Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899621 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14880 on: November 24, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »

We’ve got a camp spot left open. We should sign Dedmon who’s officially free again.

We’d start with

Mitch Noel Dedmon
Randle Toppin Spellman
Barrett Knox Bullock Iggy
Burks Quickley Rivers Evans
Frank Payton DSJ

With Powell, Pinson, and Harper on minor league deals

We’d have to jettison a guard and a wing before the season started. Evans and Iggy would make the most sense though it might turn out differently in camp.

Adding Dedmon would be in line with the small bore moves we’ve been making, especially since he’s being paid already by Detroit. We don’t have to mess with any owners to get it done, only the player and his agent.

DD is neither CAA nor KU, so this is probably still not going to happen.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:12:49 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
More Tangible Fantasy
« Reply #14881 on: November 24, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »

Bullock + Dallas 2023 + a 2023 2nd rounder for Lonzo Ball?

Pels are over loaded at PG still and need shooting and wing defenders...

Don't Bogart That Pax 3 My Brother 

There’s no name yet for what I’m bogarting (pandemic rules: puff, puff, give is currently antisocial behavior), but it sure tastes good and does the trick.

Let’s leave Lonzo aside.

Rozier for DSJ and a 2023 2nd rounder. Saves them money, builds their draft stock, and brings a maturing DSJ back home to NC. Saves them from getting a headache putting Terry behind Ball.

Personally I think we’re set at PG already.

However, a Rozier Frank Payton platoon would be a buzzsaw all damn game for opposing PGs. You know Thibs would love Rozier.

I believe that the Knicks are committed to givng Dennis and Frank an opportunity to compete.

A more rational fantasy than BoD's fevered filligres. 

Still, why would Charlotte even consider such a one sided deal?

In his first season for the Hornets, Rozier sank 172-403 threes.  That's a .407% clip.

He only went to the FT line 190 times, but he canned 166, which sums out to an imposing .874%

So he basically he gave Charlotte 18-4-4-1 in in 34 minutes. 

You honestly think they would sell his for salvage prices, just to save the $19 and & $18 he is due, to defray costs of Hayward's mega contract?  Didn't they just waive/stretch Batum? 

Ball, Graham, Rozier.  Terry can play on or off the ball.  Why not play them together for stretches? 

I believe Malik Monk would be the odd man out. 

I like Rozier.  And his contract is not insane. 

Still, I don't think your offer would trump the Clippers for assets or sheer desperation.  They cannot go into the season with Beverly as their main rudder. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:19:33 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: November 24, 2020, 06:34:34 PM »

What would the Clippers offer? What do they have they can move?

Honestly I liked Ball to Charlotte because Rozier compliments him so well in the backcourt defending the point and spotting up and as a secondary creator. Likely Rozier stays put and starts with Ball putting Graham in a Lou Will type role off the bench.

Adding Dedmon would cost us no assets and would shore up a thin front court with a true center with experience who is a functional threat to stretch the floor.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Woulda Coulda Shoulda
« Reply #14883 on: November 24, 2020, 06:46:33 PM »

What would the Clippers offer? What do they have they can move?

Honestly I liked Ball to Charlotte because Rozier compliments him so well in the backcourt defending the point and spotting up and as a secondary creator. Likely Rozier stays put and starts with Ball putting Graham in a Lou Will type role off the bench.

Adding Dedmon would cost us no assets and would shore up a thin front court with a true center with experience who is a functional threat to stretch the floor.

Not sure I am feeling your passion for the likes of Kaminsky and Dedmon. 

I am fine with Robinson and Noels. 

Last year it was Gibson and Robinson with Portis. 

Noels and Robinson with Spellman and Randle sems like plenty of coverage, and opens up minutes at PF for Toppin. 

As for our Brother BoD, be interesting to see some "we need starters" scenarios that reflect WHO WE ACTUALLY DRAFTED, and not some fanciful Alternate WouldaCaouldaShoulda Universe. 

HEY, I was a Haliburton enthusiast.  To me he checked off so many of the Knicks' boxes. 

The Knicks drafted Toppin and Quickley. 

GET

OVER

IT

PEOPLE

Or get a Walmart Gift Card for a basket of broken dreams. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: November 24, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »

Kaminsky was actually me confusing him with Olynyk who would help us. Frank the Kam doesn’t actually have the physicality I’m looking for.

If Robinson or Noel go down at some point, we’re in trouble.

Dedmon has the full toolbox to step in for either of them and would be the most reliable and proven shooter among our bigs.

Real rim protection that legitimately allows a 5 out look is nothing to sneeze at, especially on the cheaps.

If we’re trying to open driving lanes for guards and wings, Dedmon helps with that along with being pretty good at doing the other things you want your centers to do.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: November 24, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »

Kaminsky was actually me confusing him with Olynyk who would help us. Frank the Kam doesn’t actually have the physicality I’m looking for.

If Robinson or Noel go down at some point, we’re in trouble.

Dedmon has the full toolbox to step in for either of them and would be the most reliable and proven shooter among our bigs.

Real rim protection that legitimately allows a 5 out look is nothing to sneeze at, especially on the cheaps.

If we’re trying to open driving lanes for guards and wings, Dedmon helps with that along with being pretty good at doing the other things you want your centers to do.

Interesting Argument. 

Not sure I see the Knicks going in this direction. 

Mitch Noel Dedmon
Randle Toppin Spellman
Barrett Knox Bullock Iggy
Burks Quickley Rivers Evans
Frank Payton DSJ

Iggy can launch threes and create his own shot, least ways, that was his G League Journey last season.

