Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 11:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be cut?
Jack - 0 (0%)
Sessions - 11 (52.4%)
Noah - 4 (19%)
Kuz - 1 (4.8%)
Beasley - 4 (19%)
Dotson - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1184
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 121314 times)
Clippernagel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17460 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »

For the old-farts here, a little NBA history from Bob Ryan (best hoops scribe ever) in today's Globe

three Knick-nuggets in there, all of which I've touched on in Elba, one very recently, two you'll like, the other maybe not so much.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/01/13/bob-ryan-look-how-nba-has-changed-nearly-years-around-game/W7XdFoJ3EnjahIHZUGuHzI/story.html

carl braun needed a summer job in 1956-7 so he became athletic director of the jericho country club.  i was one of his kids and he was a unique person and superb athlete.  played minor league baseball.  scratch golfer and of course NBA star.  we all tried to shoot like Carl but no one could.  i saw him hit 5 free throws in a row  BLINDOLDED!!!

my personal sports  hero.  
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17461 on: January 13, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »

KZ has really become a defensive force.
A great leap from last year when he was a good help defender.  There were a number of plays in the MIN game where Butler or Teague had KZ switched on them on the perimeter and ended up meekly passing.
KZ had a great NOV offensively, but has come down.
Really he's become a complete player*, a real force on both ends, a likely all-star, etc.

* he could board better, and his passing has been limited -- but there's always more to work on ...

KAT really went to town in the 2nd half.  Started dominating, scoring, passing, boarding.  Loved that one where he was in the mid-post and flipped the ball over his head to a cutting Teague for a layup.

Taj had a strong game and played KZ well.

OMG -could your timing be any worse?

I could make a great case for KP not being an All Star - we'll see.

On a day where Okafor pours in 17 in 12 minutes (not a typo) and the supposed second best player from that draft gets dominated by the best.......

Somewhere Phil Jackson is saying......"uh huh...."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17462 on: January 13, 2018, 02:01:27 PM »

Quick All Star ballot (3 frontcourt and 2 backcourt for each conference)

JeBron Lames
Nikola Vucevic
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Victor Oldipo
DeMar DeRozen

Nikola Jurkic
Anthony Davis
Kevin Durant
Russ Westbrook
Steph Curry
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17463 on: January 13, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »

Meanwhile, can anyone in China top Jimmer?

https://twitter.com/Jimmerosity/status/952213777792970752
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17464 on: January 13, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »

For the old-farts here, a little NBA history from Bob Ryan (best hoops scribe ever) in today's Globe

three Knick-nuggets in there, all of which I've touched on in Elba, one very recently, two you'll like, the other maybe not so much.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2018/01/13/bob-ryan-look-how-nba-has-changed-nearly-years-around-game/W7XdFoJ3EnjahIHZUGuHzI/story.html

carl braun needed a summer job in 1956-7 so he became athletic director of the jericho country club.  i was one of his kids and he was a unique person and superb athlete.  played minor league baseball.  scratch golfer and of course NBA star.  we all tried to shoot like Carl but no one could.  i saw him hit 5 free throws in a row  BLINDOLDED!!!

my personal sports  hero.  

I needed a summer job around '64-65 and obtained mostly gainful employment looping at a local CC. Think caddy shack, without Judge Smails. One day I was the only caddy for a 4-some that included, then retired legend, wapid Wobert Cousy. I fore-caddied for him and as I recall he tipped pretty well.

I vaguely remember Braun, so he wasn't my hero, though I do recall John Gianelli, the Italian sub. 

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
Merciless

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17465 on: January 13, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »

I vaguely remember Braun, so he wasn't my hero, though I do recall John Gianelli, the Italian sub. 

Gianelli as i recall used to ride his bike to MSG before the games
Merciless

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17466 on: January 13, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

Ryan the best? debatable...too much of a homer for my liking.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17467 on: January 13, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

Ryan the best? debatable...too much of a homer for my liking.

He was a Celtic beat writer before he became a columnist at the Globe. But IMO he was the hoops standard for NBA reporting, and its not close. He changed the nature of NBA coverage in newspapers. He loved the game, got to know the players when it was a small league, traveled on the road with them, and has a common sense, game knowledge and  he's a good writer.

I find myself in general agreement with his takes on most things sports.

YMMV

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17468 on: January 13, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »

I think I've mentioned this to you before Bank, but I distinctly remember a column from Ryan with the following pre-message board message board type quote: "If you think Michael Jordan is a better basketball player than Larry Bird, you don't know much about basketball."

This was a few seasons into Jordan's career. I think that might be viewed as trolling these days.

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17469 on: January 13, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »

Jackie McMullan is better
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17470 on: January 13, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »

He and I differ in viewpoint.  I’ve always believed a sports reporter should not be an ally of the team he or she covers.  In my opinion we should be impartial, like movie reviewers (which Ryan, a film buff, is qualified to be) or political reporters.

When a beat writer gets too close to the team, he tends to overrate the stars he’s covering.  Ryan saw lots more of Robert Parish than he did of Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Willis Reed, Patrick Ewing or Hakeem Olajuwon.

So he occasionally makes statements that seem unintentionally hyperbolic.  Was Parish really “one of the top ten centers” of all time?  Was Havlicek the “best all-around player in NBA history?”

http://www.truexsportsreport.com/bob-ryan-a-scribe-everyone-likes-deservedly-so/
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17471 on: January 13, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »

Well at least he came around some on Jordan.

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17472 on: January 13, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »

I think I've mentioned this to you before Bank, but I distinctly remember a column from Ryan with the following pre-message board message board type quote: "If you think Michael Jordan is a better basketball player than Larry Bird, you don't know much about basketball."

This was a few seasons into Jordan's career. I think that might be viewed as trolling these days.

I don'r remember the column in question, but two or three seasons into Jordan's career, Bird was probably the better player, winning the MVP  (IIRC) in Jordan's first 3 years in the league.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17473 on: January 13, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »

Jackie McMullan is better

She's very good, she learned from Ryan, but she is not in Ryan's league. No one is.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
Merciless

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17474 on: January 13, 2018, 06:27:54 PM »

When a beat writer gets too close to the team, he tends to overrate the stars he’s covering.  Ryan saw lots more of Robert Parish than he did of Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Willis Reed, Patrick Ewing or Hakeem Olajuwon.

So he occasionally makes statements that seem unintentionally hyperbolic.  Was Parish really “one of the top ten centers” of all time?  Was Havlicek the “best all-around player in NBA history?

Most NY based writers are not close to the team, nor are they remotely close to being homers. Lupica comes to mind, Harvey Araton, Ian O'Connor.

Mitch Albom was one of the greats.

Most believe that Zach Lowe is the best around or certainly the best of his generation.
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 1184
  Print  

Jump to: