Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 [1163] 1164 1165 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 910802 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Elfrid Payton
« Reply #17430 on: March 05, 2021, 06:31:21 AM »

How about a little love for Elfrid? 

He came out fired up, and in Derrick's absence, tallied a 20 points and a +17 in 35 minutes

He was 7-14 from the field, 1-2 from trey, 5-6 from the FT line, with 6 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals and a block. 

True, every time he hits an open three, an angel gets its wings. 

But as per Julius and his evolution under Thibs, a coach who trusts and stands by him, Payton's FT% is up to .743%, which represents a career high, and significant statistical improvement given his forays into the paint. 

He has responded to fan derision, and competition from Rose, Quickley, Ntililkina and Rivers by raising his game. 

Worth repeating: RJ has also been working to raise his game, and as his north/south downhill game, defense and facilitation has gotten nothing but better, his shooting has become less wince-inducing. 

16.5 ppg
6.0 boards
2.9 assists
.730% FT [103-141]

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #17431 on: March 05, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »

That was one of the better games I've seen Elf play — props due!

*** per Bo's analysis above — it hardly came against NBA-level competition, but matters not, he delivered.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17432 on: March 05, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »

Read Julius' tale of his evolution.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/reputation-julius-randle-new-york-knicks-basketball-nba
Including a mea culpa for not leading enough last year (and pressing).

I like how Randle references his family (in a hoops context) and Kobe's mentoring.
Sounds like he's done a lot of maturing and put in the hard work.

I sort of hate to say it but he's only been playing at an all-star level for half a season.
Recently his turnovers have crept up and his defense slipped.  But he's at the top for minutes played.
I hope he has fun at the AS game, but he could probably use rest more. 

Randle has been a tough cover all year, with his scoring and passing. 
And his baseline J the past month plus is reminiscent of Ewing and Bernard.

Anyway read his words.  Hard not to pull for the guy.  Where would this year's edition be without Randle's game and leadership.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17433 on: March 05, 2021, 01:00:48 PM »

That was one of the better games I've seen Elf play — props due!

*** per Bo's analysis above — it hardly came against NBA-level competition, but matters not, he delivered.

Yup.

It’s going to be a fierce competition for minutes with so many of our guards playing so well.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Julius
« Reply #17434 on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:12 PM »

Only half a season?

Mmmmm

chipstern

• View Profile
Blake Griffin
« Reply #17435 on: March 05, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »

So, where does FA Blake end up? 

Marc Stein: The Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Heat and Warriors are among the teams that have expressed interest in Blake Griffin when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, league sources say – via Twitter TheSteinLine

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17436 on: March 05, 2021, 01:37:27 PM »

Not Brooklyn
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Julius
« Reply #17437 on: March 05, 2021, 01:38:17 PM »

Only half a season?

Mmmmm

Bo likes to talk about season segments

He's quirky

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17438 on: March 06, 2021, 04:24:57 AM »

Really my thoughts that it's only been a half a season of All-Star Randle came last week after Chip had us giving Julius a max contract.  Give Randle all the praise you want for this year's effort, but lets see if he can sustain and build on this before maxing him out and committing to a Randle-led team.  Julius will make a significant $20M next year.  If he over-performs that, great.  But I'd wait til mid-next season or after his contract expires for any new contract.  No need to do an early extension, unless there a Knick discount involved.  This isn't a Mitch situation where the player is significantly underpaid and an injury could prevent him from ever securing his family's financial future.

I'd also like to see Randle2.0 play alongside a genuine starting PG, which will be another adjustment for Julius.  But that's not likely to happen before his contract expires.  And Randle's minutes should be cut down so that we don't cripple him in pursuit of a 7th or 8th seed.  Everyone's a superman until a body part gives out.
Just look at where Blake Griffin is today.  Besides JR's 4Q play (and overall play) should benefit from a somewhat lighter workload.  Toppin can handle 15 mins a night.  Nothing like actual game time for learning.

Othersowise, here's an article penned by Allan Houston on The Shot and the Knix recruitment when he was a FA.  From just before Xmas.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/allan-houston-new-york-knicks-basketball-nba

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #17439 on: March 06, 2021, 04:41:19 AM »

I saw somewhere a max extension for Randle would be 4 years 106 million. 

Can anyone verify that? 

If so I wouldn't be opposed to paying him that.  That's still a bargain.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17440 on: March 06, 2021, 07:16:03 AM »

I saw that too. 
I wouldn't call it a bargain, but that's not bad. 
I was expecting closer to $30M. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17441 on: March 06, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »

Max contracts

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/05/nba-supermax-contract-how-much-salary/

Chart shows it to be more than you guys are discussing

No supermax, since Julius isnt with same team from rookie year and likely wont be all NBA

Last year Kemba Walker's number was 4 years 141 mil

(key is it goes by per cent of salary cap - not what Randle's current salary is)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:58:33 AM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17442 on: March 06, 2021, 09:06:40 AM »

Corrected - since Julius next year is NOT a team option, Knicks can only offer the 4-106

As much money as Randle’s three-year, $60 million contract seemed when he signed it, it’s not that overwhelming now. Under Randle’s third-year figure of $20 million, the Knicks could only offer him a top deal of four years, $106 million that would extend starting in 2022-23 at $24 million, according to ESPN’s cap guru Bobby Marks. If Randle’s final year were technically a team option, they could have offered him a max extension. However, it’s technically a partially guaranteed final year.

If nothing happens, Randle stands to be a restricted free agent in 2022.

Read:  we arent extending him

Once he becomes a restricted free agent we could then offer much more.  (Read:  do not expect Randle extension pact signed, though we should expect that Knicks will keep him by signing or matching for '22-'23 after paying him 21 next year)

chipstern

• View Profile
Julius Maximus
« Reply #17443 on: March 06, 2021, 09:17:51 AM »

BoD

Would you be so kind as to reference "My Quote" regarding maxing out Julius.  I do not deny ownership, but I do not recall what you are referencing. 

Of course, plenty of evidence as to you shipping JR out on a garabge barge in one of your prescient trade scenarios. 

As per what Julius needs to do to convince you, if a roughly 25-15-5 stat line night in and night out and an 18-17 record at the All-Star break for a club widely projected to be a lottery lock is insufficient, well, excuse me...

I do not recall what your projection was for the Knicks record?  Anyone? 

Mine as I recollect was 33-39.  We would have to go 15-22 the rest of the way to achieve that. 

PS: Worth reflecting on BoD's ennui when the Knicks did not pony up a bid commensurate with the 18 million X 4 for 3&D icon Bogdan Bogdonavich, given our pressing need for talent at the 2 & 3.  Given, BB has been held back by injuries, but so far this season, Randle's 3-point % has significantly trumped that of BB, who apparently has nothing to prove. 

PPS: Likewise, Atlanta invested VERY SERIOUS GUARANTEED MONEY in players who "could've helped" us such as Bogdonavich and Gallinari, while Leon Rose committed pennies on the dollar for one year make goods on the far less sexy signings of Bullock and Burks, moves which BoD found lacking in forward thinking regarding our need for an immediate investment of resources.  Meanwhile, Knikcs are 18-17 [though I would expect us to come down to Earth post-AllStar break], while Atlnata is 16-20 and just fired their coach. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:35:50 AM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17444 on: March 06, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »

If we are limited in what we can offer to Randle now, we should offer it and let him know it’s available. If we are super lucky, he’ll take it. If not, it helps show the organization’s love which may help down the line when other teams can put their offers alongside ours.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 [1163] 1164 1165 ... 1847