Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907750 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #12840 on: August 11, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »

The New York Knicks have hired Kentucky associate head coach Kenny Payne as an assistant coach, the team announced.

Payne, 53, is the first formal addition to new coach Tom Thibodeau's coaching staff with the Knicks.

"I'm thrilled that Kenny has joined my staff as an assistant coach. He has an outstanding ability to forge relationships with players and improve their skills," Thibodeau said in a statement. "He knows what it takes to win and has learned from one of the best coaches there is in John Calipari.

So Payne would have been Knox's coach his one year at Kentucky.
Maybe that can help ...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:06:16 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Context
« Reply #12841 on: August 11, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »

Respect seems like an unnecessary thing to add into the discussion.
Who or what am I disrespecting by making a grammar error?
Why would anyone actually take offense?

BoZ, I don't think you made your "funny" comment with malice, so I'll try to explain.

CONTEXT

Again, a low-paid Kanter as a backup on a good team -- what's not to like?
A highly paid Kanter starting on a bad team -- mucho problemos.

When you're responding to a Hispanic person in regular English and throw in a couple of words in intentional or unintentional bad Spanish, you come thru as condescending, as if the language and its speakers are funny, not to be taken seriously, you know, just those funny people. Why don't you throw in a couple of words in Farsi or French? Maybe "those people" are not "funny". Why not keep your reasoning unbroken, like "many problems". You see, if I understood the low-paid Kanter and the highly paid Kanter parts, I'm likely to understand the "many problems" part.

My guess is that you don't have many Hispanic friends, because I can tell you that I'm not the only one who would take offense. Even the question of "Why would anyone actually take offense?" is condescending. Maybe if you replace Latinos for another group that you may know better that is also found "funny" for how they look or how they speak or for anything else, then you would understand "Why would anyone actually take offense."

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Chico or Trump made a clueless comment. But I think you're better than that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:24:28 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: August 11, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »

Okay, taken under advisement.
I thought you were objecting to my making a language error, and that confused me.
Sometimes it's easy to forget/fail to consider that there are actual people behind the posting here.  And though it bothered you, you didn't make a big thing about it.

I do think Spanish is America's second language and most folks know at least a smattering of it.  I thought I at least knew Spanish phrases okay, and see that I have some of them wrong.  Been too long.  Otherwise, I wish I knew some Farsi and I'm extremely limited in French, even have a lot of trouble spelling their language.  Hope my niece can actually speak Spanish okay.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Language
« Reply #12843 on: August 11, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »

BoZ, I could care less about a language error. My English in not perfect after more than 30 years in the US.

Now, Prenez soin de vous et veillez à votre sécurité.

PS. I copied this French phrase from a web translator. I think it means take care and stay safe. Peace ☮️
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 04:46:49 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: August 11, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »

Czarlos, we can all be clueless now and then.

French leaves me befuddled.  I probably should do a one month online course just to get some basic vocab down.  Russian as well, since I plan to tackle Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Kazakhstan and maybe Uzbekistan in the next year or two, depending when international travel becomes a thing again.  I think right now if I leave China, I wouldn't be allowed to return -- though I'm a bit unclear on the specific rules.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Embrace The Payne
« Reply #12845 on: August 11, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »

Interesting hire for Thibs & Rose. 

Obviously, or not so obviously, Payne mentored both Randle and Knox at Kentucky. 

My projection is that the Knicks are invested, least ways, over the next season, in giving both Julius and Kevin a long, long look. 

I understand the reservations on both, but think there is too much talent to simply bail and reboot.

The Knicks need to develop some patience with their pups.  From Rod Strickland and Trevor Ariza, through _______ & _______, the Knicks, like Steinbrenner's Yankees, too often gave up on young talent. 

Such as the received wisdom (read Dipshit Berman) as to Knox's weak motor and Randle's point forward obsession. 

COACHING.  COACHING.  COACHING.

