Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1244 1245 [1246] 1247 1248 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907980 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Luca Vildoza Sleeps With The Fishes
« Reply #18675 on: May 06, 2021, 09:08:29 PM »

lol, u definitely got my attention with Devin

Indubitiably.

Not a realistic phantasy, I'm afraid.  Phoenix is well into their rebuild with a great coach on the bench and a great coach on the floor. 

Not sure but that Lonzo Ball is a more realistic fantasy. 

Save that I cannot for the life of me comprehend why the Pelicans would let him walk?  If the Knicks offered him 4 x 20 million, do the Pelicans decline to match?  I cannot wrap my head around that.  Ball, Ingram and Zion are quite the core moving forward. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/luca-vildoza-1.html

Which is part of what makes the signing of Luka Vildoza so interesting. 

I get why some fans are, well, cautious in embracing the notion of him as naught but a scrub. 

But his game, based on what I have seen from an admittedly cherry picked highlight reel of YouTube clips, is tantalizing, and I've been a number of plays that definitely remind me of Prigioni, Campazzo and Rose Version 3.2

He is not wildly athletic on the order of a Jah Morant, but he is very scrappy, plays D, can hit the three at a decent clip, drains FTs at a .831% for his career and seems like an adept P&R man. 

What caught my attention were his instincts for changing speeds, and getting to the rack; I saw a couple of plays where his crossover and okey doke change of pace suggested what we have seen of D-Rose.  Not too shabby. 

Is he a talent on the order of D-Rose, 1.0 or 2.3? 

I didn't say that, but having gotten so thoroughly schooled by the diminutive Campazzo last night, doth give me pause. 

I think it is likely that a healthy and motivated Rose will be brought back.  Payton has been a good soldier and a stout defender, but I suspect the Knicks are moving on from him, with thanks. 

Might Thibs deploy, and would Vildoza be able to fill, the table setter's role Payton has filled this season?  Rose has proven very effective in the role of the game changer off of the bench, gobbling up more and more minutes with both the second and first units. 

Might the Knicks be comfortable with PG coverage from Rose and Vildoza, with Quickley and Burks pulling double duty as combo wings at SG/PG and SF/SG/PG respectively? 

My affection for and rooting interest in Jared Harper notwithstanding [based in large part off his collegiate pedigre], not sure if the Knicks project him into our future as much more part of our Westchester Taxi Squad along with the likes of Skal Labissiere, Myles Powell and Simisola-Shittu.  The 10-day/Two Way juggling the Knicks have done with Harper and Powell would seem to suggest a desire to remain on congenial terms with these prospects, and to leave the door ajar, if not wide open. 

Committing to at least one year guaranteed out of four with Vildoza, and picking up a $2 million buyout, is a pretty significant commitment, hedging one's bets notwithstanding.  Pretty bold move jumping the gun on the draft and free agency and getting a heads up on 2021-2022. 

WE SHALL SEE.

As per the draft and free agency, one would think that the Knicks would be committed to reupping many of our free agents, and I believe their caution with Mitchell going forward suggests an ongoing commitment to the developomental work we have put in and the progress he has made. 

I suspect that our two #1 picks, at the very least, one could be tethered to Kevin and/or Frank either to move up or to secure a veteran asset who fits Thibs' system.  Or even to acquire another #1 pick in the 2022 draft class. 

In some mock projections I have seen that 6'8" Australian PG Josh Giddey fall into our range [not a drop dead shooter, but allegedly the best passer in the class] while in other projections, he is a 10-14 pick.  Right now we have the 20/23 and 32/58 picks. 

I leave it to BoD to project what our areas of greatest needs are, but I suspect it is something along the lines, dare I say it, a 3/4 & D with a stroke, a big athletic wing with a stroke and a handle, a PG should one jump out at us, even though we might be stocked with Derrick, Immanuel, Luca and [presumably] Alec.  Oh and another 7 foot rim protector project. 

