Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899896 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #13500 on: September 24, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »

Okongwu and Vassell are two guys I quite like.
Sign me up for a 3&D wing like Vassell appears to be.
Shooting and D are two Knick needs.

Last game you can see what I find intriguing about Jerami Grant.
Guarded LeBJ well and found time to score 26, with 10-12 FT's.
The guy is tough and fearless.  I liked when he took a charge with AD running over him late 3Q.  And early 3Q he stole a feeble AD pass and sprinted down court with LBJ on his right and AD left, and bodied slightly into LBJ to take him out of the play and then finished with a layup to the right away form AD.

That's why I think he can expand his game.  And the good thing about two-way players is they can contribute tough D even when their O is off.  Two issues: is Jerami too passive at times?  and can he be consistent?  I'd much rather Grant hustling his butt off than Portis' pointless aggression.

I was going to suggest we make a run at Willy's bro Juancho, who turns 25 in a few days.  But I see that he had a good 14 game run with Minny:
45.3% FG   & 42% on 3's (2.1-4.9) = 13 pts in  30 mins a night + 7.3 boardage.
So Minny is going to want to keep him.  Never much of a defender from what I recall.  But a much cheaper option than say Bertans.

I've been meaning to skim through rosters and drop my list of FA or trade targets.
So far I have Jer Grant, Juancho and Giles on my radar.  And I like SAC's Bogdanovich.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Devin Vassell
« Reply #13501 on: September 24, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »

NBA Comparison: Kelly Oubre/Kent Bazemore

6'7" 200 lbs

Strengths: One of the most athletic wings in this year’s NBA draft … Shows a lot of promise as a wing that can contribute on both ends of the floor … High flyer. Explosive leaper. When he has an opening to the basket, regularly finishes with highlight dunks … Smooth offensive game, makes it look easy … Fluid athlete who runs the floor well …

Good length, Possesses a near 7-foot wingspan … Has an athletic body … Shot 41% from three in both of his seasons at Florida State (knocking down 19 and 48 in his two seasons) … Hit 1.5 threes per game over a full college season, a solid sample size to project his ability as a shooter and scorer at the next level … Showed vast improvement from his freshman year, (4.5 to 12.7 ppg) after receiving a much greater opportunity to be a focal point of the offense …

Shows the ability to handle the ball and create offense off the dribble … Can pull up off the dribble and knock down shots consistently … Mid-range game showed solid improvement as a sophomore. Adept at improvising on drives and creating shots when there are openings … Has a go to move with his step back jumper, that he utilizes well to create space for shots … High release point on his shot is a positive …

Wiry strong. Plays stronger than his frame and doesn’t get affected much by contact … Very good rebounder considering his thin frame, 5.1 rebounds per game stands out as a wing playing 28 min per game … Has a reputation for being a tough competitor … Unselfish player who passes willingly and is an underrated passer … A competitor who showed the ability to perform well in clutch situations. It would have been fun to see what he could have done in this year’s NCAA tourney

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13502 on: September 24, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »

West G3.  Lakes down big.  Rondo gets 3 steals in about 2 minutes fueling a Lake rally.  but then last 2 mins of a tight game Rondo makes 3 mistakes.  Tries to push off an elbows Milsap for an offensive foul.  Leaves Milsap alone under the rim for a late clock easy bucket.  Left wide open, Rondo clanks a 3.

Jamal Murray the breakout player of these playoffs.  Had 12 assists, and made some terrific plays down the stretch -- after a bunch of early 4Q turnovers.  Real nice on his drives how he stops, maintains balance and makes shots look easy.  And some killer 3-bombs. 

Good series.  Would be a great series if AD missed the G2 last shot ...

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Herro Ball V Murray State [of the ART]
« Reply #13503 on: September 24, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »

West G3.  Lakes down big.  Rondo gets 3 steals in about 2 minutes fueling a Lake rally.  but then last 2 mins of a tight game Rondo makes 3 mistakes.  Tries to push off an elbows Milsap for an offensive foul.  Leaves Milsap alone under the rim for a late clock easy bucket.  Left wide open, Rondo clanks a 3.

