Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 908929 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11085 on: February 11, 2020, 02:37:26 AM »

Knix went in for a lot of duplicative assets. Ellington/Bullocks.
Randle/MaMo
Trier/Dot

So far we've decided Randle over Morris (I assume mostly for age and contract reasons).

Dot seems to have supplanted Trier.

Bullox seems better than El-train. Another rumored buyout  candidate.

While Franc 'n' Smith have opposite skills they both vie for the same backup PG role with neither a credible starter.   So that's another choice that needs to be made.

Franc as an SG strains things.   And yes his shooting liability is compounded with Elf as our starting PG.  Plus we have a lot of SG's.

The main chance that we opt in for Portis is he can make 3's at a decent rate, while we have few others who can.   So if we don't add shooters (draft,  FA, trade,  Portis could be a default option.

One thing interesting about Hark is he plays a role we don't otherwise have (Taj is similar but oldish and a size up)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:46:59 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: February 11, 2020, 03:13:15 AM »

With a salary cap in place, the opportunity cost of Portis at $15M flows in the opposite direction you imagine.   Opting in on Portis means we don't have that money to spend on a better player.  A starting level player.   One who fits better next to Randle.

I'm willing to overpay for a quality starter,  especially a PG.   Which is why I didn't flinch at CP3's salary.   

But when you pay $15M to inconsistent backups,  you hamper your team.

There's a reason Portis was being shopped and some vague talk of buyout surrounded him...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: February 11, 2020, 03:49:23 AM »

Here’s the list, Bo,

http://hoopshype.com/2020/01/20/nba-free-agency-2020-the-top-players/

Who are your top 3 unrestricted guys or guys likely to decline player options you’d sign instead with that money?

If you are only keeping one, do you keep Taj for 10 mil or Bobby for nearly 16?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: February 11, 2020, 08:19:17 AM »

I like the idea of Frank starting at the 2 next year

You mean if he, like, figures out how to shoot much better?

Because we're seeing that Payton can do his thing, but he needs guys who can reliably put the ball in the hoop. 

That hasn't been Frank.

Well, we wouldnt be looking to win the NBA title next year.  I know Elf/Frank as a starting duo is problematic, which is why I have the FA point guard listed - and also hold out for the possibility a drafted guard could start.

I see Frank as a Terrance Ferguson (OKC).  Ferg actually shoots LESS than Ntlikina.  And is a warrior defender.  But you are right - we need scoring at the other 4 spots for this to take shape,  Cant have a one dimensional Mitch and a 25% 3-point shooting PG playing at the same time.  IDEALLY, that is - and again - we seek 40-44 wins, not a title the first full year post DF,  Lineup likely wont be perfect
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:02:32 AM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: February 11, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »

Re:  buyouts

Looks like Portis staying - Ellington still deciding.  Not sure if anyone else was offered one.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: February 11, 2020, 08:29:01 AM »

Knicks with just one game this week (WED) and next (FRI).  Good time for Miller to put some stuff in.

jaqdavisone

• View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: February 11, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »

From that list believe it or not,  I'd take Kanter or Whiteside, along with Malik Beasley and Kris Dunn.  I like Dunn as the PG, Beasley can shoot and defend.  What we've been lacking this year even under Fizzdale was low post scoring.  A player who can get us two points while running the clock when we have a lead.  We continuously hoist up 3 pointers when we have a substantial lead and it always let the other team back in the game.   If Kanter can't do nothing else he can get you some low post buckets, as can whiteside.  The myth nowadays is you need your center to shoot threes, to me thats bullshit my PF can shoot threes but I need my center to man the paint and get some low post buckets.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »

I saw an article where Portis was quoted saying he would never take a buyout,  that he wants to finish what he starts, that he'd probably be the youngest to ever get bought out.   Left unsaid was it would likely hurt his FA this Summer.   But I liked his fighting spirit anyway.   He could boost his value if he went to a contender and contributed, but you can also get lost in the shuffle and new system easily enough, or not get minutes, etc.

Let's see if the buyout talk and this bring pretty clearly a contract year now lights a fire under Portis.   But he usually plays hard,  just not always smart. 

I'm a Taj fan.   Always need some savvy vets and lockerroom reliables.

MaMo seemed to be our leader.   I think now it's Taj.

Btw,  I think its nonsense to buy out Portis.   Duke can be bought out if he wants.

Clyde cryptically mentioned that there were rumors some Knix wanted to be traded.
Anyone have names.   I would guess Trier and Jr Smith.   Others?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11094 on: February 11, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »

Looks like Mavs are waiving  Ryan Broekhoff

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: February 11, 2020, 09:24:23 AM »

If team president Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry were coming back next season, Miller had a shot to return if his record got to be around .500. But Mills is gone, Perry may be demoted or fired and incoming president Leon Rose is prepared to make a flashy coaching hire after the season. According to NBA insiders, ex-Knicks assistant Tom Thibodeau and former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy are expected on Rose’s short list. – via Marc Berman @ New York Post

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: February 11, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »

A guy like Taj, Hark, to a lesser extent Randle you know what you are getting every night. 

Taj's consistency and effort is unusually high. Old school. I like him a lot. For us, I don't think he's a significant component, but I could see him making a difference for a contender. I was surprised he wasn't traded last week.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: February 11, 2020, 12:55:00 PM »

Contenders dont have 10 million dollar guys floating around to trade back.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: February 11, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »

A guy like Taj, Hark, to a lesser extent Randle you know what you are getting every night. 

Taj's consistency and effort is unusually high. Old school. I like him a lot. For us, I don't think he's a significant component, but I could see him making a difference for a contender. I was surprised he wasn't traded last week.

Young teams need good veterans to learn good habits from.   Taj is a great locker room guy whose production on the court is still significant enough that his voice in the locker room carries weight. 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: February 11, 2020, 01:52:25 PM »

Yep.  In fact per Hoopshype Atlanta may be looking at Harkless
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1847