Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 918223 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #18405 on: April 26, 2021, 01:39:42 AM »

BTW, https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2019-nba-mock-draft/ has pretty ridiculous player comparisons.  Tends to make me believe it's written by young fellers.

Bol Bol = Rik Smits; Porzingis

Grant Williams = Dray Green; PJ Tucker

RJB = Grant Hill; Angry Wiggins

Ja Morant = taller Iverson; turbo D'Angelo Russell

Cam Reddish = more athletic Joe Johnson

oh-kay ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18406 on: April 26, 2021, 01:42:24 AM »

Torrid Craig 20 & 14 off the bench for PHX.
No idea why he didn't work out in MIL.
A nice two-way energy guy; I had him as a possible Knick FA 3&D Sf pickup.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18407 on: April 26, 2021, 02:18:44 AM »

Bol Bol won’t have his man body for another three years or so if he stays healthy. He’s going to be a key piece somewhere in the not too distant future.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18408 on: April 26, 2021, 04:07:19 AM »

I guess they simply mean that Bol Bol will be a good shot-blocker with an outside shot.  But Smits and KZ have touched all-star status.  Can Bol Bol reach such heights?  Anyway, at least they were willing to compare a black player to white ones.  Used to be that was nearly taboo going both directions.  I don't see player comps that often, though always find them fun, but hopefully informal racial boundaries have been dropped.

There was one play I really found interesting in the ATL game.  I believe it was early OT.  A hot Bogdan handling on the left elbow.  Randle cheats off the near corner to dissuade a Bogdan drive.  But Bog notices Randle too far over and kicks to Sol Hill in the corner, who drives hard as Randle tries to recover.  SolHill not the fleetest, but Randle is beat (shouldn't overcheat on the strong side).  RJB sees the trouble and comes zooming over to contest at the nearside rim.  Hill goes under for a farside layup, but Nawlins also came over for a hard contest and easily blocks the layup attempt.

It was impressive how quickly RJB and Noel reacted and swarmed to the ball.  Now if it was a guard or someone with more court vision, they could have seen Nawlins come over, and with 3 Knix sucked into the paint there's a pair of someones open.  A potential drop off to the C in the paint or kick out to the right elbow. 
But the collapsing Knick defense puts a lot of pressure on the ballhandler to identify the open man while bodies are in motion.  And while evading RJB's contest, it's easy to miss Noel diving down. 

Another wrinkle is that a Knick guard (I'm pretty sure Quix) stunts towards the right elbow shooter and then redirects to cover the right corner shooter.  So in the brief passing window it's hard to tell who Quickly is guarding and which passing lane is open.  Nice undermanned trickery.  A lot to process in a second or two, not easy to suss out the drop off paint pass or get it to an outside shooter.  Really teams should know that the Knix collapse hard on drives and try to kick to open/waiting shooters.  But it's not so easy to execute when bodies are flying around and the pressure is on.

That play just encapsulated the Knick suffocating defense.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18409 on: April 26, 2021, 08:09:20 AM »

I like Hachimura over Hunter
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #18410 on: April 26, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »

a few interesting Knicks knibbles on a recent Zach Lowe podcast. Not too keen on Zach Lowe - he's sort of a smug, screechy 13yo captain obvious type...Pelton is a big analytics guy and sees to be more dispassionate and thoughtful....the Knicks stuff is in the second half of the podcast, it's Friday's podcast (April 23)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lowe-post/id986595124#episodeGuid=e4b44226-7d07-11eb-bf4f-5b96801515e4

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:14:24 PM by Jack Straw »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18411 on: April 26, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »

Are we discussing John Collins to NY should ATL not satisfy him?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18412 on: April 26, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »

Why would we?
Collins is a PF.
Wants Big Money.
Not a great defender.
Don't see the fit.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Looking Ahead
« Reply #18413 on: April 26, 2021, 01:41:16 PM »

Why would we?
Collins is a PF.
Wants Big Money.
Not a great defender.
Don't see the fit.

We also have that Obi Toppin fellow.  Who is playing behind Julius and Taj. 

Collins is a very nice offensive player, but doesn't play big, or big defense, and wants a max contract. 

Spoil sport that I am, my sense of things is to stay focused on the moment, and for the first time in memory, we are not projecting lottery position but a playoff run. 

Still, it is hard not to look deeper into the summer, the draft, free agency and beyond. 

Walt Perrin is our draft guru, based on his track record in Utah. 

With the 21, 22, 33 picks based on the current standings, Frank due to be considered/or-not for a qualifying offer, some sort of conclusive thoughts on Kevin moving forward/or-not and a significant number of FAs one would suspect Thibs is invested in bringing back [Rose, Noels, Bullock, Burks, Taj], while IT IS SURELY PREMATURE TO BE PROJECTING THIS while we are fighting for the best playoff/post-season seeding, it would seem that the Knicks might very well look to get creative with Frank, Kevin and our three draft picks.  Either moving up in the draft, or looking to convert this year's picks into 2022-2023 picks...more vets? 

Robinson-Noels-Gibson-Pelle-Shittu
Randle-Toppin
Bullock-Burks-Knox
RJ-Ntilikina-Pinson-Powell
Rose-Quickley-Harper-Payton

The strike throughs indicate players who might be on the bubble, slotted for G League, trade bait...

Clearly if we want to bring back Rose-Noels-Bullock-Burks-Gibson, pay raises are in order. 

