Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 913461 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14910 on: November 25, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »

Smith has a lot to do with pace

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
Roses & Thorns
« Reply #14911 on: November 25, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »

I believe BoD's base assumption, which is that the Knicks did not reach out and engage in strong pursuit of top tier free agents is sibject to review. 

According to the beat man for the TIMES, the Knicks were all-in on a Gordon Hayward Pursuit, SF-PF being the object of Thibs' admiration and affection. 

So much so that they purportedly upped their initial offer from two years to four years guaranteed, but flinched at $30 million x 4 guaranteed, which I view as prudent. 

One may assume that their offer was in FVV country, like $20-25 million. 

And while they were in the hunt for GH, DJ Augustin got away, signing on to back up Jrue Holiday on the Bucks. 

As for Bogodonavich, leave us assume that there was some outreach but that he preferred Atlanta. 

So, might one fairly assume the Knicks FA signings were part of a thoughtful PLAN B, when PLAN A for FVV and then GH evaporated, as opposed to simply holding their dicks, as some are wont to assume. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: November 25, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »

Smith has a lot to do with pace

Absolutely.

Which is something Thibs has made note of, and which was certainly the signature of pre-and even-post injury Derrick Rose. 

And which explains our developmental look at 2-Way Jared Harper, the re-up of Payton, and an honest competitive shot for Smith.

Pace never having been a Ntilikina strong suit.  That and his the infuriatingly casual manner of now and then telegraphing lateral passes once crossing mid-court. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14913 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »

You have to stop already with Harper

The point I make with Smith is that he is 1 or 2 in the depth chart at PG.  Due to his pace he needs to be on the floor for us 20 minutes or so a night, minimal.

If he is a turnover machine, fine - then you can start to see other scenarios.  But I expect at least steadier than last year play from DSJ - and for him to at times be very very good (this not unlike Payton).

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14914 on: November 25, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »

You'd also have to think that Frank's bulking up some would have to do with prep to guard stronger 2s and 3s.

I am still convinced that FN is still here because he had little value rather than our want to keep him for purpose.  And I expect him to be in any deal we make, if there is one to be made

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: November 25, 2020, 12:09:13 PM »

Interesting re:  CHA and BOS

Seems Fac is right - deal not official yet

Batum is involved but BOS wants a trade exception, so seek a third team to take Nic's 27 mil salary.

I guess we could - if given enough draft pick reward for our troubles.

What would Celts be willing to offer, so that they can ADD a player using the exception - rather than get bupkus for Hayward?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Sources: Boston and Charlotte have worked on a sign-and-trade for Gordon Hayward that would land Celtics a trade exception, but Hornets have first been trying to find a third team for Nic Batum’s $27M contract to see if there’s a way to avoid waiving-and-stretching his money. – via Twitter wojespn
 Top Rumors, Trade, Gordon Hayward, Nicolas Batum, Boston Celtics,

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: November 25, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »

Interesting re:  CHA and BOS

Seems Fac is right - deal not official yet

Batum is involved but BOS wants a trade exception, so seek a third team to take Nic's 27 mil salary.

I guess we could - if given enough draft pick reward for our troubles.

What would Celts be willing to offer, so that they can ADD a player using the exception - rather than get bupkus for Hayward?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Sources: Boston and Charlotte have worked on a sign-and-trade for Gordon Hayward that would land Celtics a trade exception, but Hornets have first been trying to find a third team for Nic Batum’s $27M contract to see if there’s a way to avoid waiving-and-stretching his money. – via Twitter wojespn
 Top Rumors, Trade, Gordon Hayward, Nicolas Batum, Boston Celtics,

We have 18 million in cap space remaining.  NOT 27. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Jared Harper
« Reply #14917 on: November 25, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »

Is this a negotiation?

Why exactly should I stop referencing JARED HARPER?  Ever seen him play? 

You want an accomodation?

Fair enough. 

You have made your last posting that refererences JIMMER FREDDETTE. 

