Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899702 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #16650 on: January 25, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

TyH would have been much better than Bogdanovich (or Topping).
TyH and Wood (+Quickly) would have been terrific

The IQ/Rivers pairing had been working well.

"Thibs doesn't play rooks."  - Doug McDermott

"Thibs doesn't play schnooks." 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: January 25, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »

Rewatched the 1Q. 
https://nbafullhd.com/13881-2/

Burks iffy D:
- 1st POR possession Hood just shot over Burks. 
- A couple plays later Burks isn't sure which weak side spot-up shooter he is supposed to close out on.  He correctly heads towards the guy getting the first pass, Covington on the elbow, but then changes his mind and veers to the corner shooter.  So RJ has to rush out to Covington, who attacks the closeout and RJB gets called for a foul for grabbing Cove a bit. 
- Later in the 1Q, Burks twice drifts too far giving Hood a pair of wide open 3's (he missed the 1st; made the 2nd).
Lillard gets by Elf and zooms past Burks who puts up no resistance (Clyde talks about how that was too easy)

The Good:
Burks made a pair of 3's and had a steal on 3-on-2 fast break.

Other mistakes:
- Tried to feed Randle in a crowd down low early 1Q and it was easily stolen.
- Had a wide open 10 foot shot, but passed back to Randle who was covered and not expecting it, Julius drove and threw a running pass out of bounds (I'll give Burks an assist on that turnover). 
- his 3rd 3 with 3 mins left hit the backboard, missing the rim. Then Knox came in for Burks, who had a 9 min 1Q run

Burks looks a bit uncertain, maybe from limited playing, and overly deferred to Randle.  Burks also at times has looked unsure in this and the past couple games if he should take open midrange shots.

His 3-ball looks smooth.  Though the two games before, Burks shot poorly.
Burks hasn't played or practiced much with the team, and right now, Burks looks like he's trying to fit in and figure out what to do aside from shooting 3's.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: January 25, 2021, 02:25:17 PM »

Quickley, Burks, RJ, Randle, and Mitch is clearly our most potent lineup. Thibs might not be ready to go there yet, but if Thibs wants to keep starting Payton at least now he has a credible option if he wants to give Elf a quick hook when he makes a series of negative plays.

Payton needs to play up to keep his role. If he can manage it that’s nothing but good news for the team.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: January 25, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »

Burks hasn't played or practiced much with the team, and right now, Burks looks like he's trying to fit in and figure out what to do aside from shooting 3's.

Did you miss Burks' nice dish on the 2 v 1 with Randle?

When you blast a guy as an overrated stiff we had no right signing to his current deal - and then he comes out and shoots lights out - TIP OVER YOUR KING.

44, 55, 79 shooting for AB this year.  And yes, the 3 pt % will go down.  To a more than acceptable number, I'd think.  As likely will the PER, currently at 19.2, just behind Julius and ahead of our PER stud Robinson.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:15:54 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: January 25, 2021, 03:46:54 PM »

Analytics watch

Burks - game scores

4 of 6   15 or greater
1 of 6   18 or greater
0 of 6   20 or greater

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: January 25, 2021, 03:51:03 PM »

Julius - our king -

13 of 18   15 or greater
11 of 18   18 or greater
7 of 18     20 or greater

Wanna look at anyone else?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: January 25, 2021, 03:53:59 PM »

Quicks hit on a 23.9 last night, if you are wondering.  Julius only has three games above that this year

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: January 25, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »

Is it just me or does Toppin look slow?

Yes. He does look slow.

Seems pretty explicit. Meanwhile, he's fond of driving in from the corner along the baseline — it almost always meets with disaster.

I assume he's still adjusting to the pace of the game at this level.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: January 25, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »

In the Burks/Bullocks competition, I prefer Burks who seems way more versatile on offense. 

Would be interested in hearing what was going on with Barrett. Invisible for chunks until he was simply kept out for most of the 4th quarter. He had been playing so aggressively and so impressively. Still an open question whether he be that kind of ball player day in and day out — I'm betting yes.

I liked the unit in the 4th quarter where Randle has a series of 3 point shooters he can dish off to. You can win games with that shit!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: January 25, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »

Yeah, Barret plays just ten first half minutes, getting one shot and we are down 20.  Weird

Maybe Thibs just didn't like the way Jones was taking RJ out of his game.

Interesting that Blazers had an answer for Randle (Covington) and for Barrett but not for Quickley.

Dame's D the Achilles heel for Blazers when playoffs arrive?

They ARE 10-6 and without the best health so may be nothing

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16660 on: January 25, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »

Speaking of playoffs, Vegas odds showing HUGE drop from the 2 LA teams.  I think the 3rd team is +750 to win the West.

(Lakers +160, Clippers +270, if I recall)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
IQ
« Reply #16661 on: January 25, 2021, 09:44:52 PM »

The only rookie in the Top 3 of both Points and Assists per 36 minutes.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: January 25, 2021, 10:25:49 PM »

When you blast a guy as an overrated stiff we had no right signing to his current deal - and then he comes out and shoots lights out ...

Except that never happened.  I've merely pointed out that Burks is Joe Journeyman, much like Bollocks and Ellington and Rivers.  Doesn't mean he can't have a good year or contribute.  Reg stuck for a 2nd NYK season.

I've just thought Bullox and Rivers are better fits on this team primarily for their D and ballhandling/passing respectively.  And out of our 5 SG's, Burks is the worst defender.  Burks might be the best 3-point shooter.  Career-wise Reg has a higher %, but the last 3 years Burks has been better and Reg slumping. 

All 4 of our SG's aside from RJB have had injury woes, and Rivers and Franc are prone to slumps.  So Burks as an extra SG is fine with me.  I'm pretty sure I never said he was a bad signing.  A one year flyer on a gunner with iffy D -- so far is paying off.  Though I would have preferred a long term 3&D SG/wing solution such as TyH or Bogdanovich.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: January 25, 2021, 10:32:33 PM »

Meanwhile, he's fond of driving in from the corner along the baseline — it almost always meets with disaster.
I assume he's still adjusting to the pace of the game at this level.

In pre-season his baseline moves/drives were working.

ObiT is effective moving without the ball along the baseline and either getting open for a drop off pass or being in the mix for an O-board.

Maybe part of the problem is that Randle and RJB and Elf are all drivers, so ObiT is stuck more on the perimeter as a 3-point shooter.  A similar fate/role that Knox is contending with.

But I haven't really seen Toppings much.  Or noticed who he is out there with.  I think mostly Quickly, Nawlins along with Rivers and RJB. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: January 25, 2021, 10:44:43 PM »

Dame's D the Achilles heel for Blazers when playoffs arrive?
They ARE 10-6 and without the best health so may be nothing

Lillard and McCollum are both weak and smallish defenders.
Always an issue for POR, though both can play outscorem ball.

You can see why they added Covington and D Jones Jr. who are athletic marvels.

Unfortunately Zach Collins seems made of glass.
After bad shoulders last year, he's has surgery twice on his ankle and has no return date set.

Yikes, it's Lillard and 4 usual bench players starting v. OKC.
Seems Covington got concussed in the Knick game, maybe when Kanter used Randle's arm to punch Cove in the face.  Melo starting in his place.

While OKC starts Shai and 4 guys you never heard of before last year or this year -- Maledon - Roby - Dort - Bazley.
https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267427
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:27:19 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1844