Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 08:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which player in the mix at #9 do you wish most to see as a Knick?
Carter - 4 (40%)
Trae - 2 (20%)
Knox - 0 (0%)
Shai - 0 (0%)
Mikal - 4 (40%)
Sexton - 0 (0%)
BobWill - 0 (0%)
Miles - 0 (0%)
MPJ - 0 (0%)
LW4 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 1504
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 198226 times)
kidcarter8, yankguy and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 05:35:58 PM »

So, what did I miss?

NYTimes forums are dead, ok.  I prefer the posting format on this site of exiles to that of FWK's blog (though I could do without the "frills" here).  This place seems the closest we may get to the Times.  I like that there are other subjects to post on, adding the benefit that other posters may wander in to join the discussion. 

I don't really see why this couldn't become the permanent solution. its the posters that make the forum after all.  Get them over here. 

But if Emann's site is to become our home, I'm ok with waiting a month or so to talk Knicks.

Oh, and as for implicating Steve Francis in the losing at the end of the season?  Right you are.  Hopefully we will find what Orlando did, that subtracting Franchise brings immediate benefit.  Unfortunately I don't think we can hope for a player like Ariza in return. 

A big wet kiss from LB.

Welcome Newbie!

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
carlos123

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 05:38:36 PM »

Lester...

Connectivity is still here to bother you.

My prediction....Denver beats Spurs...

Larry Bird does not get fired...even thought he should for gutting a finals team...

McHale should also go

Nets sweep raptors!

And Golden State beats Mavs.
Nellie is the coach we shouda kept. But JVG manipulated the situation to get him fired and the Knicks on a long run of mediocrity. And please don't credit him for the 1999 run. We got to the finals inspite of JVG, and thanks to the players he didn't like.
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 06:52:37 PM »

K-9 I still got your ride. Loving it. Sawed the top off and turned it into a convertible.

Rembee welcome back. Ya didn't miss nothing but a heaping helping of excuses. Hope you're enjoying married life.

Carlos Agree 200% on JVG

Sad, all these colors don't make up for the lack of critical mass......

bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 09:12:24 PM »

December January February this was a .500 team.
Funny what you took away from that.
My impression from those numbers was that we only had 1 winning month out of 6.
I'm also not sure how December's 7-9 qualifies as .500.
Seems you get 35 wins (or to be generous 36) playing at that pace.
But I guess we've gotten used to lowered standards and making excuses.

Blame Francis if you like.
But why stop there?
Jeffries had an awful year, in keeping with his career.
Frye regressed and couldn't be counted on.
Crawford underperformed, at least compared to the expectations of many. 
Really he's just not very good.
Q did his Kurt Thomas impersonation, playing great out of the gate and becoming a crip by the New Year.
Nate didn't learn discipline yet.
JJ is still impersonating a basketball player.

On the plus side:
Curry improved his offense, reduced his fouls, and improved his stamina.
But still can't hit his FT's, doesn't play D, and boards like a SF.
Marbs made a much greater effort on D, and played hurt.
But he's starting to fall apart, and will be on the slide before we ever develop into any kind of playoff threat.
Lee became a man.  Balk and Collins showed they belong in the league.
Randolph Morris was acquired.
And we had a winning month, and a two month period where we played .500 ball.

Next year, expect Bucks, Bobcats, and Celts to be improved.  All had significant injuries this year, and have as much talent as we do.  Indy also missed the playoffs but is a better team than we are (though they are slipping).  Hell, the Hawks (with Joe Johnson and Josh Smith) could be a trade or two away from contending for a playoff spot, and they have alot of young trade chips.  This was the easiest year to ,make the playoffs.  Don't expect next year to be so soft.
trains1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 12:03:21 AM »

Damn,

This feels like a cyber USSR.

Remove: Francis, Jeffries, James
Bait: Frye, Nate, Crawford

Acquire: Shot blocking thug PF or dead eye shooter

Then hope to hell Collins develops a jump shot this summer and have him become the starting PG, move Marbury over to SG. Off the bench, Lee, Balkman, and Crawford if he is still a Knick. If Seattle stays in Seattle, possible they might pony up something for Nate and/or Crawford. The Northwest lives in high school and college, and both those guys bring up fond memories for the Seattle area
rembee

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 07:58:20 AM »

Next year, expect Bucks, Bobcats, and Celts to be improved.  All had significant injuries this year...This was the easiest year to ,make the playoffs.  Don't expect next year to be so soft.

