Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899237 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #1080 on: October 10, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »

Thanks for the update, Chipper.

Yeah, my guess as well is that Miami balked at including Adebayo. 

Miami being fiscally proper - but Dieng is a pretty good player - imagine - keeping salary mess out of it - how they could reign in the East with the addition of that duo - or at leastv give the top 3 a great run.

My sense of things is that Minny is not trying to move Butler. 

Thibs has a dim bulb of an owner, and it's pretty clear that both he and Layden are on the clock. 

I am quite sure that Pat Riley feels as though Butler could be the missing piece towards possibly coming out of the East against Boston and Toronto, and that his organization's existing culture is such that it would transmute Butler and not the other way around. 

Also not sure it's simply a matter of Miami being financially proper, vis a vis Dieng. 

MIAMI has the HIGHEST PAYROLL in the NBA. 

I believe it comes down more to the fact that Dieng would be kind of redundant, and that adding him and his salary to any deal would necessitate Miami giving back some more young talents to make the number line up: Adebayo, Winslow.  Riles ain't going to do it. 

And again, Minny is a contending team in the West with Butler.  Taking back young players and draft picks puts Thibs back in re-build mode, and possibly on the unemployment line.  He will try and out-wait Butler, unless his owner intervenes, which every day becomes more of a possibility, as he loses patience with Tom and Scott. 

I believe most of the GMs in the league realize this, and as a result, are in no hurry to sweeten the pot. 

Such as the Clippers?  Sure, why not, but Jerry West didn't just fall off the back of a turnip truck, and he ain't going to include Tobias Harris in any deal.  Danilo Gallinari?  Sure, why not.  Good enough for the Wolves?  I doubt it. 

Trading two starters and a #1 to the Bulls for Butler has blown up in Thibs' face.  And whether the perception of Butler being an irascible type who does not get on with team mates is fair, that is the impression he is promulgating both through the timing of his demands, and the manner in which he has steadfastly refused to work out with his current team, even though he is still getting paid.   

Patience is a virtue, and as opening day looms, who knows.

Scott Perry was exceptionally patient with Melo, and made an honest effort to get him to the team of his choice.  When that boat had plainly sailed, and Perry had made it clear he was not going to be hog-tied into accepting a bad deal, having rekindled diplomatic relations with Anthony since the departure of Phool, he was able the day before training camp opened, to get Melo to relent and offer other teams he would accept a move to.  Resulting in a good deal for both teams, though one year removed, a much better deal for NY than we had any hopes of seeing.

Can only figure that if this isn't Layden's approach, then he is trying to maneuver Butler into staying for his Coach.  Difference is, that Perry was answering to Mills, as Dolan kept his distance, while in Wolves owner Glenn Taylor, a Thousand Sheets Longer Scott is a dealing with a considerably dimmer bulb...

And he wants Butler...G-O-N-E. 

Stay tuned. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:42:56 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
This Just In
« Reply #1081 on: October 10, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »

All-Star Jimmy Butler participated in the Minnesota Timberwolves’ practice on Wednesday, a session that included him verbally challenging teammates, coaches and front office executives, league sources told ESPN. Butler was vociferous and emotional at times, targeting president/coach Tom Thibodeau, general manager Scott Layden and teammates Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins, league sources said. He had not practiced with the team so far this season after requesting a trade three weeks ago.
– via ESPN

Adrian Wojnarowski: At one point in a scrimmage, sources said, Butler turned to GM Scott Layden and screamed, “You (bleeping) need me. You can’t win without me.” Butler left teammates and coaches largely speechless. He dominated the gym in every way. Jimmy’s back.
– via Twitter wojespn

Darren Wolfson: Here’s Tolliver and Teague on Butler, who did practice today – neither would fully confirm. Another player via text when I asked how Butler looked: “I’m legally blind!” Also, RIP me. I have now officially died on the hill of Butler never wearing a #Twolves uniform again. pic.twitter.com/nk20gWmm7B
– via Twitter DWolfsonKSTP

HEY, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 10, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »

chipstern

• View Profile
A High Five To The Prophet Kiid From An Unexpected Source
« Reply #1083 on: October 10, 2018, 07:18:03 PM »

Ian Begley: NYK rookie Mitchell Robinson, who didn’t play organized basketball last season, on spending some time with the Knicks’ G League team: “Honestly, I feel it would help a lot.”
– via Twitter IanBegley

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 10, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »

There are a number of guys who would benefit from some G-League shuffling

Mitch Rob, Knox, Dotson, Frank, and if they all stay on the big roster, Kornet, Baker, and Mudiay.

The Butler vs. Minny stand-off has really killed the mood for preseason trades.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 10, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »

There are a number of guys who would benefit from some G-League shuffling

Mitch Rob, Knox, Dotson, Frank, and if they all stay on the big roster, Kornet, Baker, and Mudiay.

The Butler vs. Minny stand-off has really killed the mood for preseason trades.

Mmmmm...