Thibs respects Payton, and while his rough outings tend to make folks forget about the generally positive contributions he's made, you've got to think the Knicks are looking for an upgrade through the draft, trades or free agency. 

As always, I am pulling for my Lilliputian Harper, but I suspect that ain't happenning. 

The Halliburon/Toppin debate will linger well into the future, but in all fairness to the Knicks brain trust, no one going into the draft was projecting Randle to metastisize into the second coming of Bob McAdoo/Maurice Lucas/Zach Randolph, let alone a poor man's Larry Bird [okay, that is a stretch, but stats wise, leadership, three pointers, assists, hey....]

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:49:12 PM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18414 on: April 26, 2021, 02:09:58 PM »

Wonder if Crowder (ankle) will play.  PHX's best defender on Randle.
Julius should be able to eat Saric alive.  Mik Bridges can do some pestering but he's not beefy.  Torey Craig is game but not big.  Cam Johnson not tough enough.
If they can mix it up mostly with Crowder, some Bridges, and not much Saric, it'll make Julius work.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18415 on: April 26, 2021, 02:14:51 PM »

I guess they simply mean that Bol Bol will be a good shot-blocker with an outside shot.  But Smits and KZ have touched all-star status.  Can Bol Bol reach such heights?  Anyway, at least they were willing to compare a black player to white ones.  Used to be that was nearly taboo going both directions.  I don't see player comps that often, though always find them fun, but hopefully informal racial boundaries have been dropped.

Seems to have a nice stroke

13-29 career 3 pters
15-22 from the line.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18416 on: April 26, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »

Collins is a very nice offensive player, but doesn't play big, or big defense, and wants a max contract.

Not sure we will simply be in the chinese menu mode (pick one from column a, one from b, .....)

If a guy wants to come, we should have interest

Getting to Finals is about collecting assets, first and foremost.  It is only the very rare teams that can piece it together perfectly by position

And yes, I can see Toppin playing with Randle and Collins.  I could also see Toppin going in a deal dependin g on who we do acquire and if Julius does extend.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18417 on: April 26, 2021, 02:38:47 PM »

Wonder if Crowder (ankle) will play.  PHX's best defender on Randle.
Julius should be able to eat Saric alive.  Mik Bridges can do some pestering but he's not beefy.  Torey Craig is game but not big.  Cam Johnson not tough enough.
If they can mix it up mostly with Crowder, some Bridges, and not much Saric, it'll make Julius work.

This could be where the streak ends.  I hope we dont get any complaining if it does

ESPN guys were saying PHX-BK could be a Finals preview - that is how much they like the Suns.

Who knows - wide open in West

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Ahead
« Reply #18418 on: April 26, 2021, 05:20:55 PM »

Clearly if we want to bring back Rose-Noels-Bullock-Burks-Gibson, pay raises are in order. 

Out of this group I think most on the bubble for coming back is Burks.  Burks is great to have but might be a luxury we can't afford.

Bullock should be the priority alongside Rose.  Pencil in Gibson as a nice to have probable to return given his fit with Thibs.

I think of Bullock Rose and Gibson as Thibs glue guys.  The group most likely to give efficient steady play and defensive grit.

Reggie can be offered 10-12mil which is a little more than twice his current salary.
Rose. 8-10mil which is a small raise from his current salary.
Gibson 4-6mil which is a small raise from his current salary.

Basically take Noah's stretch money he got this year and give it to the above three guys.

As for Noel... really difficult to see how he and Mitchell both remain Knicks long term.  We could sign Noel and then shop Mitch next season.  Or see how Mitch comes back and let Noel go and rely on Gibson and free agency / the draft for next seaon.  Or even run it back with both guys one more year. 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
Random Quotes
« Reply #18419 on: April 26, 2021, 05:36:50 PM »

"I think he's a better version of Zion Williamson to me," Oakley said Monday of Julius Randle during an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio (h/t Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News). "Because he can do more. … I said last year, they [the Knicks] didn't have a superstar. And now they got a superstar."

Trying to score a few points with New York basketball fans on Monday, Andrew Yang instead shot an airball.

The mayoral candidate likened the improved New York Knicks, now on a nine-game winning streak and ranked fourth seed in the Eastern Conference, to an “ex-girlfriend that you root for” — but said his youthful relationship with the team was “abusive.”

“I just see the Knicks like an ex-girlfriend that you root for, you know what I mean? Like, you wish her well,” the Democratic front-runner said in an interview with ESPN Radio. “I was a hardcore Knicks fan through my entire childhood. [Patrick] Ewing, [John] Stark, [Charles] Oakley, [Anthony] Mason, the entire gang. But then they dumped Jeremy Lin, and James Dolan just became really hard to root for.”

Later in life, Yang soured on the Knicks — and now roots for the Nets.

Uh, Earth to YANG, the Knicks did NOT DUMP Jeremy Lin. 

There was a contract on the table, but Jeremy and his agent, went out and got a counter offer, a three year contract that was back loaded with 14.9 million in the final year, to make it if not untenable, very unappetizing to the Knicks, who chose not to match and get pushed into luxury tax territory.  Had the Knicks matched the offer sheet, the balloon payment in the third year of the deal would have cost the team at least $35 million in luxury tax penalties.

I was a big fan of Lin, BUT HE FUCKING BLEW IT. 

Had a three year deal with Houston, and they offloaded him before that big third year came do. 
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 1848