And does this not go both ways?  I would call the Knicks' injuries in the final quarter, after the team had clearly started to hit its stride, very significant, no?

Injuries on the Knicks are just excuses while we have to watch out for every other team that was injured because that was what was holding them back, do I understand?  Hey, Lets play the next year game with the Knicks...Curry found his stride 15 games in this season, I expect him to be on from the start, adding to the win total.  David Lee will, fingers crossed, be healthy and continue to improve.  There was a point last season when I wondered if we could win any games without his hustle and double-double, and we had to play the last 25 without him.  Ditto Crawford, who lets not forget was our high scorer, drew tons of attention from the opposing defenses, and was a 4th quarter magician (even if some would say he still "underperformed").  Mardy and Balkman showed great improvement and should play larger and more steady roles for us next season, and Frye should be over his sophomore slump and be inspired to compete.  Hopefully Richardson's surgery was as successful as those types of procedures have been in the past (any news on that while I was away?) so that we get consistent production from our best two-way player.  JJslim couldn't possibly play any worse, and look for us to add by subtracting Franchise.

I agree Marbury's breaking down is a concern for next year.  At the same time, he was averaging something like 38 mpg.  We pick up a shooting-guard in the draft (as I expect us to) play Mardy more, add in a healthy Crawford and Marbs doesn't have to carry that kind of load.  He also started the season a little out of shape, which didn't help of course.

Back to the present...I don't know if we could have reached the magic number of 40 wins had we stayed healthy, but it was at least possible.  Someone posted on the now petrified NYT board the records of other teams that had won despite injuries.  Thing is, most of those teams were winners before and weren't in the middle of a rebuilding process.   This team lost key performers just as chemistry was starting to really come about.  Dismiss that if you like, but I'll stick to reality.

For me this is a little past the point.  I'm looking at the improvement, and this team was showing it during those .500 months.  Not just in the record, but in the play on the court against quality opponents.   Its a shame they weren't able to build on that later in the season.  But how can you when you don't have the personnel?

yeah, shame on Isiah for continuing to show faith in his charges.  But I'm with him.

jaqdavisone

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »

Only Isaihs team could get blamed for losing despite only having 40% of his starting lineup. Im with Isaih I think this team would have made the playoffs only if we had a few more bodies.  I think Curry developes a jumpshot next season (we saw glimpses of it toward the end of the season)making him more productive, Collins is the starting PG next season, the reason we lost so many games this year was because Stevie dribbles to much and really doesn't play within the offense look at the losses and you will see when stevie went down we started winning and playing consistently.
rembee

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 09:19:09 AM »

Only Isaihs team could get blamed for losing despite only having 40% of his starting lineup.

I hear you.  Most of his starting line-up gone, a real contender for 6th man gone, and forced to play a ball-hog who exaggerated his injury for most of the season because he wasn't starting.

There were some who were also blaming Dolan's proclamation of faith in Isiah after he extended his contract.  Yeah, it was the contract extension, not the injuries to Crawford, Lee and Richardson which coincided with it.

So, as I'm trying to jump-start things here on the board...After we won 10 games more than last season while underachieving due to injury, can the Larry Brown supporters admit that he deserves at least a large share of the blame for last season's debacle?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »

The end of a sorry season is not the best time for launching any Knick forum but I tracked down mister.earl.  Hope this old friends shows up.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
badblkman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 12:34:31 PM »

Only Isaihs team could get blamed for losing despite only having 40% of his starting lineup.

The Positive Polly's have become Pardoning Pauline's

What has happened to the tough, win or shut-up Knick fan?  How many excuses are you folks going to stomach?

This team wasn't any good when we were at full strength and yet some are willing to caulk the whole thing up to injuries?

Let's not even discuss the upcoming lottery!
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »

The Positive Polly's have become Pardoning Pauline's

What has happened to the tough, win or shut-up Knick fan?  How many excuses are you folks going to stomach?

This team wasn't any good when we were at full strength and yet some are willing to caulk the whole thing up to injuries?

