Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899558 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11220 on: February 16, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »

You don't pass on a guy like RJ Barrett because you took a Kevin Knox last season.  99% of young players drafted into the NBA struggle in their teenage years playing against grown veterans.  So rather than say it was a mistake to take a poor defending rookie after drafting a poor defending rookie one season ago  (Wasn't Frank our defensive investment a year prior?)  for RJ and Kevin lets try to project how strong this DUO will be in 2-3 years.  They already have NBA bodies.  Now they need to work on skills like team defense and passing and rebounding ... skills they weren't known for in High School because they were hoop getters only.

I feel bullish on this duo.  If RJ's future is at the 3, why can't Knox be a stretchy 4?  We're going away from positions anyway.  Teams need guys who on offense can space and guys who can drive.  Knox does both.  He needs to keep getting stronger so when on defense he can push off opposing players the positions on the court where they flourish.  Zion he is not, but even Giannis had the ball yanked away from him when Zion flexed.  I think we should not have signed Portis and instead given all those minutes to Kevin.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:52:19 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

chipstern

• View Profile
BO on NO Deeeee
« Reply #11221 on: February 16, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »

Bo keeps asserting how RJ is a lousy defender.

Not feeling it. 

As for the abject Knox regression everyone is cosigning.

He has improved as a passer....is clearly working on getting to the rack and offering more offensive looks abd wrinkles.

Inconsistent?  There's a surprise. Look at his minutes?  Any pattern, any consistentcy?

So, let's write off a rook and a sophomore.

Meanwhile, leave us sing the praises of Moe Harkless and trade for Chris Paul. 

We appear to disagree.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: February 16, 2020, 05:06:12 PM »

Knox was a typical Mills pick. Next in order regardless of position or need.  His lack of basketball IQ was amazing.  Knix needed shot makers not athletes.

Well, we certainly needed an SF.   I thought Knix went bold taking the 19 year old freshman,  instead of one of the older more polished Bridges.  I hoped they knew what they were doing.   

The guy we missed on was Shai who was getting buzz and moving up draft boards late. Don't know how much we considered him.

Knox was a high risk/high reward pick.   You can see by his physique and motivation why they went for him.   However his motor isn't great,  his BBIQ not there, and his confidence comes and goes.  I was surprised Knix didn't play it safe,  but kinda liked the riskier higher upside pick.

He's trying to develop the 3 as his first solid NBA skill, which could open up more driving and cutting.

I think we gave Knox too many minutes last year.   And too little this year,  partly the roster crunch at F,  but also Miller needing to win to try to keep his job.  And yes, also Knox's lack of doing good things on a basketball court.

SGA

Weaknesses

Thin frame is a real concern when defending power guards/wings. Can get bulldozed by bigger guys
who can put their shoulder into him. Needs to get stronger in the upper and lower body.
Attempting fewer 3s per 40 minutes than Mohamed Bamba. How much can teams trust his jumper when he doesn’t even trust it himself?
Drop step on the ball could improve. Less quick-twitch and more fluid athletically. Will need to make sure he’s positioned correctly so he doesn’t get blown by.
Relies on forward momentum for 3-point shot. Struggles to hit shots from spot-up situations.
Poor pull-up/step-back shooter, at least when he attempts to do things in one motion. Can’t rise into pull-up shot; needs to slow down and stop. Allows defense to recover.
Sometimes communicates poorly when defending pick-and-roll. Needs to make sure he’s switching when he needs to be.
Had turnover issues at times throughout the season (4.3 TOV/40 in November, 3.8 TOV/40 in January). Improved as the year went on, but has to prove he can take care of the ball consistently.
Legitimate questions about how his penetration-dependent game translates to the NBA without an elite first step. Will he be able to get into the teeth of defenses?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: February 16, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »

I have no inclination to try and find month-by-month defensive numbers, but to the eye he’s gotten better at making help plays and securing rebounds and getting things moving up the court. He still blows primary responsibilities way more than is acceptable. He’d benefit from filling out to a Reggie Lewis type physique and matching up more against stretch 4’s.

A little size, especially if it includes a strengthened base, might help him get to spots, hold his ground, and hit more consistently, which would in turn improve his offensive game.

I’m for drafting guys who’s fierce winning mentality and heads-up-ness has lead to exceptional winning for their programs given expectations.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: February 16, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »

I have no inclination to try and find month-by-month defensive numbers, but to the eye he’s gotten better at making help plays and securing rebounds and getting things moving up the court. He still blows primary responsibilities way more than is acceptable. He’d benefit from filling out to a Reggie Lewis type physique and matching up more against stretch 4’s.

A little size, especially if it includes a strengthened base, might help him get to spots, hold his ground, and hit more consistently, which would in turn improve his offensive game.

I’m for drafting guys who’s fierce winning mentality and heads-up-ness has lead to exceptional winning for their programs given expectations.

Word.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Priority #1 find a PG
« Reply #11225 on: February 16, 2020, 10:07:37 PM »

With Rose’s consultation, the Knicks went hard after Golden State scoring point guard D’Angelo Russell at the trade deadline 10 days ago but came up empty. Russell wound up in Minnesota and the Knicks will have to continue their search in the offseason.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: February 17, 2020, 03:41:25 AM »

You don't pass on a guy like RJ Barrett because you took a Kevin Knox last season.  99% of young players drafted into the NBA struggle in their teenage years playing against grown veterans.  So rather than say it was a mistake to take a poor defending rookie after drafting a poor defending rookie one season ago  (Wasn't Frank our defensive investment a year prior?)  for RJ and Kevin lets try to project how strong this DUO will be in 2-3 years.  They already have NBA bodies.  Now they need to work on skills like team defense and passing and rebounding ... skills they weren't known for in High School because they were hoop getters only.

