Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 915283 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7455 on: August 21, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »

Well, I seem to be firmly in the kiid/Les camp.

David Lee was empty calories.
I thought it was abundantly clear not to pay him a big salary.

I even liked what we got back from GS, even if none of it panned out.
Azubuike was a terrific young 2-way SG -- unfortunately couldn't recover.
Randolph was a head case worth taking a flyer on.
Tauriaf a solid vet role player.

Amare helped lead us back to the playoffs.
Crafting a Big 3 of Melo-Amare-Tyc was a bit strange.
But worked that one year with Kidd.
Too bad Amare broke down.
But he gave us some spark and excitement.
I've got an Amare jersey I whip out now and then . . .
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Enjoy your straw man argument
« Reply #7456 on: August 21, 2019, 12:56:32 PM »

Nobody was arguing Lee over Amare.

The point is that the whole LEE trade was dumb. 

Didn't need to be a sign and trade.  Just let him go.

And we didn't need to panic and sign a fragile Amare.

Had we employed the 1 and 1 strategy we did this summer we would've been poised to be players for the next wave of super free agents or to facilitate trades.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: August 21, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »

Amare helped lead us back to the playoffs.
Crafting a Big 3 of Melo-Amare-Tyc was a bit strange.
But worked that one year with Kidd.
Too bad Amare broke down.
But he gave us some spark and excitement.
I've got an Amare jersey I whip out now and then . . .

That 54 win season was empty calories.
Like a plate of General Tso
You're hungry again a half hour later.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: August 21, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »

Knix have only had 3 winning seasons in the last 18 years.
All 3 of those were with Amare.
That 54 W season was the best thing Knickwise since JVG.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:42:40 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: August 21, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »

So true, so sad
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: August 22, 2019, 12:13:45 AM »

Jim Dolan’s Week Gets Worse as Subscribers Flee Knicks Channel

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jim-dolan-week-gets-worse-145634285.html
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: August 22, 2019, 01:42:49 AM »

Consumers are dropping their cable-TV subscriptions in favor of cheaper online options, threatening the futures of cable-channel owners like MSG Networks that rely on collecting subscriber fees to grow their profits. Sports channels have become especially vulnerable in the era of cord-cutting, as TV distributors create cheaper packages that don’t include them.

I was at a big market just few days ago.  And one electronics shop offered something they called World Tv.  Connect the internet to a cable-like box, then to your TV.  And Voila! you have all sorts of Tv options.  You get cable from US, French, Germany, etc.  Amusingly he put it on US TV and flipped right by MSG, so I had him stop there for a minute.  This being China, who knows on its legality.  But for $130 for the box-system, or just $70 for a no-box software package that does the same, it's interesting.

I really don't like TV much, and pretty much only watch basketball, boxing and occasional tennis.  But being able to get BBC and CNN, plus MSG on my TV instead of just on my monitor is something to consider.  Since it's basically switching AM and PM, China time zone is particularly bad for watching US TV.  But Europe not too bad.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: August 22, 2019, 02:42:48 AM »

I’m becoming a free condensed game guy for most non Knicks sports I used to sit down and watch. I’ve been that way since I started training and competing again.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: August 22, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »

Knix have only had 3 winning seasons in the last 18 years.
All 3 of those were with Amare.
That 54 W season was the best thing Knickwise since JVG.

That's saying little.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: August 22, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »

You wouldnt agree Knicks in the Amare days were also a bit unlucky?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: August 22, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »

To reach a better outcome with those components would have needed incredible luck. We were not that lucky, but the problems that occurred were pretty predictable, so it was more a factor of bad plan than bad luck.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:42 AM »

From ESPN:

10. Atlanta Hawks: 34-48
11. Chicago Bulls: 32-50
12. Washington Wizards: 28-54

13. New York Knicks: 26-56

14. Charlotte Hornets: 23-59
15. Cleveland Cavaliers: 22-60

Hawks, Bulls, Wiz.
Are those weak sisters really better than us?
I'll have to check on rosters.
They do have more continuity than Los Knickos.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Noah's SNARK
« Reply #7467 on: August 23, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »

We Represent The LollyPop Guild

And Thus, BEG To DIFFER....With The Prevailing Snark

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:35:30 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Citizen Melo
« Reply #7468 on: August 23, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »

His skills, though still significant, have palpably diminished, plain and simple.

