Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899185 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #10980 on: February 08, 2020, 11:00:50 AM »

Begley is a bit off key on Russell deal.  It would have taken this year's #1. not just "at least one number one", as he stated.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: February 08, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »

I'm not a draftnik.   I read some brief writeups at most, see no video.  First time I saw RJB play was opening night.

I was interested in getting a 3&D wing in the last 2 drafts.   So I was wondering about one of the Bridges, and Hunter/Culver.

I did want a PG the prior draft and was glad we had a choice of Franc 'n' Smith.

As with Knox,  I was fine trusting the Knick scouts and talent evaluators.  So I got behind Franc and Knox.  Reasonable picks,  but with definite perhaps fatal flaws.

I was one of the few skeptics here noting that RJB was considered a poor shooter and weak defender.   Which unfortunately is true.  He's a good athlete and has his head on right,  but a lot to work on.  Everyone said it was a 3-man draft and we were fine,  but looks like a 2-man draft,  and we have some worries.

Knox was a bit of a risky pick since he was young and known to be raw.   But sometimes you have to take chances.

One real miss was Shai who had late buzz and started moving up the draft board.  Needing a PG Knix should have checked into him diligently. Having Shai instead of Knox would have made a significant difference for NYK.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: February 08, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »

Begley is a bit off key on Russell deal.  It would have taken this year's #1. not just "at least one number one", as he stated.

Maybe Mitch,  Portis,  Franc would have done it.

Or Morris + role players.  MaMo a much better fit for GS and they could resign him for less than Wiggins makes.

So might have been ways to work it without a pick.  Or with a DAL pick in there.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:28:24 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: February 08, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »

Maybe Mitch,  Portis,  Franc would have done it.

Or Morris + role players.  MaMo a much better fit for GS and they could resign him for less than Wiggins makes.

So might have been ways to work it without a pick.  Or with a DAL pick in there.

Golden State wouldn't own bird rights on Mamo.  He would've left for nothing.  They don't have the cap space.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: February 08, 2020, 12:09:19 PM »

Doesn't sound like Marcus was listening to anybody's extension talk

And true - did Golden State even have that space for next year?  You cant extend a guy into space you do not have.

Maybe MM is indeed planning to return to us.  But its been stated as a not so strong year for wings between free agency and draft - so he could get quite a few nibbles.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: February 08, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »

Most analysts shake their heads on Wiggins, but a couple really liked the addition.  GS seems very happy to have him as a gifted piece of the puzzle that "doesn't have to be a star"

Folks like Bo will come back with "well, then he's overpaid", but so what?

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Dubs win
« Reply #10986 on: February 08, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »

It was a terrific trade for GS.  They got a guy (former #1 blah blah blah) who is clearly a better fit than Russell would be when Steph and Klay both return.  Wiggins is no KD, but with the Splash Bros, Draymond, and Wiggy they're loaded once more.  Oh yeah, they also get a probably lotto pick.  Amazing.    KD was going to leave for nothing, and they get a lotto pick and Wiggins out of it.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: February 08, 2020, 12:56:56 PM »

Knicks did all the right things this week.  Reflected in their record on and off the court.
No. The surplus of guards is not an advantage to player development.

Do you really want Smith taking Frank's time?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:02:52 PM by elephant »

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: February 08, 2020, 01:00:11 PM »

Only saw the 1Q.   Elf was the standout with 4 or 5 steals.   

He was great later in the game too.

I'm always saying that when the Knicks play, the opposition guards are almost always better than ours.

And, man, I just get tired of that.

Not the other night. Payton's confidence and authority was palpable. Absolutely led the team.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: February 08, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

I haven't paid much attention to salaries this year.   Scurry & Klay combine for nearly $80M next year.   Add Dray, and those 3 alone make $100M.

I thought after moving Tangelo that they'd have a spare $17M for MaMo.   But it looks like they'd only have $8M or so.   So yeah,  Morris wouldn't work for them.

Would we have been allowed to extend and trade him?   Maybe not since he was on a one year deal.   And I'm notsure if such extensions can be more than 2 years (especially when no Bird rights involved) and MaMo would want a 3 or 4 year contract.

I used to be more up on the CBA, but now I'm just guessing a lot ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Dubs win
« Reply #10990 on: February 08, 2020, 03:06:05 PM »

It was a terrific trade for GS.  They got a guy (former #1 blah blah blah) who is clearly a better fit than Russell would be when Steph and Klay both return.  Wiggins is no KD, but with the Splash Bros, Draymond, and Wiggy they're loaded once more.  Oh yeah, they also get a probably lotto pick.  Amazing.    KD was going to leave for nothing, and they get a lotto pick and Wiggins out of it.

KD?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: February 08, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »

Only saw the 1Q.   Elf was the standout with 4 or 5 steals.   

I'm always saying that when the Knicks play, the opposition guards are almost always better than ours.

And, man, I just get tired of that.

Yeah, need a sniper at that 2 spot

Plenty of options in the draft - possibly to include LaMelo Ball, who can play either guard slot.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: February 08, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »

Buyout season has begun.   At least in CHA.

Marvelous Williams bought out,  plans to sign with MIL assuming nobody claims him.   MIL dropping Bender for the roster spot.  Great cheap vet pickup.

MKG bought out.   DAL his likely landing spot.
Still a good defender.

I read somewhere that NYK might buyout Duke Ellington.   But unclear why.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:19:16 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: February 08, 2020, 03:39:08 PM »

In its Last 2-Minute Report, the NBA cited two errors that disadvantaged the Magic against the Knicks.

First, the league said, the officiating crew failed to see/hear Steve Clifford attempting to call a timeout with 4.4 seconds left.

Second, Elfrid Payton should have been called for a foul for extending his leg and making foot-to-foot contact with Evan Fournier with 4.0 seconds left, leading to a turnover by Fournier. …
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: February 08, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »

Buyout season has begun.   At least in CHA.

Marvelous Williams bought out,  plans to sign with MIL assuming nobody claims him.   MIL dropping Bender for the roster spot.  Great cheap vet pickup.

MKG bought out.   DAL his likely landing spot.
Still a good defender.

I read somewhere that NYK might buyout Duke Ellington.   But unclear why.

Why not?

Seems decision has been made on his team option.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1844