Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1854

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1083432 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14505 on: November 20, 2020, 12:30:44 AM »

Hope Top Dog works out, but I would have taken Avdija, TyH and Vassell ahead of ObiT.

I think he's one of the surest bets from this draft from an offense standpoint.  I worry about his defense.  He looks lost.  But if Thibs can surround him with good defenders and get him to play well enough offensively to offset what he gives up then he'll have a good environment to succeed in. 

Avidja is very intriguing and has a skill set but I wonder if we've been scared off by picking Euro. 
Toppin a New Yorker with CAA connects.... not likely to ask for a trade cough cough
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
BoZ
« Reply #14506 on: November 20, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »

I'd sign Gordo and flip him for MyTurn (and figure things out later).
Of course that would work much better if we had just selected Avdija instead of Topping.  I miss Avdija.

Hope Top Dog works out, but I would have taken Avdija, TyH and Vassell ahead of ObiT.

BoZ, you makin too much sense, funny names and all.
I’m sure Chamaco will have some trumpian kind of retort.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: November 20, 2020, 12:38:00 AM »

Ed Davis is a nice tutor/reserve to help Mitch grow. A good vet who maximizes his talent with smart play. He’s also a real center.

Checks the boxes.
Tough guy.  Locker room presence.  Good character guy.

Davis said to be one of the most liked players in the NBofA.
Smart hard worker.
Not sure why he had such a rough year in UTA, but they also had trouble working in Conley, and waived Jeff Green who then had a pretty solid playoff run with HOU.
Maybe Mitchell and Gobert are harder to fit with than you'd expect.  Or Quinn the Mighty Ute needs to be more flexible.  But they certainly didn't max their vet additions.  Clarkson nearly saved them (and the Bog injury hurt them).

There were a number of years where I wondered why other role playing Bigs didn't model themselves on Ed Davis.  Just keeps it simple.  Set good screens and hustles to the rim.  Sneaks in for putbacks.  Nothing fancy, but nice court awareness.
But he's not a real C.  Thin, but long arms and good effort, so he can slot in there some.  But better at help D coming over than being the last line of defense.

Davis could help Mitch with some screening/rolling actions and game feel.
Could mean that we move on from Taj.  But Taj a Thibs guy and Davis could be dropped.  We'll see, but I like the addition.

Jordan Hill could have had a longer career just playing the smart low-key Ed Davis game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:57:33 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
East of Shanghai
« Reply #14508 on: November 20, 2020, 12:54:12 AM »

Supposedly the talks were Turner and McDermott but Ainge wanted something more.

I find this hard to believe.

Can we agree in these contentious times that EAST of Boston is an unlikely landing spot for Gordo?

Hitchcock made a 1931 film Rich and Strange and its alternate title was East of Shanghai.  A droll Hitch joke, since east of Shanghai is the Pacific Ocean, and our rich estranged married couple wind up in a shipwreck off the coast of China.

It's a decent film, but I think it's Hitchcock's first talkie, and clearly a transitional film, as only about 1/3 of the scenes have spoken dialogue.  It's a bit patchy, married rich twits get an inheritance, travel the world, drift apart and get swindled separately by romantic grifters.  Some proto-Hitch touches but also somewhat generic relationship drama with adventure thrown in.  The material doesn't offer much.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Cap Situation
« Reply #14509 on: November 20, 2020, 01:33:13 AM »

Adding Ed Davis
* reduces the Knicks projected cap space to $35.9 million
* gives them 9 guaranteed contracts + 2 rookies to sign, leaving 4 open roster spots

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: November 20, 2020, 02:02:25 AM »

When Quickley gives us minutes at the 2, could be RJB at the 3

And with Quickley at the 1, Frank could give us minutes at the 2. 

Listed as a COMBO Guard. 

Not sure how viable he is at the point. 

But can he ever shoot. 

A .428 3-pt percentage. 

And he gets to the line...a lot...like 5.2 times a game as a soph....and converted at a .923 FT%, up from .828 as a freshman, as his minutes went up from 18.5 to 33.0 as a soph.  There was some game where he drained 14-14 FTs.  He should contribute a DNA swab to Dennis and RJ.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: November 20, 2020, 02:03:45 AM »

I wouldn't be against Portis back at around $8M.
His $15M option was ridiculous.
And I think his decision-making and defensive focus can be poor.
So not really a Thibs type.
And with ObiT in place, Portis less needed and a basically just room at the 3, where he's pretty similar to Knox, who needs minutes.

Hopefully we can find some other wing shooters.
And we might spend money on a PG.
But as a Plan C option, if we have money left over, Portis acceptable around the MLE.

Well, I started off this post open to Portis returning and convinced myself it's pointless.
I'd rather ObiT and Knox get such minutes.  RJB at the 3 as well.  So I'd rather spend the money (~ $8M) on a more reliable wing.

Portis at say 3/$22 would be a tradeable asset-- again if we have extra cap space.  And can't use it better.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: November 20, 2020, 02:09:30 AM »

Well, I started off this post open to Portis returning and convinced myself it's pointless.
I'd rather ObiT and Knox get such minutes.  RJB at the 3 as well.  So I'd rather spend the money (~ $8M) on a more reliable wing.

I was shaking my head in disbelief until I got to that part of your post.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: November 20, 2020, 02:11:25 AM »

Of the guys we had I'd sooner bring back Gibson or Harkless than Portis.

But the calculus changes if Randle is moved.   Then I could see a spot for Portis.

chipstern

• View Profile
Advance The Runner. One Base At A Time
« Reply #14514 on: November 20, 2020, 02:29:26 AM »

I wouldn't be against Portis back at around $8M.
His $15M option was ridiculous.
And I think his decision-making and defensive focus can be poor.
So not really a Thibs type.
And with ObiT in place, Portis less needed and a basically just room at the 3, where he's pretty similar to Knox, who needs minutes.

Hopefully we can find some other wing shooters.
And we might spend money on a PG.
But as a Plan C option, if we have money left over, Portis acceptable around the MLE.

Portis at say 3/$22 would be a tradeable asset-- again if we have extra cap space.  And can't use it better.

Bo, I applaud your generosity.  I am a Portis Booster, but I wouldn't give him that much. 

Again, my sense of things is DO NO HARM. 

I loved all of same people you did: Haliburton, Vassell, DA.  Would have been happy with any of them or Okoro and Toppin.  I am really thrilled that we got both Toppin and Quickly. 

What impresses me the most about the NEW KNICKS FRONT OFFICE, so far, is unlike the past, DO NO HARM, and NOT GOING FOR THE FUCKING HOME RUN. 

In baseball, or hoops front offices, you can swing for the fences, or you can win with good defense and pitching, and offensively, play slow but stead...draw a walk...move the runner over...steal a base...sacrifice fly. 

The Knicks' moves were purposeful and well thought out. 

They obviously wanted Okoro or Toppin at #5, but unlike Donnie in the Melo trade, they didn't act in desperation, or allow themselves to be bamboozled, or like Isiah with Eddie Curry, over pay like crazy, like a mama luke.  Donnie got stampeded by Melo's greed, Dolan's impatience and fearof losing Melo to the Nets.  So he gave up Mozgov AND an additional #1 pick, the right for Denver to swap with us if we had the worst record.  Know who they picked with that second #1?  Jamal Murray. 

You can make a compelling case for any of the players we passed on. 

You can make a compelling case for the player we picked.  Can't have everything. 

I love the Ed Davis move, if we keep him.  A great veteran presence, like Udonis Haslem on the Heat.  THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE PUPPIES.  They also serve who screen and wait.  Or sit on the bench and define a winning team culture and the simple virtues which get the job done. 

I would not offer Portis 8 million, but the MCE at most.  What is that?  Five million. 

As for free agency, again, I am content to let the blood frenzy go on without us, and see who the last men standing are, who we can pick up for veterans minimums or thereabouts.  Once everyone else has squadered their cap space, and we are biding our time, waiting to see what talent has been left out in the cold, or what teams need a third team to facilitate a trade?

Russell Westbrook?  Gordon Hayward? 

Great players. 

We need to develop Dennis and Frank, Kevin and Ignaz, just to see what we've got, build up their value, as pieces going forward or was trade chips. 

Gordon Hayward in 2020? 