What direction did Fizdale offer.  Besides weaponizing Randle's weaknesses?  Julius clearly forced the issue far too often, but the notion of him as a point forward facilitating the offense always seemed dubious.  And as someone has pointed out, Knox was progressing in his decision making and aggression, defense and shot blocking, in the season's final stanza. 

Imperfect?

Obviously. 

But presently, what are our alternatives in the short term? 

Now Dennis Smith?  When he first got here, showed some serious talent and energy, but regressed badly last season. 

Draft lottery on August 20. 

If we are in a position to grab Ball or Edwards at our draft slots, that will be telling for the likes of RJ & Dot, Ntilikina & Dennis, let alone Randle & Knox. 

Likewise, do Knicks go for best available PG, or best available talent?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12846 on: August 11, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »

Gauging the promise of our pups is one of the key tasks of our front office and coaching staff. Adding 3 guys this year to the group in hand gives them a lot of pups to sort through. It’s why I don’t mind consolidation of picks to move up. It’s going to be puppy central. Let’s see what pups can keep up with Thib’s program and carve out roles as positive contributors to the team.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Whenever you start feeling bad about KP for Dennis Smith jr...
« Reply #12847 on: August 12, 2020, 12:07:10 AM »

certainly one of the worst trades in modern basketball history

just remember that the pick that became Damian Lillard for the earthly remains of Gerald Wallace was WORSE

and feel better.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Re: Whenever you start feeling bad about KP for Dennis Smith jr...
« Reply #12848 on: August 12, 2020, 12:24:37 AM »

certainly one of the worst trades in modern basketball history

just remember that the pick that became Damian Lillard for the earthly remains of Gerald Wallace was WORSE

and feel better.

Les, you my doggie.

You also my therapist.

I do feel a lot better now 🙄

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: August 12, 2020, 07:34:03 AM »

2012 was a relatively weak draft, especially the 1st round.
You have Brow Davis, Beal and Lillard.
After that probably 2nd rounders Dray Green and Middleton.
Then solidish player like Harrison Barnes, Fournier.
Crowder and Will Barton two more 2nd round players.
Weird draft.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:36:30 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12850 on: August 12, 2020, 07:37:43 AM »

Knick Trivia:

Which ex-Knick was known as Bar Mitzvah Man during his stint on NYK?

Answer in the link ...
Edit: And now I see our man in a rare start just missed a triple-double by one point last night.  Dang.  They couldn't find him a point somewhere?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:40:56 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Embrace The Payne
« Reply #12851 on: August 12, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »

Now Dennis Smith?  When he first got here, showed some serious talent and energy, but regressed badly last season. 

It was a lost season for Jr. Smith.
But I wouldn't say that means that's all we can expect going forward.
Hopefully he can get his head and body right, work hard in the offseason, and be ready for next season.  He'll have a contract coming up not too far off, and he'll want us to pick up his option (I think that's where he's at).  Money and pride are good motivators.  And Knix at least need to up his value, so both parties with an incentive to improve things.

I'm still up for a full season of Knox and Smith.  Confidence is a huge part of the game, especially for a neophyte.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:29:21 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #12852 on: August 12, 2020, 09:36:21 AM »

Lillard deserves praise for dropping 61.  But in a must win game, and with McCollum hurting, Melo went for 26 & 8 on 60% shooting from everywhere.  35 mins and a team high +/- among the starters.

KZ with 36 & 6 (7/9 on treys).  A pair of blocks.  We should have gotten at least 2 or 3 Dennis Smiths in that trade ....

Btw, catch Dev Book if you get a chance.  Guy is playing some high-level ball.  Just doing what he wants.  Getting his shots, drawing fouls, making some sweet passes. Impressive the last few games.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:44:12 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12854 on: August 12, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »

2012 was a relatively weak draft, especially the 1st round.
You have Brow Davis, Beal and Lillard.
After that probably 2nd rounders Dray Green and Middleton.
Then solidish player like Harrison Barnes, Fournier.
Crowder and Will Barton two more 2nd round players.
Weird draft.

hahaha - you missed so many.
Pages: 1 ... 855 856 [857] 858 859 ... 1847