I feel bullish on this duo.  If RJ's future is at the 3, why can't Knox be a stretchy 4?  We're going away from positions anyway.  Teams need guys who on offense can space and guys who can drive.  Knox does both.  He needs to keep getting stronger so when on defense he can push off opposing players the positions on the court where they flourish.  Zion he is not, but even Giannis had the ball yanked away from him when Zion flexed.  I think we should not have signed Portis and instead given all those minutes to Kevin.

I love this vision, but it's loony in its unfounded optimism. How much of Knox do you need to see? There are lots of young guys throughout the league who snag our attention. They might not have developed a complete game yet, but they do certain things impressively, fiercely. Sometimes it impacts a game right away; other times, it's just glimpses that make you wonder what kind of force they'll be in the future.

Where do you see that with Knox?

Right now, he's simple struggling to have a decent NBA career. This idea that he might one day be a star, or even a starter, requires more than just "getting stronger." Yeah, he's still super young. But we've seen enough to know that, at this point, the odds are not in his favor.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:43:56 AM by elephant »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: February 17, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »

I love this vision, but it's loony in its unfounded optimism. How much of Knox do you need to see? There are lots of young guys throughout the league who snag our attention. They might not have developed a complete game yet, but they do certain things impressively, fiercely. Sometimes it impacts a game right away; other times, it's just glimpses that make you wonder what kind of force they'll be in the future.

Where do you see that with Knox?

Right now, he's simple struggling to have a decent NBA career. This idea that he might one day be a star, or even a starter, requires more than just "getting stronger." Yeah, he's still super young. But we've seen enough to know that, at this point, the odds are not in his favor.

He is 20.5 years of age.  Let him grow.   He showed flashes last season of his uber-athleticism (Knicks never have any gazelles and here we have one) and he has shown this year that he can be a team player, throwing lobs and swatting shots.  I don't see the rush to judge him as a bust while we give the older Ntilikina every benefit of any and all doubt.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Jay Wright
« Reply #11228 on: February 17, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »

Rose / Cho  / Wright

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »

You don't pass on a guy like RJ Barrett because you took a Kevin Knox last season.

I'm not sure RJ Barrett is what you think he is.
Looks to me like a 2-man draft and RJB was in the next tier.
So we could have pulled Kiid's favored trade down and snagged a Culver or Hunter and got something extra.

I feel like our draft position suckered us into not getting what we needed.
In the last two drafts we should have gotten one solid 3&D wing.  Either Bridges and RJ Barrett or Knox and Hunter/Culver.  Two high draft picks and we didn't get a defender or a 3 point shooter.

I feel bullish on this duo.  If RJ's future is at the 3, why can't Knox be a stretchy 4?  We're going away from positions anyway.

That's how I see it panning out if we continue forward with both of them.
With Knox as the 3 baller and RJB the cutter/driver.  Might even be good 5 years from now ...

I think we should not have signed Portis and instead given all those minutes to Kevin.

Portis is/was a youngish guy with variety of talents.  Ultimately we're hoping one of Portis/Knox can be a starter or key rotation guy.  I've grown disenchanted with Portis due to his weak D, inconsistency and dumb plays.  But I still see it as a worthwhile one-year tryout.  Even if it did retard Knox's development this year. And Knox might have underperformed without Portis around.  We can afford to be patient with Knox.  And he got to go up against plenty of vets in practice.
Of course our roster was imbalanced and that didn't help anyone.

I still think most of our players will look better and develop faster with a quality starting PG.  Even Elf has made others and the team look decent.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: February 17, 2020, 08:59:24 PM »

I think it’s time we see Wooten in some capacity. I’m also starting to pull for Obi Toppin falling to us in the Draft.

Rockets did well in filling out their 5 out frontcourt with Carroll and Green.

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: February 17, 2020, 10:06:42 PM »

Frontcourt. That's Rockettes new C rotation!   (I kid)

Worth a look for sure.   If nothing else hope one or both can eat up some regular season mins.   HOU will see if either can still pop some 3's.   DMC did all right for BKY last year.   Not sure why Spurs couldn't find a role for him.  He'll defend and doesn't need the ball,  which is key in HOU. 

Jeff Green is fine enough as long as you font rely on him,  especially in ghd playoffs. He has Tim Thomas disease.   But he can look good some nights.

I assume Dant will prefer Green's scoring and athleticism over DMC.

I think HOU earlier waived Gerald Green.  Is that right?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: February 18, 2020, 02:37:09 AM »

Gerald is gone. I think he’s slated to be out with injury all this year. Enter Jeff to pick up slack.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Redraft 2010s with perfect hindsight
« Reply #11233 on: February 18, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/02/18/new-york-knicks-redrafting-the-last-6-first-rounders-hello-core-4/

The pick: SG Iman Shumpert, Georgia Tech (No. 17 overall)
Redraft: SG Jimmy Butler, Marquette (No. 30 overall)

The pick: SG Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan (No. 24 overall)
Redraft: C Rudy Gobert, France (No. 27 overall)

The pick: C Kristaps Porzingis, Latvia (No. 4 overall)
Redraft: SG Devin Booker, Kentucky (No. 13 overall)

The Pick: Frank Ntilikina, PG France (7)
Redraft: Bam Adebayo, PF/C Kentucky (14)

The Pick: Kevin Knox, SF Kentucky (9)
Redraft: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Kentucky PG/SG (12)

The Pick: RJ Barrett, SG/SF, Duke (3)
Redraft: RJ Barrett

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11234 on: February 18, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »

And then who would be the guys our front office traded them for?

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1844