Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 917639 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Rethinking Ball & Other Options
« Reply #11865 on: May 01, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »

Rethinking Ball, it would be worth waiting on his D and we should pick him if he’s available.

If Ball is available where we pick, I am fine with selecting him. However packaging a shitload of assets and draft choices to select him seems counterproductive. As in it would be nice if he actually had some people to pass the ball to.

If we stay at number #6 or #7, it would seem that Anthony or Halliburton represent our best available choices, unless of course there are 3-4-5 options that trump them in terms of best available player upside.  Both are powerful offensive presences, though their viability as a rudder remains to be seen.  Still, look how Morant's dynamic talent in creating for himself opened things up for his team mates, irrespective of his talent as a distributor.  God knows, we need a consistent threat at the 1-spot. 

I would be fine with either of then, though I suppose I'm leaning a bit more towards Halliburton because of his size 3-point range and a better track record as a defender. But I suspect Anthony would be really motivated and a viable roll of the dice.  He IS a dynamic scorer.

I am however, my total respect for Chris Paul notwithstanding, hesitant about picking him up via trade. Yes he would certainly contribute to a more competitive environment, but we are not that far along with our youth movement, and it would strangle our cap flex.

Still, if Anthony and French Frank (and perhaps one of Peyton-Smith-Allen) make up our PG scrum going forward, there are worse scenarios than having Paul as a backcourt mentor and Gibson as a front court  vet.

But offloading draft picks?

Please God.

NO
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:11:03 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11866 on: May 01, 2020, 01:09:55 PM »

I don't think we'd have to toss in Knox.
Using a DAL 1st and Elf to move up 3 or 4 draft slots to get Ball is good if we are sold on him.  Elf would be expendable and replaced by Ball.  So for NYK it'd just be the DAL circa #16 pick to get your guy.
Not sure if any team higher than us is up for it.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: May 01, 2020, 01:15:39 PM »

I don't think we'd have to toss in Knox.
Using a DAL 1st and Elf to move up 3 or 4 draft slots to get Ball is good if we are sold on him.  Elf would be expendable and replaced by Ball.  So for NYK it'd just be the DAL circa #16 pick to get your guy.
Not sure if any team higher than us is up for it.

Nah. 

If we are going to pony up a pick, then it should be 2023...IF THAT. 

We paid too dearly for those picks. 

Moving up in the draft?

To me that is irresponsible. 

If we are going to be ponying up one of the Dallas picks, it should not be for positioning, but for a player. 

Lauri Markkanen?

That would minimally require a draft pick, and perhaps taking back a contract...

Such as

Julius Randle, Dennis Smith, Dallas 2021 #1.

For Markkanen and Thaddeus Young who makes 13.5 and 14.2 through 2022.  Not thrilled with taking back Young.  Just a thought.  Decent role player, can give you coverage at the 3 & 4, shoot the trey, play some D, respectable boards and assists....lousy FT shooter, not that he gets to the FT line very much.  And is 31 and on the down low. 

Otto Porter?  I checked.  Cannot be traded this off season. 

But Lauri would be a better fit for us moving forward. 

Wendell Carter and Randle at C & PF would give the Bulls interior presence. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:41:08 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: May 01, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »

Not a fan of trading away picks, but it's okay if it's an extra pick, and not ours, since we tend to lose a lot and have high draft picks.  DAL with Luka, KZ, Carlisle, Cuban are stable and going to get draft picks around 16-20.  Those can be parted with.  Value them for what they are, without worry about how we acquired them (foolishly).

I like Markaanen alot.
Would prefer him to Portis.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: May 01, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »

Not a fan of trading away picks, but it's okay if it's an extra pick, and not ours, since we tend to lose a lot and have high draft picks.  DAL with Luka, KZ, Carlisle, Cuban are stable and going to get draft picks around 16-20.  Those can be parted with.  Value them for what they are, without worry about how we acquired them (foolishly).

I like Markaanen alot.
Would prefer him to Portis.

I'm not as down on Portis as a lot of folks. 

Thought his game was evolving as the season came down to the final stanzas.  Randle, too, for that matter. 

I suppose the main argument against Julius is that he is more of an old school 4, forcing action inside, often over reliant on forcing the issue thereof, and into the hands of a double or triple team.  His trey was getting better as the year progressed, but not his strong suit. 

Face it, we need everything. 

PS: Not as sanguine as the BoD-ster about offloading #1 picks,  ANY NUMBER ONE PICKS.  Too many sour memories of the Marbury, Curry and Anthony Trades.  Always a source of regret.  For instance, know who the second #1 pick in the Marbury trade turned into?  GORDON HAYWARD. 

PPS: Dallas is a KP injury away from a much more delectable draft position.  Not suggesting it might happen, or hoping that it WILL happen.  And the next full season with the Mavs could be Porzingis' breakout year.  But he on stilts and does have a history of injuries.  Just saying that you do NOT want to assume too much about another team's draft picks.  The Celtics turned Gerald Henderson into Len Bias [SIGH] and no one foresaw that the #1 they picked up would turn into such an asset.  SORRY, Bo, but I do not share your confidence that the Dallas #1 picks are so readily disposable. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11870 on: May 01, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »

Is Detroit taking Ball at 5?

YES

Is Atlanta taking Ball at 4?

Likely NO.

Thus the next deal to look at is with the Hawks - in the event that LaMelo does not get selected 1, 2 or 3.

We need to leapfrog DET - thus deal with the Hawks to get their top pick, #4 overall.

Ideas?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: May 01, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »

Trade candidates - Hawks

Duane Dedmon -   2 years , 13.3 mil per
(note:  I don't think they deal Capela)

Jeff Teague - sign and trade

DeAndre Bembry - sign and trade

Skai LaBissiere - sign and trade

Bruno Fernando - 2 years, 1.5 and 1.8 mil

Picks -  this year's #4 overall
           this year's second - #53

2021 Atlanta 1st rounder
           2022 Atlanta first rounder
           2022  first round pick, from OKC, 1-14 protected

various second round picks

Teague sign and trade rather than a Paul deal?
3 year deal would be his 32-34 aged seasons
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:09:41 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: May 01, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »

Keeping Chip's Knox out of it.......

Teague (3 years, 45 mil) , #4 and #53

for

#6, #25 and Ignas Brazdekis

(Knicks may need to renounce a FA player or 2 prior to the deal)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11873 on: May 01, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »

NBA future traded picks page, all 30 teams

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: May 01, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »

Ball likely goes Top 3.

Knix desperate for a starting PG.  IF they like Ball enough, it's worth the risk of offloading a likely mid-1st rounder. 

Knix would add the young Ball.  Have RJB, Mitch, probably Knox and Generalisimo Franco.  And we'd be adding next year's 1st rounder.  How many yute and rook contract guys do you want on your team?  Another reason the likely mid-1st is expendable.  Upgrade your quality since we already have a quantity of yute.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: May 01, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »

Knicks quiz for the day

6 point guards who have played for the Knicks are in the top 30 all time in NBA assist percentage

(assist percentage is defined as an estimate of percentage of teammates field goals the player assisted on while on the court)

Who are the six - and who is the only one in the top ten?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11876 on: May 01, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »

Kidd
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: May 01, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »

Ball likely goes Top 3.

Knix desperate for a starting PG.  IF they like Ball enough, it's worth the risk of offloading a likely mid-1st rounder. 

Knix would add the young Ball.  Have RJB, Mitch, probably Knox and Generalisimo Franco.  And we'd be adding next year's 1st rounder.  How many yute and rook contract guys do you want on your team?  Another reason the likely mid-1st is expendable.  Upgrade your quality since we already have a quantity of yute.

Analysts I have read feel Frank and Dennis will not be offered deals after 2020-21 - so there goes two "yute"

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: May 01, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11879 on: May 01, 2020, 04:29:54 PM »

Marc Jax
Strickland
Clyde
Mo Cheeks