Let's not even discuss the upcoming lottery!

Where i don't agree is where you say we weren't any good before the injuries.  We were bad before the brawl but you can chalk that up to a new coach.  After the brawl for the next 40 games we were a .500 team.  A playoff team at one point.  Then the last twenty games we saw the injuries take their toll.

Its not unreasonable to expect, and demand 41+ wins next season.

-Dave Attell
jaqdavisone

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »

Badblak I never thought this team was great but I did think we came a long way and have some pieces that could catapult us back into contention.  What you knick fans tend to do is look at the here and now instead of viewing the whole picture. Lets look at the beginning when Isaih took over  adn stop looking at the win/lose record for a second we have a very young roster with some talent that needs to be nurtured, look at players like Gilbert  Joe Johnson or TJ Ford  young players who came into thier own not quite allstars but players who taught thier value up.  To me Mardy, Lee, Balkmann N8 and even Frye have the potential to become good solid players but the one thing thats missing and the one thing so called knick fans don't allow is TIME TO GROW. NOw get off Isaihs back and lets stay the course PLAY THE YOUTH
rembee

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »

Caulking the whole thing up to injuries?  What does that even mean?  Have you heard anyone claim that we might be anything better than a 40 win team at full strength?  Do you really think that even the most ardent pom-poms are satisfied with that?  Are you really as numb to the idea of
improvement as you seem to be?  23 wins was this team's ceiling according to some, then it became 33, with injuries just a lame excuse.  What about next year?

Speaking for myself and not the rest of the pom-poms, (or what was it, Pardoning Pauline’s?) I have no problem with fans that may hold this team to I higher standard that I might, or expect greater improvement faster than I might.  You want to be tough on the guys, knock yourself out.  You think it’s your god-given right to have a playoff team after a 23 win season?  I'm not going to judge.

Where I have a problem is that this isn't really where the criticism (from most, I think) is really coming from.  A vast majority of those dismissing the injury talk as "lame excuses" were the very same who dismissed this team as worthless before they had played a game this season, dismissed the preseason team-building efforts from Isiah as blowing against the wind, the same guys who were crowing about how we weren't any better than last year after comparing the records three weeks into the season.  For those guys, the injuries aren't an excuse, true.  For them they are an opportunity, a chance to dismiss the obvious improvements the team made.  For them, the 3-15 finish (or whatever it was) was manna from heaven.

Yeah, it’s a fact that injuries happen.  It’s also a bloody fact that teams lose games because of them.  For every team that overcame injuries I could show you ten that didn’t, or isn’t that where that phrase “overcoming injuries” comes from?

The larger win total is insignificant says the Dawg and FWK.  I don't think it’s insignificant to be in the playoff race until the last few weeks vs. out of contention with three months to go in the regular season.  

We weren't any good at full strength says BBM.  Well, they weren't world-beaters, true, thanks for the analysis.  But I don't think a team that had built a winning record at home despite starting out 1-6, a team that was clearly developing chemistry, an identity on offense, and a young core for the future while battling quality teams down the stretch and losing (and winning) razor close games is as worthless as some so-called fans would like them to be.

tysonnnyc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »

The positives for me are Balkman, Collins, Lee and Curry's development (needs to continue this development and get his behind on the boards).

This off-season I'd like to see Francis, Nate, Jeffries and Crawford moved.  All four of these guys annoy the hell out of me with either their immaturity, lack of defense or selfish attitude.  Frye can go, but only as a centerpiece of a package to get a go-to guy in here, like Jermaine O'Neal.  Otherwise, I'm not looking to run him out.

I hope to see a backcourt rotation of Marbury, Collins, Q and one other... preferrably a dead eye shooter.  Up front I'd like to see Curry, Lee, Balkman and a new go-to guy up front.  However, I have a feeling that either Lee or Balkman will be moved to get someone like Jermaine in here.

Question for you draft gurus - Any dead-eye shooters within range of our 23rd overall pick?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »

Question for you draft gurus - Any dead-eye shooters within range of our 23rd overall pick?

Italy's Marco Belinelli
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-A4N9-ti8&NR
NBA Comparison: Ray Allen

-Dave Attell
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 1504
  Print  

Jump to: