Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907878 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: If Fitzdel doesnt start Trier soon
« Reply #2010 on: November 15, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

He should be fined, fired, and fillet.

Stretched, perhaps?

Coach keeps talking about how he has Burke, Frank, and Mudiay at that spot.  The best player for the spot is someone he never talks about.

Trier plays D and scores.  He doesn't facilitate as well as the others.  So what.  We suck at that anyway.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #2011 on: November 15, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »

Good piece by Berman, taking 2 of the rooks to task, excepting that OKC did not draft Diallo

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »

Surrendering a #1 to dump Noah ... (to save 6 mil two summers in a row)  would be ALMOST as bad as Surrendering a #1 to acquire Andrea Barniarney.

You only surrender the #1 after Durant or whomever agrees to sign. Otherwise, you just buy him out.

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 15, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »

And, no, Chip, you don't get it.

The team that acquires Noah will waive him. Presumably nobody is trading for him because they think he's an NBA player today. They just don't have any better way to spend their money because the likes of Durant aren't even meeting with them. Like Atlanta with Carmelo this summer, or what Sacramento aims to be this February.

The Knicks should aim higher because they're going to get meetings next summer.

And it would have made more sense to fire the Noah bullet next summer.

What did we gain by doing it now? Primarily roster spots for Luke Kornet and Ron Baker. Definitely not worth the cap space we will have surrendered if we don't sign anyone this summer, the very cap space which you rightly say can get us draft picks if we strike out. I want that cap space. I just don't see the need to cannibalise future cap space for 2019 summer if we aren't sure we are going to get a free agent.

Again - send Noah home, waive Kornet and Baker (we'll live...neither is going to be irreplaceable), see if any big guns are going to sign this summer, if so stretch or trade Noah as necessary to create the cap space, otherwise keep proceeding with the rebuild without sacrificing our cap flexibility in 2020.

So, no, you don't get it because you keep talking about teams not signing Noah like that has any relevance. Using coloured fonts doesn't make your argument more sound.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »

And, no, Chip, you don't get it.

The team that acquires Noah will waive him. Presumably nobody is trading for him because they think he's an NBA player today. They just don't have any better way to spend their money because the likes of Durant aren't even meeting with them. Like Atlanta with Carmelo this summer, or what Sacramento aims to be this February.

The Knicks should aim higher because they're going to get meetings next summer.

And it would have made more sense to fire the Noah bullet next summer.

What did we gain by doing it now? Primarily roster spots for Luke Kornet and Ron Baker. Definitely not worth the cap space we will have surrendered if we don't sign anyone this summer, the very cap space which you rightly say can get us draft picks if we strike out. I want that cap space. I just don't see the need to cannibalise future cap space for 2019 summer if we aren't sure we are going to get a free agent.

Again - send Noah home, waive Kornet and Baker (we'll live...neither is going to be irreplaceable), see if any big guns are going to sign this summer, if so stretch or trade Noah as necessary to create the cap space, otherwise keep proceeding with the rebuild without sacrificing our cap flexibility in 2020.

So, no, you don't get it because you keep talking about teams not signing Noah like that has any relevance. Using coloured fonts doesn't make your argument more sound.

No

SALE

Nagel

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 15, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »

Anthony lasted 10 games.

as Tmac said.

"retire"

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 16, 2018, 03:38:21 AM »

There are plenty of teams with weak benches and aspirations.
Pels, Wiz, Pistons come to mind.

Plenty of guys have been useful bench scorers while not defending anyone.  Craw and Lou W come to mind.

Now Melo would have to change his mindset a little.  Be willing to come off the bench and be a 2nd unit scorer.  Be a mentor.  Show some vet leadership.  Think about how an old Pierce righted WAS that one year.  Vince Carter is still out there at 40+.  Not that Melo has ever displayed leadership, but he has been through a lot and can tell Olympic stories.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 16, 2018, 03:44:19 AM »

If you were Melo's closest advisor, which available team would you counsel him to choose?

I'd say Philly.

And to avoid Washington at all costs.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 16, 2018, 04:09:04 AM »

PHI should want to add more of a deadeye 3-point shooter.
Though like last year they can try to add two shooters. 
Melo can take on the ilyasova role (he also boarded well for them as a backup).

Melo has to be careful, because if this next audition bombs, no teams might want to be bothered with him anymore.  At the vet min, Melo gets something like $2.1M and the league picks up around $1.5M of that.  So the money gamble is small.  But who needs the headache.

PHI he could be the most inconspicuous.  But would be asked to only spot up for 3's.  Wouldn't get to post or midrange much as they already have enough/too much of that.  So hoopswise I don't see it as a good fit.

NOP might be the best fit, in terms of giving Melo a good sized bench role, and needing some vet vibes floating around.
DET somewhat similar.