Jamal Murray the breakout player of these playoffs.  Had 12 assists, and made some terrific plays down the stretch -- after a bunch of early 4Q turnovers.  Real nice on his drives how he stops, maintains balance and makes shots look easy.  And some killer 3-bombs. 

Good series.  Would be a great series if AD missed the G2 last shot ...

Murray is a fucking stud.

As well he should be, seeing as how he was the final asset the Knicks gave up to Denver in the Melo Trade.

And Jokic is insane.  What a skill set and competitive edge, and he manages to split the difference between old school centers and post-small ball Stertch 4.  Late/End Of First Rounder was he not?  Too bad Ainge didn't trade up, eh? 

I would say in terms of break-out players, Herro right up there.  He is growing logarhythmically quarter by quarter.  Incredible all around skillset and confidence. A PAT RILEY PLAYER DOWN TO HIS TOES.

Tyler and Bam give Miami brood mares for the next ten years.  Given their Kentucky Lineage, I would suspect the Knicks are going to be very patient with both of our KENTUCKY alumni, Julius Randle and Kevin Knox, now that we have Kenny Payne working with them in the bubble. 

JERAMI GRANT

All you said he was. 

Would be a great pickup for Coach Thibs.

Alas, I feel like this is another Jaylen Brown wet dream.  Cannot comprehend why he would consider leaving THIS NUGGETS TEAM, with all of their young talent and chemistry, or why the Nuggets wouldn't lock him up. 

For what it's worth, NBA DRAFT has Haliburton and Vassell falling into our laps at #8. 

Late first round scrum is interesting. 

23    Utah   Kira Lewis   6-3   170   PG   Alabama   So.

24    *Milwaukee   Nico Mannion   6-3   190   PG   Arizona   Fr.

25    *Oklahoma City   RJ Hampton   6-4   175   PG/SG   USA   Intl.

26    Boston   Jahmius Ramsey   6-4   190   PG/SG   Texas Tech   Fr.

27    *New York   Zeke Nnaji   6-11   240    PF/C   Arizona   Fr.

28    LA Lakers    Devon Dotson   6-1   185   PG   Kansas   So.

29    Toronto   Tyler Bey   6-7   215   PF    Colorado   Jr.

30    *Boston   Daniel Oturu   6-10   240   C   Minnesota   So.

Nnaji viewed as a prototypical stretch 4, and the NBA comparisons they listed were PJ Brown and....

And....AND...JORDAN HILL.  Be still my heart. 

37    *Washington   Isaiah Joe   6-5   165   PG/SG   Arkansas   So.

38    *New York   Filip Petrusev   6-11   225   C   Gonzaga   So.

39    *New Orleans   Udoka Azubuike   6-11   280   C   Kansas   Sr.

40    *Memphis   Aleksej Pokusevski   7-0   190   C   Serbia   Intl.

We shall see....

Oh, and finally, rumor of a Buddy Hield trade to Philly.  Hield endorsed it in an Instagram Post. 

We

Shall

See

chipstern

• View Profile
The ART Of Drafting SMART [The Significance Of The WALT PERRIN Hiring]
« Reply #13504 on: September 24, 2020, 03:54:59 PM »

Actually, was a second rounder....Yikes. 

One might opine as how all of those second rounders that Phool Jagoof and other Knicks front office geniuses gave away could have considerable long term value.

Ah, but CHIP, we did have a second rounder in the 2014 Draft. 

Do tell? 

Read 'em and WEEP Knicks fans. 

While Phool did make a good call on Damyean Dotson with a #2 pick (whom I pray remains a Knick, I mean, size, can nail the trey, excellent three point shooter)....2014?  Well....YOU MAKE THE CALL.   

#34 Cleanthony Early

#38 Spencer Dinwiddie

#39 Jerami Grant

#41 Nikola Jokic

#46 Jordan Clarkson

And PHOOL's final draft, in 2017, when he foudn Dotson in the second round?   

#8 Frank Ntiliknia

#13 Donovan Mitchell

#14 Bam Adebayo

#23 OG Anunoby

SIGH

One of Rose's early hires was WALT PERRIN--Utah Jazz VP of Player Personnel--to be the Knicks new assistant GM and head of college scouting. Perrin spent nearly 20 years with the Utah Jazz, overseeing their draft process, from organizing workouts to advanced scouting.

"....due to the Jazz’ success, they have often drafted players outside of the lottery in the mid-to-late slots of the first round. Drafting mid-to-late round picks requires a deft understanding of scouting and networking with players and agents. It’s not uncommon to see lottery picks drop down past the early first round due to a multitude of factors. The skillset Perrin possesses reinforces these traits." 

WALT PERRIN'S Top 10?

10) Mo Williams: 2003 NBA Draft (47th Overall Pick)
9) Enes Kanter: 2011 NBA Draft (3rd Overall Pick)
8) Ronnie Brewer: 2006 NBA Draft (14th Overall Pick)
7) C.J. Miles 2005 NBA Draft (34th Overall Pick)
6) Rodney Hood: 2014 NBA Draft (23rd Overall Pick)
5) Paul Millsap: 2006 NBA Draft (47th Overall Pick)
4) Gordon Hayward: 2010 NBA Draft (9th Overall Pick) [Final #1 Asset From Stephon Marbury Trade]
3) Deron Williams: 2005 NBA Draft (3rd Overall Pick)

The Utah Jazz originally held the 6th and the 27th overall picks in the 2005 NBA Draft. The Portland Trailblazers held the 3rd overall pick in the draft. The Trailblazers had their eyes set on Martell Webster, whom they considered one of the best shooting guards in the draft. Additionally, they entrusted in Sebastian Telfair, drafted 13th overall in the 2004 NBA Draft, as their franchise point guard.

The Jazz, on the other hand, had their eyes on both Chris Paul & Deron Williams. The Jazz were afraid both would be picked before the 6th pick. In fact, Walt Perrin convinced then-GM Kevin O’Connor to trade up to acquire one of them. As O’Connor recalled to Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic, Perrin told him that “We have to get one of those two guys because they’re going to be a franchise changer.”

The Jazz were torn between CP3 & Williams. It was a decision made alongside O’Connor, Perrin, team president Denny Haslam, & then-coach Jerry Sloan. Ultimately, the decision was made to select Williams over Paul for several reasons. Sloan preferred his fit in the offense, his interview with the team, and his size.

The Jazz & Blazers pulled the trigger on the trade hours before the draft. The Jazz dealt both of their 1st round picks along with a 2006 1st round pick to the Blazers for the #3 pick [Hmmmmm, sounds suspiciously like the proposed Warriors Knicks Trade where the Knicks would pick Ball]

2) Donovan Mitchell: 2017 NBA Draft (13th Overall Pick)

One of Walt Perrin’s greatest finds was scouting Donovan Mitchell and convincing the Jazz not only to draft him, but to trade up to the 13th overall pick to acquire him. At the cost of just Trey Lyles and the 24th overall pick in the draft, that’s more than a heist.

Perrin convinced the Jazz to move up to select Mitchell after being impressed by a pre-draft workout he orchestrated with Mitchell’s agent, who Perrin has a strong relationship with. It is a great example of how Perrin used his connections and scouting acumen to identify a sleeper in the draft.

* Please Note: The Jazz flipped the #24 and Lyles for the #13 with....DENVER.

1) Rudy Gobert: 2013 NBA Draft (27th Overall Pick)

It seems like the Utah Jazz love to fleece the Denver Nuggets in draft-day trades during the 2010s. The Nuggets weren’t interested in keeping their first round pick. To save money, the Nuggets agreed to trade their first round pick, 27th overall, to the Jazz for the 46th overall pick and cash considerations.

The Jazz, in return, drafted Rudy Gobert and the rest is history.

Heading into the draft, many teams were wowed by Gobert’s physical attributes – 7’2 height and 7’9 wingspan – but considered him a very raw prospect that needed years to develop his frame. Many mock drafts galore didn’t even consider him a second round pick.

