Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 907614 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #5850 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:26 AM »

Zach: 5 fouls & 2 apple turnovers in 8 mins!

My Leonard always looks decent to me.
Maybe just needs a little more focus or toughness.
His D seems somewhat suspect.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: May 17, 2019, 06:14:59 AM »

30th year missing Finals.

of the past 32, got it.

I guess you take note of different benchmarks than I do.

I would view it as they've made the play-offs 22  of the past 32.

and 11 of the past 12.

But i'm a glass half-full type guy.

But as you said,

GO CELTS.

They're probably the best franchise in the East. Toronto also appears to be a top-to-bottom great franchise too. Nothing to be defensive about.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: May 17, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »

30th year missing Finals.

of the past 32, got it.

I guess you take note of different benchmarks than I do.

I would view it as they've made the play-offs 22  of the past 32.

and 11 of the past 12.

But i'm a glass half-full type guy.

But as you said,

GO CELTS.

They're probably the best franchise in the East. Toronto also appears to be a top-to-bottom great franchise too. Nothing to be defensive about.

Not defensive at all. The Celts were disappointing this year and under performed expectations. And for several reasons. I didn't feel like getting in a peeing contest with kid, who enjoys taunting Celtic short-comings. So I addressed his comments with a a different approach. 

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: May 17, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »

looking kinda = 2 me, lol, lol...

And then came the last 5 mins . . .

yup...sigh

**** but you gotta like these cats, and so much more so than the despicable Houston backcourt. no whining about refs, no call for an NBA investigation, no audit...personally responsibility taken, let's see if they can up it a level back at home.

"I know it's a tough position for the referees to be in to make a call at that point in the game," said Lillard, who finished with 23 points but didn't score in the final 7 minutes, 42 seconds. "Tried to get a little bit of space the first time. He grabbed my arm, and I lost the ball a little bit. I regained it, and I was going to shoot it again. He got his hand on the ball.

"For me, as the offensive player, I felt like it was contact. There was a lot of contact. But obviously, the ref is not going to decide the game or jump in at that point. You know, so ... good defensive play."

The play put the finishing touches on an ugly display of crunch-time offense by Portland, which led by 15 points at halftime and eight points after backup center Meyers Leonard made a 3 off a Lillard feed with 4:28 remaining.

The Trail Blazers missed eight of their final nine shots, the lone exception a 3 by Seth Curry that put Portland up by a point with 1:03 remaining. CJ McCollum, the star of the Blazers' Game 7 win over the Denver Nuggets in the West semifinals, missed all five of his field goal attempts down the stretch.

"We got some good looks," said McCollum, who had 22 points on 9-of-23 shooting. "I personally had some good looks. I had an open 3 I missed, and I had a floater I missed late. I had a switch with Draymond ; I missed a 3-pointer. I think it's just a make-or-miss league. They played good defense, but I can live with the shots I missed every day of the week."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:04:25 AM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: May 17, 2019, 09:12:02 AM »

Trading Gordo off the injury/lost year would have been impractical, wouldn't have looked good and probably not have yielded close to par value.

Addition by subtraction.  As Gordy's comeback year left a trio of BOS yute disgruntled (probably Morris as well).  So the team would have gotten better by not having to baby Haywire back to prominence, and they would have gotten decent value.  I don't think his value went up after that season of okayness.

He was Brad's boy, and no way Brad was going to bail on him after he lost the year "(17-18).  And most teams would want to see if he was good Gordo before picking up 3 yrs and a $90+ million commitment. 

Wasn't Brad's call.  And sentiment isn't how you win.
If Gordo was jettisoned, it would have made Brad's job easier and more players would have been on board.  The Gordy affair, plus Kyrie's individualism, undermined Brad's message/authority.
Could have been a different season.

Hindsite may be 20/20 but trading Gordo before he proved he was healthy would likely have been a fool's errand.

What teams would have picked up his 3 years at $95 million AND given up talents (players and/or picks) before knowing he was playing like all-star Godo?

And Ainge understoood that AND that Brad personally recruited Gordo to the Celts and that Brad and Gordo had a deep relationship.

Would Ainge undermine his coach for a reason that Ainge really could not fix?

Maybe loyalty and team building and branding is different in your part of the world, but jettisoning Gordo would not have played well. It wouldn;t have been a good look and there was no upside to sand-bagging the guy. 

And there was no "babying" him. He needed real minutes to prove he could play, and while in general he got better as the year progressed, it was a one step forward-one step back process for him, and a very frustrating year.

And yes Gordo took minutes from other guys who wanted them.

As I posted pre-season Brad's biggest challenge would be finding minutes for a real deep (too deep) team.

I hope his rehab continues and he's better in '19 than he was in '18

And teams now have a benchmark to assess him. And perhaps a team like Memphis with an expensive player they might want to trade, might see Gordo as a fix to their problem of a redundant expensive point-guard.

And lastly the problems the Celts had this year came from several players, not just Gordo.

KI, Rozier and to a lesser extent, Tatum played under expectations.

