Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899314 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2018, 11:35:25 PM »

JEarl has had some good games and stretches (so has Tim).
JEarl was a more talented player than Tim, while many of his flaws were of the character and self-inflicted variety.  From what I gather, Tim Jr is a genuine hard-worker.

You can match JEarl's good GS series with the playoffs where JEarl was out night-clubbing late and played like ish for the Knickers.
Hard to know when JEarl will show up, and it's becoming less frequent as he ages.

Not sure I get HOU's interest.
JEarl as Eric Gordon insurance?
Maybe Melo put in a good word.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2018, 11:42:01 PM »

They seek a wing defender.   Yeah, he'd be on the court plenty.

Not sure when Melo will be.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2018, 12:29:37 AM »

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/eff6d86f-14b2-3335-bf0c-2cab5cc97610/ss_espn-projects-celtics-to.html

Looks stupid to me, Kiid.

Even if one assumed that they "should have been" a 51 win team in 2017-18, the notion that adding Gordon Hayward will only add 2 games to that total seems bizarre, if one also assumes a full year for Kyrie and any growth for their rookies from last year.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2018, 12:57:10 AM »

Disagree

You arent simply adding Hayward

You add Hayward and subtract (player x)

Same formula with Kyrie minutes.  Someone who was quite effective gets bounced.

Just 240 player minutes in a game.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »

I think there is opponents improvement to consider as well

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2018, 01:09:18 AM »

Hawks sign Alex Len

2 years 8.5

11to89

• View Profile
Team direction
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2018, 01:21:42 AM »

Just a basic comment that I'm pleased to see the Knicks' youth movement. I suppose time will tell which players develop as NYK mainstays, but regardless of next year's record, at least there's the impression of a new start and the hope of a logical potential future direction.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »

I'm not a Tim Jr fan, but that's kinda crazy talk. 
Firts off, it would make more sense to move aging Courtly.
Then we have no G's capable of replacing Tim's scoring (except maybe Burke who seems best as a backup PG).
I really don't like the idea of moving an asset for nothing.
We did that with TyC, Shump, JEarl.  It makes the building process harder. 

The Lakes already have KCP at SG.
You could trade Tim for KCP, but why would the Lakes do that?
LAL need some steady players around LeBJ, not more erratic performers like Hardaway.  Maybe I'm wrong, but on-court isn't Hardaway turning into JEarl? -- an erratic bomber who can get hot and play inattentive D.  And LBJ has seen enough of playing with JEarl.

We have Lee, Mario, Dotson, Mudiay and Frank as functional shooting guards if we move Tim.

While it’s true that the Lakes have KCP and Hart at SG, they are moving as quick as they can into win now mode. This makes Deng’s contract, as useless to them as JoNo’s is to us, a big problem for LA. While expensive, Hardaway is far from useless. With all of LA’s playmakers, Hardaway’s skill set could be a valuable option as someone to get the ball to out in transition, on cuts, or from deep.

We’re not especially focused on winning now. Deng would be a good vet for both Knox and Vonleh to learn from. Adding Deng also gives us 3 major expiring deals to shop or eat the season after in JoNo, Deng, and Lee. We can use that 48 million in cap ballast to attack the market during the 2019 season before 2020 FA season gets started or use the space available in summer 2020 to make moves.

There is zero chance Deng gets run behind LBJ, Kuzma, and Wagner. There is a decent chance Timmy can keep pace with Hart and KCP and thereby carve out some minutes.

Mario at power forward is like Jimmer in the NBA, way out of his depth and in over his head. It’s not a position I want Knox playing at this point. Deng gives us another guy behind Vonleh and Thomas to man the spot ahead of Kevin & Mario while at the same time opening more minutes for those two on the perimeter in more natural positions.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2018, 06:08:57 AM »

I'd trade THJr for Wesley Matthews, an expiring contract and savvy veteran who would get enough PT to be credible in the locker room. The main reason would be I think THJr is taking up too much cap space over the remaining years of his contract.

But I wouldn't do it for Deng without the Lakers first this year. Deng's extra year is basically worth a first rounder because that's what it will take to ditch him. And, as Bo explained, he doesn't really offer enough on the court. I much prefer holding on to Timmy. (Also, the Lakers would prefer cap space to taking on a contract)

There's a lot to like about THJr. I'd be fine building through the draft and not targetting big fish in free agency, in which case keeping him makes some sense, even at the unfortunately inflated price. But if you think the Knicks have a shot at blue chip FA, trading THJr is a worthwhile so you can at least make a pitch at Kyrie-Butler or some such combo.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2018, 06:23:58 AM »

In a Matthews for THJ trade we’d have to give a pick or other asset to balance the deal.

DJ, Barnes, Doncic, THJ, Smith is a very interesting starting 5.

36 million over two years is a lot of salary to shed.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2018, 10:14:23 AM »

In a Matthews for THJ trade we’d have to give a pick or other asset to balance the deal.
36 million over two years is a lot of salary to shed.

Wes will be 32 to start next year; Tim just 26.
We wouldn't need to add an asset.
it's just if they like Tim and we are ready to move on.

If we did such a deal, I'd want a follow-up deal in which we move Wes or Court.  Tim at least in theory takes some of the scoring pressure off of KZ.  Though maybe Burke and Knox can step up(?)

Dallas has an new and somewhat odd starting lineup and a rather  iffy bench. Right now looks like they'd start a Eurook, a 2nd year PG, ancient Dirk, along with DeAndretheGiant and good under-the-radar Barnes.  Not bad but a bit shaky and needs time to marinate.
Then their bench seems to be Dwight Powell, Barea, and aging notgimpybutnotfullyhealthy again Wes.  And a bunch of mystery guys including one from China's restive Far West.
Hmm, I didn't know Brunson (2nd round rook) was born in New Brunswick, NJ.  Lived in Cherry Hill til he was 12.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »

I'd be willing to flip Courtly +  ??  for Wes' expiring.
Give the Mavs a choice of Lance or Baker (or even Muddy, in my view).
We'd only be saving Courtly's next season $13M.
DAL get Courtly for next year (while Doncic learns the NBA), and a useful bench player, preferably Lance).

Certainly not exciting, but we'd allow Tim another year to find himself, move Courtly's money, while Wes is a comparable vet wing.  Also free up a roster spot by tossing in one of Lance/Baker/Mud.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »

Sure, I'd do that as well. But I think Dallas would be less likely to do so than to acquire THJr, even with the extra year. THJr is much more appealing.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2018, 01:34:12 PM »

Maxi Kleber is a solid player for Dallas.

I also like the potential of Collinsworth and Yanhuang

Certainly one of the teams I am interested in watching when they are on
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 1844