Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 916528 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #8760 on: November 19, 2019, 10:07:25 PM »

But...

28-8 assists to turnovers in the last 6

2.75-1 for the season

0.2 win shares, 0.0 VORP

Gettin better

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: November 19, 2019, 10:17:26 PM »

But...

28-8 assists to turnovers in the last 6

2.75-1 for the season

0.2 win shares, 0.0 VORP

Gettin better

Not to blow your mind by invoking Ball The Lonzo, but in games I've watched there are a lot of things he does that do not necessarily show up in a box score. 

Yes, a more advanced talent. 

However, also, a streaky shooter, a very streaky shooter, who when the fruit isn't falling, makes up for it with defense and court vision and getting his team mates into rhythm, even if it does not translate to the ledger as an actual assist. 

Frank has a long way to go as a shooter. 

But even when he is clanking, more often than not he looks decisive, rather than tentative. 

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: November 19, 2019, 11:17:45 PM »

But even when he is clanking, more often than not he looks decisive, rather than tentative.

But not creative!   There's almost no guile in his game.  Few fakes or crossovers, no eurosteppin layups, nothing to ooh and ahh about.  I can take losses if they're entertaining.  I can't take losing and being boring.

I saw DSJ throw like 5 lobs to Mitch Robinson and then Frank got the message and threw him 1.

He's not offensively minded and SORRY that's your job if you're a PG.   

You're no Avery Bradley/Pat Beverley yet and they're not PGs either.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:26:44 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: November 20, 2019, 01:33:03 AM »

But not creative!   There's almost no guile in his game.  Few fakes or crossovers, no eurosteppin layups, nothing to ooh and ahh about.  I can take losses if they're entertaining.  I can't take losing and being boring.

I saw DSJ throw like 5 lobs to Mitch Robinson and then Frank got the message and threw him 1.

He's not offensively minded and SORRY that's your job if you're a PG.   

You're no Avery Bradley/Pat Beverley yet and they're not PGs either.

Point taken, and yes, those are attributes that bespeak what the Knicks are expecting out of Dennis Smith. 

HOWEVER...that's PART OF YOUR JOB IF YOU'RE A PG. 

I believe that you are seriously underestimating what it means to have a steady hand at the rudder, albeit without all of that offensive, Steph Curry/Steve Nash PG offensive aggression that defines the modern PG.  Not to mention DEFENSE.  HELLO. 

While a Kyrie Irving type (when healthy) is certainly a more dynamic, galvanizing presence moving forward, and one that any Knicks fan would lust after...

Two of the more impactful, winning point guards we've had in the past twenty years did not get the job done by being offensive firestorms, Kam. 

Admittedly, not very sexy, nor in tune with your idealized conception of guile, but boring-ass Charlie Ward and Pablo Prigioni were winners. 

Meanwhile, let's see how much Frank and Dennis's contrasting skill sets rub off on each other in the next month or so, shall we. 

PS: Yes, hard to watch bad asses such as Ja Morant, Trae Young and Luka Doncic, and then linger on Frank's considerably more passive, modest skill set.  Them's the breaks.  But reflect if you might on how Frank competed with the sexier Sexton in our most recent victory and how he contested the prodigious Doncic in two wins.  I mean, holding Doncic to a 30-10-10 stat line is akin to a moral victory, but in a bit of irony, despite Luka's MVP/Oscar Robertson-stat line, we won both games with Frank.  Celtics used to have this guy, name of KC Jones, who was every bit as boring as Frank, but...well, he has a few rings. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:35:23 AM by chipstern »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: November 20, 2019, 03:34:42 AM »

So I see an article highlighting that Melo scored 10 in his debut, and was 2-3 of 3's.  Then a bit later down they mention 5 fouls and a team worst -20.  They didn't even bother to get to the 5 turnovers and zero assists.

Just one game, with Lillard out, but seems closer to horrible than good. 

I don't really care about Melo one way or the other.
Though I suspect he's old and spent and won't be much help.
I'm rooting for it to slowly fail solely because I want POR to be desperate for a PF from Dec 15 on.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: November 20, 2019, 06:00:00 AM »

Fizdale was asked at Knicks practice on Tuesday how regularly he speaks to Dolan.