Would a player such as Dedmond be satisifed with spot minutes? 

I'd rather develop Mitchell. 

If he and Nerlens get into foul trouble, well, Randle and Spellman need to man up. 

In any event, Dedmon has a skill set.  So does Whiteside. 

Doubt they are on our radar.  Committed to Mitchell and Nerlens. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: November 24, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »

Dedmon is 31 and has never started more than half a season at any point in his career. I don’t think he’s thinking about going anywhere to be the man, unless it’s overseas.

He does give you 6 points, 6 boards, and a block in 18 minutes, with an EFG north of .550, over his career. He does this bringing craftiness and intensity without clogging the lane. Will he make mistakes? Yes. But he knows what the hell he is doing.

Here’s a small sample through my rosy colored glasses...

http://youtu.be/31ZgYSdl7RM

Keep Iggy and move Evans and DSJ.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: November 24, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »

Charlotte is set and with no need to save that cash.

Rozier had a good year.  Can certainly play as a 4-some (3 on court at a time) with Graham, Gordon and EllyMel.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14888 on: November 24, 2020, 07:34:19 PM »

Wayne Ellington to Detroit which now has 29 players

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: November 24, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »

I hear the Hohos need to shed salary to get Hayward in under the cap, or else it needs to become a sign and trade of some sort.

Cody Zeller and one of the Martins (just under 17 mil) for Bullock & Evans (just under 7 mil). Then they can sign Dedmon for a song and absorb Hayward and be “set”.

Mitch Noel Zeller
Randle Toppin Spellman
Barrett Knox Iggy
Burks Quickley Martin
Frank Payton Rivers DSJ

Zeller doesn’t stretch, but he does bang and comes off the books after this year.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »

I hear the Hohos need to shed salary to get Hayward in under the cap, or else it needs to become a sign and trade of some sort.
Incorrect - though CHA still can if they wish to shed a salary - and if BOS wants one of their players (Zeller and Biyombo had been mentioned)

Stretching Batum took care of the money earlier on.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: November 24, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »

Jordan Bell's a pretty good player

Just became available

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: November 25, 2020, 12:53:20 AM »

Incorrect - though CHA still can if they wish to shed a salary - and if BOS wants one of their players (Zeller and Biyombo had been mentioned)

Stretching Batum took care of the money earlier on.

Hadn’t heard they stretched Batum. Makes sense though.

Sign Dedmon, start trimming down to 15.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: November 25, 2020, 01:43:51 AM »

Well, there's a reason that ObiT, Avdija and TyHalibut were all considered Top 5 at one time and all dropped to the second half of the lottery. 
Talent + Warts.

Toppin can score, run the floor, and has a credible 3-point shot.
So a stretch 4 who can dunk on you.  Inside-out scoring from your Big is valuable.

BUT he's also the kind of guy who has his own poor D video clips.
Cannot guard the perimeter, gets lost in PnR's, doesn't rim protect, a bit undersized, gonna give up as much as he gets.  Looks to have only one positional in this switchy multi-task NBA.  And at 22 might be close to his ceiling, start off quite solid and plateau.

Avdija excelled in IL League, an 18 year old MVP, father an ex-Serb player.  Well-developed body.  Very good feel for the game, all-around player. 

BUT while his shooting form looks good, results were somewhat underwhelming.
Had much lower numbers in Euroleague play.   Some question about his ability to keep up on D against NBA wings.  Quite young and played in a weak league = some question marks.

TyH nice combo guard with a good outside shot and solid handle.  Smooth fluid athlete.  Competes.

BUT shooting form a bit odd, release a little slow, which might hamper hos 3-point shooting.  A little light in the keyster so might get bullied some on D. 

There was some weird hype that he had great passing vision and was an excellent defender.  And then that came back to reality the last week pre-draft.

I probably should add Vassell who projects as a long-armed 3&D wing, the type that fits real well in the modern NBA.  Not a flashy pick, but has range and supposed to be an octopus on D.  I could have been quite happy trading down for him or just picking him 8th outright.  Likely a better NBA player than 3-5 guys that went ahead of him.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: November 25, 2020, 02:33:53 AM »

A thought I've had for weeks:
I wonder if the Knix use their advantages.
With the front office turnover and everyone jockeying for positions and power (and of course Dolanbucks), we probably don't leverage institutional synergies.

Amare owns a team in Israel and has played there recently.  Amare could have helped us scout out Deni A.  Amare has contacts out there who could have helped.  I assume Knix didn't avail themselves of this potential insight.

I remember when Bynum was drafted 10th and we took Frye 8th.
Bynum was playing in Metuchen NJ, where Marvin Webster was living.
Seemed Knix should have reached out and had him scout Bynum and get to know the family and situation.   Frye was a solid pick -- oddly billed as a defender when he was drafted -- but Bynum was an all-star level player.  Also a bit immature, whereas Frye was Mr. Solid Citizen.

Btw, that 2005 draft cratered badly right after Bynum at #10.
The only real gem was Danny Granger who TOR was said to be very high on and then passed on twice.  Concerns about his knees dropped him to #17.  But he was easily better than everyone from 11-16, including Joey Graham Cracker taken by TOR at 16.  Knix did well scoping up Nate and David Lee.  Lee the 30th pick probably better than everyone below Bynum (10th pick), except for Granger.

Ah, for those long ago days when the Knix drafted well . . .
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1844