Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899675 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7605 on: September 21, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »

They'll likely have a media session on the 30th, i'm guessing actual ball practice starts Tuesday the 1st
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: September 22, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »

I think if you're drafting, you wouldn't want to take Knox and Barrett in B2B years.  Both are quite young, somewhat raw, and not sure things.  I would have preferred getting a more solid plug'n'play 3&D wing in one of the drafts. 

Picked after Knox were Bridges, a quality PG in Shai, Bridges and the enigmatic talented gimpy Porter Jr.

The Knix have drafted well the last decade or so, and I was fine with them going with the raw upside of very Knox, if that's who they thought was best.  But it was a very deep draft.  And I didn't know how bad Knox's defense level was.
In hindsight I would have taken Shai, who was moving up draft boards and getting buzz late.

And now we drafted another very young guy with noticeable flaws -- outside shooting and again defense.  Seems we went high-risk/high-reward again, with both players seemingly poor defenders. 

Picked after Barrett -- 3&D wings Hunter and Culver; a pair of Points Garland and Coby White; while Jaxson Hayes and Reddish are getting some hype.

Not sure what the trade-down options were.  ATL nabbed Hayes & Reddish at 8 & 10.   If we could have somehow gotten one of those two plus a PG such as Garland or White . . .

Hunter is almost 22, 2.5 years older than Barrett.  But fits very well the 3&D, switchable, multi-position wing that is vital these days.

Again, as always, I'm no draftnik.  Just wasn't impressed by Barrett's college highlight reel.  Which is all the sleuthing I did.  A lot of awkward odd-angle drives that he gets in, and not much passing or shooting.  He's super-young and has a good support network (including Steve Nash).  But I would have been looking elsewhere.

Two lotto drafts, and we didn't get a reliable defender or a 3 point shooter (ideally one 3&D wing) or a PG.  Shai & Hunter would be a better tandem than Barrett & Knox.  I don't know enough about Garland & White to know if I'd prefer one of them and a Bridges to what we got. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:27:56 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: September 22, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »

Barrett is not Knox (redux)

Nuff said.

And you certainly dont say. "well. we missed on Knox as a home run play, so lets play it safe here".  Thats no way to run a club

I was in favor of Garland (with a PG restructure after they decided no Mudiay) - but not because RJ is a question. 

Still B/B - BULLISH  on BARRETT.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: September 22, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »

I think Knox qualifies as a "three point shooter", having made 125 of them

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: September 23, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »

I realize you play the hand you're dealt.
But you're always the Trade Up/Trade Down Kid.

But you look at ATL with Trae and Collins.
Or Memf with Ja & Jackson.
Where they have drafted a young PG & a Big.
And they are well ahead of us in rebuilding and having a path forward.  You can more easily see how to fit pieces around them.
And build a team.

Not sure when/how the Knix are going to get a legit starting PG.
Not sure why our roster is so crowded.
Not sure why we didn't bring back any of last year's developmental crew.  (I would have kept Kornet and probably Vonleh).   Continuity is good for a team.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: September 23, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: September 23, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »

I realize you play the hand you're dealt.
But you're always the Trade Up/Trade Down Kid.

But you look at ATL with Trae and Collins.
Or Memf with Ja & Jackson.
Where they have drafted a young PG & a Big.
And they are well ahead of us in rebuilding and having a path forward.  You can more easily see how to fit pieces around them.
And build a team.

Not sure when/how the Knix are going to get a legit starting PG.
Not sure why our roster is so crowded.
Not sure why we didn't bring back any of last year's developmental crew.  (I would have kept Kornet and probably Vonleh).   Continuity is good for a team.

Well...

ATL hit on their PG.  We did not.

The mistake would be in continuing to act like you did.

Knicks are half-waying it - having picked up Smith and then Payton.

"Yeah, we still believe plenty in Frank......" - but with a possible franchise young point in tow if it goes further south

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: September 23, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »

ATL hit on their PG.  We did not.
The mistake would be in continuing to act like you did.

Knicks are half-waying it - having picked up Smith and then Payton.
"Yeah, we still believe plenty in Frank......" - but with a possible franchise young point in tow if it goes further south

Don't think that's the case.
I think NYK spent last season looking to move Franc and couldn't get the 1st rounder they were seeking.  The 2 PG's we have make it clear that Franc is expendable.

I think they'll try to move Franc again this year.
My guess is he'll be packaged with Taj or Ellington, to a team that needs either a defensive Big or more 3-Pt shooting for their playoff run.  But could be added with Morris too.

Knix could make a package of Taj, Ellington and Franc and see what that draws.  Basically gives a team an instant bench.

We have a loaded team, so really could put feelers out on all sorts of packages.  What could Jr. Smith and Morris return?   That could intrigue someone. 

Basically we have half the season to decide who is a keeper, which players fit together and fit with Mitch and Barrett (and to a lesser extent Knox).

I'd really like Franc to play 20 mins a night for a few months to see how he fits, how he's progressed and to up his value.  But with Jr. Smith and The Elf, and plenty of SG's, I'm not sure how that is going to happen.

But I think Knix will be looking to make a December trade.  Or something before the trade deadline.  If our record is poor, and we are loaded with decent talents, mostly on 1-years, I think rumors will swirl.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: September 23, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »

I am not dealing either PG, even for (what would likely be a late)  #1

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
TREMENDOUS HAIRDO
« Reply #7614 on: September 23, 2019, 10:07:17 PM »

This is an actual unedited photo of our very stable genius who, according to the same very stable genius, deserves a Nobel Peace Price for a lot of reasons.

Fac, I thought you may like a new avatar. I'm sticking with the Títere, but I think this one is quite spectacular.

Slugs look rather nice by comparison (except when they don't have a racist bone).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:12:37 PM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: September 24, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »

CBSports ranks presumed closing lineups for all teams.
They peg the Knix 29, ahead of only CHA.

29. New York Knicks
G Dennis Smith Jr.
G RJ Barrett
F Kevin Knox
F Marcus Morris
F Julius Randle

The Knicks have plenty of options this season as they try to figure out which young members of the team will be part of the franchise moving forward, but they'll probably start with this as their main closing lineup. None are really proven go-to scorers in crunch time, and they haven't played together at all, so it's probably going to be rough sledding for a while, much like the rest of the Knicks' season.
Elfrid Payton, Frank Ntilikina and Bobby Portis could also occasionally find themselves on the court for the final minutes.

That kind of looks like the worst defensive 5-Man team we could court.  Except worse if you swapped in Portis for Morris.

I'd think we won't have both Knox and Barrett out there to end games, unless they are both playing well.  Too porous and inexperienced.  I'd think we'd have one of Mitch/Taj
out there, to cover for mistakes and protect the rim.

I'm not even sure Jr. Smith finishes.  If he's playing well, sure. 
But plenty of games I could see Elf or Franc out there acrunching.

My Finishing Five:
Committee (whoever's playing well, tempered by what's needed)
Barrett/Knox
Morris
Randle
Mitch (Taj)

I do think Smith has the inside track as he's the presumed starter.
But Elf might show more savvy, pestiferousness and energy.
While we might just need Franc out there some games for his D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:15:21 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: September 24, 2019, 12:14:11 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-every-nba-teams-best-closing-lineup-entering-the-2019-20-season/

The guy who wrote that piece seems to have a definite smallball fetish.  He has 2 teams finishing with 3 PG's.  And Lots of teams closing with 2 PG's.  I seriously doubt OKC is running CP3 - Shai and Shroder all together in crunch time.  The other is CLE, which could do a Garland-Sexton-Clarkson triumvirate, if they want to go all-in on development.

The Nets might go with 3 G's -- Kyrie - Dinwiddie - LaVert.  But then he has Harris with them, and goes on to say that maybe they could go super small and have Kurucs or Taureen Prince out there with that quartet instead of Jar Allen or DeAndre. 
If they are using 4 smalls, I'm certain they're using one of their Big C's. I think there's zero chance Allen or Deandre isn't out there to end things.  Kyrie and Harris are sieves.

He also has BOS supersmall with Kemba - Smart - Jaylen - Hayward - Tatum.  Hmm.  Yeah, Horford is gone and Kanter isn't a great end game option.  But I see Theis or Kant out there.  Gotta board.  And Kant is dominant down low.

I don't think the League is going to embrace smallball as much as this feller. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:46:36 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: September 24, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »

Frank should be in the closing lineup for his defense and clutch shooting he displayed in the Worlds.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »

My Finishing Five:
Committee (whoever's playing well, tempered by what's needed)
Barrett/Knox
Morris
Randle
Mitch (Taj)

Nicely stated

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: September 25, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »

personally, I can't see Knox sniffing the 4th quarter unless we're on the active tank again...
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 1844