Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 914211 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7080 on: July 14, 2019, 11:56:38 PM »

Smart by the Wiz. Helped him avoid having his confidence severely set back. He looked pro ready in the game I saw from him.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Herky NOT Jerky...HOPE Not DOPE
« Reply #7081 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:51 AM »

The weird thing was our guys attacking the ensuing doubles, forcing the Wiz to fully commit, then finding a (usually very) open man. Good looking basketball.

RJ looked herky, not jerky; purposeful, not awkward. And over the course of four games, he got his fellow pups Knox, Robinson and Brazdeikis moving without the ball, setting screens, and spacing the floor, realizing that opposing defenses had to respect his north-south drives down the lane, and that when they collapsed, RJ either doubled down and got to the free throw line, or identified a driver or shooter or dunker to convert easy, well...EASIER opportunities.  Knox and Brazdeikis spread the floor with the threat of the threes, and Robinson, moving without the ball got lots of old school big man hoops.  Again, RJ's game and sense of team work, translated to Knox and Brdeikis, who while they were launching [AND MAKING] ICBMs, didn't settle, and the Knicks as a team drew a lot of fouls, which is what Fizz was preaching all last year, and not often getting...live and learn. 

Kadeem did a solid job at PG.  But really, RJ is thinking like a point guard/point forward wing, a distributor, bringing the ball up on so many possessions. And RJ's penetrations and kick outs, inspired Ignas and Kevin.  When was the last time Kevin Knox had 5 assists?  And Brazdeikis.  Maybe James Dolan dropped a dime on Jeffrey Epstein, and that was God's WAY of rewarding the Knicks with another 2nd round gem. 

Good vibe, or as Facil inferred...FUN, like real city basketball. 

And some of those auditioning for camp invites and assignment to the G-League Knicks, were very impressive, really.  Two 6'9" bigs in particular, the offensive performance of Kavanaugh and the defensive performance of Wooten, both showed good motors, hops, tenacity and fell right in to RJ's style of orchestration.  Kavanaugh finishing on the break, knocking down treys; Wooten an elite college defender, who can leap right out of the gym, was like Robinson 2.1--BLOCKED FIVE SHOTS. Too bad we didn't get to see the Wilkes kid, 6'8" scoring SF from UCLA, who signed a two-way.  And as good as Trier was in Game 1, him sitting out with some sort of bug, maybe was a blessing in disguise, as her could look at RJ and see parallels with how they create for each other, and potentially for others. 

Mudiay [Payton]
Herzonja [Morris, Brazdeikis]
Vonleh [Randle, Gibson]
Kornet [Portis]

C: Robinson
PF-C: Randle, Portis, Gibson
SF-PF: Morris, Knox, Brazdeikis
SG-SF: Ellington, Bullock, Barrett, Trier, Dotson, Ntilikina
PG: Payton, Smith

Got me, but for what was portrayed as an abject failure in the media?  Pretty good haul.  And on sensible 1+1 deals. 

I was pulling for 2+1 Randle in my private correspondences with Nagel, and/or for Portis, as i did not see Durant Or Irving or Walker or Leonard giving us a sniff. 

Was startled when we got both.  And how aggressively the Knicks got commitments from a pool of players, instead of crying about spilt milk. 

Now Randle, only 24, should be a fixture at PF, and we have solid bigs in Gibson and Portis. 

We look to have ferocious competition at every position, and genuine depth. Can't find playing time for everyone?  Nice problem to have, for fuck's sake.  Pups won't be given anything...a different style of development than last year. 

Hey, Dotson and Ntilikina as the 14th and 15th man?

Why not Ellington and Bullock.  They're getting paid well for the privilege. 

And hey, come the February trade deadline, we have a host of talented players with ending contracts, should certain players present themselves as redundancies, heaven forbid, but prove to be assets as possible transactions with teams on the cusp of a playoff run present themselves. 

These VETS, young (Randle, Portis, Payton) and older (Gibson, Ellington, Morris, Bullock) are not here to mentor our pups, but to kick their ass, stand between them and minutes.  Take this gun from my dead cold hands. 

WIN. 

Those who do not give Fizdale credit for the growth of Robinson and Knox and Trier (let alone Mudiay, Herzonja, Vonleh, and Kornet), are either borscht belt comedians, or visually impaired. 

WIN. 

RJ Barrett, Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Ignas Brazdeikis, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith, Alonzo Trier and Damyean Dotson represent our Kiddie Korps.  I count EIGHT, facing SEVEN more experienced, arguably more polished, mature, talented players. 

The style of basketball I saw against the Wizards, embodied the kind of aggressive, push the ball, attack the hoop, get to the foul line, spread the floor Fizz talked of, but rarely delivered last season.  Our Kiddie Korps were allowed to take their lumps, play through their faux pas, see what it took to win.  Seventeen wins.  Not exactly a tank job, but a time share with the future. 

This season? 

Just...WIN. 

The Nyets have elevated the bar, to put it mildly...but then they have playing poker and nurturing their own youth patiently and purposefully, a nice template for Perry & Mills TO ADHERE TO, motherfuckers, and the Knicks are going to have to raise their game.  Lots of work to do.  But I like our talent pool, and serious accountability for our Pups. 

Does this Pinyata Like Roster, and a preponderance of...DOGS, translate into...DEFENSE? 

Stay tuned. 

Onwards towards the playoffs, least way in the hunt. 

Signed

Rosie The Kibbitzer
PomPom Gurl Pro Temps
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:25:52 AM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: July 15, 2019, 02:14:49 AM »

I have no idea what the contract situation is with Bullock, but I have heard plantar fasciitis mentioned as the concerning condition. With that news and our surplus of shooting guards and wings, I hope we a looking to sign him for the minimum so he can be insured then release him to keep a spot for a backup center.

