Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 915213 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14775 on: November 23, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »

The two times I saw Spellman wasn't enough to determine whether he has potential or not. 

Which is why you let the numbers (given to you twice) - as well as accolades from respected source (Jay Wright, perhaps - do some research from his draft year) speak.

That he was a one and done speaks to his talent at least
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: November 23, 2020, 02:11:15 PM »

Speaking of looking at a player's history, TOPPIN's is interesting

A serious late bloomer (couldnt dunk as a high school junior).  Needed an extra year at PREP, then a redshirt collegiate year - thus though only a soph is the age of a senior

Developed at an easy going pace rather than being asked like some of these other blue chippers to join the best of the best and be great all at the same time, while so young,

chipstern

• View Profile
Rose & Wes On The Clock
« Reply #14777 on: November 23, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »

Our guard play should be improved, especially if DSJ and Frank take required third year steps.
yeah except they're in their fourth year? 

Well we'll see exactly what coaching can do with these two reclamation projects...

Wasn't one of the  points of hiring someone truly "connected" like  Rose and then WWW,  was to sell the likes of Rajon and others on the limitless possibilities of playing in NYC? 

With all the disruptions this season the FO gets a pass, but next year with all the conserved FA money from resigning rather than rebuilding, the FO will need to step up their game and get going on whatever vision they are selling....

Can anyone post the recent Vorkunov in the Athletic - Chip it's right up your alley - Knicks boring is a good thing....

I saw that piece on my cellular device. 

Interesting.  Similar take to the cat on the NY TIMES.  Slow but steady as oppossed to, it was his metaphor, pushing all of your chips to the middle of the table. 

As for Rose and WWW next season?

I still do not see Big Splash Free Agency as tenable going forward, compared with Player Developmnet.

Giannis?

Kawhi?

LeBron? 

And let us revisit Donovan Mitchell and Berman's ludicrous screed. 

NYC and Dallas had their shots and took Frank and Dennis, while Donovan and Bam went at 13 & 14. 

The 13-14-15 picks for 2020 were Kiri Lewis, Aaron Nesmith and Cole Anthony.  With Hampton taken before and Pritchard taken right after our own Quickley at 25. 

So it needn't be a top 3 lottery pick to get a signficant contributor. 

We have our own #1 and the Dallas #1 next season. 

I am not anticipating Kawhi walking through THAT DOOR. 

Finally, as for swinging for the fences?

Antonio McDyess
Stephon Marbury
Eddy Curry
Amare Stoudamire
Carmelo Anthony
Andrea Bargnani

I miss anybody

By the mid 1960s, to the best of my recollection we were conservative in trades and purposeful in our drafting.  Somehow we stockpiled Dick Van Arsdale, Howie Komives, Dave Stallworth, Willis Reed, Cazzie Russell, Bill Bradley, Walt Frazier, Phil Jackson and Mike Riordan.  We lost Van Arsdale to the phoenix Suns in the expansion draft, and brought on Walt Bellamy and Dick Barnett in trades, and when we conclusively did make a big move, and push our chips to the center of the table, it was to exchange Walt Bellamy (a future Hall of Famer) and Komives for DAVE DEBUSSHERE, who was a needle mover and a culture changer.  Two championships and several competitive title runs during his time here. 

https://theknickswall.com/most-impactful-trades-knicks-history-pacific-central-northwest-divisions/

Here is a litany of Knicks Trades over the years, the good the bad and the ugly, Gerald Henderson, Eddy Curry and Carmelo Anthony standing out amongst exchanges that continue to bite us in the dick.

I feel likewise towards big free agents. 

Kiid asserts that John Wall IS a GREAT Player. 

K

John Wall WAS A GREAT PLAYER.  We have yet to see evidence of his post-injury skill set going forward. 

Given the price and the risk?

Our humble Austin Rivers signing looks quite reasonable compared to 140 million over the next three seasons for [potentially] the earthly remains of John Wall. 

So I understand your Rose & Wes are on the clock premise for 2021 free agency, but I'm not judging them like that. 

Let's see if we can at least make a run at the 8th seed in the playoffs, though that is surely feeling....daunting. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14778 on: November 23, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »

Wasn't one of the  points of hiring someone truly "connected" like  Rose and then WWW,  was to sell the likes of Rajon and others on the limitless possibilities of playing in NYC?

You said it

One of - not solely - and not solely this year, either

A guy like Wes is well connected throughout the league.  Those connections may pay off in time.  But first we need to look like a solid organization, one that can be trusted and that  is moving on an incline.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: November 23, 2020, 02:26:59 PM »

You know this place was left an absolute wasteland by Mills and Fiz.

There weren't any cornerstone pieces available or jumping to come here.
Yes, no magic was worked.
But now we have a coach and apparently some competency.
Some nice young players and decent talent coming in.

Austin Rivers isn't my fave player, but he's a hell of a lot more likely to give you good minutes through the coming regular season than an injury prone and disinterested in the mundane Rondo. And I LOVE Rondo.

I don't really know what folks were expecting, but I'm looking forward to the season start and happy to have some more draft picks and cash in the pocket for future spend.

Me, too. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: November 23, 2020, 02:29:23 PM »

I'll be happy if Franc and Jr. Smith make the expected 2nd year leap ...

The Q on ObiT is whether he'll start off good and plateau or has another level in him.

Cardinal Spellman was the last pick of the 1st round.
ATL traded him to GS who traded him to MINN who traded him to NYK.
I guess everybody wants him ...
Seems his main value depends on whether his 3's are dependable.
GSW had him taking corner 3's, which he hit at a good rate.
Early on in college Spellman weighed 300 pounds.

Knix never seem to use the corner 3.

Did anyone pick up Trier?
PHX was said to be interested.
I was rooting for Dotson, but he got lost in the reshuffle.
I would have preferred adding one of Rivers/Burks and keeping Dot.
Believe it or not, but I'd go with Rivers.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
PAT RILEY
« Reply #14781 on: November 23, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »

Loses Jae Crowder because they have prioritized taking care of Bam.

They replace Jae with Moe Harkless

Get Avery Bradley in free agency to give them back court depth, shooting and a committed defensive stopper at PG. 

And draft PF Precious Achiuwa to join Bam in the trenches. 

This is what a consistent, competitive, winning culture looks like. 

TOM THIBODEAU has spoken glowingly and at length as to his admiration and respect for Pat Riley and HEAT CULTURE. 

We begin our baby steps within the week. 

GO THIBS

Go Knicks
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:45:35 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: November 23, 2020, 02:37:25 PM »

I was expecting to add at least one quality starter, and be able to see a team vaguely taking shape.  Instead we'll just rerun last year's 20W team with new faces.

Knix must be in the running for most disappointing off-season.
Magic, Griz and a few others did little.
IND too, but at least they have a good team.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
DOT v RIVERS
« Reply #14783 on: November 23, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »

I suspect, the Knicks "reasoning" vis a vis DOTSON, was that, presumably, given his shifting and uncertain role these past three years, and while respecting his growth and professionalism, that bringing him back with an undefined role and forcing him to revisit the competiive scrum, with no clear pathway to minutes, would neither be fair to Dot nor tenable for Coach Thibs. 

A clean slate all around. 

I really wanted him back.  Thought he was a great kid, a committed defender, and a good sniper. 

PS: Spellman.  Listed as 260 at Villinova.  May very well have had some Sweetney moments since arriving in the league.  If you look at these highlights, he appears to be moving in a positive direction, body wise, and can surely his those corner threes. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14784 on: November 23, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »

I was expecting to add at least one quality starter, and be able to see a team vaguely taking shape.  Instead we'll just rerun last year's 20W team with new faces.

Knix must be in the running for most disappointing off-season.
Magic, Griz and a few others did little.
IND too, but at least they have a good team.

And who was that QUALITY Starter, exactly? 

Wood?

Excellent choice going forward, but Toppin made that null and void, so instead of going to Diddley's Of Rodeo Drive, they go to Walmart for Spellman and Noels. 

Gallinari?

A solid talent, but he is in his 30s.  And that obviates Knox and Brazdeikis and Barrett, before we've even given them a chance to make a case for themselves or to up their value as assets. 

Given our roster, and the wasted player development of last year when we brough in STARTERS, more or less, you are frustrated by the Knicks caution or gun shyness, while I am comforted. 

In a weird ass Panedmic Season, when our lives and lifestyles themselves are in transition, it does not trouble me to see the Knicks playing it close to the vest, and laying it all at Thibs, Bryant and Payne's doorstep. 

We are ALL IN ON YOUTH and do not need to make half steps. 

PS: I really liked Bradley, and Wood was clearly on our radar until Toppin fell in our lap. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14785 on: November 23, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »

So KP being hurt again will be to our benefit?

What's the protection on the Mavs pick?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14786 on: November 23, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »

Loses Jae Crowder because they have prioritized taking care of Bam.

The reason for Miami "allowing" Crowder to leave (they actually offered Jae much more annual cash, but in a one year plus one pact) was to keep their flexibility for '21-'22

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14787 on: November 23, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »

So KP being hurt again will be to our benefit?

What's the protection on the Mavs pick?

There is NO Protection on 2021.  Whereas 2023 is 1-10 protected. 

And yes, Pat offered Jae 12 million for one year.  I believe Suns gave him $10 million x 3

Pat keeping his powder dry for 2021.

And so, apparently are Rose and Wes. 

Even wtihout KP, I would not count on Mavs ending up in the lottery, unless Drew Breez fractures all of Luka's ribs. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:05:48 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: November 23, 2020, 03:34:22 PM »

And yes, Pat offered Jae 12 million for one year.  I believe Suns gave him $10 million x 3

Pretty sure it was 14

But the second year at 14 not a guarantee, so Jae would have had to do free agency again next year

Re:  who is the starter coming in this year -

though I had stated this year's first rounder need not be a starter, I would think Toppin has that chance.

Certainly if we did the Wall or other deal, letting Randle go - but even with Julius at the 5, Mitch off the pine to eat up second units and avoid foul woes.

So many options for Thibs.  I recall the days sitting with wings and pints discussing our options at the high school level - but that usually with just 8-10 viable players.  Memories,,,,,

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #14789 on: November 23, 2020, 04:16:25 PM »

The bogdanovic situation is still evolving. Sacramento tried to trade him to the Bucks so they're willing to let him go (they were originally going to accept DiVincenzo, Ilyasova, and Wilson) but are they willing to let him go for nothing?   Knicks could get involved there in a few ways.

1. Sac matches the offer and the Knicks trade Julius Randle for Bogdanovic. 
2. Sac matches the offer and the Knicks trade Julius Randle for another piayer... say a Harrison Barnes or a Buddy Heild.
3. Sac matches the offer and still trades him to the Hawks for Clint Capella.  The Knicks get involved and use cap space to trade for a big to replace Capella and send that player to Atlanta while also sending a surplus wing player to Sacramento.  In return the Knicks get some picks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:20:14 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1848