"Every game, every game. Jim Dolan comes in and gives me a vote of confidence, a pat on my back and really has just been incredibly encouraging over the last year and a half or whatever it's been," Fizdale said. "All we talk about is just sticking to the process of making these guys better and building for a future of sustainable winning."
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: November 20, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »

The 2-3 from Melo is promising.  That is what he is there for.  I see him staying the year in POR (minutes may var) and signing somewhere else for next campaign.

I guess for now we slip in Phoenix as a playoff team in place of the Blazers.  PHO-LAL would be an interesting first round

jaqdavisone

• View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: November 20, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »

Sorry guys Frank is growing on me, I am liking that he is slowly getting his confidence.  Frank can shoot, Frank can pass, Frank can orchestrate an offense, Frank can play defense.  To me it seems he has no confidence.  Fizz should be in his ear at every practice egging him to shoot and shoot with confidence like every shot was going in.  You can't keep yanking him out of the game because he doesn't shoot, get in his ass.  The more I watch him he reminds me of a young Bruce Bowen except Bowen couldn't shoot a lick, but with confidence started hitting them shots.  Give the keys to Frank build his confidence and lets win some games.  I got a feeling we gonna take this game in Philly.  :D

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: November 20, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »

PS: Yes, hard to watch bad asses such as Ja Morant, Trae Young and Luka Doncic, and then linger on Frank's considerably more passive, modest skill set.  Them's the breaks. But reflect if you might on how Frank competed with the sexier Sexton in our most recent victory and how he contested the prodigious Doncic in two wins.  I mean, holding Doncic to a 30-10-10 stat line is akin to a moral victory, but in a bit of irony, despite Luka's MVP/Oscar Robertson-stat line, we won both games with Frank.  Celtics used to have this guy, name of KC Jones, who was every bit as boring as Frank, but...well, he has a few rings.

Already been established - Frank does NOT check the opposition's PG most of the time.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: November 20, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/vernon-carey/

WOW!  I really like this kid

NBAdraft.net has his comp as Sabonis.  Fits after seeing him one time.  Left handed - runs the floor, blocks, affects shots - good FT shooter.

Dad was a #1 pick and played 8 years for Dolphins.

VERNON CAREY JR - remember him.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: November 20, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »

Sorry guys Frank is growing on me, I am liking that he is slowly getting his confidence.  Frank can shoot, Frank can pass, Frank can orchestrate an offense, Frank can play defense.  To me it seems he has no confidence.  Fizz should be in his ear at every practice egging him to shoot and shoot with confidence like every shot was going in.  You can't keep yanking him out of the game because he doesn't shoot, get in his ass.  The more I watch him he reminds me of a young Bruce Bowen except Bowen couldn't shoot a lick, but with confidence started hitting them shots.  Give the keys to Frank build his confidence and lets win some games.  I got a feeling we gonna take this game in Philly.  :D

Still has to be a competition of sorts - as Dennis gets his legs - and Payton - the presumed starting PG from the outset, readies himself for....likely January.

I liked DSJ starting off his one fine performance - but Fiz not giving him that nudge stalled progress (read:  DSJ confidence)

But if its going to be Frank - fine - just be willing to start DSJ second half if
a)  we need a boost, we were stale
b)  he earned it with first half minutes

Some games should be 28-20 in favor of Dennis - and some 24-24.  Minimally speaking - with of course the chance DSJ takes the jon down the line.

If he MUFFS it - is incapable - at least you dont go into yet another offseason with a question by his name.

Meanwhile, watch Duke's   TRE JONES rise the draft boards.  If he stays as a late 1, early 2, we have to be on him.  Has the leadershio skills all 3 of our point guards seem to lack - and could be a 10-year Knick.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: November 20, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »

Does anyone know why NBAdraft.net is giving us the #31 overall selection (listed at end of first round) for 2020?

Thanks

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: November 20, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »

Does anyone know why NBAdraft.net is giving us the #31 overall selection (listed at end of first round) for 2020?

Thanks

Never mind - I got it

They have the #31 improperly listed in round 1.  This pick of course currently goes to Charlotte

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Winning
« Reply #8773 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »

Charlie Ward was a great defensive player on a team that played great defense.   
Winning games with scores like 89-83.
Frank and these Knicks can't hold teams under 105.
Thus scoring is MORE important than in CWards' day.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: November 20, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »

Let me know when Robinson becomes Ewing and we acquire an Oakley.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1848