Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1425 1426 [1427] 1428 1429 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 914499 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #21390 on: November 28, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »

It may be time to waive Seldon and get Sims locked in long term.

Have liked Selden from the summer

Picture if Fournier and Quickley were bot injured....

Might come in handy

14-4-3 and 1 steal per 36 over career  42/34/72 shooter
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
Food For Thought
« Reply #21391 on: November 28, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »

If that game don't make you want to shout...you lost your shouter. Grimes-to-Obi oop highlight of the year to date. Good stuff, forces Thibs to confront all the things he clearly doesn't want to do...but has to

Good stuff, Dawg.

Grimes is a feral dawg on D, and once he gets into his offensive comfort zone, could be the second coming of John Starks.  The way he got after the Hawks was really something, and translated to our entire team's defense. 

Funny we haven't gotten one of BoD's in-depth breakdowns of Burks, explaining how skanky his play is. 

The Burks/Quickley dynamic was very interesting.  In terms of getting us into an offensive flow, and not giving up too much on D. 

Alan Hahn is petitioning for IQ to get his graduation papers as our starting PG. 

Don't really see that happenning quite yet, but he has earned his team's trust.  And and while his shooting was not in the Twilight Zone, he hit some key shots, he had 7 assists, some quite lovely, and his defensive tenacity was stellar. 

IQ, Grimes, Sims, RJ, Randle, Obi and Burks all got after it on D.  Fournier still a work in progress [was a -10] but he clearly has the stones to withstand the glaring search light of the NY fans and media, and he was effective both on long range shots and creating. 

The key difference I noted in the absence of Kemba, was a lot less ISO ball, with cats stadng around in their spots, and more offensive movement. 

And better D.  The energy of our hybrid second unit, with Puppies on Parade, was really worthy of a SHOUT, as the usually cynical Dawg has duly noted.  It was contagious. 

Which brings us to the current climate of dumping on Julius, including last night, where while his individual game offensively was a struggle, he faciliated a lot more easy baskets for his team mates than his 4 assists would suggest, contributing to better motion and ball movement, a force on the boards, and really solid, tenacious...SMART defense.  On O, I really liked that hard nosed drive to the hoop in the final seconds of the third. 

In the feeding frenzy to demonize JR, has anyone notices how consciously he has been trying to evolve his game, individually, and how it translates to making him less ball dominant, less obsessed with Thibs take the three mindset, and making his mates better.  We have taken notice of a solid offensive performance from Fournier and an inspired one by Burks, but while RJ was shajy from the FT line last night, he was a solid 6-11 from the field, with 7 boards and a team leading +18. 

In short, Julius does NOT NEED to tally 35-10 to impact the team.  He is CLEARLY struggling to find his stroke and rhythm offensively, but I watched the game twice last night, and he was manning up. 

I don't agree with Facil's suggestion to cut Selden.  Pointless.  Clearly he does a lot in practice that we do not see. 

But the conundrum of Kemba and Rose is more challenging...

Thibs is not going to want to lose them...and one must wonder how much of the starting unit's static offense, and lack of motion and ball movement is on Kemba.  Let alone our defensive vulnerability with Kemba.  Or how much is on Thibs. 

Again, we have much work to do, and it is challenging to find coherence and rhythm...and MINUTES for everyone. 

But talk about a good problem to have. 

Our PUPPIES were inspiring and made the most of their minutes. 

Sims clearly earned a significant piece of Thibs' trust with a +14 in 21 minutes, including six boards a steal and two blocks.  And as someone pointed out, energy, Energy, ENERGY, as he seemed involved in every scrum, just battling.  Clearly he can push Mitchell, Nerlens and Taj. 

Obi 13-2-2 [+7, hit all of his free throws]

IQ a +9 with 7 dimes and 3 boards, and he just eviscerated Sweet Lou and Trae Bien in the 4th quarter with RELENTLESS D. 

And Grimes was scary good on D, an impactful +8 in 15 minutes. 

Okay, the moment has passed.  Enjoy it. 

Be interesting to see how we respond to a Barclays Center crowd, and an angry Nyets team coming off of a tough loss to Phoenix. 

Be more interesting to see how Thibs deploys his new options or if he stubbornly, reflexively just goes back to his veteran heavy mix and dependence on JR as progenitor of the offense. 

THIBS SAID HE WANTED ENERGY AND INTENSITY. 

Well, be careful what you wish for.  Jericho, Obi, IQ and Grimes gave it to him in triplicate, and Burks gave us food for thought vis a vis our starting five, and how our on court deployment might change vis a vis the intensity Thibs claims to long for. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 03:08:55 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Obi Kanoobee
« Reply #21392 on: November 28, 2021, 03:17:40 PM »

A learning curve. 

Against Phoenix, there was a play where someone hit Obi under the hoop with a court-length pass, and Obi reflexively tried to complete the play in one fell swoop, defaulting to his hops and incredible athleticism, and came away with nothing. 

I can recall, saying to no one in particular [I was alone], that he should have come down, planted himself under the hoop, made some jukes, and tried for a less sexy layup and a possible +1.

Well, last night he did precisely that, converted the layup and the FT on the +1. 

I was very heartened to see that on some level, there was a positive takeaway from a missed opportunity, and that Obi made the most of such an opportunity when it next presented itself in the very next game. 

We need more of that.  MORE EASY BASKETS, more opportunities off of motion and movement. 

PS: Julius with a lovely pocket pass out of a double team to a cutting Sims in the paint for an emphatic flush.

PPS: Let's see how we respond to the Nyets, and buiuld off of positives in this win over the dreaded Hawks.  PARTICULARY the D in the final quarter to shut down Trae. 

chipstern

• View Profile
11-9
« Reply #21393 on: November 28, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »

Roughly one quarter of the season in our rear view mirror, and the Knicks are the 7th seed in a tough Eastern Conference. 

Nets [14-6]
Heat [13-7]
Wizards [13-7]
Bulls [13-8]
Bucks [12-8]
Hornets [13-9]
Knicks [11-9]
Hawks [11-10]
Cavs [10-10]
Celtics [10-10]
Sixers [10-10]

Where we last year after 20 games?  Anyone? 

We were 9-11. 

And 20-21 after 40 games. 

chipstern

• View Profile
An Interesting Notion
« Reply #21394 on: November 28, 2021, 04:04:56 PM »

Here's a thought. 

What about putting RJ on the second unit where there currently is no primary scorer and he won't need to defer to Randle, Fournier and Walker.

Walker
Fournier
Burks
Randle
Nerlens/Mitchell

Rose/IQ
IQ/Grimes
RJ/Grimes
Obi/Knox
Sims/Mitchell/Nerlens

Perhaps he would be more comfortable playing with the 2nd unit because of their faster pace

With Burks gets inserted as a starter, perhaps we'd get more speed and floor spacing, with a less ISO-heavy set for Randle, Fournier and Walker.  A dependable shooter capable of giving us another distributor, so that Walker could play more off the ball.

We have to transcend the whole notion of ISO sets and ball dominant sets on offense.  Walker and Randle are certainly capable of sharing, and with another midrange long distance option such as Burks in the starting five, well....

Look at all of the easy baskets Devin Booker gets in the Suns offense.  I recognize the reality of the three ball, but surely we learned something about how effective an offense can be with a classic midrange threat such as a DeRozan or a Booker, and how that threat can create open threes in rhythm.  God knows I would like to see Kemba less married to that long trey, and getting more looks in the near field, in motion, in rhythm. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:09:58 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21395 on: November 28, 2021, 04:32:38 PM »

Meanwhile, Samanic stats over 4 games

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629677/

57/39/92

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21396 on: November 28, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »

Kemba shooting .413 from deep

I think MORE SHOTS in general would be the key

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21397 on: November 28, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »

Not until he can defend as well as somebody else in the rotation. I am not sure he should keep the shots he is getting until he can defend at least as well as somebody else on the roster.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #21398 on: November 28, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »

Meanwhile, Samanic stats over 4 games

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629677/

57/39/92

There is the bones of a player there. He does need to work on flipping his assist to turnover ratio.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
is Kemba the problem?
« Reply #21399 on: November 28, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »

is Kemba the problem?  What if there was no Kemba on this team?

Julius and Evan already seem to have chemistry together whereas we have seen mere strands of cohesion between Julius and Kemba.

What if we kept Rose as the backup,  and started either Burks or IQ, opening up a rotation spot for our #1 pick Grimes to see consistent playing time?

I do NOT want to pull the plug on Kemba.  BUT i do think giving him more games off for rest "wink wink" and looking at more of the above alignment couldn't hurt.

Then if Kemba really is seen as a bad fit or whatever, see what you can get for him in trade, or keep him as an injury replacement guy when you want to give DRose some time to rest.

KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21400 on: November 28, 2021, 06:37:47 PM »

Pretty well set that Kemba gets to rest if we play back to back

Excepting if he talks himself into that night's lineup.

No.  It's not wise to continue talk of not having Walker.  Walker/Rose was the alternative to adding a lead guard.  And we are 11 and 9 with Walker shooting well and not complaining about minutes

Ideally we would have added Paul, Ball or other.  But we did fine given that NO.  Added offense that fits our culture was the main offseason thrust.

Good also to hear some leadership from Walker after the Suns drubbing.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #21401 on: November 28, 2021, 07:39:23 PM »

We are better off looking at this small number two year deal the same way Bullock was handled on his two year deal with us, the first year basically written off in terms of floor time in favor of a rehab retooling stint followed by potentially a nice rebound in year two.

He needs something to make up for his loss of quickness and bounce beyond what he is showing. He needs to get stronger or sharper or both, basically completing the transition D Rose has made over three years and three teams of fairly crap ball before hitting his new stride with us in a more constrained but no less vital role.

As is, Kemba helping or closing out can be ignored. Anyone 6 foot 4 and up can bully him and carry him to the paint forcing help. That is exhausting to play with.

Three 6 foot 6 guys on the perimeter, even though none are great defenders or real PGs, look better for us than two of those wing sized guys playing with Kemba.

Rose and Quickley are better defenders who play with better pace.

What we ask our PGs to do is hard. I am all good with giving Kemba time to figure it out based on where his body is now vs. the league. Based on our level of investment, his upside, and our other options, I do not have much patience for letting him figure it out on the floor in the games that count.

If we are going to keep him rolling, he would be better in a role similar to what George Hill is playing for the Bucks this season rather than starting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:50:23 PM by facilitatorn »

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #21402 on: November 28, 2021, 08:54:45 PM »

We are better off looking at this small number two year deal the same way Bullock was handled on his two year deal with us, the first year basically written off in terms of floor time in favor of a rehab retooling stint followed by potentially a nice rebound in year two.

He needs something to make up for his loss of quickness and bounce beyond what he is showing. He needs to get stronger or sharper or both, basically completing the transition D Rose has made over three years and three teams of fairly crap ball before hitting his new stride with us in a more constrained but no less vital role.

As is, Kemba helping or closing out can be ignored. Anyone 6 foot 4 and up can bully him and carry him to the paint forcing help. That is exhausting to play with.

Three 6 foot 6 guys on the perimeter, even though none are great defenders or real PGs, look better for us than two of those wing sized guys playing with Kemba.

Rose and Quickley are better defenders who play with better pace.

What we ask our PGs to do is hard. I am all good with giving Kemba time to figure it out based on where his body is now vs. the league. Based on our level of investment, his upside, and our other options, I do not have much patience for letting him figure it out on the floor in the games that count.

If we are going to keep him rolling, he would be better in a role similar to what George Hill is playing for the Bucks this season rather than starting.

George Hill is averaging 7.4/3.6/2.6, .358 from trey with a .933,  FT% in 27 minutes a night. 

Kemba Walker is averaging 11.7/2.6/3.7, .413% from trey with .800 FT in 24.5 minutes per night. 

I don't think Thibs is ready to ditch Kemba, though there might be an Elfrid-like existence in his future. 

Then Again? 

What about...?

Walker-Fournier-Burks-Randle-Noel/Robinson

Rose-Quickley-RJ-Obi-Sims/Gibson

Somehow work Grimes into both rotations. 

How the Knicks start?

How they close is the question...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 09:02:46 PM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #21403 on: November 28, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »

Thumbs up, Chip

Is Barrett the type of "glue" guy that we'd sorely miss if we tried to use him to upgrade?  I am not sure.  Thus at this juncture I am OK having him on the block.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21404 on: November 28, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »

Thumbs up, Chip

Is Barrett the type of "glue" guy that we'd sorely miss if we tried to use him to upgrade?  I am not sure.  Thus at this juncture I am OK having him on the block.

Hey Chip, Chamaco approves of you.

Ain't you happy?

HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:22:42 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero
Pages: 1 ... 1425 1426 [1427] 1428 1429 ... 1848