Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 911105 times)

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Chamaco sees everything
« Reply #17730 on: March 24, 2021, 10:23:32 PM »

Easy if you have him head up - but so often RJ is already a half step ahead when he receives - tough to turn him back.  Subtle offensive edges even Clyde doesnt see...

...But Chamaco does. Chamaco sees EVERYTHING. Oftentimes, he's THE ONLY seer.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

elephant

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #17731 on: March 24, 2021, 10:55:22 PM »

And with Noel's solid play, we have hardly missed Mitch.
Always good to have depth.

Noel always seems to play well. I had no idea until I saw him night in and night out.

Meanwhile, I thought Robinson played great. And he looked so damn happy out there.

The game before against Philly, his first one back from the injury, he looked rough.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #17732 on: March 24, 2021, 11:00:55 PM »

Btw, Rose acknowledged he contracted CV-19.
Said for him it was like having the Flu x 10.
Said it really kicked his ass.  Just started working out again.
The idea that CV is a breeze for young healthy people is only a generalization.
KAT who is just 25 had a similar experience as DRose (plus had family members die from CV). Hope neither of them has any long term related health issues.

Rose was playing at a high level.

Hopefully he'll come back pretty soon. But hearing him talk, I'm reminded that there's the chance that he might not be able to bounce back. It's happened to some other athletes with the virus. Much more of a long-term issue.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: March 25, 2021, 12:41:14 AM »

Easy if you have him head up - but so often RJ is already a half step ahead when he receives - tough to turn him back.  Subtle offensive edges even Clyde doesnt see.
I agree that Clyde makes forcing RJB right sound a bit too easy at times.
Kind of like don't let Westbrook drive (uh, okay).
Then again, Clyde was an excellent defender ...

But on that play Avdija was in front of RJB, and initially seemed to correctly play him a shade to the right (RJB's left).  I think that's why Barrett juked around with the ball a bunch (loosey-goosey in Clyde's phraseology) so that Avdija shifted slightly with the many fakes and surrendered a lefty drive to RJB. 

Also, RJB started from left of midcourt so going left was the most direct path to the hoop.   Further the help defender at the FT line was visible to Avidja.  Deni was in front, had time, and could see the help defender in the middle.  Sometimes you have to obviously shield a player away from their strong hand and the most obvious driving lane, letting the offender know you are trying to take that away.

Lastly imo it's young man's defense to position yourself and simply wait for the ballhandler to make the move.  A good defender is active, shifts positioning, maybe alters distance between the players, threatens with swipes or feigned swipes.  The offender has an advantage if the defender is merely reacting.  A good defender makes the ballhandler react and think.  Another aspect is knowing where the help defense is, either by visually identifying or verbal communication.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:03:01 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Obfuscation
« Reply #17734 on: March 25, 2021, 01:02:05 AM »

BoZ, I understand you wanna defend your friend Chamaco, but what you’re saying is not at all what he was saying.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17735 on: March 25, 2021, 01:18:53 AM »

Yep, I disagreed, especially for that play.

And while don't let RJB drive left might sound facile, it should be the scouting report as Clyde correctly notes and defenders should take appropriate positioning.

When I'm playing 4 on 4 halfcourt and guarding a quicker guy with a good handle along the side, I'm going to deny baseline (especially the right, dominant-hand baseline).  In my mind is: F* you, you are not going baseline against me.  And for me, it's easier playing defense if you have general rules (such as Clyde's) ingrained in your head, as you know already what you want to accomplish and how to go about it.  Such mental preparation cuts down on thinking in the moment and allows for more reaction and readiness.

Clyde does a terrific job of boiling down basketball to simple rules.
Which are very useful when internalized.
1. See the ball, see your man (at the same time)
2. Stay down on D, don't go up for fakes
3. Don't leave your feet to make a pass
4. You play defense with your feet, not your hands
(mainly, I would add -- basically Clyde is saying the main focus of defense is stay in front of your man, and when he gets past you is when you tend to reach and foul)
5. If there's a double-team, a man is open
6. Box out (usually Clyde laments that boxing out is a lost art)
7. Keep your head up when dribbling
8. force the guy to his weakness (outside shooting; driving right, etc)
feel free to add more

One thing I try to drill myself is to be doing something useful on every offensive possession, during the entire possession as much as possible. Whether it's spacing the floor, moving the ball, setting a screen, cutting to get open or draw a defender, positioning for a rebound, moving to an open spot, etc. 

