Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 919464 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #1455 on: October 26, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »

You are 100% correct.

And I am enjoying our season and am in no way disappointed in our coach.

The offensive vision is still really unclear, however. At some point we should be starting to understand even though it can't fully unfold until next year's roster is assembled.

But will be impossible to justify the choice unless it's pretty kick-ass when it finally does.

Given that the aforementioned two guys were free and clear, and our guy hadn't actually achieved a whole lot outside of really pissing off Marc Gasol.

Bud doing a great job in Milwaukee. 

Casey a great match for Detroit. 

I think Mills & Perry wanted to grow their own, as it were. 

Not that they were sniffing their noses at Bud, who interviewed and had strong interest in the job. 

But I think Fizz was a better match...for the Knicks. 

As for who sees floor time. 

I think Fizz is trying to make everyone feel as if they got a fair shot, such as Lance, though clearly, leadership notwithstanding, he is a role player and bench bulwark and not part of our long term future. 

I think Baker getting burn in lieu of an injured Mudiay, is also part and parcel of creating a team first ethos. 

Clearly, the likes of Hezonja and Mudiay, have great talent, but are flawed players. 

But the time has come to toss them into the deep end of the pool, though clearly, Fizz raised the bar for Mario in terms of his expectations and that defensive thingy. 

Again, in the minority here, but Mudiay's floor game impressed me in pre-season.  He got us out in transition, and made some great passes to cutters up court. 

Those point guard instincts are really enticing.  Next step for Emmanuel, like Mario, is defense.  Both good passers, whose confidence often buckles when they make mistakes or fail to finish. 

PS: I am NOT inclined to trade Burke off of one stinker, though I think he should come off the bench and play off the ball as often as not. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: October 26, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

i like the idea of trading Burke.  A starter now but not in our long term plans.  Sell high as you can.  Get what you can get.

I doubt Burke would get us much return.
Nobody is going to want him as a starter.
Most teams have a PG and a backup.
I doubt it's very sell high anyway.

But what are you going to get for him?
A role player/project.
We have lots of role players, lots of projects.
We certainly don't need an SG.
We're not getting a PG back.
We don't need a vet.

I'm not against trading almost all of our team (except KZ & Knox).
But it's hard to see what return Burke would get that is better than Burke.  He looks like a reasonably solid sparkplug backup PG.
We've invested some time in Burke and it's largely paid off.  Reward is ship him out for whatever?

Can wait until closer to the deadline, and maybe some PG gets injured and a playoff team elevates their backup and needs a new backup PG.

In any case still a lot of evaluating to do between Burke, Franc & Mud.
Since Burke projects as a backup PG, I'd start Franc and Mud at the PG and see who rises to the occasion.

[hey Kam, the political pipe bomber used to live in Edison NJ]
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 26, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
A Berration
« Reply #1458 on: October 26, 2018, 05:11:01 PM »

Mud was 3-5 on 3's in that GS game.
The rest of his season with NYK he was 6-41.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 26, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »

This should be Phun to watch...

Ian Begley @IanBegley
Frank Ntilikina, Tim Hardaway Jr., Damyean Dotson, Noah Vonleh and Mitchell Robinson will start against GSW, David Fizdale says.

chipstern

• View Profile
Shuffling The Deck Chairs On The Titanic?
« Reply #1460 on: October 26, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »

This should be Phun to watch...

Ian Begley @IanBegley
Frank Ntilikina, Tim Hardaway Jr., Damyean Dotson, Noah Vonleh and Mitchell Robinson will start against GSW, David Fizdale says.

Well now.  A bold gesture. 

IMAGINATIVE. 

In baseball, that would be referred to as a message pitch. 

And what is the message?

D
E
F
E
N
S
E

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: A Berration
« Reply #1461 on: October 26, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »

Mud was 3-5 on 3's in that GS game.
The rest of his season with NYK he was 6-41.

Still, not beyond the realm of possibility. 

