Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 11:18:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be cut?
Jack - 0 (0%)
Sessions - 11 (52.4%)
Noah - 4 (19%)
Kuz - 1 (4.8%)
Beasley - 4 (19%)
Dotson - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1184
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 121312 times)
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17475 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »

I think I've mentioned this to you before Bank, but I distinctly remember a column from Ryan with the following pre-message board message board type quote: "If you think Michael Jordan is a better basketball player than Larry Bird, you don't know much about basketball."

This was a few seasons into Jordan's career. I think that might be viewed as trolling these days.

I don'r remember the column in question, but two or three seasons into Jordan's career, Bird was probably the better player, winning the MVP  (IIRC) in Jordan's first 3 years in the league.
It was the"know much about basketball that" was the trolling part.. 

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17476 on: January 13, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »

I think I've mentioned this to you before Bank, but I distinctly remember a column from Ryan with the following pre-message board message board type quote: "If you think Michael Jordan is a better basketball player than Larry Bird, you don't know much about basketball."

This was a few seasons into Jordan's career. I think that might be viewed as trolling these days.

I don'r remember the column in question, but two or three seasons into Jordan's career, Bird was probably the better player, winning the MVP  (IIRC) in Jordan's first 3 years in the league.
It was the"know much about basketball that" was the trolling part.. 

Even Ryan had hot takz back in the day.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17477 on: January 13, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »

fwiw, the Ryan column I posted had more stuff on the old Knicks  (late 60s-70s and 90s) , and the column photo was of a driving Dave Stallworth on Billy C.,  than it had stuff on the Celtics. If you old-farts haven't read it, its worth a read.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
Clippernagel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17478 on: January 13, 2018, 08:00:43 PM »

Yankguy

Asros traded for Cole?

champs just got tougher.

Yanks/Astros should be very interesting next year.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17479 on: January 13, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »

heh
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17480 on: January 13, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »

Yankguy

Asros traded for Cole?

champs just got tougher.

Yanks/Astros should be very interesting next year.
Yep.. 

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
facilitatorn

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17481 on: January 13, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »

Another Ray is a once-Knick.

With Jack’s limitations and Frank’s current state of development and play, Trey will get at least a little burn sooner rather than later. Whether or not it moves the needle, it should be fun to watch.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17482 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:57 PM »

KZ ... Really he's become a complete player*, a real force on both ends, a likely all-star, etc.

OMG -could your timing be any worse?
I could make a great case for KP not being an All Star - we'll see.

That was exactly why I chose this moment to praise KZ..
While some folks are bemoaning KZ's mini-slump, I was pointing out that he's made the leap to star, has become a 2-way player, and is in the all-star convo.  Hell, he was in the MVP convo after the first 5 or 6 weeks.  Some up and downs to be expected.  First season being The Man, teams have been very physical with KZ, etc.
Even games where his shooting has been off, he's been blocking shots and defending well.
Merciless

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17483 on: January 13, 2018, 11:21:37 PM »

I love the kid, but maybe there's an issue here. I'm still concerned by his comment of being "tired" --- at 22 yo.

KP's core strength, stamina and genetic makeup are relevant issues, with a third straight fade after brilliant play in October and November.

3 years now - same trend

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/another-porzingis-winter-slumber-should-terrify-knicks/
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17484 on: January 14, 2018, 02:41:38 AM »

The Berman article has a lot of dumb in it:

The entire franchise is built upon Porzingis becoming a superstar for the ages, contending for greatest-Knick-ever status. And while he should become a perennial All-Star, the franchise needs him to be more than Pau Gasol — or Paul Millsap.

So the bar is ultra-high?
The bum might only be a perennial all-star ...
And Pa Gasol is HoF bound.

Knix need to build a strong team around KZ, hope he stays healthy, and enjoy what Berman expects to be merely an HoF career.
Are fans really sitting around worried that KZ might be great but not all-time great?

The 7-foot-3 Latvian has not played like an All-Star since December

Which is just the last two weeks.
Yeah, he's been in a mini-slump.  But his 3Pt shooting returned in JAN (42%) after slumping in DEC (32%), and his boards are up in JAN (7.7).  Turns are way up to 3.2 per.

And Berman's article doesn't bother to mention defense at all.

At least at the end, his suggestions of limiting KZ's minutes some, and waiting to see how things go with Tim Jr back make sense.  As in patience and some mild management.

chipstern
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17485 on: January 14, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »

The Berman article has a lot of dumb in it:

The entire franchise is built upon Porzingis becoming a superstar for the ages, contending for greatest-Knick-ever status. And while he should become a perennial All-Star, the franchise needs him to be more than Pau Gasol — or Paul Millsap.

So the bar is ultra-high?
The bum might only be a perennial all-star ...
And Pa Gasol is HoF bound.

Knix need to build a strong team around KZ, hope he stays healthy, and enjoy what Berman expects to be merely an HoF career.
Are fans really sitting around worried that KZ might be great but not all-time great?

The 7-foot-3 Latvian has not played like an All-Star since December

Which is just the last two weeks.
Yeah, he's been in a mini-slump.  But his 3Pt shooting returned in JAN (42%) after slumping in DEC (32%), and his boards are up in JAN (7.7).  Turns are way up to 3.2 per.

And Berman's article doesn't bother to mention defense at all.

At least at the end, his suggestions of limiting KZ's minutes some, and waiting to see how things go with Tim Jr back make sense.  As in patience and some mild management.

Well played, Bo. 

Marc Berman is a fatuous hack...always has been. 

Tabloid panic-mongering. 
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17486 on: January 14, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »

Knix bring in a new PG, and Jack responds.
He's a competitive dude.
Good game.
carlos123

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17487 on: January 14, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »

C’mon Jeff. Knicks are doing well. KP needs a rest right now with 5 min. left in the third. Bring him back mid fourth.
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17488 on: January 14, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »

Seems that Timmy always wants to be the hero as I've seen him take several crazy, heavily-guarded shots at the end of games.  May have cost us an important win today

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17489 on: January 14, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »

OT.

That last inbounds was a disaster.  Hardaway needed to go to the ball.

Another game of Franc looking bad.

Knix got lucky when Hardaway completely grabbed ADavis' arm and there was no call.

Dang, another loss.
Knix got a stop but Davis got the loose rebound.
But Holiday passed to Davis who was intentionally fouled, Davis makes just 1 of 2 for only a 3 point lead. Holiday needs to keep his dribble and make Knix foul him.  He's a very good FT shooter.
Holiday took over in OT.
But in general he doesn't set a tempo or run a team well, despite making plays in spurts and having fairly good numbers.

7 game Road trip next, though starts in BKY . . .
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:17:22 PM by bodiddley » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1184
  Print  

Jump to: