Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 911233 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #7800 on: October 17, 2019, 05:43:35 AM »

Trier, Dot, and Ellington can round out our back court.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: October 17, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »

Overlooked is how often we in recent years miss big free throws/have horrible late possessions in losses.

Last night just another example - with Julius clanging the game-tier with 19 ticks left.

Hawks are interesting.  As are we.

Pharoah

• View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »

The Knicks made late comeback attempt after struggling with Trae Young and the Hawks all night but couldn't close out, losing 96-100. It was a game of flashes of hope mixed with frustration. The point forward concept has been pushed a little too hard with a front court that mostly isolates. All of Randle, Morris and Portis performed better when they got the ball in motion. The Randle and Portis interior tandem leaves a lot to be desired defensively. We're also getting a healthy dose of Ellington, Mook and Portis at the expense of minutes for Trier, Knox and Robinson. But the young guys did so flashes. RJ and Knox looked like our most dynamic weapons on the roster in spite of poor shooting numbers. Mitch still blocked shots in limited minutes. Then Frank flashed his ability to take over a game on the defensive end late, keying the near comeback for the Knicks through a block, a steal, an offensive board and an assist during a late run. Let's explore further...

DSJ
: Tough to say much about this one because Smith looked rusty after returning from a back injury. His timing wasn't there, two players looked him off on the very first play of the game and he picked up quick foul trouble that hurt his rhythm even further. When Smith did play, he looked hesitant and may have been trying to share a bit too much (new teammates causes chemistry issues). It's mostly forgivable, the guy just took time off for back problems and he's rusty. We can worry about him if two weeks from now the same problems persist. One thing that does worry me is just how iso heavy our forwards are. DSJ struggled when Doncic took the reins of the offense in Dallas. Now he's looking at an offense with Marcus Morris, Julius Randle and RJ Barrett will all share the floor and need their turns...it's concerning. But I'm hopeful DSJ finds a balance or maybe slides into the bench scoring role that I assumed Allonzo Trier would fulfill (that's if Fiz doesn't give Zo a shot at the role). Smith put up 4 points (1/5 shooting), 3 assists and 2 boards with 3 turnovers...tough night, give him time.

RJ: RJ Barrett looks like a prize, point blank. He's a college freshman aged rookie with an NBA vet's strength and poise. He was the Knicks best playmaker by a wide margin, played good defense, chased down boards and found ways to score in spite of struggling with his shot. The rookie posted 12 points, 6 assists and 7 rebounds with 2 TO's. RJ also added 2 steals and a block, and it wasn't just stat sheet defense. He has been a pleasant surprise on the defensive end all preseason. The new wrinkle we got last night was playmaking. With DSJ's foul trouble, Fizdale allowed Barrett to run some PG and he handled the role pretty well. These moments showed off that we probably want to put the ball in RJ's hands and give him creation opportunities for chunks of time...let's develop that! I do have to point out the bad though. RJ's shot is the known issue and he struggled with that again last night. Barrett went 4/14 from the field and 0/3 from three over 39 minutes. He's not forcing things, I'm optimistic the efficiency will come around, but for now that's the big work in progress.

Morris: It felt like Marcus Morris took more shots than he did for me. The guy is a bucket but he also isolates heavily, so it's easy to lose track of how much or how little he's dominating the ball. Whether he seems like he's forcing the issue or not though, he's been productive every time out point blank. Morris went 5/11 including 1/3 from three, totaling 14 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists to 1 TO. Mook also supplied 2 blocks and was solid defensively all night. He's a steady scoring presence with defense to back it up and that's a fine role for him to fill.

Randle: I feel like Julius Randle's play wasn't as good as his statline suggests but it also wasn't bad, it was just inconsistent. There would be a stretch of play where Randle attacks the lane and finishes, attacks the lane and finds an open man, then finds the ball in motion and scores again...then there would be a stretch where he dribbles into traffic repeatedly with no positive results. It was the same deal defensively, where there were periods of Randle giving way too much space in screen and roll situations but then other moments where he made rotations that I wasn't expecting. The statline makes Randle look like a juggernaut though. He posted 20 points, 8 boards and 2 assists to 2 TO's along with 2 blocks and a steal on 6/12 shooting plus 7/9 from the free throw line. The thing is, Randle had the ball in his hands A LOT and especially initiated the offense often. From that perspective the 2 assists is too low and the mixed bag defense wasn't good enough. He looks like he'd make a really solid number two option but running the offense through him isn't working so far. Bare in mind though, it's the third game of the preseason and a new role for him; these growing pains could end up worth it considering how productive he was. He's not as far away from making this work as a handful of frustrating isolations might make you think.

