Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 918219 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Good Problems To Have
« Reply #18420 on: April 26, 2021, 06:22:32 PM »

Clearly if we want to bring back Rose-Noels-Bullock-Burks-Gibson, pay raises are in order. 

Out of this group I think most on the bubble for coming back is Burks.  Burks is great to have but might be a luxury we can't afford.

Bullock should be the priority alongside Rose.  Pencil in Gibson as a nice to have probable to return given his fit with Thibs.

I think of Bullock Rose and Gibson as Thibs glue guys.  The group most likely to give efficient steady play and defensive grit.

Reggie can be offered 10-12mil which is a little more than twice his current salary.
Rose. 8-10mil which is a small raise from his current salary.
Gibson 4-6mil which is a small raise from his current salary.

Basically take Noah's stretch money he got this year and give it to the above three guys.

As for Noel... really difficult to see how he and Mitchell both remain Knicks long term.  We could sign Noel and then shop Mitch next season.  Or see how Mitch comes back and let Noel go and rely on Gibson and free agency / the draft for next seaon.  Or even run it back with both guys one more year.

Interesting scenarios, Kam. 

Don't agree with all of it, but no surprise there. 

Least way, for the first time in memory, WE HAVE OPTIONS.

Of course, a lot depends on how we close out the regular season, and if at the very least we make it to the second round. 

Mitch was getting to his next level when he got hurt. 

Nerlens has taken the increased playing time and responsbility and run with it. 

I don't see Thibs blowing off EITHER of them.  With Taj on ice, or Pelle, or both, Nerlens and Mitch give Thibs 12 hard fouls to deliver and a lockdown platoon of rim guardians. 

Burks on the bubble?  Really?  Why?

Reckon it depends on whom we draft, if we remain committed to Kevin/and-or/Frank. 

Rose, Noels, Gibson, Bullock and Burks have all blossomed and prospered under Thibs and in tandem with Julius. 

For someone who was not seen to be a player development guy, given that Derrick and Taj were old hands on Tom's Farm, if you take Randle, RJ and Quickley's incredible progrss, and factor in the advances Noel, Bullock and Burks have made under Thibs, and the incredible chemistry they have developed with Julius, well, that's a good problem to have

As to how this might or might not factor with free agency? 

Might someone like UFA Mike Conley be available at a better price? 

Do we go all in for Dennis Schoreder or is he a LeBron lifer.  Likewise what is his signing ceiling.  Something like Van Vleet's contract? 

Is Lonzo Ball a target?  Excellent court vision, good defender, improving three point shooter.  How high an offer do we go where Pelicans don't match?  Do we do a sign and trade?  Frank and Kevin and the 2023 Dallas pick?  Is that too little or too damn much? 

Might Spencer Dimwiddie be an option?  HAHAHAHA

A lot depends on how charming and disarming and clever Leon and WWW and Perry can be with Derrick, Nerlens, Alec, Reggie and Taj, and in turn, how committed they are to playing with Julius and for Thibs, and to work with management on sustaining and extending on the chemistry and vibe of being on a winning Knicks team come November 2021 in a packed Garden. 

I believe the recent two-way/10-day fandango Rose and WWW and Perry engaged in with Harper and Powell and Pelle and Shittu, indicates that RELATIONSHIPS are important to these managers and former agents. 

Obviously the 2020-2021 free agents were sold on the idea of being part of something, rolling the dice on one year contracts. 

A lot of what Rose and WWW and Perry have done this past season has been to maintain cap space and flex going forward.  When Chris Paul and Van Vleet didn't materialize, and Hayward proved too pricey, they went to Plan B.  Did not toss long term contracts at the likes of Bogdoavich, talented though he may be. 

BB = 18 million x 4 years

NN = 5 million; Burks = 6 million; Bullock = 4 million; Taj =3 million = 18 million x 1 years

Not sexy, not THE BIG SPLASH, but prudent, and because THIBS & His Staff transformed the culture, given how Julius and RJ not only supercharged their games but that of their team mates, transformed chickenship into chicken salad [Smith for Rose], struck gold with IQ and remained patient with Obi, and gor the mostout of Elfrid as a placeholder, they [WE] are in a much more tenable position going into this summer. 

Dolan is many things, but CHEAP is not one of them. 

He gave Leon Rose carte blanche to pay premium for Thibs, not to mention big money for Payne, Bryant, Aller and Perin [and WWW]. 

We are in the playoff hunt, after years of throwing big money at the likes of ego maniacs such as Larry Brown and Phil Jackson and being vilified by fans and press alike. 

So...out of 30 teams, the Knicks have all of their draft picks, and the second lowest payroll in the league, after OKC. 

That's $98,594,081 for 2020-2021, and $49,718,957 for 2021-2022 counting Julius' 19.8  million and the final  $6.4 million of Noah's stretch. 

Reasons to be cheerful. 

Anyway, Kam, sorry to go so over the top on y'all, but based on how the playoff run goes, and the draft, I have to believe that in lieu of significant raises, while their is of course no substitute for money, camraderie counts for something, and...And...AND, AGAIN, How Much Is Playing On A Winning Team In NYC With A YOUNG CORE and an emerging superstar In Front Of 19,800 Howling Fans At The Mecca Worth with a ferocious rivalry across the Brooklyn Bridge looming?

We shall see.

GO KNICKS
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:30:18 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #18421 on: April 26, 2021, 08:37:33 PM »

JEREMY LIN made SIXTY-FIVE million dollars - and that is just NBA money.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18422 on: April 26, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »

Missed the 1st half.
Randle came alive 3Q.
Bridges with an excellent 3Q for PHx
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:29:42 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18423 on: April 26, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »

Collins to NYK seems like such a complete non-starter to me.

Agree with Kam, hard to see both Nawlins and Mitch coming back (or at least here more than one more year).  I guess we DnT Mitch.

Cris Paul not doing much and slowing things down.

Best defense I've seen from Cam Johnson.  Fairly solid on many Knix.
I've mostly seen him as a sieve before.  And he's started popping 4Q 3's.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:34:09 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18424 on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »

Sorry just can't help imagining Bridges on the Knix instead of Knox ...

Rose gets hot and cuts PHX 8 point lead down to 4 (and a terrific almost steal on Book leading to a 24 sec violation).  So PHX swicthes Bridges on to Rose.
Then Bridges pops a corner 3 and drives for a dunk.
Excellent 2nd half for Bridges.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18425 on: April 26, 2021, 09:44:26 PM »

This PAUL cat is pretty good.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #18426 on: April 26, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »

Well NBA this is the level of play you need to beat the Knicks at MSG.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18427 on: April 26, 2021, 09:46:56 PM »

Collins to NYK seems like such a complete non-starter to me.

May not be a shortage of guys looking to come in.

And JC wants to stay in ATL

Time'll tell

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18428 on: April 26, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »

I do think KNICKS SPEND ALL THEIR CAP SPACE ON KEEPING THEIR OWN is a ridiculous headline

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Good Problems To Have
« Reply #18429 on: April 26, 2021, 09:53:15 PM »

Clearly if we want to bring back Rose-Noels-Bullock-Burks-Gibson, pay raises are in order. 

Out of this group I think most on the bubble for coming back is Burks.  Burks is great to have but might be a luxury we can't afford.

Bullock should be the priority alongside Rose.  Pencil in Gibson as a nice to have probable to return given his fit with Thibs.

I think of Bullock Rose and Gibson as Thibs glue guys.  The group most likely to give efficient steady play and defensive grit.

Reggie can be offered 10-12mil which is a little more than twice his current salary.
Rose. 8-10mil which is a small raise from his current salary.
Gibson 4-6mil which is a small raise from his current salary.

Basically take Noah's stretch money he got this year and give it to the above three guys.

As for Noel... really difficult to see how he and Mitchell both remain Knicks long term.  We could sign Noel and then shop Mitch next season.  Or see how Mitch comes back and let Noel go and rely on Gibson and free agency / the draft for next seaon.  Or even run it back with both guys one more year.

Interesting scenarios, Kam. 

Don't agree with all of it, but no surprise there. 

Burks on the bubble?  Really?  Why?

As a bench player here he might be seeking a bigger role and more money elsewhere.   That's the only reason.  And rather than match any offer I want to make sure we can retain guys like Bullock and Rose who in my opinion are less easy to replace with their skillset.   

When you rank bench contributors to winning I think Rose, Noel, even IQ have been every bit as important as Burks if not more so.   So how much do you pay your 8th  most valuable guy?
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18430 on: April 26, 2021, 09:54:57 PM »

I thought CP3 was kind of a mess, then hit a circus shot to beat the shot clock.  And then a killer clinching 3.  But all that pounding made PHX possessions tough at the end of the shot clock frequently.

Bridges was great.  Did any Knick from Randle to Rose score on him in the 4Q?
Actually I think he was caught on that Bullock baseline cut on a nice dime from Rose.  I assume Bridges was trying to cheat off.  Bridges just had a terrific 2-way 2nd half.
And credit to Cam John for bouncing back after a poor 1st half.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18431 on: April 26, 2021, 09:57:53 PM »

Knix played down to the buzzer on a game where our main guys weren't on.
Rose did great work.  Loved that semi-steal, and those floaters over Ayton.
Reg Bull was good and strong on D.
Loved that late corner 3 from Randle.
I don't even think the pass was for him.
Randle did have defensive lapses and miscues.
But I'm sure that isn't due to averaging 48.5 minutes per game ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Random Quotes
« Reply #18432 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:58 PM »

"I think he's a better version of Zion Williamson to me," Oakley said Monday of Julius Randle during an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio (h/t Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News). "Because he can do more. … I said last year, they [the Knicks] didn't have a superstar. And now they got a superstar."

Right on Oak.
Zion isn't Julius Randle (yet?)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18433 on: April 26, 2021, 10:34:31 PM »

I thought CP3 was kind of a mess, then hit a circus shot to beat the shot clock.  And then a killer clinching 3.  But all that pounding made PHX possessions tough at the end of the shot clock frequently.

heh

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18434 on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »

Right on Oak.
Zion isn't Julius Randle (yet?)

Oakman shouldnt be lining up for any GM jobs just yet
Pages: 1 ... 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 ... 1848