Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 914087 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14895 on: November 25, 2020, 03:43:07 AM »

I think that was an Isiah Thomas draft. I’m glad those days are long gone.

Both Frye and Lee got chips with other teams and N8 was a champ in the Venezuelan league not long after.

This group has a chance to be better than they seem on paper. I think we should give this iteration of Knickerbockers a chance to impress before we start shitting on them too heavily.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:50:05 AM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: November 25, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »

I left out Jarrett Jack, a fave of mine who was picked one slot after N8.
Jack had a very solid career, and for a combo guard who wasn't particularly athletic had a knack for stealing starting PG jobs away from incumbents, just ask Telfair, TJ Ford, Calderon.  Became a starter in NJ and NO after Chris Paul & Deron left respectively.

Not that anybody really wanted Jack as their starting PG, but he was such a useful player that he often forced the issue, and as a role player started nearly half his career.

I've had to transfer my affections to The Frog, Malcolm Brogdon who similarly isn't a great athlete but just a damn smart player.  I would have chucked money at the Frog a few years back.  A winner.

Before Jack, my NBA crush was Brandon Roy.  Just 36, but retired a decade go, as his knees only lasted 4.5 seasons.  Done at 26.  A 20 / 5 / 5 guy his three main years.  With smart heady D.
Before that I was a big Shawn Marion and Bonzi Wells fan. 
Marion just a killer defender and excellent boarder.  Also one of the great nicknames.  Should make the Hall o'Fame.  Helped usher in smallball and positionless hoops. 

Bonzi had a lot of talent and didn't always use his head wisely.
Could blow by bigger players, over-power smaller guys.
Kind of an indifferent defender which irked me.
Didn't get the most out of his talent, by not focusing enough and being a bit sloppy with the ball. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:43:21 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: November 25, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »

We’ve got a camp spot left open. We should sign Dedmon who’s officially free again.

Sure.

Same idea I had with Whiteside.

(Looks like Whiteside is Sacramento-bound - giving me another team to get interested in)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: November 25, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »

If Kings were in the East.......

D Fox
Hield
Haliburton
Joseph
--------
Parker
Barnes
Bjelica
Bagley
----------
Len
Holmes
Ferrell
Brewer
-----------
- waiting on Bogey decision.......should take sign and trade players from Hawks/other, a wing if possible.
Could Knicks get in on that as a third team?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: November 25, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »

Wait....

Bogey decision was last night, right?

What happened?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14900 on: November 25, 2020, 10:42:01 AM »

Adrian Wojnarowski: Kings front office labored over the decision, but kept coming back to new GM Monte McNair’s plan to maintain roster flexibility. Keeping Bogdanovic would’ve severely limited the organization’s ability to continue reshaping the team around its young core of Fox, Bagley and Hield

Okay

So add Whiteside for the one year, maintaining flexibility for '21-'22 - like most other teams.

Next year's summer signing season will be sick.

Looks like Haliburton competes with Corey Joseph for time though they could play 3 guards as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:49:59 AM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14901 on: November 25, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »

I believe that the Knicks are committed to givng Dennis and Frank an opportunity to compete.

Pretty obvious with Payton return that there IS NO PLAN to play Ntlikina at point guard

Frank is a situational guard right now.  2-3 minutes here and there - but will also get some DNPs - and I am sure a game or 2 due to other G availability that he ticks over 20 minutes.

Accept it already.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: November 25, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »

Amare owns a team in Israel and has played there recently.  Amare could have helped us scout out Deni A.  Amare has contacts out there who could have helped.  I assume Knix didn't avail themselves of this potential insight.

I know its slow in terms of what to post - but do you really think Avdija was underscouted and that is why we went with Toppin?

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14903 on: November 25, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »

I believe that the Knicks are committed to givng Dennis and Frank an opportunity to compete.

Pretty obvious with Payton return that there IS NO PLAN to play Ntlikina at point guard

Frank is a situational guard right now.  2-3 minutes here and there - but will also get some DNPs - and I am sure a game or 2 due to other G availability that he ticks over 20 minutes.

Accept it already.

We shall see. 

Payton's FT and Outside shooting limitations notwithstanding, was often a very effective rudder last season and often a good defensive presence.

However....you ASSUME he is being slotted in as the starting PG?

That's not how THIBS works, and he is on record as being a Dennis Smith fan going back a few years, and a player with Frank's defensive skills will find minutes at the 2-3 & 1. 

Hell, the Knicks have plenty of competition for RJ Barrett at the 2 & 3, what with Burks, Bullock, Rivers and Quickley, let alone Brazdeikis and Knox, if we project them to the 3 & 4.  And 5'11" PG 2-Way Player Jared Harper [who supplanted Kadeem Allen]will get a look, let alone 6'5" SG 2-Way Theo Pinson [who supplanted Alonzo Trier], whose shooting stats don't exactly jump out abd engage you, to put it mildly, though .895 FT% give one pause. 

PS: Pinson's four year stats at UNC...godawful from 3...steady improvement in FT percentages, and 10-6.5-5-1 as a senior.  Has a spot in Leon Rose's heart for reasons not altogether clear.  Supposed to be a really good locker room guy, which should serve him well in Westchester. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:17:02 AM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14904 on: November 25, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »

Amare owns a team in Israel and has played there recently.  Amare could have helped us scout out Deni A.  Amare has contacts out there who could have helped.  I assume Knix didn't avail themselves of this potential insight.

I know its slow in terms of what to post - but do you really think Avdija was underscouted and that is why we went with Toppin?

Of course not.  Speaking only for myself, and recalling Amare quotes going back months. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14905 on: November 25, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »

In any event, Dedmon has a skill set.  So does Whiteside.

Doubt they are on our radar.  Committed to Mitchell and Nerlens.

One more big

I like Kaminsky as a guy who can push Toppin.  Shooting contests before/after practice might be must see (and yeah, I know Omari can fill it from deep as well).

But of course I prefer Whiteside, who may be looking for more than the 1-year deal we are floating to everyone.

Taj hasnt signed, right?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:07:09 AM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14906 on: November 25, 2020, 11:05:41 AM »

However....you ASSUME he is being slotted in as the starting PG?

No.  Smith still has a shot - and I still hold out that there may be a deal.

The Thibs teams other than with Derrick Rose - who were his starting PGs?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14907 on: November 25, 2020, 11:10:35 AM »

Rubio

Then Teague

Then Teague/Rose

You have to play OFFENSE to run a Thibs team

chipstern

• View Profile
MYLES POWELL, Undrafted 6'2" Scoring G Out Of Seton Hall
« Reply #14908 on: November 25, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »

Knicks signed Myles Powell to an Exhibit 10 Contract.  He averaged 21ppg as a Seton Hall Senior. 

https://theknickswall.com/undrafted-story-getting-know-new-knicks-guard-myles-powell/

Four Year College Stats

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/myles-powell-1.html

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14909 on: November 25, 2020, 11:13:11 AM »

Rubio

Then Teague

Then Teague/Rose

You have to play OFFENSE to run a Thibs team

Which is theoretically the purview of DENNIS SMITH, as opposed to Payton or Ntilikina. 
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1848