Portis: I'll preface this with a simple statement, I don't like the Randle/Portis tandem because the interior defense suffers and our pick and roll defense is exploitable. But I like both as individual players to fit in a rotation and from a pure productivity standpoint, I can't argue with the results. Bobby Portis put up 16 points and 7 boards with 1 assist to 1 TO while shooting 6/12 but struggling from three where he went 1/4 including a forced three ball very late in the game down 2 points. Portis flashed good hands on dump offs, which helped when Randle and RJ drove into a crowd. Bobby also got some tough boards and made his post ups count. The bad on the offensive end in this one mostly comes down to being in a line-up with two other post up bigs while his three ball wasn't landing. Portis can produce, but he needs the ball in his hands the same as Morris and Randle...that takes the ball out of the guards hands too often and allows for easy collapsing. Defensively, Portis kinda hamstrings pick and roll defense to the tune of everyone guarding Trae Young picking up fouls rapidly. Portis HAS to slow down the guard as they come through the screen, it's a simple adjustment that he didn't make until Fizdale went full on trapping the ball handler.

Frank: Frank Ntilikina started the game shaky with quick fouls and differing to the aforementioned big men. Ntilikina would push the pace and then just pick out whichever big had the best size mismatch, then feed that big man and move away. That's the tentativeness that frustrates Frank's supporters and detractors alike. It was in the second half that Frank really got into his bag though. His first stint of the second half was marked with finding more players in motion from off ball action rather than feeding them for Iso's. Then he came back with around 5 minutes left and shut down Trae Young. The Hawks offense is still massively relient on Young, so those stops sparked a comeback. The problem with Frank even during that stint was that he couldn't keep the defense honest in the half court. The Hawks packed the paint and Frank fed the bigs again, who forced the ball again and the offense was stagnant enough to fail at a comeback. Either Frank has to draw his defender back on him to make space or he has to get the ball back from the bigs so they aren't forcing shots in traffic. At least get the ball back and swing it to the weakside. At the end of the day, Frank has to keep having faith in his jumper...he'll either be a jumper away his whole career or the jumper will start falling and he'll be a permanent rotation player.

Ellington: Wayne Ellington is a gunner. He runs hard off ball and if he has an inch, he takes a shot. That's who he is and it contributes to better spacing for everyone, but can also lead to some ugly games when the shot isn't falling. Wayne put up 5 points, a steal and 2 TO's on 2/8 shooting and 1/7 from three. It wasn't pretty at all. Wayne tried to attack a couple of pick and rolls which resulted in a couple of ugly possessions and TO's, but he HAS to do that from time to time. The more problematic part is the terrible three point shooting...he's here so he can make those and when they're not falling it's impossible to justify why he'd be on the floor over Allonzo Trier or Damyean Dotson. That said, Trier hasn't proven himself to be ready for a true off ball shooter role and Dotson has that should situation. I want Zo to get another, legitimate crack at this role but I'd preach patience with Ellington. He's a microwave, so you're always a shot or two away from this guy going NBA jam fire levels of knocking them down...also I love when players move off the ball with purpose which is how this vet plays all the time. So give Trier a look but keep an open mind with Ellington and the true answer for this role might still be recovering from offseason surgery.

Kevin Knox: Full name treatment for this young man because even shooting poorly, he showed everything I'm looking for from his development as a player. Knox was a young rookie with poor vision, decision making and a lack of balance but showed potential to score from all levels and good rebounding. Last night his vision and decision making were much improved; the core strength held up on drives; and while Knox was still inefficient he was a legit long ball threat who got to the line when players chased him out of the long range. In 20 minutes, Knox put up 11 points, 2 assists and 2 rebounds on 2/8 from the field, 2/6 from three and 5/6 from the line. Like Randle, Knox's stat-line doesn't tell the whole story. His ability to be a floor stretching forward was a welcome addition to the isolation and post heavy offense that came from everyone else in the front court besides a bit from Taj (more on that in a second). The team's best spaced line-ups are probably going to involve Knox and the fact that he's now spotting open guys when the defense collapses means that he's a threat to shoot, drive, draw the foul and now also a threat to find the open shooter or cutter. He's still extremely young...this is the tip of the iceberg. Defensively, he didn't stand out which is an improvement over last year where he only stood out there when he made mistakes. I'll take mediocre to average defense and that offensive contribution all day. As a matter of fact, I'd like Knox to get a chance to start in the last preseason game. If anyone has earned that opportunity, it's Knox.

Taj: The Taj Gibson theme for this preseason continued...Taj should probably get more minutes. Gibson only played for 13 minutes but went 3/4 from the field, made his only 3 pointer (also hit a long jumper with his foot on the line) and contributed 8 points, 2 boards, 2 assists and consistently solid defense that the starting frontcourt couldn't provide. The other new bigs are young vets with more to learn, Taj is the old dog who knows his role and plays it perfectly. The closing minutes when the offense came down to one pass and an isolation; I think Taj replacing one of Portis or Randle changes that...speculation of course. Anyway, there isn't too much to say here. Taj gets limited minutes, looks good and goes back to the bench. I feel like that's his rightful role later on in the season, but this team needs to learn how to close games with poise and that was lacking last night. I'd like Gibson to get a chance to help with that issue.

