Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 976 977 [978] 979 980 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 909207 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14655 on: November 21, 2020, 07:22:30 PM »

Who was in the grey area that would have moved the needle and not hampered future cap space and wanted to be here??

Kam - it's pretty clear by now that no one "wants" to be here

That would SEEM to be the MESSAGE.

So i'll rephrase ...

Who was in the grey area that would have moved the needle and not hampered future cap space and we did not get?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #14656 on: November 21, 2020, 07:59:29 PM »

Look Kam, you are not wrong, but you are not nec. right either...  like all sports arguments, esp. those based on preseason musings, there's no right or wrong, it's all just chin music until the results are in...

I could say Teague - but yeah - in terms of moving the needle,  he alone does nothing, I could say, Rose could have been more creative in some way for Montrellz, or overpay for Bertans (not our money, cap space will still be in good shape)...but no single FA will move the needle - I get that....and 2021 is all about cap space - I get that too...

but if no decent FA wants to sign with the Knicks in '20, and this season  shapes up to be another dopey, 2 steps back season - or even a 1/2 step forward season, why would  any decent FA  rush to sign with the Knicks - nothing  has  changed (certainly not the owner).

Maybe there are already winks and nods among the CAA mafia that some CAA repped FA will take New York money - maybe, who knows?

so many ifs, so much waiting, such a low bar, what happened to baby steps - unless you consider NOT doing any harm as a baby step,  like I said such a low fucking bar...

maybe this all goes away tomorrow when the knicks unveil Russbrook?  maybe I'ld be more forgiving if they drafted Halliburton and not Obi...
maybe Quickley will live up to  Calipari's glowing recommendation (recycled from his same glowing recommendation of Knox)...
maybe Thibs will do a reclamation job with DSJ & Frank the likes of which has never been seen...

right now, the Knicks remain no part of nuthin', just  like they have been for the better part of the last 20 years,  I remain underwhelmed and welcome the opportunity to be genuinely surprised this season, as well with the next  FA signing-fest

chipstern

• View Profile
Stop Making Sense
« Reply #14657 on: November 21, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »

Maybe there are already winks and nods among the CAA mafia that some CAA repped FA will take New York money - maybe, who knows?

so many ifs, so much waiting, such a low bar, what happened to baby steps - unless you consider NOT doing any harm as a baby step,  like I said such a low fucking bar...

maybe this all goes away tomorrow when the knicks unveil Russbrook? 

maybe I'ld be more forgiving if they drafted Halliburton and not Obi...

maybe Quickley will live up to  Calipari's glowing recommendation (recycled from his same glowing recommendation of Knox)...

maybe Thibs will do a reclamation job with DSJ & Frank the likes of which has never been seen...

right now, the Knicks remain no part of nuthin', just  like they have been for the better part of the last 20 years, 
I remain underwhelmed and welcome the opportunity to be genuinely surprised this season, as well with the next  FA signing-fest

chipstern

• View Profile
Ladies & Gentlemen, You're Underwhelming NY Knicks
« Reply #14658 on: November 21, 2020, 08:14:52 PM »

Let's Unwrap This Thing. 

We wanted a playstation, and got new socks. 

C: Robinson

C-PF: Randle, Davis, Gibson

PF-SF: Toppin, Knox, Bradeikis

SF-SG: Barrett, Bullock

SG-PG: Ntilinka, Burks, Quickley

PG: Smith, Payton, Harper

And that makes 15. 

Ho Ho Ho, Knicks Fans. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Postscript
« Reply #14659 on: November 21, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »

G League Hope Kenny Wooten?

Picked up off of waivers by the Houston Rockets, where in the post-D'Antoni Epoch, apparently size DOES MATTER, once again. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
But you NEED socks
« Reply #14660 on: November 21, 2020, 08:17:46 PM »

Last free-agency the Knicks quickly spent their money and brought in 7 new faces (Randle, Morris, Gibson, Portis, Payton, Ellington, Bullock)

This year there's one new free agent (Burks) and another traded player (Davis). 

We retained Randle, Payton, Bullock and maybe Gibson so there's some continuity with the players. 

It's not a whole new team that needs to gel, which would be hard to do in a month.

Asset-wise we remain poised to strike.  We retain maximum flexibility.  We are developing young players.

We have wanted the Knicks to behave this way for decades.  They're finally doing it.  This is what rebuilding with young players looks like.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:19:26 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
Prudence Is Indeed Boring...But It Is PRUDENT
« Reply #14661 on: November 21, 2020, 09:13:06 PM »

Last free-agency the Knicks quickly spent their money and brought in 7 new faces (Randle, Morris, Gibson, Portis, Payton, Ellington, Bullock)

This year there's one new free agent (Burks) and another traded player (Davis). 

We retained Randle, Payton, Bullock and maybe Gibson so there's some continuity with the players. 

It's not a whole new team that needs to gel, which would be hard to do in a month.

Asset-wise we remain poised to strike.  We retain maximum flexibility.  We are developing young players.

We have wanted the Knicks to behave this way for decades.  They're finally doing it.  This is what rebuilding with young players looks like.

Two Years Ago We Went Into The Tank With Fizdale In Pursuit Of The ArchAngel Zion, In The Name Of YOUTH & PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. 

ReBoot 

Last Season We Got Farted On By Durant & Irving, On Then Reversed Course, Where We Weren't Trying To Tank, And Kicked Our Youth And Player Development To The Curb In The Name Of Veteran Placeholders With Mike Miller. 

ReBoot

This Season We Completely ReTooled Our Front Office, Retained Cap Space And Flexibility, Hired An ACTUAL COACH With A Proven Defensive System, Top Tier Player Development Assistants, And Were Prudent & Proactive In Our Deployment Of Our Draft Assets, Aided & Abetted By The Holy Spirit, WHO GIFTED US A BUFFET TABLE OF TOP TIER CHOICES AT #8 In The Person Of...Toppin, Avdija, Haliburton, Vassell, Lewis. 

And NOW?

We didn't throw $20-30 Million a Year at any free agents or trade for brand new used shiny objects such as Hayward and Westbrook. 

I completely understand why BoD is upset with the Knicks for not taking Haliburton or Avdija and signing Wood and ___________. 

Let's see, as we have been down this ReTool Road Before, and I can distinctly recall the words THIS IS WHAT A REBUILD LOOKS LIKE passing through my lips. 

Or as Bullwinkle said to Rocky, "Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat."

And as Rocky responded: "Again?"

To which Bullwinkle allows: "Hmmm, I've got to get a new hat."

And THAT would be prudent. 

Have we actually committed to BLOWING UP THE BULLSHIT OF THE PAST TWENTY YEARS?  After being fooled again and again and again...

Is there actually a prudent plan that the Knicks are actually disciplined enough to STICK TO? , that we might utter the words THIS IS WHAT A REBUILD LOOKS LIKE, without feeling like a schmuck.

chipstern

• View Profile
WOW...This Will Have To Pass For Excitement, But Interesting
« Reply #14662 on: November 21, 2020, 09:17:18 PM »

You'll forgive me if I utter a muted WOW.

Who amongst us saw THIS coming? 

Nerlens Noel to New York

Adrian Wojnarowski: Free agent C Nerlens Noel has agreed to a one-year deal with the New York Knicks, sources tell ESPN. – via Twitter wojespn

Now THIS Is An Interesting Move. 

$5,000,000 For One Year.  A DEFENSIVE Signing.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/noelne01.html

Just turned 26. 

And where did Jeff Teague end up?

Why, logically enough, with A CONTENDER. 

BOSTON.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:21:27 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14663 on: November 21, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »

We just added Noel. About the same deal as everyone else.

Mitch Noel Davis
Randle Toppin Knox
Burks Bullock Iggy
RJ Quickley
Frank Payton DSJ

No Dedmon necessary this year. I’d still think about Torrey Craig.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
My Old Kentucky Home
« Reply #14664 on: November 21, 2020, 10:47:21 PM »

Kenny Payne is on the clock and being tasked with significant responsibilities. 

Player Development?

We Shall See

We Now Have A Quartet Of Kentucky Alummni:

C-PF: Nerlens Noel, 26 [2013, #6 Pick]

PF-C: Julius Randle, 26 [2014, #7 Pick]

SF-PF: Kevin Knox, 21 [2018, #8 Pick]

SG-PG: Immanuel Quickley, 21 [2020, #25 Pick]

[Cough]

A pattern seems to be emerging:

Ed Davis, 31

Reggie Bullock, 29

Alec Burks, 29

Elfrid Payton, 26

Dennis Smith, 23

Jared Harper, 23

Frank Ntiliknia, 22

Mitchell Robinson, 22

Obi Toppin, 22

Ignas Brazdeikis, 21

RJ Barrett, 20

That Entire THIBS Wants To Win NOW Narrative Is A Crock...

Everything the Knicks did in the draft and in free agency, and in hiring Head Coach Tom Thibodeau and bringing on board Associate Head Coach Johnnie Bryant and Assistant Coach Kenny Payne, is about transforming the culture and player development. 