Who knows. 

Just passing the time waiting...HERE COME THE SUNS. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Luca's Brassy
« Reply #18676 on: May 06, 2021, 09:18:30 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #18677 on: May 06, 2021, 10:41:03 PM »

Pacers handled their business and downed the Hawks. Unfortunately the Mavs and Pistons both won.

We’re two up in the loss column on Atlanta and Boston.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Ooops
« Reply #18678 on: May 06, 2021, 11:10:09 PM »

Immanuel Quickley doubtful for Friday against Suns

Mike Vorkunov: Immanuel Quickley and Alec Burks are both doubtful to play for the Knicks tomorrow night in Phoenix, the team says. Quickley has a sprained left ankle. Burks has a left knee contusion. – via Twitter MikeVorkunov

chipstern

• View Profile
Luca What We Got
« Reply #18679 on: May 07, 2021, 12:38:15 AM »

The Knicks officially announced the signing of Argentinian combo guard Luca Vildoza Thursday, and one of his countrymen said he believes they’ve made a smart addition.

Nuggets rookie point guard Facundo Campazzo, who had a big game in Denver’s rout of the Knicks on Wednesday night, told The Post that Vildoza has always been destined for the NBA, even though he went undrafted in 2017.

Vildoza and Campazzo have played together on Argentina’s national team the last four years and competed against each other for three seasons in the Spanish league.

“He’s an NBA player,’’ Campazzo told The Post in a phone interview from Denver. “He has something special in his game. Sooner or later, we knew he was going to play in the NBA. I think he’s going to make an impact here. I believe he can make it and is going to improve a lot in his game here. He can be here many years.’’

The 6-foot-3 Vildoza, who is 25, signed a four-year, $13 million deal, but it’s only partially guaranteed. The Knicks, however, are invested because they have to pay his Spanish league team, Baskonia, $2 million for his buyout.

Campazzo, 30, left the Spanish league last summer and has seen success as a pass-first point guard. Vildoza can even be more versatile.

“He’s a very talented player, very smart too,’’ Campazzo said. “When you see him play his game, I enjoy watching him play every game. You can see in the moment, he’s so talented. He does spectacular plays every game. He makes his teammates much better. That’s very important to him.’’

According to Campazzo, Vildoza still is in Spain, dealing with immigration work issues. He doesn’t know when Vildoza will board a flight to the United States.

“He told me he’s so anxious, so excited,’’ Campazzo, who scored 16 points with four assists, nine rebounds and five steals versus the Knicks, said. “He can’t wait to meet his teammates, see the city, meet the team. He can’t believe the last few days. He can’t wait to go to New York.’’

The two formed the backcourt for Argentina’s 2019 World Cup team that made the finals, also teamed in events such as the Pan American Games and will reunite for the Olympics this summer.

Campazzo said they rotated who played the point.

“He’s [a] very special player,’’ Campazzo said. “He likes to score, likes to pass, plays hard on defense, too.’’

Vildoza, who averaged 10.1 points and 3.4 assists this past season, won the Finals MVP in leading Baskonia to the 2020 Spanish championship. Campazzo won a title with Real Madrid in 2019.

The two Argentinians have spoken a lot more in recent days. Campazzo said one element Vildoza must master is adjusting to the NBA 3-point line. In his three seasons in the Spanish league, Vildoza shot a decent enough 35.9 percent from 3.

“It’s different. You have to practice that 3-point shot,’’ Campazzo said. “It’s really farther (about 1.5 feet around most of the arc, though about the same in the corners) from the rim than Europe.’’

Working the pick-and-roll is Vildoza’s specialty.

“He won’t have problems to score,’’ Campazzo said. “When he plays the pick-and-roll, his shot off the dribble, his [release] is high and it’s a tough shot to block. His middle-range jump shot, he’s very effective. And he’s very good passing it at the same time.’’