But he doesn't rule out a reunion with the Knicks. 

[Cough]

But his mindset is still of the player he WAS, Iso-Melo, maneuvering in the box, and that is no longer the modern game.

Even at a late stage in his career, he could hit the long three, though not with the consistency of some younger puppies.

Also, there is a perception, and I do not believe it is inaccurate, which holds that he is still a bell cow, and teams are understandably uneasy about giving a roster spot to someone who is more committed to his game than the team game. Which is not to say that Melo is as terminally selfish as many assert, or a congenital ball hog, but that his sense of PROPORTION as to his game and how he might fit in a system, as opposed to how a system might be divined to fit him, is the sticking point. In other words, Melo still has game, sure, but it is Melo's game--and does it have a place in the MODERN TEAM GAME?

I hated the fucking trade that he forced the Knicks at gunpoint to make, in lieu of signing him as a free agent that coming summer, as it gutted their roster, and basically denied him the talent support system he needed to advance in the playoffs. Still, I came to appreciate his passion and skill set and sheer talent. 

But as time marched on, everyone in the building, including my grandmother, who'd already been dead for many years, knew that in the final five minutes, the Knicks were playing Hero Ball, the rock was coming into the paint, and Melo was going to see triple teams as his team mates stood around holding their dicks.

Not winning hoops.

And while he did have that one 54 win season, it was with that douche nozzle Mike Woodson, who basically tossed everyone else under the bus, and gave Melo carte blanche. The team won, not because of Woodson or Melo, but because of Jason Kidd, who was the real coach/catalyst on the floor.

When Kidd departed, and there was no rudder, the ship ran aground, making way for the debacle that was the Phil Jackson Error, and the huge contract and no trade Melo demanded and got, which once again, hamstrung the team's financial ability to build a winning culture around him (that and Jackson's quixotic insistence on the Triangle). Yet another example of Melo first.

Somehow, after Jackson publicly trashed him, Scott Perry managed to get some real assets for him from OKC, and while Kanter and McDermott/Mudiay are gone, in lieu of Melo, their cap space was useful, and the second rounder turned into Mitchell Robinson. Mazel Tov. 

And why didn't things work out in OKC with such talented players as Paul George and Russell Westbrook? Because Melo over-estimated his own game, and felt he WASN'T BEING UTILIZED CORRECTLY.

And that is why the following season, Houston pulled the plug after what, ten games, and furthermore, that is why he is not presently on any NBA roster, nor likely to be on one again.

He is NOT BEING BLACKBALLED. That is bullshit. He is past his prime, looking for a big stage and unwilling to envision himself as a ROLE PLAYER.

Hey, after they suffered career crushing injuries, the likes of Ron Harper and Antonio McDyess sustained viable, positive NBA careers as role players, finding things they could do well, even though the sexiest aspects of their games were now a memory. Red Auerbach used to regularly rehabilitate fading talents, and find a winning role for them in spot minutes in the team game. 

Melo's MEMORY is that of the dominant player he was in 2012-2013, and 2013-2014.

In Dog Years and the NBA, five years is a long damn time, and Melo has sustained a belief that he is still a 30-35 minute a night, top tier rotation player. HE IS NOT. He is 35 years old, and an old dog unwilling to learn any new tricks. He has not been blackballed. Rather, Serial Blowhard Stephen A. notwithstanding, he has BLACKBALLED HIMSELF. He will not play in the NBA this season. "I'm Charles Foster Kane, Boss Geddes..."

Pity, because he can still play, but he has been sidelined by his own hubris.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:03:53 PM by chipstern »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: August 23, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »

You wouldnt agree Knicks in the Amare days were also a bit unlucky?

Because he punched a fire hydrant and kept getting injured on an uninsurable deal?

Or because LeBron and Wade and Bosh?

I will accept the latter as a reason but not the former.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1848