Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1192 1193 [1194] 1195 1196 ... 1861

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1145042 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Enthusiasm
« Reply #17895 on: March 29, 2021, 01:28:11 PM »

New management teams greatest attribute is not following BoD's suggestions. 

Haliburton notwithstanding.  I was banging the drum for him pretty consistently, and to a lesser extent, Vassell and Lewis.  Never saw Obi as an option at #8.  Though clearly Obi was predicated on Randle being a 40/60 proposition, on his way out of town.  I always looked forward to you explaining what a POS Julius was. 

Oh, I seem to recall you thinking that Atkinson was a much better choice than Thibs. 

Likewise, your stance this summer was that the Knicks had blown it because they were not making lots of dramatic moves.  I keep bringing up BB because it broke your heart that we had not made A BIG SPLASH in free agency, and in no aspect of the game as Bogs exceeded Burks.  Oh, Bogs was hurt?  Sniffle.  So was Burks.  I agreed with you on Christian Woods, and not sure why he wasn't interested in us, or vicea versa.  Noels not nearly as sexy, but has been a solid sender.  Also, not sure Woods was projected so much as a C, as a PF.  Injuries notwithstanding, Woods is a player.  So is Bogs.  Always liked him, but at 4 X $18?  I liked Bertrans too, but at 5 x $18? 

Rose's Knicks have been notable in not giving away the store or swining wildly for the fences on second tier players or bidding against themselves on first tiers.  And clearly Neon Leon had serious designs on Chris Paul, which I was of two minds on, but that ended with the pandemic, and just as clearly Paul has indeed wielded a transformational magic wand in Phoenix. 

Van Vleet?  I too would have tossed $85 million at him, but clearly he was never in play.  Hayward?  Apparently we were in play, but once things got above $25 let alone to 4 x $30, we demurred. 

And yes, I was excited about Phool, guilty as charged, for sure, but the bloom came off of that flower soon enough. 

Jackson-Fisher/Rambis/Hornacek

Rose + Plus/Thibs + Plus? 

DO NO HARM

As for your lofty perspective in predictably poohpoohing the Rivers Trade, unlike Phool and General Mills, Rivers was not publically pilloried when he fell out of both Thibs' rotation and Thibs' favor, but they dilligently looked to find a soft landing for him, and for OKC and Philly it was much about shuffling the decks and paperwork and trade exceptions and late second rounders as it was for us. 

We didn't accomplish anything?

Oh, let's see, $10 million coming off the cap this summer.  I like many Knicks fans took a childish delight in Iggy, but he was going nowhere behing Bullock and Burks, let alone RJ and Knox in the 3 & D role. 

As for Ferguson and Poirier, clearly Rose + Aller + Perry + Perrin + Thibs saw those TWO OPEN ROSTER SPACES being of some value in the here and now as we attempt to sustain a playoff push.

And we received TWO # 2 picks in he deal.  One from Philly this year and one Philly owns of Miami's is protected through #55, coming due in 2024 as I recollect. 

Again, oh, ag-o-Knee, but BO IS NOT IMPRESSED.  A late second rounder impresses simple minded Chip. 
Duly noted. 

Worth noting that Philly's #2 pick is presently situated at #46, and could conceivably dip deeper, as Philly is a really good team.  Then again, if Embid has more injury problems, God Forbid, as he was having an MVP season, who knows.  And Detroit's #2 is slotted at #32.

Just out of curiosity, are there anythings of note worth kvelling about at #46, let alone at #32, above and beyond the obvious packaging second rounders together in lieu of getting better draft position as we did this past fall with Quickley? 

Jordan Clarkson went at #46
Norman Powell went at #46
Matt Barnes went at #46
Danny Green went at #46
Sterling Brown went at #46 [Huh?  A 6'5" role player in his fourth year as a pro, currently converting 73-182 treys at a .401% clip for the Rockets and in his few forays to the FT line, at .909%]

Lou Williams and Goran Dragic at #45.  Nico Mannion at #48.

So your disdain duly noted, it would seem that Philly's 2021 #2 pick might apparently/conceivably not be a COMPLETELY useless, symbolic gesture. 

The 2024 pick might indeed trend more towards the symbolic, even if Manu Ginnobli famously went at #57, though those days of low hanging fruit from Euro/International players is long past.  And everyone's fave, Isaiah Thomas at #60.  Shake Milton at #54. 

Now it goes without saying that your scouting has to be spot on to find such jewells in the middle of the second round. 

But Walt Perrin displayed great wisdom and insight in his years evaluation talent for the Jazz. 

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/05/20/ny-knicks-walt-perrin-utah-jazz-top-draft-picks/

He is now doing it for the Knicks.  CJ Miles and Paul Milsap were amongst his second round reaches.  And famously, when we picked Frank at #8, and Dallas Dennis at #9, Perrin lobbied the Jazz to trade up with Denver to select Donovan Mitchell at #13.

In his present incarnation, as part of Team Rose, Obi at #8 and Quickley at #25?  Clearly Obi is struggling and Quicks us over achieving, though Payne and WWW would argue otherwise.  Of course, IQ gets to see way more daylight than Obi, who is playing behind an allstar and on a very short leash. 

Admittedly the Knicks would do well to reference the collected wisdom of Facil and BoD and Kiid and the Chipster, but so far they are at 24-22, when Chip cautiously predicted 33-39, and what did Bo project?  Someone want to refresh my Mammaries? 

So, baby steps, but, your sense that they whiffed on free agency and the Rivers transaction notwithstanding, we can mark it down as progress, and hope, if not presume, that Philly's pick if not Miami's, might prove useful in some wayshapeform. 

Stay positive Bo. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:39:49 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #17896 on: March 29, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »

I still don't get the ObiT pick.  Not a defender/Thibs type.  Behind Randle.  Not young.