To Walt Perrin & the Jazz, he was considered a gem. Perrin watched Gobert play in Europe and arranged for him to workout with the Jazz before the draft. Perrin noted that Gobert “had an outstanding workout” and was more impressed with that than his talent. To reward Gobert, the Jazz traded up to select him.

chipstern

• View Profile
Another One Bites The Dust
« Reply #13505 on: September 24, 2020, 05:54:51 PM »

Nick Nurse optimistic about re-signing Fred VanVleet

Steven Loung: Nick Nurse said on @timandsid he’d be “pretty surprised” if Fred VanVleet doesn’t return to the Raptors next season. – via Twitter

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13506 on: September 24, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »

Before the season, I thought Jerami Grant and Josh Richardson were terrific additions and going to have more impact than they did.  Both had solid seasons, but also went quiet too many games.  And of course, '6ers needed somebody (Embiid, Tobias) to step up and replace Butler's crunch time scoring.  I thought JoshRich could help by spotting up.

The issue with Jerami Grant is consistency.  And not deferring too much.  If Porter was a good defender, Grant would likely be available. 
Otherwise Torey Craig needs a significant raise.
Keep him ($6M or so) and let Grant go?   
Pay Grant a good amount ($14M) and let Craig go?

Wil Barton and Gary Harris are overpaid.
Right now they have $30M invested between Harris and Barton.I'd look to ditch Wil Bart.  Find a trade to remove Barton.  Let MonteMorris and PJ Bull Dozier fill his role. Barton -- $13.7M & a $14.7M player option after that -- can light it up, but is chumpy on D, and streaky on O.

Do you bring Millsap back as a vet wisehead ... on a much lower contract?
He has no hops left, and was always a bit undersized, so he gets blocked near the rim a helluva lot, or often enough gets bottled up and passes out.  Still tough and smart.  But 35.

Some tough calls for DEN to make.
Decide between Grant, Craig, Millsap and Plumlee -- all expiring deals assuming Grant opts out.  All 4 very unlikely to return.  Jokic the primary Big.  With Porter is a key F going forward.

Nice team, but you can't pay everybody.  And they need Gary Harris to mesh better with Murray and Jokic.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13507 on: September 24, 2020, 09:32:58 PM »

Heh

Didnt you and your merry men pub Early, Chip?

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
And yet AGAIN???
« Reply #13508 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:46 PM »

Heh

Mr. heh

Is this supposed to mean anything? 🙄

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:49:25 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #13509 on: September 24, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »

Heh

Yes.

I imbibed the Kool Aid. 

Hey, I was all in on Phil until he proved to be a fucking PHOOL. 

Weren't you all in on Jordan Hill? 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13510 on: September 25, 2020, 12:07:13 AM »

Sure

Good player

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #13511 on: September 25, 2020, 12:56:29 AM »

Sure

Good player

Piece

Of

_______

Out of the league at 29.

A Srubbeenie

Heh. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:00:59 AM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13512 on: September 25, 2020, 01:47:42 AM »

Jordan Hill had good length and was active, but not much feel for the game.  And tried to do more than he could -- his post-ups were adventures.

Still the only player I've seen who looked questionable/bad in his own college highlight reel.  He was just scoring and boarding over smaller guys, but looking awkward and clumsy doing so.  Me no draftnik, but thought that was a pretty clear red flag.

Cleanthony seemed to have issues with NYC nightlife.  Good athlete, but often for 2nd rounders to make it they need to mentally strong and focused.  Post-gunshot, he's kicked around some rather low level leagues (Saudi Arabia, Hungary).

Some Cleanthony issues.  Was 23 when drafted with raw offensive skills (iffy shot, weak ballhandling) and so not much time to figure things out.  Also had played PF in college but at 6'7" 210 was an NBA wing, so had positional adjustment. 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2067611-cleanthony-early-drafted-by-new-york-knicks-latest-news-reaction-and-analysis

Cleant is reportedly a vegan.  I assume that's fairly rare among professional hoopsters.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 02:15:13 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13513 on: September 25, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »

Well...you are consistent in your occasional "just wrongness".
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
"HEH Crude": Petitioning For New Kiid Nickname; SAINT CRUDE
« Reply #13514 on: September 25, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »

Well...you are consistent in your occasional "just wrongness".

SAINT CRUDE

The Patron Saint Of Lost Hoopsters

HEH Crude
Just work your slag
Take a lame argument
And knit a sweater

Whenever
Y'all get under an Elban's Skin
Then the bullshit begins
With specious jive
Right down to the letter

So Jimmer and Jordan flopped