Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 914212 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: MONDAY MONDAY
« Reply #19695 on: July 30, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »

Given how Rose and Aller and Perry proceeded through the draft, I'm wondering if they might not be laying in wait through free agency to take advantage of bargains in buyouts, salary dumps, sign and trades.  That salary cap money we gleaned from the Porzingis Trade is being held on to like the healing waters of Lourdes.

We are one of only a few teams with projected capspace with cap holds renounced if team salary was below the cap maximum. Assumes veteran club options declined and non-guaranteed players released.

1   New York Knicks   $49,845,942   
2   San Antonio Spurs   $48,023,002   
3   Dallas Mavericks   $34,330,552   
4   Oklahoma City       $30,049,470   
5   Memphis Grizzlies   $22,774,192   
6   Toronto Raptors      $22,144,599   
7   Miami Heat           $20,483,041   

With how we "moneyballed" the handling of the draft, getting players at lower positions to open up EVEN MORE capspace  I think the Knicks will continue their pennywise ways and use the cap space not necessarily to sign one big fish, but to facilitate trades for first round picks and take on salary for guys they'll cut.  This team has enough moolah to do both really.  I think they've identified that if you want to get a Star player you have to have the ammo to trade for one. 

Furthermore for the first time in ages the Knicks do not owe another team any draft picks.  We may not have an OKC-sized treasure chest when it comes to picks but we will take a backseat to no other franchise on that front, while maintaining the NEW YORK marquee to attract free agents.   So whether it is free agency, trade bait, or using picks on players the Knicks are in good shape on all three roster building front.

This is a new day my friends.  A new dawn. 

KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
DeRozan?
« Reply #19696 on: July 30, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »

Free Agency. 

I am not convinced that we are going to go ALL IN on Shiny Objects in free agency. 

We still have to reup Derrick, Julius and Mitchell. 

ME?  I would target LONZO, but I am not convinced there is a consensus among Knicks coaches and brain trust. 

Fournier?  Okay, but at 18-20 million?  Is he our 3&D savior.  He can shoot for sure, but defend? 

Oubre?  No thanks.  I believe the Knicks go into free agency looking to be opportunistic rather than spending like a drunken sailor.  We should [MY TAKE], accrue trades by deploying our cap space, wait on buyouts and waiver wire bargains, and free agents overlooked in the initial feeding frenzy. 

Free Agency?  Let's start with DERRICK ROSE. 

Our draft picks all appear penciled in to replace Bullock, Burks and Noel. 

If this draft night did not reveal that Leon Rose is not your father's Oldsmobile, nothing will.  I do not expect fireworks, but a prudent opportunistic approach--THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED.  ME: I would be intrigued by DeMar DeRozan if the price is right.  IF. 

Cannot shoot the 3 worth a damn, but a crafty scoring machine in the midrange and off the dribble, and would be both a real option at the 2 AND the 3, but a great mentor for RJ in terms of his evolution, and clearing space for JR. 

I mean, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.  Will be 32 on August 2.

Terrible 3 point shooter. 

But last season, playing both shooting guard, small forward AND power forward, for 33.7 mpg, he went to the FT line 7.2 times a game, converting at a .880% clip, which would be great for helping THIBS to control tempo. 

DeMar averaged 21.6 ppg, 4.2 boards, and [AND] 6.9 assists. 

The implications for freeing up Julius and RJ and Mitchell and Derrick are immense. 

DeMar will be 32 on August 7. 

He has been remarkably durable throughout his career.  He is a great TEAM player, in the old school style.  His omnipresent threat in the midrange and going to the rack, would free up three point shooters, and give Julius way more room to go against single coverage or kick out. 

If I [ME] was looking at Evan Fournier for 18 million a year, or Reggie and Alec for a combined 20 million, or a crafty veteran, a proven winner such as DeMar for 2 x 20 [doubt he will be giving that pussy away], it would be a gimme for the Chipster, as opposed to giving Colin Sexton $160 million. 

https://fadeawayworld.net/.image/t_share/MTgwMzI0NjA5OTQ0OTIxMjM4/demar-derozan.jpg

The Lakers' Trade for WESTBROOK removed them as a target for DeMar, an LA native. 

The Clippers?  No cap space.

DeMar earned 27 million in the last year of his contract.

We shall see.

PS: Not suggesting that we should target them, but the Kings thought they were sending Buddy Hield to the Lakers, and so they drafted Davion Mitchell.  OOOOPS.  Now they have a very crowded back court with Fox, Haliburton and Mitchell.  They are also looking to unload Marvin Bagley, who has a million dollars worth of talent and physical gifts, but a ten cent head, and is injury prone to boot.  Kings picked him ahead of Doncic.  Again, just saying.  THIBS would slit his wrists, pausing only to slit Marvin's. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:31:46 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
This Just In
« Reply #19697 on: July 30, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »

Hawks just copped Tristan Thompson from he Celtics for Kris Dunn, Bruno Hernando and a 2023 #2 pick. 