BoD said, "We need starters." 

Guess WHAT?

"From the little acorn did the mighty oak tree grow." 

Then again....

In any event, seeing as how NO FREE AGENTS WANT TO PLAY FOR THE KNICKS, well....there is an alternative...

Grow

Your

OWN

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:25:48 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Exhibit A
« Reply #14665 on: November 21, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »

NBA free agency: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope re-signing with Lakers on three-year, $40 million deal

And Serge Ibaka with the Clippers, two years for $19 million.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:09:46 AM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14666 on: November 22, 2020, 12:53:54 AM »

Clips did well on that.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14667 on: November 22, 2020, 02:55:54 AM »

Nawlins Noel had a solid season.
He's a limited minutes guy (12-20 mpg) who gives you energy.
Good rim protector and insurance for those nights where Mitch bites on every fake and has to sit down.
Noel basically pretty similar to Mitch in game and length.

Better than bringing back Taj who is undersized and getting creaky and deserves to be on a playoff team
who can slot him in now and then.
I like the Noel pickup for a season starting at Xmas.

Another lost season on tap.

I said Wanamaker would be a nice fit in GSW.
And at $2M a bargain backup.

ATL added both Rondo and Dunn.  To compensate for Trae's shortcomings.
I like Dunn better than Jr. Smith ... but who really knows what we have in Dennis Smith Jr.
Is he an NBA player?  Is his head on straight? (I mean this sincerely, life can intrude on your job
and especially if my work contract was guaranteed, I'd prioritize my life over my career).

I just have no idea what his standing is.
DS Jr. could be our opening day starting PG or be waived before the season starts, and I wouldn't blink either way.
Could we start him and see how it goes?  Start Smith Jr and let Elf finish if necessary.

Speaking of, some doubted players would accept such a thing when I said waive Taj and re-sign him cheaper.
Well, Knix just knocked $3M off of Elf with the same maneuver (or did Elf pocket $1M for being waived?  If so, then $2M)
Elf and Nawlisn come in at $10M or just $1M above Taj's option, $2M above Elf's option, and $5 below Portis'.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14668 on: November 22, 2020, 03:22:57 AM »

Randle, Toppings & Elf are all represented by CAA.
Anybody else?

Randle, Knox, Quickley, Nerlens all Kentucky players.
Calipari in tight with CAA, his assistant Payne on our staff, etc.

We could still add MKG or unearth Josh Harrelson?
I know we have 15, but Harper and Iggy could be two-way players or just waived.
A few folks here have been seeing Iggy and Wooten through rose-colored contacts.

Theo Pinson is a CAA client.
Not sure if we helped him get any extra money or not, but picking him up off waivers at least got his name in the NBA mix for a bit.

Similarly, MKG is very tight with Worldwide Wes, and even if we don't sign him, NYK showing some interest and getting MKG's name in NY papers has to help his value some.

Wake me when the CAA mafia nets us Booker or AD .. or both!
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14669 on: November 22, 2020, 03:27:18 AM »

Taj is still possibly an end move, but far less likely now we have ED, Noel (Kentucky kid same age as Randle), Randle, and the new kid, ObTop. I like Mitch at 28 mins Nerins at 20 and Ed in case of emergency guarding the paint. Randle has sole and complete wide-body bruiser duty, as his penance for past and future spins into help unless we see an even larger human to add to the mix.

Tomić a possibility for one.

I watched some Obi film and one thing that differentiates him from our past and returning bigs is that if he sees bodies in the lane or a play off of movement or penetration developing toward the lane, he spaces and is a real threat in space so helps his team’s offense in two ways.

Alec Burks is a very solid two way wing in his prime, Bullock is a solid one who was just getting healthy when we stopped playing. RJ, Knox, and Iggy would do well to absorb what they can from those two. We might see pairings of RJ & Burks and Bullock and Knox.

Quickley will make his money as a high energy floor spacer and a disciplined severe pest on the other end.

If the layoff plus our new and improved player development plus better design and preparation yielding better shots conspire to help Payton can 3’s and other jumpers at a league average or better rate so teams have to come guard him at and past the line, he’ll be one of the best value contracts in the league. If not, we’ll be in the good hands of le Fresh Frank of New York.

It also appears Myles Powell could easily replace DSJ on the roster skill and weakness-wise. He apparently grew up with Toppin and the two are excellent friends.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:32:19 AM by facilitatorn »

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 976 977 [978] 979 980 ... 1847