Vildoza could join the Knicks in time for the playoffs, but this signing is more about the future. Sources contend a handful of teams would have been interested in Vildoza as an August free agent. The Knicks’ three point guards — Elfrid Payton, Derrick Rose and Frank Ntilikina — all will be free agents after the season.

“He wanted to know how we play here,’’ Campazzo said. “How the NBA plays defense compared to Europe. I tried to advise him but he’s very talented and he knows the players here. The time in Spain is midnight [when the NBA plays on the East Coast], but he knows every player for sure.’’

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:10:21 AM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18680 on: May 07, 2021, 01:31:09 AM »

I'm not fixated on Lillard.  Chip picked up a Lillard rumor from somewhere and I thought most of you guys were nuts for not liking it, despite it being incredibly unrealistic that POR would ditch Lillard, let alone in such a lopsided trade.

Knix need a legit starting PG.  Hard to see where we get one.
Lillard isn't perfect -- age, expense, defense -- but checks one helluva lotta boxes that Knix really need  -- clutch scoring, leadership, ballhandling, offense, PG-errific, cajones de brasso (note: not a czarlos approved translation, use at your own risk).

I'll take either Ball.  It's hard to see Fox becoming available.
I'd take Lowry on a bloated 1 or 2 year deal.
Brunson is an interesting backup.
Dinwiddie?
INDy imploding -- I'd take The Frog (Brogdon).
DeJounte is what we hoped Franc would become. But he hasn't really clicked yet -- Thibs would love him.
I wouldn't want Tangelo, Westbrook, Wall, Schroder ...

Things happen and a player might shake loose, but for now it's hard to see any quality PG's becoming attainable (except perhaps LonZo).  Or we bowl over POR with our role player extravaganza ...

Lonzo, Brogdon, Dinwiddie, Brunson, DeJounte is all I've come up with ...
Pair them with Rose.
The Argentinian addition sure says goodbye to Franco.  There was no way we were picking up a $9M tab on him.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:06:30 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18681 on: May 07, 2021, 01:37:25 AM »

ELF is 4th in Defensive real +/- among PG's, just ahead of Simmons.
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1
But dead last (91st) Offensive real +/-
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/ORPM/position/1
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Earth To BoD
« Reply #18682 on: May 07, 2021, 02:57:59 AM »

I'm not fixated on Lillard.  Chip picked up a Lillard rumor from somewhere and I thought most of you guys were nuts for not liking it, despite it being incredibly unrealistic that POR would ditch Lillard, let alone in such a lopsided trade.

Lillard isn't perfect -- age, expense, defense -- but checks one helluva lotta boxes that Knix really need  -- clutch scoring, leadership, ballhandling, offense, PG-errific, cajones de brasso (nbote: not a czarlos approved translation, use at your own risk).

Dinwiddie?
DeJounte is what we hoped Franc would become. But he has really clicked yet -- Thibs would love him.

Things happen and a player might shake loose, but for now it's hard to see any quality PG's becoming attainable (except perhaps LonZo).  Or we bowl over POR with our role player extravaganza ...

Pair them with Rose.
The Argentinian addition sure says goodbye to Franco.  There was no way we were picking up a $9M tab on him.

Lowry?

Mmmmmm.  Be still my heart.  Great competitor.  Too bad fucking Zeke took Renaldo Balkman.  Think he makes more sense for Sixers, given how they are farther along in their evolution than we are, and his Philly roots.  And I LOVES ME some Dame, but not at the cost of another Melo/Hershel scaled evisceration.  Not like we are going to get Dame for Knox and Ntilikina, or God forbid, Dennie Smith and a #2. 

Meanwhile, while I was genuinely excited when we made the trade with Detroit, inexplicably...Derrick Rose has been playing lights fucking out at POINT FUCKING GUARD.  [/i][/color]

There was chatter about the Knicks bringing Rick Brunson on board the better to entuce his son into donning a Knicks uniform.  I think Mark Cuban would beg to differ, unless we wanted to take back Porzingis' contract.  Likwise DeJounte Murray, whom Pops seems to really love. 

Don't quote me on this, but my understanding is Knicks management is divided on Lonzo Ball.  Out of all the names we are discussing, he makes the most sense, but I think it is a long shot. 

I believe that the Knicks are 22-9 with Rose In The Lineup.  As of April 19 they were 15-7. 

Agree that the signing of Vildoza would seem to signal taps for Ntilikina, supplanted at the point by Rose, and at combo guard by Burks and Quickley.  Likely also fare thee well for Elfrid.  That real defensive vs real offensive +/- was not exactly film at eleven. 

Finally, don't mean to go all Jared Harper on your ass, but the Vildoza signing was a damn interesting move.  Perhaps he slots in as more of a combo guard lightning bug like IQ, but based on what I saw of his Argentinian homeboy last night,  Xmas may have arrived early for Knicks fans. He's got skills, and he appears to have a nice competitive attitude.     
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:00:07 AM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18683 on: May 07, 2021, 03:28:57 AM »

BallZo is just 23.  Played with Randle his rook season, with both starting.
So should check in with Julius on Ball's balling.
LonZo arrived in NO just after Randle left.  So they know many of the same folks.

Would seem to be a good player and good asset for NYK to have.
BallZo has shot 37.5% on 3's last two years in NOPe on high volume.
Not a traditional PG, so Randle could still do a good deal of facilitating (and getting Zo open 3's). Ball plays solid/strong D.  Seems a lot like what the Knix could use.
Take pressure and wear off of Rose.  Both can function on/off the ball.

Check the fit and either roll with ZoBall long-term, or later flip him for value.
The kind of quality young player that could be used to upgrade if needed/desired (sort of the way Bledsoe, Conley, Rubio and Kyrie have been shuffled around).

Seems like both a good fit now and good asset accumulation to me and the homeless neighborhood guy ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Jerrya

• View Profile
« Reply #18684 on: May 07, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »

Looks like 3-3 over the last 6 games might be good enough to hold on to 4th place.  I don't think tonight will be one of them.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18685 on: May 07, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »

If Randle takes the extension and they both want to play here together, I have no problem throwing a big bag at Zo. I just don’t feel any urgency about it.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

elephant

• View Profile

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
HOPELESS IGNORANCE
« Reply #18687 on: May 07, 2021, 08:39:16 PM »

Lillard isn't perfect -- age, expense, defense -- but checks one helluva lotta boxes that Knix really need  -- clutch scoring, leadership, ballhandling, offense, PG-errific, cajones de brasso (note: not a czarlos approved translation, use at your own risk).

Dinwiddie?
DeJounte is what we hoped Franc would become. But he hasn't really clicked yet -- Thibs would love him.

Things happen and a player might shake loose, but for now it's hard to see any quality PG's becoming attainable (except perhaps LonZo). Or we bowl over POR with our role player extravaganza ...

Pair them with Rose.

BoZ, I thought I schooled you once before and I also thought at the time that maybe you had learned something.

I WAS WRONG. Your IGNORANCE is HOPELESS. I don't think you are malicious, just plain ignorant and unable to learn.

Maybe my doggie is right about you, after all.

I ain't gonna try again, it would be a wasted effort.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #18688 on: May 07, 2021, 10:42:57 PM »

After 1st quarter
Payton -11
Rose +14
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18689 on: May 07, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »

What happened 1st half?
Only caught the last minute.
And so far on a PHX feed.
There's 18 links, so hopefully I'll unearth CLyde & MSG ...

Looks like Rose was blooming.
Elf came up small and Franc got minutes with Burks out.

Saw PHX the other day and 1st half, Book looked like Kobe.  Just getting where he wanted and killing it.  Book has scored over 30 last 4 games.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:21:34 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1244 1245 [1246] 1247 1248 ... 1847