Great pickup for the Hawks. 

Fuck me. 

chipstern

• View Profile
McBride & Prejudice [From NY Daily News]
« Reply #19698 on: July 30, 2021, 06:56:59 PM »

Last season the Knicks were Tom Thibodeau’s creation on defense with a group of committed overachievers. Not a single All-Defense selection among them, but together they accumulated a top-4 rating in defensive efficiency.

Still, one statistic contradicted their efforts. The Knicks, despite holding opponents to a league-low 104.7 points per game, were tied for 30th in charges taken. Dead last. Just 16 combined in 72 games.

And it just so happens they drafted a point guard eager to improve that number, ala Kyle Lowry.

“I know (Lowry) takes charges. I’m pretty sure he’s led the league in charges before and I’m a guy that’s willing to do anything to win,” Miles McBride said on Friday, the day after he was drafted by the Knicks. “And I think winning plays is taking charges so that’s something I can definitely get behind.”

To be clear, McBride isn’t Lowry. It would be silly and unfair to project a six-time All-Star career onto a second-round pick. This is more about style and stature.

But McBride also isn’t a typical second rounder. The 20-year-old fell further than most anticipated in the draft – dropping to the Knicks at 36th – and carries a confidence befitting a top prospect. There’s potential for immediate impact, depending on how the Knicks’ roster shakes out after free agency.

McBride, who 15.9 points and two steals last season as a sophomore at West Virginia, knows how to win Thibodeau’s heart.

“Definitely think my defense is going to get me on the floor the fastest,” McBride said. “Obviously there are facets of my offensive game that can continue to improve. I think my offensive game is one of the best in the draft and as a rookie but obviously it’s a whole other level coming into the NBA. So I think defense and playing with instincts is going to help me the most.”

If Immanuel Quickly and Luca Vildoza are destined for off-guard as most predict, the Knicks currently have zero point guards under contract for next season. That’ll undoubtedly change in the coming weeks, with New York owning the most cap space in the NBA and Collin Sexton on the trade market.

But there’s zero chance the Knicks re-sign last season’s starter, Elfrid Payton, whose playoff role devolved into bench warmer after his confidence deteriorated. Trae Young detonated Thibodeau’s vaunted defense in the first round and left the Knicks with more questions about their point guard problem.

McBride wants to be an answer.

“Trae is a three-level scorer. He can shoot deep range balls and coming off the pick and roll he’s hard to stay attached,” McBride said. “So just being able to put my skills up against his, I’m looking forward to that challenge.”

The first step for McBride is Summer League next month in Vegas, where he’ll join a roster with Quickley, Vildoza, Obi Toppin, Quentin Grimes and Jericho Sims, among other youngsters. Then McBride will have to earn a spot in training camp. It’s a road less traveled for second-round picks, but McBride seems intent on establishing himself as the steal of the draft.

Immediately after the Knicks’ selection, he told the crowd at his draft party that he’d earn revenge on the teams that passed him over.

“I feel like I have a winning DNA. Throughout high school and college I’ve just always won,” McBride said. “That’s the main thing I want to bring to the Knicks is that winning DNA. They made the playoffs this year and just continue to drive upwards. During all that winning, a lot of teams are going to be regretting not picking me.”

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #19699 on: July 30, 2021, 07:01:00 PM »

Sorry.  I am just not believing Rose holds up an entire season plus playoffs

If he wants to run a team he can go elsewhere
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19700 on: July 30, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »

Anyway - happy to see McBride aboard - and I think passing on Jackson shows we want more seasoned stock (read:. plan is to fully compete immediately, not wait for a simmering sort)
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19701 on: July 30, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »

Good you have no say in the matter, moron.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: This Just In
« Reply #19702 on: July 30, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »

Hawks just copped Tristan Thompson from he Celtics for Kris Dunn, Bruno Hernando and a 2023 #2 pick. 

Fuck me.

Hawks just moved Thompson to Sacramento for Delon Wright. Guess Atlanta only trusts Cooper so far and no further.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: This Just In
« Reply #19703 on: July 30, 2021, 08:33:34 PM »

Fuck me.

Hawks just moved Thompson to Sacramento for Delon Wright. Guess Atlanta only trusts Cooper so far and no further.

Interesting. 

Big combo guard who can hit threes and drain his FTs at a high clip. 

More back court depth behind Trae and Bogdonavich and Huerter, while bringing along Cooper and hopefully Sweet Lou at a reasonable price.  Nice back court. 

Thanks for the heads up Facil. 

PS: Does DeRozan stimulate your adrenal gland?  Or is that a private fantasy of mine?

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #19704 on: July 30, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »

Good you have no say in the matter, moron.

The hits keep coming. 

chipstern

• View Profile
McBride
« Reply #19705 on: July 30, 2021, 08:51:41 PM »

Potential. 

Comparisons with our own Charlie Ward abound. 

Similar size at roughly 6'1"/6'2" and 200 pounds, with the requisite toughness that comes from being football players. 

At the risk of repeating myself, while undersized in pairing up with big NBA guards, McBride is a tenacious
ball hawk with a 6'9" wingspan, and enormous hands, on the order [proportionally] of a Giannis, a Connie Hawkins.  Forces on the order of 2 steals a game. 

Coming out of college, a better offensive repertoire than Ward had coming out of college, though Charlie dramatically increased his FT% and 3-pt shooting over the course of his career. 

McBride ["Deuce"] is apparently a capable 40% shooter from trey, as well as an efficient, fluid scorer
off the dribble and pull up.  He will be challenged to go to the rack at the next level, but hits his FTs at a plus-80% clip. 

A snarky competitor. 

Welcome to NY, Deuce. 

chipstern

• View Profile
The Incidence Of Coincidence
« Reply #19706 on: July 30, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »

Having a LOTTERY PICK is not a guarantee of success.

What was the Knicks batting average on LOTTERY PICKS?

2002: Nene Hillario [traded with Marcus Camby for Antonio McDyess]
2003: Michael Sweetney
2005: Channing Frye
2008: Danilo Gallinari
2009: Jordan Hill
2015: Kristaps Porzingis
2017: Frank Ntilikina
2018: Kevin Knox
2019: RJ Barrett
2020: Obi Toppin

And of course, if one were to listen to the groundlings, or Stephen A. Smith, we should trade them all for Dame Lillard, never you mind that HE AIN'T AVAILABLE. 

But then Knicks management and Knicks fans have traditionally been just find with eating their young. 

Whereas under the aegis of SCOTT PERRY [under the regimes of both Steve Mills and Leon Rose], the #25 and #36 picks have been propitious. 

#25: Immanuel Quickley, Quentin Grimes
#36: Mitchell Robinson, Miles McBride

Be interesting to see how the Knicks approach free agency and the deployment of all that Porzingis Trade Cap Space [KP, DeAndre Jordan, Courtney Lee, Wesley Matthews, Timmy Hardaway, Trey Burke] we've been sitting on or renting out in short terms auditions. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:10:29 PM by chipstern »

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Frankie taking it to Iran!
« Reply #19707 on: July 30, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »

https://stream.nbcolympics.com/basketball-mens-prelim-game-13-iran-france

1. nice assist
2. silly foul
3. just got schooled at the first quarter buzzer by S. NiKKHAH!
4. BANG! The sweet three!
5. Sweet jumper nullified by foul before the shot.
6. Clangs a three.
7. Helps force a turnover
8. Another assist!
9. Bad pass, Frankie!
Halftime 46-27 France.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:43:20 PM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #19708 on: July 31, 2021, 03:44:22 AM »

NBADraftNet says Grimes is unable to create his own shot.   A good spot up shooter.  Which means getting a PG who can deliver him the ball is important (and key for the whole offense).

2003: Michael Sweetney
2005: Channing Frye
2008: Danilo Gallinari
2009: Jordan Hill
2015: Kristaps Porzingis
2017: Frank Ntilikina
2018: Kevin Knox
2019: RJ Barrett
2020: Obi Toppin[/color]

So:
4 / 8 hits
4 / 8 whiffs
1 misguided trade out (Dyess for Nene)
1 incomplete (Obi)

Whiffs:
Sweetney -- somewhat understandable as the talent had cratered, but guys like David West, Pietrus, Diaw were out there.  Sweetney just one of 6 1st rounders who played 4 years or less.

Jordan Hill -- DeRozan was the next pick.  JRue lower down.

Franc -- Donovan Mitch and Bam were on board

Knox -- Bridges x 2, Porter, Shai
*sigh* Knix went with risk when solid options abounded

The other 3 blown picks more understandable, as the talent had dropped off before we picked.

The Franc pick set us back too.
Strange that the Knix went B2B with young, high-risk picks.
Just nail one of those two drafts and we have another legit starter.
Even simply a 3&D Bridges locking down the SF slot, or better (Shai, Mitchell Porter, Bam).
Instead of iffy role players going into their 2nd contracts.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #19709 on: July 31, 2021, 03:51:58 AM »

The ObiT pick is still an awkward fit.
I guess we were uncertain about Randle.
But PF, especially backup PF, is a fairly easy slot to fill.

Hell, OKC just got a future 1st for doing the favor of taking on Favors (2/$20M) salary, to help Utah improve their cap.  OKC sent out only a late 2027 2nd rounder (the lowest of their 4 2nd rounders).
The kind of move Knix should be looking for.
Some teams will need to squeeze under the cap, or look to reduce their lux tax.  Makes it less painful for UtaH to resign Conley.
Favors a solid enough backup PF/C who can defend/rebound.

Assuming NYK extends Julius, ObiT should have more value on a developing team where he can get more minutes and develop/start, rather than as a 12-15 minute backup PF on the Knix, where Thibs prefers to run his starters long minutes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:54:18 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 1848