Atkinson is a good development coach.  Thibs is a win now coach.
I am impressed that Thibs has gotten such good team defense out of 2nd year RJB and Randle.  Though in true Thibs fashion, Randle and RJB are playing major minutes (which could have consequences) and weak young defenders ObiT and Knox are not seeing much daylight.  Development clearly not a priority.

I wanted us to add at least one starter in FA.  Which makes sense if we are trying to win now.  FVV, Bogdanovic, Christian Wood.  Didn't want Bertans or Hayward.
The nice thing about Wood was he was relatively cheap, and then we could have drafted TyH or Avdija.  Burks, Noel, Rivers, Rose all have contributed, but none are starters.  Going forward, we need a starting PG and a starting wing, and a legit shooter.

The pick we got for Rivers is reported as the 2021 PHI 2nd rounder.
That's currently #59.  Almost in the undrafted ranks.  Am I missing something?    It sounds like the MIA protected 2024 2nd rounder is unlikely to convey.
I have no problem with the deal.  NYK preferred Rose who was had merely for Jr. Smith.  So Au Revoir was expendable.  Nothing turned up I assume, so we flipped him for the #59 pick next year.  Slightly better than waiving him.  Minor stuff.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Draft Position
« Reply #17897 on: March 29, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »

I beleive you are correct Bo. 

The #46 pick is likely the Charlotte pick we conveyed to Detroit, not adjusted yet on NBA Draft's Mock Board, as Philly has the second best record in the league behind the Jazz. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday
« Reply #17898 on: March 29, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »

Walt Frazier
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: TOPPIN (no 'gs')
« Reply #17899 on: March 29, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »

I still don't get the ObiT pick.  Not a defender/Thibs type.  Behind Randle.  Not young.

You dont see a SKILLSET with Obi?

Caught up in the numbers?

OK - thats your right

I think he may have been NCAA Player of the Year - something like that - and yeah, I know this alone doesnt grant you NBA success.  But still...... FAILED PICK is a bit of an exaggeration at this point.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:39:44 AM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday
« Reply #17900 on: March 29, 2021, 05:23:48 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17901 on: March 29, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »

Going forward, we need a starting PG and a starting wing, and a legit shooter.

BETTER starting point, I am sure you meant.

Thibs may be all in on Derrick - we'll see.

Quickley was drafted because we needed shooters - glad folks here finally noticed.  Need more?  Abso-frikkin-lutely.

Give it up for Mario!

https://youtu.be/agTZO0jUiM8

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17902 on: March 29, 2021, 06:03:31 PM »

This blurb on Toppin is the most ridiculous thing I have read in some time:

In Toppin’s defense, he had no summer league or voluntary scrimmages before training camp because of the pandemic. On the flip side, there is no saying whether Toppin’s draft stock would have fallen if NBA scouts saw the holes in his game in the Atlantic 10 or NCAA tournaments — both canceled last March.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17903 on: March 29, 2021, 06:30:42 PM »

TEAGUE takes the Milwaukee spot.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17904 on: March 29, 2021, 09:47:09 PM »

ANTHONY EDWARDS is an insane talent.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #17905 on: March 29, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »

It's embarrassing the way the Heat has had its way with the Knicks this year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:03:50 PM by elephant »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
WIZ.....
« Reply #17906 on: March 29, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »

12-8-1 for Deni
26-8-3 for Rui
18-5-0 for Hutchison
11-6-2 blk for Gafford
35-21-14 for WESTBROOK!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:53:00 PM by kidcarter8 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #17907 on: March 30, 2021, 01:06:46 AM »

TEAGUE takes the Milwaukee spot.

Makes much more sense than Au Revoir.
MIL needed a genuine backup PG who can handle 10-15 mins a night and distribute some.  Still will be in trouble if JRue gets hurt.  I'm often surprised how contenders are willing to cheap out on backup PG's.

ObiT has played too few minutes to really discern a skill set.
And his confidence has been down lately so he's passing up opportunities.
So far there are just vague outlines of a player.  He can jump.  He can sneak in along the baseline.  His 3 point shooting and handle are okayish, so could develop.  His defense isn't good, but not as poor as advertised.  Toppings also seems to be one-positional, which isn't great these days.  Can he switch and guard bigger or smaller guys?  Etc.

Key question:
Does he project as a NBA starter?
A decent backup PF isn't bad, but not what you want at the #8 pick. 
Is he more Drew Gooden than Amare?
Not saying I have the answer.  Playing under Thibs and behind Julius is a disadvantage.  Some extended run would do him well.  If Know were playing decently and this wasn't a weird CV year, I'd toss ObiT to Westchester for two weeks of extended run and finetuning.  Otherwise, plenty of players either peaked in college or were just better suited to that game than the NBA.  Conversely, some guys are much better at NBA hoops and excel more than they did in university (tyH comes to mind).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17908 on: March 30, 2021, 11:10:12 AM »

I think on a division or conference champ/runner up, a top ten pick can be a second unit player, yes.

To wit - if Haliburton WAS taken, could very well be that HE would be a rotation guy, not a starter.

Maybe you are saying that Obi not starting now - on a 25-22 team, over Julius/Mitch/Reggie - makes him a bad pick.

Might actually be true of any 2020 draftee with regards to thes Knickerbockers Leon/Thibs have assembled.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:15:56 AM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17909 on: March 30, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »

Interesting of Haliburton -

as a second unit guy you would expect him to be on the floor without either starting guard for a good amount of minutes

But he hasnt

Just 21 minutes all year without Hield and/or Fox

I think Daaron Fox's game has allowed Haliburton to sizzle.  Who does this for Toppin?
Pages: 1 ... 1192 1193 [1194] 1195 1196 ... 1861