Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1493 1494 [1495] 1496 1497 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907019 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
A Few Points
« Reply #22410 on: January 21, 2022, 03:30:22 PM »

We appear to be in a chicken or the egg conundrum. 

For instance, Elephant's observation about Obi, and the sense that Thibs is mis-using him or refusing to use him. 

Okay. 

Parking Obi out by the three-point line seems like a fool's errand. 

He has proven to be effective on back cuts along the baseline, pick and rolls.  Which were effective when Rose had his hand on the tiller. 

Thibs useage of Obi baffles me.  The other night when both Taj and Mitchell fouled out, and, of course, Nerlens was a DNP. 

Going with four wings and Julius, seemed a slap in the face.  Not to mention a bizarre strategy, but then Thibs faith or misplaced faith in some players and some schemes is...concerning. 

Such as IQ.  I love the kid, but I have often observed at games end, whence a blow out one way or another, he tends to be a ball hog, looking for his shot, when Grimes and McBride would certainly benefit from some touches.  I find that disturbing. 

And last night, when we appeared to me making, if not a run, establishing some sort of rhythm, and IQ came up court and pulled up from thirty feet, without even waiting for his team mates to get in position for a rebound or a pass, and launched that rushed off balance heat check three, I was just enraged.  It was not only a tone deaf, stupid play, it was A VERY SELFISH PLAY, a wasted possession, which led to a long rebound and a basket on the other end.  I like IQ, but the immature thought process on that play was deeply troubling. 

Back to Obi for a second.  The beatification of Toppin, while understandable--and I share the Garden's love for Obi--is dubious. 

YES, he should get more minutes, with and without Julius.   

But are we going to see a significant uptick in his game with no tenable PGs, and with the ISO heavy offense we are running. 

I mean, OBI HAS NO FUCKING SHOT, and has not shown a predilection for creating his own offense.  Where is his 12-15 footer, his stop and pop off the dribble.  And his three?  Come on. 

We all love his hops and energy and boundless enthusiasm, but is it that his game is limited or that the manner in which Thibs deploys him, LIMITING???

THIBS APPEARS TO BE DELIVERING MIXED MESSAGES TO ALL HIS PLAYERS. 

And the players are playing TIGHT.  Thibs is not doing Julius any favors by tasking him to be both unselfish on one hand, and dominating on the other, as if he could just turn it on and off.  CLEARLY JULIUS IS PSYCHOLOGICALLY VERY FRAGILE AT THIS POINT, and doesn't know whether to shit or go blind.

Early in the game, while Julius had two TOs, he also had five assists, including some beauties. 

But how many shots did he turn down in order to make a kick out to a three point shooter.  And he's not alone.  That appears to be a STRATEGY, and I mean, what the fuck?  There are times to be unselfish, and there are times to take what the defense gives you. 

Again, the fool's gold of the three. 

An old school wing like DeMar DeRozan, while he has evolved his game to reflect the modern analytics, is money in the bank on those bread and butter 12-15 footers, with which our own Bernard King used to put his defenders in the blender. 

FUCK THE ANALYTICS.  Turning down a high percentage open look for a trey makes no sense to me.  One of the more encouraging signs in RJ's evolution of late has been his burgeoning mastery of the floater, and greater confidence in a 12-15 foot DeRozan stop and pop. 

EASY BASKETS?  Are a beautiful thing. 

JULIUS?  His struggles baffle me.  As is his wont, HE IS OVERTHINKING THINGS with this whole point forward concept Thibs encourages.  Not that he doesn't have a feel for it, but your can see him THINKING rather than REACTING, being TENTATIVE rather than being DECISIVE. 

Doesn't help that never mind his three point shooting, all of those pull ups in the paint abd baseline jumpers that were money in the bank last season, are not falling.  AND IT IS FUCKING WITH HIS MIND. 

The notion as advanced by some of our more sophisticated fans, that Julius got his money and is now fucking off, IS NUTS. 

But clearly, when you see him over dribble and pound the ball, either in search of someone to pass to, or to create his own shot, HE IS NOT ACTING BUT REACTING, and it doesn't help that he is being tasked with running an offense on a team with no tenable point guard.  It leads to turnovers and frustration. 

