Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 912608 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #15360 on: December 12, 2020, 01:54:48 AM »

Just from the Box:

Knick starters 2-12 on treys.  Bench 3-11.
Gonna lose a lot of games that way.
Svi almost made as many 3's as the whole Knick team.

Everybody but Bullox with a turnover.
More TO's than Assists.

A poor ballhandling/passing team without shooters.
Gonna be a long season.

Starters went 1-7 on FT's?!?  Rather laughable.
We did board well, with all 11 players snagging a rebound.
Which is good cause they'll be a lot of missed shots to pull down.

Likely Julius mentors ObiT for the first half of the season, then we move Randle and Smith/Franc for something mid-season, if a decent deal is there.  A Randle trade the most likely way to correct some of the roster bloat.  The good thing is we aren't in a rush to move Randle.  He'll grind and bang out some decent empty numbers and probably won't be here next year.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:09:36 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15361 on: December 12, 2020, 02:17:33 AM »

Chill, chill. Chill.

It was the first preseason game. We missed 3’s, missed free throws, missed assignments, turned it over, played a far less messy game than the other guys and won.

I like the frontcourt pairings, and the roles, though, hopefully, the minute balance shifts to the kids, Mitch and Obi, as the season progresses. We’ll see, but I’m trusting Thibs in this.

Elfrid is still our best PG. I hope his shooting comes around.

It may be a while till we hit 3’s easily as a team, but if we work defensively like that and stay lively in the half court hit or miss, we should have a pretty good season.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: December 12, 2020, 02:53:57 AM »

Trade of the day, since it’s in no way too early.

Blake and Sadiq for Julius & Dennis.

Who, if anyone needs to add picks?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y64zvnw6
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15363 on: December 12, 2020, 04:16:47 AM »

I like trades where the Knix get the 2 bets players.
I guess you're looking at it as a DET salary dump and tossing in Bey as a sweetener.
Be a great deal for NYK.  Blake better than Randle; Bey a nice 3&D talent of the sort we never have.  Rather unlikely.  But Blake's health always a Q.

DET started Blake and 4 guys who joined the team a few weeks ago.
They also played all 15 active players.

Looks like a rough game for Killian Haymaker.  I figured DET would draft him, relieving the Knix from considering another big draft gamble.  Though as it played out with Toppings available, Knix were going the safe route regardless. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: December 12, 2020, 11:50:24 AM »

Just from the Box:

More TO's than Assists.

Gonna be a long season.

Jesus, this is nutty. First game of....preseason. Everyone is rusty.

That said, I thought the DEFENSE was exciting. Quick hands, aggressive. Rebounding. Fun to watch.

And fuck, OBI, looked pretty fucking fearless with the ball. Not your typical rookie. I mean, he made a number of rookie mistakes, but there's something there. I saw him a lot at Dayton and wondered about the leap to the NBA. But at least in this game, you get the sense that he will not disappoint.

Noel looks awesome too.

The only negatives I felt — and I know it's all premature — is that I'm looking for signs that Smith and Barrett brought something new into the season. In this first brief glimpse, we didn't see anything. Let's see what happens Sunday.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: December 12, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »

As to our rotation, the question of who gets the Rivers minutes last night was answered.  It was Frank.

My one miscue was having Bullock over Knox.  Though I did cite Reggie's vanilla '19-'20 season so not too much a shock.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: December 12, 2020, 01:00:04 PM »

Griffin is a ball stopper.  Quite evident last night.

Pass on the deal, thanks.

chipstern

• View Profile
What Have We Here?
« Reply #15367 on: December 12, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »

Just from the Box:

More TO's than Assists.

Gonna be a long season.

Jesus, this is nutty. First game of....preseason. Everyone is rusty.

That said, I thought the DEFENSE was exciting. Quick hands, aggressive. Rebounding. Fun to watch.

And fuck, OBI, looked pretty fucking fearless with the ball. Not your typical rookie. I mean, he made a number of rookie mistakes, but there's something there. I saw him a lot at Dayton and wondered about the leap to the NBA. But at least in this game, you get the sense that he will not disappoint.

Noel looks awesome too.

The only negatives I felt — and I know it's all premature — is that I'm looking for signs that Smith and Barrett brought something new into the season. In this first brief glimpse, we didn't see anything. Let's see what happens Sunday.

Thanks.  Pretty much zeroed in on my observations. 

Loves me my BoD, but the narrowness of his focus marks him as the uncrowned KING OF NEGATIVE NANCIES.  I thought his post made the obvious superfluous. 

Takeaways. 

* Thibs has their attention.  Hate to reference Narc SpermMan, but Tom Thibodeau was the Knicks TOP OFFSEASON FREE AGENT.  By a country mile. 

* The Knicks defense was scrappy and in your face and pseky and combatitive in a manner I have not witnessed going back to when Thibs was an assistant coach back in the JVG Era.  Our shooting sucks?  Wow, what an insight, Bo.  And yes, that will cost us games, assuming, AS YOU READILY DO, that on the evidence of ONE FUCKING GAME, it will not show any progress.  Shooting comes with reps.  And DEFENSE will keep you in a lot of games you otherwise will not be in on the basis of talent.  Did Bo happen to note that Blake Griffin was 3-11 and Jerami Grant was 0-11.  Obviously some of that is rust.  But some of that was DEFENSE.  The Bete Noire of Knicks fans for years has been our pitiful defense of three point shooters.  Again, rust, first season game, but Knicks held Detroit to 10-39.  Bey and Mykhailiuk impressive, a combined 7-17.  So we CAN do better, but progress. 

* No comments by Bo about Obi, save to project Randle trades.  Now there's a suprise, seeing as how picking Toppin was such a sucky dumbass move. 

* Those who have Randle on a slow boat out of town.  I thought the last couple of minutes were a freeze frame of the bitter and the sweet, Julius style.  In one sequence he dribbled and pivoted into a double team and coughed up a turnover.  TRADE HIM!  Then when the Knicks needed baskets to hang on, he drained two jumpers.  Oh, and did anyone notice he had 6 assists? 

* Randle and Toppin in 49 minues a combined 9-20, for 22 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and a block.   

* Three Point Shooting.  Amidst a bevy of goose eggs?  Randle 1-2, Burks 1-3, Bullock 1-2, Smith 1-3, Ntilikina 1-1. 

* Free Throw Shooting is FAR MORE CONCERNING TO ME than 3 point shooting.  Just fucking awful: ONLY got to the line 19 times and only converted 9.  A lot of losses in that stat. 

* Payton showed off all of his strengths and weaknesses, a solid 10-7-6-1, but winced at all three of his treys.  French Frank was playing off guard a good deal, and I was impressed with his energy and aggression...did not seem at all tentative.  Dennis?  Made some good plays, and was warmed by the smooth technique on his made three...thought he was playing more purposefully, particularly on D where he had two steals, but four turnovers and while not discombobulated like last year, still seems tentative.  Wondering when Quickley gets his chance. 

* RJ, like Randle, the bitter with the sweet.  Clanged his first of two FTs for the evening, and among his first six misses were some painful unguided missles.  But after going 0-6, he was 7-10 and finished with 15-5-2, our leading scorer.  Also getting after it on D.

* Kevin Knox.  Not much to hang your hat on stats wise, but played with force and energy, was going strong to the hoop, defended, and had a beuatiful assist to Obi in the two man game. 

* Nerelens Noel.  Now HE played his ass off.  Don't think who starts between him and Mitchell is much of an issue.  Mitch often gets in foul trouble.  Thibs referred to both of them as ELITE rim protectors.  NN really set the tone for our individual and team D.  And when Mitch came in, he was clearly motivated.   Not to take a shot (NN nailed a short jumper).  They combined for 15 boards, 5 steals and 4 blocks. 

* MINUTES?  Offering some clues as TT sorts it all out.  Randle [29]. Barrett [29]. Payton [27].  Noels [25].  Robinson [22].  Smith [21].  Toppin [20].  Ntilikina [19].  Burks [18].  Knox [17]. 

OBVIOUSLY I was happy with the baby steps I witnessed.  And to repeat, BOY DOES THIBS HAVE THEIR ATTENTION.  Opening of the second half, Griffin was left ridiculously open for an open three.  TIMEfuckingOUT,  A teachable moment?  AN ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME MOMENT. 

Things are neither as dire as BoD suggests, nor as hopeful as I project. 

Our team does not have a Devin Booker-scaled scoring threat/sniper on the immediate horizon.  RJ teases as a cutter, penetrator finisher, but is he going to step up as a bonafide shooter, let alone a resourceful scorer.
Toppin looks to be the real deal, but he is a puppy. 