I’m trying to believe that Portis, Randle, and Gibson do that job between them. If Portis had a better defensive rep, I’d say it was him and I think that’s how we’re going to try to use him.

Taj, Randle, and Morris is a power small ball lineup that could be hell to cover on a night when they are hitting shots.

Don’t get me wrong. Mitch is both awesome and pivotal, but he’s foul prone and to keep him healthy we’re going to want to shield him from too much banging with the league’s true monsters.

We can also go Randle Portis Gibson because of how Portis spaces and Gibson defends.

I want a plan for the frontcourt. I’m willing to let the backcourt work itself out.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: July 15, 2019, 12:41:24 PM »

J Earl Smith waived by Cavs.
Likely career over at 34.
LeBJ probably won't even come calling.
And it's not like anyone would see him as a smart vet.
Probably would have had a better career if he was more focused and did less partying.  Had a solid career nonetheless, made a ton of money, etc.   Was one of those guys who couldn't handle the NYC distractions.  Likely too many friends and hangers-on, since he's from NJ.

This is kind of odd:
For most contracts, only the guaranteed portion of a player’s salary counts toward matching in a trade. But because Smith signed his deal under the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, his full $15,680,000 salary counts even though just a small portion of it ($4.4M) is guaranteed.

Actually, it was $3.9M guaranteed, but Cavs gave him an extra 1/2 Mil to move his guarantee date back two weeks, while they sought to trade him.  I like how money is just sloshing around in the NBofA.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:43:50 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: July 15, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »

Shame on the Knicks for making me watch more of Kevin Knox
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:29:31 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: July 15, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »

HENRY ELLENSON signs with Brooklyn.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Sitters
« Reply #7086 on: July 15, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »

I don't see Taj playing every game.  He's the new Lance Thomas.  Bring him in if you don't like the defensive effort.

I don't see Bullock playing much if hurt.

I don't think i've ever actually seen Wayne Ellington. 

Frank and Dotson are Phil Jackon holdovers so they're on the bubble.

Gonna be a bunch of guys on the end of the bench as Fizdale doesn't play that many guys on a given night.

And i hate that thing where you change the starters all the time.

I'm ok with sitting the players mentioned above.

KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Does Knox go to the bench?
« Reply #7087 on: July 15, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »

Starting C:   Mitchell or Bobby
Starting PF:  Randle
Starting SF:  Morris
Starting SG: RJB
Starting PG: Dsmith or Payton

Bench: Trier, Knox, Taj, Iggy
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: July 15, 2019, 02:45:06 PM »

HENRY ELLENSON signs with Brooklyn.

A two way contract. You can watch him in the Gleague. Decent player, but he needs to get stronger.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: July 15, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »

The Lakers got seriously deep.

AD Boogie McGee
LBJ Dudley
Kuzma KCP
Green Caruso Daniels
Bradley Cook Rondo

If the Battle for LA is one of attrition, they probably have the edge on the Clippers at this point.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Does Knox go to the bench?
« Reply #7090 on: July 15, 2019, 04:39:00 PM »

Starting C:   Mitchell or Bobby
Starting PF:  Randle
Starting SF:  Morris
Starting SG: RJB
Starting PG: Dsmith or Payton

Bench: Trier, Knox, Taj, Iggy

Smith and RJB would have to be the worst 3-point shooting starting backcourt in the League.  And their driving lanes would be clogged by Mitch and Randle.
Morris would be our best 3-point threat in the starting lineup?
You could be very well right -- as that's the most obvious starting 5.  But it all sounds implausible and poorly conceived.

Taj might start off as a in-case-of-no-defense-break-glass guy.
But I think either to start the season or by Game 20 Taj will be fully installed as our backup C.

I'd start:
Mitch
Randle
Morris
Dotson
Jr. Smith

Portis, Barrett, Knox and Payton's place as an energetic bench unit.  Along with Taj and Trier. 
We could do Hubie's old second line switch!
Okay so we have too many players.

Really, since I don't see us doing much this year, I'd rather we didn't hijack Morris and just start Knox in his stead.  I think this team makes more sense if/when we trade one of our new PF's + Franc for an SF. 

Seems kind of foolish not to start one of Knox and Barrett.  I assume we start Barrett at SG and Knox gets a bit shortchanged -- but maybe as much as he's ready for.
But I'd rather start Knox.  We don't need to throw another 19 year old in with grown men starters.  Let him develop slowly and work his way up.   Can still get 20 mins a night if he's ready.

I'd be ready to go with Dotson for better D than Trier.  And Trier is kind of an instant offense bench guy.

Crowded roster until we make a move.
(I didn't even consider Bullocks/Ellington)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: July 15, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »

With the possible exception of backup center, we won’t be playing guys just because we need someone to be filling out the position. Barrett doesn’t suffer for Knox’s off night and Kevin doesn’t suffer for RJ’s. This should go for all the pups, by which I mean everyone on the roster 25 and younger. I think I could have said 24, but chose 25 to be safe.

Mitch
Portis
Randle
Knox
Ignas
Barrett
Frank
Dotson
Trier
Payton
Smith

While there is a hell of a lot of talent there, all of these guys have lots of things to figure out.

Having Taj, Marcus, and Wayne means there’s a battle tested framework of basic NBA play to fall back on and build up from.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: July 15, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »

The Lakers got seriously deep.

AD Boogie McGee
LBJ Dudley
Kuzma KCP
Green Caruso Daniels
Bradley Cook Rondo

heh

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: July 15, 2019, 05:35:58 PM »

Why is it everyone needs Robinson in their starting lineup?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: July 15, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »

Key defender.
And we need to develop our yute.
The only thing going to keep him off the court is fouls.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1848