Dotson and Kornet did their time last season. 

Knox, Ntilikina, Baker, Mudiay?

This does nothing for their confidence, nor does it fast track their growth.  They need to play against the big dogs. 

Fizz seems inclined to give Mitch rotation minutes, but getting 30-35 minutes a night in G League might facilitate Mitchell's offensive game in terms of post-ups and jump shots, not to mention building up his endurance. 

Opening night is what, one week from tonight?

Knicks have some interesting decisions to make. 

Trier certainly making a case for himself. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »

Melo deal

I dont see it as to our benefit if

a)  Mudiay doesnt have the reins

and

b)   Knicks show no interest in keeping Kanter

Getting just a second rounder makes it now a POOR deal.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »

Mudiay hasn’t shown he can keep hold of the reins when given the chance to grasp them.

Kanter might be around longer than I and many others figured, if that's what he still wants.

I don’t think you can give use all your fouls & play gassed some games to our youth at the big league level. At the show, you’ve got to manage these guys’ minutes. GLeage lets them work on things in live action till they get them right. This helps them perform better at the top level when they come back up. It only hurts if you think of it as a demotion rather than a crash course. Miller has proven to be a good supplemental instructor during his Wee Knicks tenure so far. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 11, 2018, 01:11:43 AM »

Melo deal

I dont see it as to our benefit if

a)  Mudiay doesnt have the reins

and

b)   Knicks show no interest in keeping Kanter

Getting just a second rounder makes it now a POOR deal.

Hardly. 

That pick turned into Mitchell Robinson. 

Or are your still invested in running him down and explaining to Knicks fans how we have over valued him? 

As for Mudiay and Kanter, Fizz does not seem to be undervaluing them, and as remote as our free agent options look to be next summer, I don't think we should be greasing the skids for either of them to be cut loose. 

We surely saw how much we missed Kanter the other night. 

And as for Mudiay, as tentative as he still appears as a jump shooter and finisher, his passing was superb against the Wizards, and he was focused on D.  So the jury is still out, and Fizz does not strike me as the type to cry Uncle, be it Mudiay or Hezonja or Timmy. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 11, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »

This is CARMELO ANTHONY we are talking about

A 1 and a 2 yields......well - a 1 and Robinson.

Am I wrong about getting nothing in the end with Kanter - unless we deal him midway on this year?

Hope for Mudiay (the McDermott spot)?  We will know soon.  MINUTES the first handful of games will tell if Fiz has any inclination of Emmanuel being here long term.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 11, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »

Now....

if we win 40+ games and make the playoffs.......something I would NEVER - heh - PREDICT -

yeah, Kanter addition sure had major relevance.

Not Knicks fault KP went down (if you see us as 40+ with a  full strength Latvian)?  OK, I will give you that too.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 11, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »

I would be conservative on Knicks win # as I see zero reason to rush KP back.

get him healthy, develop kids, get a juicy lottery pick

the future ain't this year

I think the o/u is 28, so i might go 24

Celts if healthy and lucky might push 60 this year.

FYI an interesting story out of the town you guys love to hate is that Ainge and Rozier are negotiating a 4-year $14-16m per year extension for KI's back-up .

In addition to the KI insurance, Rozier at that salary level is nice chip to help match-up in a trade package.

chipstern

• View Profile
Kanter
« Reply #1092 on: October 11, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »

The presumption that Kanter is out of here, or that he won't be re-upped, is specious.

Enes WANTS to be here, and gives us a skill set and toughness at the 5-spot.  Right now, he and Timmy are our two best players. 

[Insert Snarky Comments Here]

Knicks "fans" as is inevitable, pine for what they don't have, and piss away at what we DO HAVE. 

But hey, what do I know...

Finally, you were a champion of the Knicks accepting whatever detritus Houston offered us.  Perry resisted until Carmelo relented. 

The deal we got was the best one on the table. 

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 11, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »

NY is leaving it's options open.  if NY wanted EK for a long term deal now I'm sure he would jump on it..

they don't need to make that decision now.  they did not offer KP his deal now so they could open a little more room for next year. 

they understand adding an A level player is part of the plan. KP understands this and is on board.  one of the reasons   for KP to come back and play some games is for next year's recruitment process.  the other is for his development. i have no interest in risking his health at any cost however.   Will any Type A free agent  take their money is the question?

I think someone will.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Kanter
« Reply #1094 on: October 11, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »

The presumption that Kanter is out of here, or that he won't be re-upped, is specious.

Enes WANTS to be here, and gives us a skill set and toughness at the 5-spot.  Right now, he and Timmy are our two best players. 

[Insert Snarky Comments Here]

Knicks "fans" as is inevitable, pine for what they don't have, and piss away at what we DO HAVE. 

But hey, what do I know...

Finally, you were a champion of the Knicks accepting whatever detritus Houston offered us.  Perry resisted until Carmelo relented. 

The deal we got was the best one on the table.

Anderson plus a #1, was it?

hmmm.........
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 1844