Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899713 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11565 on: March 20, 2020, 01:41:35 AM »

I hadn't thought of it, but you're right.  I was lucky the main lockdown was during the end of January, cold rainy February and early March.  And just as Spring popped up (really last week) the easing period kicked in.  Though the last 10 years I've predominantly played indoors.

But I always enjoy playing outside in the open air, with trees edging the court, a moon, maybe a couple bats swooping nearby, the big buildings of the city all around.   I never really understood why the NBA season slogged through the Winter, exactly when as a kid I couldn't play, and then ended in April just when you start going out and hooping.  I always assumed it was in deference to the baseball season, which used to be dominant.  But it always seemed oddly mistimed.

Just found out my main gym opened last night (or got approval to open  yesterday).  So hopefully my weekly games will be back on.  Some guys I occasionally play with usually play at the medical school gym, and universities remain closed.  So for last night they switched to play at a nice gym where I have a weekly game.  I messaged them about joining since they needed people, and the guy in charge contacted the gym who said they weren't admitting foreigners!  Take that Donald Trump!

When I went to the park to play last night, I actually stashed my passport into my basketball bag so I could prove that I'd been in China for the last 16 days.  I even put up the hood on jacket so the guards wouldn't easily see I was a foreigner, just in case.  But the two guards were right there at the entrance, and then it took me a long time to get the stupid app working to be able to read the QR code and access the automatic turnstile entrance.  Seemed a problem with the wifi on my phone.  So my quick incognito entrance turned out me standing there for over 5 minutes trying to get my phone to cooperate.

The guards were under no orders to ban foreigners.  Nobody who played acted worried or surprised that I might be Milanese or New Rochellian.  Hoops wasn't very crowded.  There were a handful of guys who played with masks on.  In one game a masked guy guarded me, which was considerate ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: March 23, 2020, 07:28:49 AM »

The China CBA is slated to resume April 15.  There plan to play all games in just two cities, putting half the league in one city, the other half in another.  No fans.  So far about 8 Americans have returned or plan to return to China to play.  They have to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival in China.

Since most live in 4 or 5 star hotels, I wonder how thorough their quarantine will be.  It's not like they'll have an armed guard outside their door.  Will they hit the hotel gym or pool or restaurant after a few days?  The incubation period averages 5.5 days according to research I saw a couple weeks ago.  So it might make sense to have a total isolation quarantine for 7 days and then relax it somewhat the second week.  Allow them within the hotel but must wear a mask and keep distance form others as much as possible.  Probably should still do all meals in room.

I'm surprised so many are willing to go through with that.  Although it's not to get paid, and the virus has largely subsided (for now) in China but is raging in the US.  So China likely safer, and you can easily obtain masks.  And everyone in public wears a mask to protect everyone else.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: March 23, 2020, 07:41:52 AM »

So who do we like in the draft?
There's 5 PG's listed for the lottery.

LaMelo Ball
Cole Anthony
Nico Mannion
Theo Maledon
Ty Haliburton

Thoughts on these guys?
We certainly need shooting and passing.
Cole Anthony?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: March 23, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »

Anthony is quite electric.  Has some T Young in him.

I have also seen Mannion - more of a steady, directing presence - but his dad says Nico isn't entering.

Was thrilled that we would get to see Ball in the D League....  but maybe not.

I really like the bigs Carey and Achiuwa.  Never got to see James Wiseman.

Right now BALL is my pick if available, though I would look at a trade down.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: March 23, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »

This site has some new names and different ramks than nbadraft.net

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft.html

And Tankathon has the updated order

http://www.tankathon.com/full_draft

Seems just Charlotte (8 and 32 for the 6) and Sacramento (12 and 35) would be worth looking at to deal.  But we may not want to add 4 rookies (already have 3 picks in top 38).

Any deal might be pick plus player for the 6.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: March 23, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »

Seems you need to hit the lottery and get a Top 3, likely Top 2, pick to get Ball.

Carey sounds like Randle. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »

Doesnt play so much on the perimeter, though "stepping out" is surely part of his game.  As an offensive board guy you may be correct.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »

Seems you need to hit the lottery and get a Top 3, likely Top 2, pick to get Ball.

Good point

Would we trade UP?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: March 23, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »

When have we traded up/down and been wrong?  Might need some analysis

Takes balls either way, no pun intended

Leon Rose, this is YOUR Knicks year.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: March 23, 2020, 08:57:12 PM »

In the top 4, we should grab the highest rated guy left on our board regardless of position.

In the 7-8 spot, with as many strong guard prospects as there are and a sizable drop off from the top 3 (Edwards, Ball, Hayes - all of which will be gone) to the next 7 or 8, I’d look for a big here and try for a guard with one of the later two. I’d hope one of Wiseman, Okongwu, or Toppin falls.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: March 23, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »

Look closely at Carey.  And consider the Israeli kid.  Luka-lite.

I think we can get a couple good players with our second and third picks - or use them with young players to move up in the draft.

Look at juniors and seniors.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: March 24, 2020, 12:55:54 AM »

I forgot about Deni, the other guy in my top seven.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: March 24, 2020, 03:21:29 PM »

What about Haliburton?
Looks poised and hit his 3's even if his release looks sort of Lonzo Ballish.
Seems to play with energy (or has energy on his highlights).

He could drop into our range because of his wrist injury, which likely wouldn't be an issue.

I don't know these young guys, so i'm just tossing out ideas.
We really could use a dynamic G and/or someone who can shoot.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: March 24, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »

I worry about how Haliburton will hold up to an NBA pounding. If he weighs out at 180 - 185, showing he can add muscle, he’s a top 3 or 4 guard in this draft. At 170-175 I think it will be a problem for him.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: March 25, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »

Here's a mock draft from 3 weeks ago ... when the NCAA season was still ongoing.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878780-2020-nba-mock-draft-updated-projections-for-most-coveted-prospects#slide0
I like that he gives extended write-ups on the players.

Has Wiseman sliding down to 6th, believing teams are reluctant to draft C's up high these days, and a few of the losingest teams don't need a C -- CLE has Bulldog Drummond; ATL with Capela; MINI KAT. 

Of course the draft order isn't set yet.

GSW could take Wiseman, or go for more scoring and look to pick up a vet C cheap.
Either way could work for them. 

Has Knix taking Cole Anthony @ #5.

Says this about Haliburton:
passing IQ, catch-and-shoot ability and versatility playing on and off the ball.  Teams will be hoping to see Haliburton recover in time to work out so they can get a closer look at his jumper's unorthodox mechanics.

I saw him shoot a trio of treys on a highlight reel and noticed that weird form.  Reminded me of ... BallZo.  Made them at a good rate, gets nice elevation and balance, but that release is odd.

KNIX
Has a rather too easy path for the Knix to get Mellow Ball:
With Ball and Russell, Minnesota would have two creative ball-handlers and passers, both of whom are at least 6'5".
Minnesota could also look to trade down with a team like the New York Knicks, who'd likely be willing to give up the No. 5 pick and defensive stopper Frank Ntilikina for a chance to draft Ball.

If only it were so easy.
I assume NYK would gladly dump Franc to get a big talented PG in Ball.
He really should make a case who TWolfs would pick if they dropped down from 3rd to 5th.  Because that's really the issue, as Franc is of minor help.  Toppin, Okongwu, Carey?

Otherwise, he has Mannion dropping to 21.
Carey down at 30.
RJ Hampton at 4
Killian Hayes up at 7.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1844