WAS would put him back near his hometown and they could use a bench vet and some change.  Give him the chance for the most impact while the blame would go to others if the team continues to rot.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:14:32 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Chop Chop
« Reply #2019 on: November 16, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »

The one 19th-century typeface with an unmistakably Asian name and a suggestive appearance is Chinese (Cleveland Type Foundry, 1883). Known since the mid-’50s as Mandarin, the face is characterized by curved and pointed wedge strokes that superficially resemble two of the eight basic strokes of Chinese calligraphy: the downward left stroke and the upward right stroke. Unfortunately, the strokes, forced onto the armature of Roman letters, are assembled in a manner that ignores a calligraphic emphasis on structural balance and harmony.

Mandarin is the granddaddy of what have come to be known as “chop suey” types. It’s a fitting name—just as chop suey is an American invention, so, too, are the letters of Mandarin and its many offspring. Neither the food nor the fonts bear any real relation to true Chinese cuisine or calligraphy. But this has not prevented the proliferation of chop suey lettering and its close identification with Chinese culture outside of China. 

By the end of World War I, chop suey lettering had become synonymous with San Francisco’s Chinatown. This could have been a way to distinguish the rebuilding of Chinatown as a tourist destination following the 1906 earthquake. The new Chinatown was flamboyantly, theatrically “Chinese,” complete with pagoda roofs and other exaggerated and stylized details.

By the ’30s, chop suey letters were being used to promote Chinese restaurants across the country. Chop suey, the dish, invented 40 years earlier, had become a culinary craze. Restaurants responded by including the dish in their name and emphasizing it in their signs and advertising.  Ironically, it was Chinese-American restaurateurs who
were choosing the chop suey lettering (and serving the dish), conferring a bit of authenticity on two American inventions.

Ethnic type — not just chop suey but all of the varieties — survives for the simple reason that stereotypes, though crude, serve a commercial purpose. They are shortcuts, visual mnemonic devices. There is no room for cultural nuance or academic accuracy on a shop’s facade. Restaurant owners want passersby (often in cars rather than on foot) to know immediately that they serve Chinese (or Greek, or Jewish) food, and a lettering style that achieves this is welcome.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 16, 2018, 08:28:11 AM »

If you were Melo's closest advisor, which available team would you counsel him to choose?

I'd say Philly.

Not necessarily a team in the thick of the fight.....

Charlotte/Orlando/Miami would be perfect.  Look to get your game back with less pressure.  Vets around to hang with.

Amongst playoff teams, POPOVICH could probably get the most from Melo and would treat him fairly.  And last I checked, SA could use a boost.

If he got his shot back, even in 18-22 miniutes per night - that would be a nice story and good way to finish up - IN the playoffs and with a role.  HOU was just too much for him.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

I'd say Philly.

The LA Fakerz

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 16, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

Philly has playing time open at the 4. I think the mid-range issue you brought up, BoD, matters but that's going to be an issue most places. Philly is also face-saving - they're contenders for a deep playoff run, which Melo absolutely will be considering.

Charlotte is a good suggestion by Kiid. But they're a borderline playoff team.

I can't see Orlando being considered. Miami is risky - they're deep and in dire need of a 2 for 1 trade to clear up playing time, and adding Melo would exacerbate that problem (already, they have Whiteside, Bam, Olynyk, and James Johnson at the two power spots plus you have to have some small lineups with Winslow at the 4). I could see Melo going to Miami and then ending up with the same problem he had in Houston: coach says we're playing better when we play you less, so prepare for some DNP-CDs. That said, Miami could use Melo's scoring off the bench.

I think the Lakers would be silly to give Kuzma's minutes and role to Melo. But it might happen. Is it clear who is the better player between the two right now?

New Orleans could definitely use Melo, their bench needs boosting specifically in terms of scoring. But they've got a very functional three man big rotation going so bringing in Melo means Gentry is willing to play Miro and/or Melo at the 3. Might work against bench units. But Melo is probably never closing games when that team is healthy.

Detroit would have a more clear role for him. Less pressure, likely playoff team. Not much glam, but a solid choice.

San Antonio is interesting, but can you see the Spurs adding yet another mid-range scorer to go with Gay/Demar/LMA? I think Melo might get squeezed there. But I agree with Kiid that Pop could get a lot out of Melo.

Still Washington is the worst place for him. That team could end up viewed as one of the era's most crisis-ridden, Melo should want no part of that. Maybe he goes and the team stabilises, but I just don't trust it.

Maybe I'd re-rank it as follows, counting only the teams mentioned:

1. NOLA
2. Philly
3. Detroit
4. Charlotte
5. San Antonio
6. Miami
7. Washington
8. Orlando

chipstern

• View Profile
Melo
« Reply #2023 on: November 16, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »

Philly

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »

Melo wouldn't supplant Kuzma.  He'd go there because of LeBron and La La.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1847