No, Carlos, I don't think Thibs should be fired.  Nor does the notion of Mike Miller suggest a tenable changing of the guard. 

BUT COACH TT HAS TO SHOULDER THE RESPONSIBILITY for the tentative mindset of his troops. 

Nor does it help to have sixth men offensive role players such as Burks and Quickey tasked with running an offense.  They are very adept at creating their own shot, but....well, nothing left to say. 

Finally, while Miles McBride has struggled with his shot all season, and is clearly still a tadpole, every time he is sent down to the G League to log some minutes, he responds like a champ. 

He had 16 assists the other night, overcoming an awful shooting first half, to supercharge his team to victory, and making the offense purr. 

And Thibs can't find minutes for him when Kemba and Alec and IQ are stinking up the joint.  Let the kid earn his spurs. 

FINALLY, losing both Noel AND Rose, has thrown our team into a tizzy, sundering the One-Two Punch of a stable second team to create energy and balance out the impact and signature of our first and second units.  Nor does the sheer inconsistency of Julius and Evan, who sometimes look like world beaters, and who oft times look frustrated and befuddled, help. 

Clippers on Sunday.  Hopefully Reddish can bring some energy.  Hopefully Noel can get back on the court. 

I do so hope Leon Rose does not pursue a panic move.  I don't see anything out there which is going to transform us, and the price for the likes of a Fox or a Brunson could prove prohibitive. 

Please, DEAR LORD, no Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury, Carmelo Anthony reaches.  Clearly, Leon wanted to maintain the chemistry of last year's team, but was hedging his bets with all of those 2-year/3rd year team option deals, though we went all in on Julius and Evan. 

Time to make it work, and go back to the drawing board to find some schemes that work.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:37:01 PM by chipstern »

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Not worried
« Reply #22411 on: January 21, 2022, 05:01:20 PM »

No, Carlos, I don't think Thibs should be fired.  Nor does the notion of Mike Miller suggest a tenable changing of the guard. 

Aint worried about your, Chip.

You already seeing ALMOST ALL THE REASONS why Thibs needs to go. He'll be good for a year or two elsewhere. Has run his course here. He no longer knows what to do, other than being stubborn, and the players can see it. They are not stupid.

YOU WILL COME AROUND.

MIKE MILLER HEAD COACH
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Duh
« Reply #22412 on: January 21, 2022, 05:03:01 PM »

And your solution is Mike Miller? 

DUH.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
YES!!!!!!!
« Reply #22413 on: January 21, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »

DUH.

He was good when he was given a chance, good for THIS TEAM, and he knows most of his players already, they seemed to have enjoyed playing for him. He will give them confidence, instead of making them play tentative and tight.

I think you'll come around to Miller, too.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: YES!!!!!!!
« Reply #22414 on: January 21, 2022, 05:53:04 PM »

DUH.

He was good when he was given a chance, good for THIS TEAM, and he knows most of his players already, they seemed to have enjoyed playing for him. He will give them confidence, instead of making them play tentative and tight.

Enjoy your absurd little joke. 

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
My duckling is always positive
« Reply #22415 on: January 21, 2022, 06:04:46 PM »

DUH.

Enjoy your absurd little joke.

Name is Millerito, and he knows how to make me feel confident.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:08:20 PM by carlos123 »

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Russell Westbrook
« Reply #22416 on: January 21, 2022, 10:16:10 PM »

Had a very good game today.
I'm sure his friend BoZ will be happy about it 😁

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #22417 on: January 22, 2022, 01:34:51 AM »

Jaxson Hayes is eating our lunch.

More like Jax took a bite of our snack.
Hayes had 3 dunks early, then didn't score again, while racking up 5 fouls.  Managed 2 boards.  Non-factor.

The notion as advanced by some of our more sophisticated fans, that Julius got his money and is now fucking off, IS NUTS. 

The notion is that Randle wanted to earn $100M and get tenured with the Knix.
So last year, Julius came in in peak physical condition, with his mind focused.  He played his ass off, was ultra-confident, and in the 2nd half of the season, it paid off.  I'd argue that putting a host of defenders around Randle was key, with his offensive brilliance just enough to carry the team along.  A Julius Randle led team with a defensive identity.  This year, the Knick starters have no identity and Randle is less dominant and less confident.

Every season is long and challenging, filled with minor aches and potential distractions (didn't JR have a new baby just after the start of the season?).  It's not easy to be locked in and ready (mentally and physically) for 82 games over 7+ months, plus put in the requisite off-season work as well when nobody is watching. 

Takes a big commitment and a good deal of talent to be an all-star.   Last year Randle was locked and loaded. I find it hard to believe that the contract year and a desire to stay in NY didn't play a major role in Julius putting it together last year.  While the urgency, focus, determination and confidence have waned this season.  The team we've surrounded Randle with also hasn't been terribly helpful, especially the no PG lineups. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:38:12 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22418 on: January 22, 2022, 01:45:49 AM »

Hawks on a 3 game winning streak.
Beat MIA as Capela returned.
Heat without Lowry and Herro; Hawks w/out Bogdan and Gallo.
I still think when Hawks have their team intact, they'll be dangerous and make a move into playoff position. Return of Hunter and Capela key.  Maybe good to have erratic malcontent Cam Red out of there as well(?)  Knox got 15 mins v. MIA.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22419 on: January 22, 2022, 08:39:50 AM »

Last nine Randle games (5 were wins)

In best to worst order by game score

Those last three are unheard of for JR, true.   But we did win one of the three.

I know we would all love for Julius to maintain his All Star form - and do it most every night.  But most nights he is fine (look up what game score is on basketball-reference if you need to and look at the game logs) - and his struggles are being overanalyzed.   Weight of the big contract and of carrying a team in a basketball nuts city getting to him a bit?  Sure.  Give it time.

Now - Leon - lets go get him some more help

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22420 on: January 22, 2022, 04:21:53 PM »

REDDISH reportedly ready to go tomorrow

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22421 on: January 22, 2022, 05:01:15 PM »

Randle Fournier and Noel for Fox and Barnes.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #22422 on: January 22, 2022, 07:39:31 PM »

For Reddish, Lakers offered tow number twos

Cleveland did research on Cam and it wasnt pretty

Hawks were looking at a Collins,  Reddick and a #1 for Simmons.  Then asked for more.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #22423 on: January 22, 2022, 08:28:11 PM »

I've always considered Grayson Allen the most obnoxious ball player I'd ever seen.

His "foul" last night on Caruso was just par for the (Grayson's) course.

Douchebag.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22424 on: January 23, 2022, 01:24:32 AM »

Wasn't Facil or somebody here a Biz Biyombo booster?
He's been killing it since the Suns picked him up 3 weeks ago.
BiBi is the back up C with Ayton out, an important role since you can't go with JaVale too long.   Biz Bomb averaging 9 & 6 in 19 mins ... on 69% FG.
Dropped a 21 / 13 / 5 assist 2 block gem v. IND.
Pacers playing with Holiday as the only starter; Lance 17 in 18 mins: Bitadze 16 & 11.
I keep saying that there is a C glut and backup C's can be had cheap.  Credit Biyombo for being ready.
[Edit: DAL just waived Cauley-Stein, preferring Marquese Chriss (still just 24)]

Tatum now 0-fer his last 20 3's.  And Celts absolutely can't win any close games.  I think they are 5-10 in close games after collapsing v POR, not scoring any points for 7 minutes until some FT's with 30 secs left, and a double digit lead blown.
Tatum still putting up big numbers but really struggling to be The Man, especially in crunch time.  Somewhere Paul Pierce is shaking his head.  Young guys struggle with consistency, and it's always hard to reach the next level.  Keep that (and Tatum's struggles) in mind while we watch RJB's development.

Getting gory for the Bulls.  Ball and Caruso out for 6-8 weeks.  Zach has been resting his knee.  Tough times.  Is Coby White ready?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:10:11 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1493 1494 [1495] 1496 1497 ... 1847