Maybe as a rule: do something productive at all times, don't spectate or just stand around uninvolved.  Now that can involve standing still if you are ready for a catch and shoot and/or keeping a defender occupied to space the floor.  But you should knowingly be doing something beneficial for your team at all times, not just be out there on the court.  It forces you to ask yourself, what am I doing?  what should I be doing?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:13:11 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17736 on: March 25, 2021, 01:46:05 AM »

I tuned into the Nets v Jazz game and instead of the Big 3, the Nets were offering up the Little 5, with Jeff Green at starting C.
Durant still not recovered, Harden out for some reason, Kyrie flaking off.

Er, this likely not the game I want to watch.
16-4 Utah 1Q lead.
24-8 after 7 mins.
38-17 after 1Q.

End of 1Q, sub-6 foot Chris Chiozza did something I've never seen before.
He missed three 3-pointers on a single possession.  Summed up the Nets futility.

As for a Net positive, Alize Johnson went off for 23 & 15, doing Richard Jefferson's old number proud.  But I'm not watching the next 3Q's to find out how he did it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:17:50 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: March 25, 2021, 04:42:55 AM »

Johnson sounds like a good versatile pickup potentially in the offseason. He’s a bigger stronger wing than any of the ones we’ve currently got.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: March 25, 2021, 08:02:09 AM »

I tuned into the Nets v Jazz game and instead of the Big 3, the Nets were offering up the Little 5, with Jeff Green at starting C.
Durant still not recovered, Harden out for some reason, Kyrie flaking off.

Er, this likely not the game I want to watch.
16-4 Utah 1Q lead.
24-8 after 7 mins.
38-17 after 1Q.

End of 1Q, sub-6 foot Chris Chiozza did something I've never seen before.
He missed three 3-pointers on a single possession.  Summed up the Nets futility.

As for a Net positive, Alize Johnson went off for 23 & 15, doing Richard Jefferson's old number proud.  But I'm not watching the next 3Q's to find out how he did it.

heh

ypu keep knocking those Nets

You will be right as to their lameness the day they are eliminated
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17739 on: March 25, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »

Wasn't my fault Nets trotted out a backup squad on the 2nd night of a B2B v a powerhouse Utah team.
Wasn't my fault Harden hurt his neck or Kyrie had other things to do.
Wasn't my fault Chiozza missed 3 treys on one possession or that his nickname is apparently "Cheesy"

I simply thought it sounded like the best matchup of the night to watch.
I was played.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: March 25, 2021, 10:52:43 AM »

Bo thought: Nets are better with two stars than three, must be best of all with zero stars!
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: March 25, 2021, 12:01:56 PM »

ORL dumped Vuc and Aminu to the Bulls for Otto Porter, Wendell Carter and 2 1st rounders.

Also, Fournier to BOS for 2 2nd rounders.
I'm not a big Fournier fan, he disappears at times and has been creaky, but wonder if Knix looked into that.  Seems BOS got him on the cheap.

ORL has a high payroll for a crappy team.
Vuc has played well, but hasn't contributed to winning.
Takes lots of bad lazy shots.  Wastes possessions that way.
Still, it was thought ORl was holding Vuc tight and dangling Gordon.

Not sure if Gordon will be moved too, or if he's part of the new young nucleus.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17742 on: March 25, 2021, 12:07:26 PM »

Wow - that's a  huge Bulls deal

2 teams trying to get better

Boston deal is a FAIL for Ainge, who was trying to get Gordon with Evan.

Thanks for the news.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
Fingers Crossed
« Reply #17743 on: March 25, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »

ORL dumped Vuc and Aminu to the Bulls for Otto Porter, Wendell Carter and 2 1st rounders.

Also, Fournier to BOS for 2 2nd rounders.
I'm not a big Fournier fan, he disappears at times and has been creaky, but wonder if Knix looked into that.  Seems BOS got him on the cheap.

ORL has a high payroll for a crappy team.
Vuc has played well, but hasn't contributed to winning.
Takes lots of bad lazy shots.  Wastes possessions that way.
Still, it was thought ORl was holding Vuc tight and dangling Gordon.

Not sure if Gordon will be moved too, or if he's part of the new young nucleus.

Uhh, I like Fournier but does it improve us significantly over Bullock, Burks and that RJ fellow?  Who would he take minutes away from? 

Also, is not Fournier an UFA who is making 17 million?  Would we want to SIGN him for that amount, let alone RESIGN him for more? 

Vucavic trade was interesting.

Orlando gets Wendell Carter, Porter's expiring and 2021 & 2023 top 4 protected. Chicago gets a good fit with Vuc and Aminu (who has a 10 million plus player option for next season). 

Don't see the Knicks being active in the trade market, though HoopsHype's latest rumor is the availibility of Kevin Knox.  Austin Rivers? 

Might the Knicks be players in the buyout market? 

3:00PM Beckons. 

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: March 25, 2021, 12:48:34 PM »

More likely we’re players in the post buyout market once we’ve parted ways with Austin Rivers.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 1847