Capiche?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:15:45 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: November 25, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »

Bye, Kevin and Frank

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: November 25, 2020, 01:14:57 PM »

I don't know what Thibs plan to do.
But I'm pretty in line with kiid's take on our PG's.
We're not really competing for anything except maybe the 8th seed if things go exceedingly well.
So might as well give Jr. Smith 20+ mins a night and see what he can and can't do.  Could increase his trade value, or  he could become a reliable backup.  I'd be fine starting Smith Jr if he's up for it and could direct the team enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Franc get some spot PG minutes, especially if Smith is undefunked.  But Franc is primarily a defensive SG, and will probably be situational, since we have RJB, Rivers, Burks, Bullox.  One of that latter trio doesn't get minutes.  We might see a good deal of RJB at the 3, with Knox and Bullock backing him up.

But as it stands, Elf - Smith are our PG's.
Franc and Rivers can combo G it and fill in for injuries and foul trouble (or int he case of Smith, ineffectiveness).

If we want another C, can probably pick up Willy Hernangomez or an excess Plumlee or someone for the vet min.  Don't think we need a name guy or to spend money there.  Someone will fall through the cracks and be serviceable.  Maybe we can get Mozgov back ...
Did anyone pick up Taj?

Otherwise it will be interesting to see if Toppings can play anywhere outside of PF.
Maybe that's enough for him to learn,  But we have a hole at SF.  And some nights might need an extra 10 mins at C.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:27:29 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: November 25, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »

I don't know what Thibs plan to do.
But I'm pretty in line with kiid's take on our PG's.
We're not really competing for anything except maybe the 8th seed if things go exceedingly well.
So might as well give Jr. Smith 20+ mins a night and see what he can and can't do.  Could increase his trade value, or  he could become a reliable backup.  I'd be fine starting Smith Jr if he's up for it and could direct the team enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Franc get some spot PG minutes, especially if Smith is undefunked.  But Franc is primarily a defensive SG, and will probably be situational, since we have RJB, Rivers, Burks, Bullox.  One of that latter trio doesn't get minutes.  We might see a good deal of RJB at the 3, with Knox and Bullock backing him up.

But as it stands, Elf - Smith are our PG's.
Franc and Rivers can combo G it and fill in for injuries and foul trouble (or int he case of Smith, ineffectiveness).

If we want another C, can probably pick up Willy Hernangomez or an excess Plumlee or someone for the vet min.  Don't think we need a name guy or to spend money there.  Someone will fall through the cracks and be serviceable.  Maybe we can get Mozgov back ...

Hernan-Gomez just inked a one year deal with the Pelicans. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Uhhhh Huh [The King Of Comedy]
« Reply #14921 on: November 25, 2020, 01:31:03 PM »

Bye, Kevin and Frank

Uh Huh. 

Right after we pull off a John Wall Trade

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: November 25, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »

Willy's all-O, no-D routine didn't exactly fit well with Randle & ObiT anyway, not to mention Thibs.  I was just trying to come up with available C's off the top of my head.

Btw, I think kiid had Len on Sacto, but he just signed with Toronto.
1/$2.3M.  Nice pickup.  Big mofo with some skill.
I would have liked him as a backup C in Knixland.  or Giles.

So Klay ruptured his Achilles and out for the year.

Scurry - Wiggins - Uber K - Green Dray - WiseMan
Wanamaker - Damion Lee - Bazemore - Paschall - Marquis Chriss
Edit: I forgot Looney.

It's a good team, but what happens if Scurry misses some games?  Or Dray?
And relying on a bunch of new/young guys.
Probably a G short now.  And a pretty unproven Big rotation.

If they stay healthy, maybe a 4/5 playoff seed.
But more likely closer to 6th.
I'd think it'll take time for the players to get used to each other.

Wiggy, Uber and Wiseman can all fly up and down the court.
Could be fun pushing the pace.  Steph key to it all.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:37:08 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: November 25, 2020, 02:41:45 PM »

Yeah they like Jessup and Mannion as well

kidcarter8

• View Profile