Mitch: Two disappointing games led to a bench role for Mitch and while there was some improvement, he still hasn't captured the magic of his rookie campaign. Robinson came in and quickly tallied a block, plus grabbed some boards although his hands both on boards and some feeds were shoddy. He posted some numbers with his limited time though. In 18 minutes, Mitch offered up 4 points, 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks on 2/3 shooting. Most importantly though, the second round steal had no fouls in that span. Foul trouble has ruined his first two campaigns and he seemed aware of it while still managing 2 blocks. It's way too soon to stress over a sophomore slump. Some players are slow starters and with Mitch, so much is predicated on timing that you could argue he'd be a prime candidate to need some extra time to straighten things out. His energy and pace seeming off could also come down to building competitive play stamina and chemistry with new teammates. That he looked better next to a real vet like Taj, with less defensive holes to try and cover for as well as in a more ball movement friendly line-up gives me some optimism about that being the case. Considering how flawed the starting front court was defensively and how stagnant the offense was regardless of ball handler in these cases, I think Mitch ought to head right back into the starting unit. But the entire rotation needs better balance and Mitch could be an example of why that is with his marked improvement last night.

Fiz: I see a lot of red flags but there's plenty to rationalize around it, so we can choose glass is half full or glass is half empty here. The good is that the pace is up, the defensive intensity was back (especially late) and the rotations have been tightened. Fiz has trotted out 10 main guys to mix and match a night rather than giving us spot minute check ups on players where we don't learn anything meaningful (this did sort of happen to Iggy but he's about it). Benching Mitch is likely a necessary evil after two really rough games in terms of foul trouble and misplaced efforts. There's also plenty of sharing the opportunities. While the ball is sticking, everyone is getting their turn with 4 players in double-digit FGA's but a max of 14 takes for any one guy. That said, there's plenty to worry about too. It's hard to imagine Allonzo Trier getting so few opportunities this preseason when the offense has stagnated often and the isolation stuff plays to his biggest strength. Knox has been the most promising player outside of RJ but still isn't getting the minutes like it. Frank Ntilikina, for better or worse, has been the Knicks best PG in all three games but still hasn't been rewarded a start. It's not just that the youth could get more opportunities, it's that I think we might actually be better that way. The depth and log jams should mean that when Ellington is 1/6; we give Trier or Dotson a look. When Bobby Portis or Julius Randle forces two straight possessions, we can pull him for Taj to settle things down and get back to ball movement. That hasn't happened. On the "could be bad, could be nothing" front there's the lack of any offensive system right now. The team seems to just rely way too often on isolations up top for whoever they think has a mismatch. That led to too much Randle or Portis orchestrating when the guards could set those guys up to act more quickly before the defense rotates or closes the lanes. We still need more set plays to get some guys going too, the Knicks ran a couple that worked but a couple of plays over the course of a game is way too few. It's early, we have a ton of new guys and the young guys still have a lot to learn...but it's worth noting the red flags, especially ones that carry over from last season. The lack of a cohesive offense ran for 82 games last season, through summer league and now into the preseason. That doesn't mean anything definitive but it worries me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »

Trier, Dot, .......... can round out our back court.

who?

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: October 17, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: October 17, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »

The Randle and Portis interior tandem leaves a lot to be desired defensively.

I thought that was obvious.
And one of the reasons I don't see Portis at C.

Portis can produce, but he needs the ball in his hands the same as Morris and Randle...that takes the ball out of the guards hands too often and allows for easy collapsing.

We added 3 PF's in FA who have significant overlap.
I didn't think Morris was needed, and we got him in a somewhat shady manner. 

Randle is an odd player.
Sometimes he looks unstoppable.  And everything is working.
Other times he crashes into folks and/or just flings the ball towards the rim.  But I didn't see him too much last year, so willing to watch with fresh eyes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:12:20 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
PHAROAH--The Return Of The Prodigal Son
« Reply #7806 on: October 17, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »

Great analysis as always dude. 

If Marc Berman is implicated in the Ukraine thang, you should at the very least get a Weekly Report Card Column. 

Fizz?

Clearly the emphasis has been on defense, and we see some progress there.  Some brain farts, but the effort was palpable, and we didn't lay down and die in the fourth. 

Offensively, not having settled on a PG is one thing.  Secondly, while I am loving RJ (and Knox), I was baffled by the over-reliance on Ellington, who when hot is a miracle, and when cold, well, not so much.  He is playing D.  Trier, as you point out, when we are in a half court/ISO mode, is capable of creating his own shot, or opening things up for the bigs to get easier looks down low.  And Dotson, when ready, deserves a big chunk of the minutes going to Ellington. 