Ainge and Brad have some tough assessments and decisions to make in the wake of the '18-19 season.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:15:37 AM by bankshot1 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: May 17, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »

Not hindsight.
I was proposing Haywire trades well before the trade deadline.
Get a pick and a role player and ditch his salary, and have a happier team.  Ainge probably didn't look into it.  That was probably a mistake.

For some reason Chinese Tv failed to show its standard 10:PM replay.  And when I found an 11:30PM NBA game listed on another sports channel, it turned out to be GSW-HOU G6. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »

Not hindsight.
I was proposing Haywire trades well before the trade deadline.
Get a pick and a role player and ditch his salary, and have a happier team.  Ainge probably didn't look into it.  That was probably a mistake.

For some reason Chinese Tv failed to show its standard 10:PM replay.  And when I found an 11:30PM NBA game listed on another sports channel, it turned out to be GSW-HOU G6.

What team would have committed 3/98 and assets for a still recovering and far less than 100% Hayward?

There were no rumors of any interest in the guy after the injury or during his rehab.

Decsion makers wanted to see him play healthy.

And even at the end of this year he was not 100%.

Gordo was a risk not worth taking.

It was a fools errand
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:06:48 PM by bankshot1 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: May 17, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »

After a year off, I think many expected Haywood to be back to his old self by mid-season.  I was pretty surprised he was so up/down inconsistent this year.  And he might have been better on a more functional team, or one that relied on him more.

Every situation is different, but DAL gave NYK two picks and a few players for gimped-up KZ, and are expected to hand out a similar to Gordy 5 year contract.  There's no guarantee when/if KZ will be back to his old form.  PHX, CHI, maybe WAS, MIN might have been interested in Haywire.  Maybe others.  Hey Gordy has talent, smarts, and a good work ethic.

So what do folks think about RJ Barrett.  Seems like not much of a 3-point shot.  Doesn't even shoot FT's well.  But I have no idea what he looks like.  Thoughts on him?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: May 17, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »

So.....

what do we think, Knick fans - Mitch vs Allen

https://twitter.com/NewEraKnicks/status/1129102109826256897

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: May 17, 2019, 12:41:03 PM »

After a year off, I think many expected Haywood to be back to his old self by mid-season.  I was pretty surprised he was so up/down inconsistent this year.  And he might have been better on a more functional team, or one that relied on him more.

Every situation is different, but DAL gave NYK two picks and a few players for gimped-up KZ, and are expected to hand out a similar to Gordy 5 year contract.  There's no guarantee when/if KZ will be back to his old form.  PHX, CHI, maybe WAS, MIN might have been interested in Haywire.  Maybe others.  Hey Gordy has talent, smarts, and a good work ethic.

So what do folks think about RJ Barrett.  Seems like not much of a 3-point shot.  Doesn't even shoot FT's well.  But I have no idea what he looks like.  Thoughts on him?

I dont think Gordie had much trade value mid year.

Re:  Barrett -

he's a scorer.  He WILL score in this league.  Boards quite well - gets out on the break - will be a gteam changer

That said - Knicks said to have had a great visit with Marant.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Celtics
« Reply #5860 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:52 PM »

Mistake was getting Hayward in the first place. They didn’t need him and crowding out other young/promising players was only going to create trouble.

They shoulda gone for none other than my main man ENES KANTER. A front court of him with Al Horford would be terrific.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »

I cant disagree, 'los

I have been on Ainge all along for his overall work (mostly Tatum deal) - but the Gordie Hayward knee sure wasnt his fault - the setback becoming a wall for DA to get over.

As I said - time to see what his work brings now - when it gets real tough.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: May 17, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »

Gordo was a 20 ppg 6 rebound all-star wing wiho could shoot, and who played smart in Utah.

And Brad loved and trusted the guy

We never saw Utah-Gordo as a Celt.

And comping the KP trade and a potential Gordo trade is apples and oranges.

KP was making what- $5MM?  Any trade for Gordo would have required ~$31MM in salary matches.

It was too big a risk for damaged goods.

IMO there may be a Gordo trade possibility with Memphis, but it depends on what KI does.

And kid it was Gordo's ankle that got destroyed not his knee.

and help me out here, are you still unsure of Ainge's Tatum + a lottery pick for Fultz trade?

TFF

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: May 17, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »

Yes

Ankle.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: May 17, 2019, 02:46:07 PM »

Mistake was getting Hayward in the first place. They didn’t need him and crowding out other young/promising players was only going to create trouble.

Disagree.  It's just things changed.  They couldn't foretell that Hayward would become Injuryward after 5 mins as a Celt.  While the Jayson/Jalen timeline changed dramatically as well.  It's just once you have those changes, I would have been looking to move Gordy and gone with my studly yute.

KP was making what- $5MM?  Any trade for Gordo would have required ~$31MM in salary matches.
It was too big a risk for damaged goods.

Wes Matthews ending contract of $18M was always available.  Either in a deal with DAL or in a 3-way.
Could always trade with a team under the cap or bring them in to complete a trade.  There are ways.  Not overly hard.

Btw, KZ was $5M going on $31M (his max deal can be 5/$158M)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 1847