shooters.
Ball whizzes around the perimeter leading to an open corner 3 for  ... Elf.  Clank.  Teams don't worry about Elf, RJB, Franc, Jr. Smith, shooting 3's.  If there's a threat, they sag into the paint and let these guys have shots.

Knox and Dot and Randle don't instill fear either.  And neither would Wiggins.  It really mucks up the spacing, as Knix don't stretch the floor.  Only Morris.  Keep track of one 3-point shooter, clog the middle and let others shoot.

Agree that Van Vleet might be a stretch, but I have seen him beat up rather convincingly on other than second uniters.  Would rather roll the dice on an over achiever than an under achiever.  Worth noting that it took Lowry a while to find his focus and define his mojo. 

Wiggins does not space the floor.  Nor is there much evidence he makes his team mates better. 

The Draft?

I've seen Edwards defined as a combo guard.  That remains to be seen. 

The 6'8" Ball is intriguing as a PG.  But the presence of his father strikes me as having the potential for truly toxic chemistry. 

Wiseman fills a need for an athletic, all around 5, with the potential to evolve over time with some stretch 4 attributes.  Least ways, some Rik Smits range. 

God forbid we should be so fucking lucky. 

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: January 18, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »

I'm still a fan of some nuanced trades that open a  roster spot or two.

Say, Portis and DSJ for Bazemore and Portland's second-rounder.

Gallinari, Ferguson, and Patton for Randle and Ellington.

That would open a spot for a G-League sharp-shooter.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: January 18, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »

Arent many in the league capable of getting 20 a night

Sadly you remind me that our own Frank Ntilikina is still waiting for the first 20pt game of his career.

cue Lester
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1848