Third, RJ is a PLAYA.  We know about his journey in terms of treys and FTs, but he plays mature, D's up, makes good decisions.  I think at some point, a RJ/DOT backcourt might give us a good defensive/inside-outside look. 

Finally, I know this is the modern NBA, but in the fourth last night, we forced too many early treys, too early in the clock; to much one on one; too much iso.  Clearly, the PG penetrating and breaking down the D, keeping motion and ball movement is critical. 

Having said that, being inconsistent on offense, and showing grit on D, at this point in time, I'll take it. 

Pelicans on Friday a really good test with Holiday and Ball to test our PGs, and Zion to make our bigs man up. 

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: October 17, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »

The Randle and Portis interior tandem leaves a lot to be desired defensively.

I thought that was obvious.
And one of the reasons I don't see Portis at C.

Portis can produce, but he needs the ball in his hands the same as Morris and Randle...that takes the ball out of the guards hands too often and allows for easy collapsing.

We added 3 PF's in FA who have significant overlap.
I didn't think Morris was needed, and we got him in a somewhat shady manner. 

Randle is an odd player.
Sometimes he looks unstoppable.  And everything is working.
Other times he crashes into folks and/or just flings the ball towards the rim.  But I didn't see him too much last year, so willing to watch with fresh eyes.

An odd take you continue to run with on Morris. 

Shady?

WTF does that have to do with the price of bread? 

It would seem that MM's agent was advancing one narrative, and MM was not on the same page.  Shit happens.  We may never know for sure.

As for the WE DON'T NEED HIM part, well, we don't agree on that at all. 

Having said that, I think Pharoah's observations about Taj are right on the money, and there should be more opportunities for his to glean minutes, both with Mitchell, and where he might better balance some combo of Portis-Randle-Morris. 

Mitch-Taj-MM
Taj-Portis-Knox

We shall see. 

PS: Morris > D > Good > Needed

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: October 17, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »

Ball?  Is he any good?

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: October 17, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »

Ball?  Is he any good?

Now that he has escaped from the Lakers and his fucking father, and is paired with Jrue Holiday and has gotten healthy, he has a shot.  Might even be evolving a shot at a shot to go with his D, not unlike that Frenchman with the long arms, though at this point in time, Frank's shot and sense of decisiveness lag considerably. 

Stick with Jimmer and Monk.  More your speed. 

And Grandpa, let's hear again about how underrated Jordan Hill was. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: October 17, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »

Morris should be one of the better Knix, and I like his toughness and all-around game.  BUT, I'd rather see the minutes go to Knox and Portishead.  They'll be around longer.  Morris is what 30(?) and looking to cash in next Summer.  Which isn't the best for team chemistry, which the Morris twins ain't known for already.
We'll see if any clash or selfishness develops.
Alternatively, I would have been up for a 3 year deal for Morris and not taken on Portis.  But Portis is young so that play makes sense.  Still I wouldn't have overloaded on FA F's..

I never liked Elf or Ellington, but I'm willing to give them a fresh shot to see what they can contribute.  Of course they could find it easier to fit in if thievery wasn't unsettled and everybody new and trying to fit in somehow.

Randle is interesting but I always felt he wasn't an easy player to fit a team around.

I haven't seen Barrett or any preseason yet.

The specter of weak guard play, iso Bigs and iffy D seems to loom over this season.  As for Fizz, another year to develop something and players and try to make an odd roster cohere.  I don't start clocking him until next year, mid-season.  Last season and this are on the front office.  With a better roster and more continuity he'd be a better coach.  I'll be patient with Fizz all year. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Fizdale
« Reply #7811 on: October 17, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »

Keep him the whole year.   Continuity is important, especially with a team of players on their first contract.  Re-evaluate next offseason when a fresh batch of coaches will become available
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: October 17, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »

Fizz should lean on Mike Miller who has a knack for pulling cohesive executable effective game plans out of his ass amid constantly shifting personnel.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: October 17, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »

We farked up, that's so f-in' what . . .

If we start Elfin, we're in trouble.
He's a quality backup PG.
I never got much of a read on Jr. Smith.
I didn't see him play with NYK much.
It'd be disappointing if Elf is our best PG.

I'd like to see Jr. Smith push the pace with Barrett flying along and Randle rumbling behind.  Mitch gets down court nicely too.
Early offense.  Get some easy buckets.  Randle is quite good on the break.

Look at Elfrid’s game log from last season

Only question is will Fiz give him the liberty
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: October 17, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »

Mudiay 12 and 6 in 21 minutes

Monk 18 and 7 in 23
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1847