Why Perry rolled the dice... 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:39:56 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: October 26, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »

Should be an interesting game for Vonleh.
Also quite a challenge for Franc.
I'd like to see Franc post up Scurry.
Has Franc ever had a NBA post-up?
Burke would make Curry work more on D.
Lets hope Franc aggresses.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Pharoah

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 26, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »

Brief thoughts

1. As of right now it appears that Trey Burke is good for scoring but that's it. He's not exhibiting the floor awareness to punish a collapsing defense consistently and when his roll man is covered there's an instinct to just shoot.

2. Timmy's decision making was better last night but watching him jaw at Trey Burke and Enes Kanter wasn't cool to me. Either do it calmly or do it during time out but don't make a scene on the court midgame when you're the biggest culprit for going under screens and late help (leading to and-ones).

3. Kanter can either slow down the PnR ball handler or he can stop the roll man from getting the ball. But he can't do both simultaneously which means when guards go over screens, they get punished more often than not.

4. Frank runs the pick and roll really well. If you hone in on those plays, he's productive point blank. The past two games, he's still splitting time between SF who sits in the corner as a decoy and primary ball handler, but the additional opportunities have led to back to back 5 assist games. 5 assists on limited opportunities is pretty damned good. His three pointer is looking much improved too. But he still only takes what the defense gives him right now and could do with improvising more often for sure.

5. Dotson should start. Let Burke be the guy you sub in and keep in when he's hot, but otherwise let Dotson get out there. He has the best motor on the team, a pure form from range, flashes some handling and played better D than even Frank last night. It was a Khris Middleton-lite game for him. Oh yeah...10 boards too, how long have I been on about his rebounding?

6. I actually was ready to applaud Lance since he made three's and grabbed 6 boards...still a 15 mpg guy in an optimal situation but my God are the rest of our wings bad on defense (honestly that might be why the Frank at SF experiment started too)

7. Mario goes Wario and isn't good enough to do that. He needs a shorter leash when he presses.

8. I really like Vonleh but he'll be undersized against bigger C's and it showed last night.

9. Mitch needs minutes. The Frank/Mitch PnR was really effective but they went to giving Baker chances to run the offense.

10. Baker doesn't need to play imo.

Obviously Mudiay and Knox getting hurt has had an effect on the rotations. 

[I found Kiid's comment about Fizdale queering Knox's mojo bizarre.  Had just come off of a positive all-around rebound when he hurt his ankle.  One may assume Fizz has triggered Kiid's snark mechanism.]

As soon as Emmanuel can show he's got 20 a night in him, got to figure Baker goes into cameo mode. 

Your idea about Dotson is interesting, as is Frank more on the point with Robinson.  Don't think Fizz is prepared to queer the confidence of Burke and Kanter off of a setback game, though a quicker sub may be coming. 

I can recall numerous possessions where Trier was bringing the ball into play.  Not sure about Dotson being effective in that mode.  Me?  I'd like to see how Frank starting at PG, with Timmy at SG and Demyean at SF, Vonleh at PF and Kanter at center works out, with some combo of Burke, Mudiay, Trier, Robinson, Thomas, Hezonja coming off the pine.   

As for the long leash on Hezonja, Fizz went from the short leash to the long leash, and I don't think he is going to go back to the short leash anytime soon, with Knox out, as he is trying to find that balance between confidence, efficiency and decision making. 

Certainly be interesting how our young guards respond to Steph Curry coming off of a nuclear performance, let alone how our thin front line responds to Durant, also playing at a high pitch. 

Defense, which had been encouraging coming out of the gate, took a punch in the mouth last night in a rain of treys.  And that was MIAMI, let alone GOLDEN STATE.  Looking for some pride tonight.  Interesting test for the team and our coaching staff.

Fiz appears to have been listening! https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1055939615637561345 I'm genuinely hyped for tonight.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 26, 2018, 08:09:42 PM »

Brief thoughts

1. As of right now it appears that Trey Burke is good for scoring but that's it. He's not exhibiting the floor awareness to punish a collapsing defense consistently and when his roll man is covered there's an instinct to just shoot.

2. Timmy's decision making was better last night but watching him jaw at Trey Burke and Enes Kanter wasn't cool to me. Either do it calmly or do it during time out but don't make a scene on the court midgame when you're the biggest culprit for going under screens and late help (leading to and-ones).

3. Kanter can either slow down the PnR ball handler or he can stop the roll man from getting the ball. But he can't do both simultaneously which means when guards go over screens, they get punished more often than not.

4. Frank runs the pick and roll really well. If you hone in on those plays, he's productive point blank. The past two games, he's still splitting time between SF who sits in the corner as a decoy and primary ball handler, but the additional opportunities have led to back to back 5 assist games. 5 assists on limited opportunities is pretty damned good. His three pointer is looking much improved too. But he still only takes what the defense gives him right now and could do with improvising more often for sure.

5. Dotson should start. Let Burke be the guy you sub in and keep in when he's hot, but otherwise let Dotson get out there. He has the best motor on the team, a pure form from range, flashes some handling and played better D than even Frank last night. It was a Khris Middleton-lite game for him. Oh yeah...10 boards too, how long have I been on about his rebounding?

6. I actually was ready to applaud Lance since he made three's and grabbed 6 boards...still a 15 mpg guy in an optimal situation but my God are the rest of our wings bad on defense (honestly that might be why the Frank at SF experiment started too)

7. Mario goes Wario and isn't good enough to do that. He needs a shorter leash when he presses.

8. I really like Vonleh but he'll be undersized against bigger C's and it showed last night.

9. Mitch needs minutes. The Frank/Mitch PnR was really effective but they went to giving Baker chances to run the offense.

10. Baker doesn't need to play imo.

Obviously Mudiay and Knox getting hurt has had an effect on the rotations. 

[I found Kiid's comment about Fizdale queering Knox's mojo bizarre.  Had just come off of a positive all-around rebound when he hurt his ankle.  One may assume Fizz has triggered Kiid's snark mechanism.]

As soon as Emmanuel can show he's got 20 a night in him, got to figure Baker goes into cameo mode. 

Your idea about Dotson is interesting, as is Frank more on the point with Robinson.  Don't think Fizz is prepared to queer the confidence of Burke and Kanter off of a setback game, though a quicker sub may be coming. 

I can recall numerous possessions where Trier was bringing the ball into play.  Not sure about Dotson being effective in that mode.  Me?  I'd like to see how Frank starting at PG, with Timmy at SG and Demyean at SF, Vonleh at PF and Kanter at center works out, with some combo of Burke, Mudiay, Trier, Robinson, Thomas, Hezonja coming off the pine.   

As for the long leash on Hezonja, Fizz went from the short leash to the long leash, and I don't think he is going to go back to the short leash anytime soon, with Knox out, as he is trying to find that balance between confidence, efficiency and decision making. 

Certainly be interesting how our young guards respond to Steph Curry coming off of a nuclear performance, let alone how our thin front line responds to Durant, also playing at a high pitch. 

Defense, which had been encouraging coming out of the gate, took a punch in the mouth last night in a rain of treys.  And that was MIAMI, let alone GOLDEN STATE.  Looking for some pride tonight.  Interesting test for the team and our coaching staff.

Fiz appears to have been listening! https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1055939615637561345 I'm genuinely hyped for tonight.

So far, so good.

Withstood a Curry Barrage. 

Nice chemistry with second unit. 

Kanter-Thomas-Hezonja-Trier-Burke.

Interesting. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 26, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »

GS was doubling the post, but Knix weren't able to take advantage.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 26, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »

Hardaway looks the same to me.

Edit: just got dinged up.
But looks like just a bone to bone hit.
Tremendously painful, but goes away after 5 minutes or so.
If it's what I think it is.

Franc must've watched that Mud vid, as he's 3-5 on 3's v GS.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:39:42 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 26, 2018, 08:41:23 PM »

Hardaway looks the same to me.

Edit: just got dinged up.
But looks like just a bone to bone hit.
Tremendously painful, but goes away after 5 minutes or so.
If it's what I think it is.

Franc must've watched that Mud vid, as he's 3-5 on 3's v GS.

W
R
O
N
G

Still too many heat check heaves, but he is an offensive force. 

Tied at halftime. 

Can we resist the inevitable 3rd Quarter Cluster Fuck From The Warriors?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:29 PM »

Pass that leads to the pass that leads to the bucket.......

Hardaway just an incredible talent.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 1848