How about Kawhi Leonard in 2021.  Think that would make Thibs happy?  He has a player option next summer. 

PATIENCE HAS BEEN SHOWN THIS WEEK. 

Keep it up Knicks.  We paid dearly for our cap space.  Leave us not squander it.  Again, when someone needs someplace to stash salaries and ending contracts, and they are willing to give us assets for our trouble, that is the Jerry West way.  That is the Red Auerbach way.  We don't need to do a Hershel Walker trade like the Clippers did to make Kawhi happy and overpay through the dick for fuckikng Paul George. 

Advance the runner, Leon.  One base at a time.  One base at a time.  Ed Davis was not a big splash.  Barely even a drip.  But potentially consequential.  The small details Ralph.  No more home run swings.  Make contact.  Singles.  Bunts.  Sacrifices. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: BoZ
« Reply #14515 on: November 20, 2020, 02:30:54 AM »

I'd sign Gordo and flip him for MyTurn (and figure things out later).
Of course that would work much better if we had just selected Avdija instead of Topping.  I miss Avdija.

BoZ, you makin too much sense, funny names and all.
I’m sure Chamaco will have some trumpian kind of retort.

You might not have to wait for him. 

Got to get past me with that pendejo pandering pizz...more Henry Wallace than George Wallace. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: November 20, 2020, 03:19:34 AM »

I thought the MLE was almost $9M if you are over the cap but under the tax and nearly $5M if over.  Something like that.  And the under the tax teams also get a ~ $4M exception (fka LLE).  As a team under the cap, I'm pretty sure we don't get any such exceptions.

Yeah, I'd rather re-sign MoHark for around $6M - $8M.
But he doesn't seem like much of a fit here.
If we added Avidja or move Randle, I could see MoHawk as a backup at both F slots.

We need to find some defenders.
Remember there was some NYK interest in MKG.
Might make more sense than Hark and cheaper to boot.
I'll have to look for more, but cheapish defenders should be available.

Hark or Portis could be useful as role players and potential trade pieces if we can sign them cheap enough.  Right now, we don't have much to trade except Randle and unproven yute.
And I think Randle isn't an easy team fit for most teams.

I probably need to adjust my salaries downward.  Tough financial climate, fans likely to be limited, revenue down, few teams with cap space.  3/$18 for Hark or Portis?  Wouldn't that make them bargains and tradeable? 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: November 20, 2020, 03:50:40 AM »

I probably need to adjust my salaries downward.  Tough financial climate, fans likely to be limited, revenue down, few teams with cap space.  3/$18 for Hark or Portis?  Wouldn't that make them bargains and tradeable?

But what would we get in trade?  Marcus Morris fetched a late first rd pick.  Would Harkless or Portis even fetch a first?  Probaby not.

So it's really about signing them to help offset salary in trade for a guy making much bigger money and that's a low-probability.

Be a weird use of a roster spot to keep a vet just in case a trade for a star opened up.  Better off having the cap room.

Or sign a young up and comer to a decent deal. I guess that was what Portis was supposed to be if he panned out.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: November 20, 2020, 04:21:54 AM »

I thought the MLE was almost $9M if you are over the cap but under the tax and nearly $5M if over.  Something like that.  And the under the tax teams also get a ~ $4M exception (fka LLE).  As a team under the cap, I'm pretty sure we don't get any such exceptions.

Yeah, I'd rather re-sign MoHark for around $6M - $8M.
But he doesn't seem like much of a fit here.
If we added Avidja or move Randle, I could see MoHawk as a backup at both F slots.

We need to find some defenders.
Remember there was some NYK interest in MKG.
Might make more sense than Hark and cheaper to boot.
I'll have to look for more, but cheapish defenders should be available.

Hark or Portis could be useful as role players and potential trade pieces if we can sign them cheap enough.  Right now, we don't have much to trade except Randle and unproven yute.
And I think Randle isn't an easy team fit for most teams.

Harkless for millions?

I'd rather have Gilchist for the vet's minimum. 

chipstern

• View Profile
A Simple Prayer
« Reply #14519 on: November 20, 2020, 04:59:09 AM »

Dear God

No CARMELO
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1854