For me, the takeaway which made me happy, though not delusional, was the combative, competitive, collegial nature of these Knicks on and off the floor.  WE PLAYED HARD.  OUR DEFENSE WHILE STILL VERY MUCH A WORK IN PROGRESS, WAS THERE FROM THE OPENING BELL.  Detroit is a team in transition, not unlike our own, but these are the types of teams we need to beat on. 

Be interesting how Dwayne Casey gets his Pistons to come back at us on Sunday.  And if we maintain our focus.  Don't believe on scant evidence, that they would DARE LET DOWN for Thibs. 

Anyway, clearly more of a work in progress than a jerk in regress...I liked what I saw last night, even as I wince at our imperfections, but Thibs clearly has the vestigial traces of a competitive culture and accountability in process.  It was not pretty, but it was fun.  They played hard, they played scrappy.  That will have to do in the short term. 

Oh, and....

DEFENSE
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:27:05 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Elsewhere
« Reply #15368 on: December 12, 2020, 01:36:20 PM »

Carmelo lit it up for the Blazers. 

New additions Kanter, Giles and Covington made solid contributions.  Gary Trent went off.  Dangerous team.

PS: Grizzlies waived Mario Herzonja, Chip Stern's Jimmer Freddette.  What can I tell you. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15369 on: December 12, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »

Covington should be a great fit there.
Hope Zach gets healthy.

I like Jer Grant, been eyeing him for a few years.
But it might take him some time to adapt to a much bigger offensive role.
The $20M he got was on the high end of what I thought he'd get ($16M - $20M), and seems like an overpay, but DEN reportedly offered him the same to stay.

Zonja a classic mistake player.
He'd be fun in China.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:56:03 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: December 12, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

Let's hear the calls for Ol' Mike Miller today.

A good man - a pretty good coach.  We moved on wisely.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: What Have We Here?
« Reply #15371 on: December 12, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »

* Thibs has their attention.  Hate to reference Narc SpermMan, but Tom Thibodeau was the Knicks TOP OFFSEASON FREE AGENT.  By a country mile. 

A lineup featuring K. Knox, O. Toppin, D. Smith Jr...a defensive juggernaut, lol, wasn't expecting that! (ok, the other two members of that 5 more responsible, but everybody contesting, everbody's hands up, good stuff)

This Knick fan did not suffer at all last night.

*** satisfying entertainment, that's all I ask, I got on night one, second unit much more fun to watch than the first, but enjoyed the whole thing,
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:04:15 PM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: December 12, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »

Got that right. 

Like the difference between Herb Williams and Patrick Ewing. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: What Have We Here?
« Reply #15373 on: December 12, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »

A lineup featuring K. Knox, O. Toppin, D. Smith Jr...a defensive juggernaut, lol, wasn't expecting that! (ok, the other two members of that 5 more responsible, but everybody contesting, everbody's hands up, good stuff)

This Knick fan did not suffer at all last night.

*** satisfying entertainment, that's all I ask, I got on night one, second unit much more fun to watch than the first, but enjoyed the whole thing,

COMPETITION

ACCOUTABILITY

DEFENSE...Actual Defense, No Fucking Switching.  Mano A Mano.  My God, if we could watch game or two where we are not consistently getting nuked by uncontested threes. 

As per Kiid's reference to Mike Miller.  His defensive theory was protect the rim, which led to a rain of three point ICBMs.  A decent man, handed a tough assignment.  Had us playing better by year's end, but not developing youth or a coherent collective identity. 

Robinson, Toppin, Knox, Ntilikina, Smith

Interesting second unit. 

We're going to lose...we know that out front. 

But we are going to COMPETE.  And hopefully not beat ourselves. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: December 12, 2020, 04:36:08 PM »

Mike is a damn good coach. He’ll be fine.

I wanted Thibs since Jeff left. I’m glad we got him now.

There are pluses and minuses to both Blake and Jules. I think of it as a wash and the play in my proposal was to get Bey, who has aspects of Crowder, Tucker, Og, and Ingles that would be great for us especially at the beginning of a rookie contract.

I’m fine with no deals happening. I think Thibs can coach up Randle to a higher level, whether that’s by getting through to Julius or by having the team save him from the situations that get him in trouble. It doesn’t seem like he’ll see the minutes and the load he did last year.

Noel and Obi are the exact same listed size. That seems right now we’ve seen them.

Burks and Bullock do not need extended run in the preseason. They know the drill. Burks is also coming off significant bubble work.

Hoping to get a glimpse of Iggy, Quickley, and either Omari or Skal next game.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1848