Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 918684 times)

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #6780 on: July 01, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »

And agree with Bo that Vonleh at half the price of Portis (or less than half) would have made more sense.

Similarly, Looney at $20 over two would have more sense.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: July 01, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »

Lots of movement.
Mo Hark and My Leo to MIA for Whiteside.

MIA clears a little extra room to fit Butler and gets two decent role players.

If Dragic can stay healthy:

Dragic - Butler - Winslow - MoHawk - Bam Onthebayou
?? -  Dion/McGruder/Tyler Hero - James Johnson - Olynyk

Rigth now looks like Butler is the backup PG.  Didn't they try Winslow some there last year?
They should pick up a min salary backup PG.  Tim Frazier, De Colo, Larkin . . .  Yikes.
MIA seems to have too many SG's.
That starting lineup can defend ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: July 01, 2019, 05:06:20 PM »

Knicks may have added too many guys that want time. Some vets I like adding. But this is a 30 win team - did we really need all of these guys, who will take minutes away from Ntilikina, Trier, Dotson and Brazdeikas (possibly all their minutes), plus possibly even DSJ and Knox and Mitch.

More troubling, had we not signed Ellington, Portis and Payton, not only would we have had more or less the same playoff seeding (maybe we'd be 13th instead of 11th) with more minutes for the yutes, but that empty cap space would have yielded a first rounder from OKC, or possibly assets from Charlotte.

This was short-sighted. I like most of the players given the circumstances of nobody better wanting to come. I like that the deals have lots of team options (smart to pay lots of cash in exchange for that flexibility). There's just too many of them.

Agreed. I don't get the plan.

(if there is a plan)

FWK00

• View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: July 01, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »

Knicks may have added too many guys that want time. Some vets I like adding. But this is a 30 win team - did we really need all of these guys, who will take minutes away from Ntilikina, Trier, Dotson and Brazdeikas (possibly all their minutes), plus possibly even DSJ and Knox and Mitch.

More troubling, had we not signed Ellington, Portis and Payton, not only would we have had more or less the same playoff seeding (maybe we'd be 13th instead of 11th) with more minutes for the yutes, but that empty cap space would have yielded a first rounder from OKC, or possibly assets from Charlotte.

This was short-sighted. I like most of the players given the circumstances of nobody better wanting to come. I like that the deals have lots of team options (smart to pay lots of cash in exchange for that flexibility). There's just too many of them.

(if there is a plan)

Well, they signed players who analytically excel in aspects of the game and a few who actually still have potential.

It looks suspiciously like the baseball Moneyball theory applied to a basketball team.  All of them don't back down so there's that.

OTOH, if Fizz is as dull a coach as he was last year the chemistry of the team may never be realized.  I would have been happier with cap space and playing the kids as a first priority.  If this goes south - the rebuild will quickly falter and we'll look like the remnants of the Layden years.

Hope we aren't just killing time.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: July 01, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »

Everyone but Randle is a potentially ending contract tradeabe in January.

The less exciting of Ellington or Bullock can go on the block.

The same for Portis or Taj.

Payton, DJS, and Frank as well.

Anyone we like we can pick up and possibly eventually extend.

We’re trying to develop our young C, SF, and SG.

These are short term competent guys who can hold their own enough that main the young guys won’t have to compensate for shortcomings at those positions while learning their own.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: July 01, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »

You'd have to wonder if we're going to trade someone this summer.

However, like facilitatorn said most are reportedly 1 year and team option so someone seems likely to be dealt by the deadline who isn't cutting it or gets the Frank treatment.

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: July 01, 2019, 05:46:29 PM »

Also, I liked Fiz when we were bringing in stars, but is he the right coach for what's going on?

He loves those reclamation projects I guess, which is rather Isiah-like in some ways interestingly enough.

I can see him being gone after this season quite easily. Not sure what Perry and Mills expect. playoffs? ummm...nah
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:48:01 PM by PrezIke »

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: July 01, 2019, 06:02:08 PM »

(if there is a plan)

My sense is the "hard working" vets we signed are there to both teach, push and challenge the youngins for PT to see who survives and proves themselves as worth keeping around or not.

I think they might think they (Gibson?) can teach Randle how to play defense as he's better athletically than Kanter (is that saying much), yet he's clearly no Mitch. He is a better passer, which helps ball movement (a problem last year, IMO). He also turns the ball over at a lower rate (has a + assist/to rate) and his improved 3 point shooting could prove useful (only 1 season though), so this should be an improvement to the team that Fiz will like as we had too many black holes on the team.

Meanwhile we hold out for "the next star that wants to leave" (how many times have you read/heard that statement since AD?) and/or 2021 Free Agency and collect more assets.

At least being slightly better won't necessarily hurt our chances at getting a top pick with the new rules. Wish the draft was this way all those years when Isiah, Walsh and PJax were in charge. We might have actually gotten a top 3 pick in a good draft.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:13:44 PM by PrezIke »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: July 01, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »

That makes a lot of sense, Prez.

If Fiz can do for Payton what he did for Mud, improve his finishing, shooting, and confidence, Payton would actually be pretty good as he can already pass and defend. Payton getting you 13-14 a game, at a 44-45% clip and 33% and up from three would be a pretty nice output and would be an equivalent jump. He gets about 7 dimes on 3-1 AtoT. Smith and Trier go into attack mode against second units. EP is a better model for Frank who can be a better athlete than any guard we’ve had here. Barrett and Bullock can give and take physically at the SG spot. I see Ellington getting high money for low work, but he’s a pro shooter who uses the work to get open to be really dangerous. This is something all our other guards need to learn.

If Knox and Ignas can take the best aspects of Taj and Reggie’s games they have a sturdy path to development.

Aside from Taj, the pack leader, the bigs are young bigs who will battle, some will rise to the top.

It has to start with fitness and defensive schemes, but we have an interesting foundation to compete with.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: July 01, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

PrezIke

• View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: July 01, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: July 01, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »

Not yet.

I’m interested in what happens to the last spot though,

DMC
WCS
Salah Mejeri
O’Quinn
Kornet
Nene

Would be my preferences in order.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: July 01, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »

Iggy clearly going to D league

Dotson will battle Knox for time at the 3, as well as backing up RJ.

I disagree that Bullock and Ellington need to play.  But good that they are here - we can swing a 2 or 3 for 1 using the young pups if we wish.

Fiz has the horses - and is now on the clock.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: July 01, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »

And agree with Bo that Vonleh at half the price of Portis (or less than half) would have made more sense.

Similarly, Looney at $20 over two would have more sense.

Portis does more.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: July 01, 2019, 09:15:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1848