Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 11:50:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which player in the mix at #9 do you wish most to see as a Knick?
Carter - 4 (40%)
Trae - 2 (20%)
Knox - 0 (0%)
Shai - 0 (0%)
Mikal - 4 (40%)
Sexton - 0 (0%)
BobWill - 0 (0%)
Miles - 0 (0%)
MPJ - 0 (0%)
LW4 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1503
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 197991 times)
lesterdog, chipstern, carlos123, yankguy, kidcarter8 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19590 on: April 16, 2018, 12:19:57 PM »

You cannot answer why Raptors will not be in the conference finals from 2019-2023, as you suggested.

I havent even mentioned the Cavs and 7-8 other worthy teams.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19591 on: April 16, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »

You cannot answer why Raptors will not be in the conference finals from 2019-2023, as you suggested.

I havent even mentioned the Cavs and 7-8 other worthy teams.

Kid it was my opinion that the Celts and 76ers were best situated to be EC Finalists for the next 5 years and I gave you my reasons.

And I allowed for the possibilites of upsets and cited one memorable historic one.

So to rule out any team is folly.

So sure lets say that all the Eastern conferecne teams have a shot at being EC Finalists over the next 5 years.

And that makes for compelling discussion.

Anytime you want to put forth your opinion on contending Eastern Conference teams over that time period, and more importantly why you feel that way, feel free to share your thoughts.

But in the meantine why don't you follow up on your Tatum mocking and explain its genesis, and expand upon your "Knicks will compete" post.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:34:01 PM by bankshot1 » Logged

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19592 on: April 16, 2018, 12:41:40 PM »

seems Koach wants to play dodge-ball, rather than talk about B-ball.

heh

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19593 on: April 16, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »

You keep those Celts pom poms flailing, pal

I think you may have overrated the Tatum "coup".  As I told you you had when it occurred.

Not often you get that juicy #1 overall.

heh
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19594 on: April 16, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »

Bank comes into the World's Greatest Forum and makes demands.

Too funny.

I told you you'd all love him.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19595 on: April 16, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »

Koach, I'm a Celt fan, but I'm not a cheerleader.

that you choose to play dodge-ball rather than to answer some straight forward questions is your choice.

But my guess is that most on this forum understand that you've been nailed with head-shots for the past couple of hours.

always a pleasure chatting koach.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:51:25 PM by bankshot1 » Logged

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19596 on: April 16, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »

Stevens turns into Derek Fisher when the playoffs come

Nice job at the end of regulation there, Bradley.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19597 on: April 16, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »

One wonders if Koach really believes his garbage, or is just scraping #s together to hide behind?

Brad Stevens is 1-8 in the post-season against LBJ/Cavs losing two series to the perennial championship contending team.

To suggest he is a poor post-season coach seems at best wildly premature and short-sighted, but more likely, just an idiotic assessment.

but that's what Elba's village idiot brings to the discussion.  

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
Zupzup

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19598 on: April 16, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »

The problem is not the coach- the problem in my mind is that KP's recovery will be a major and endless serial drama I'm not looking forward to. Yes he is a unicorn, but A- when I look at Davis I see what a real unicorn looks like, and B like I wrote in the past- I doubt he will ever return to 100% coming back from ACL. So imho KP is no savior for this team. I know I'm a real party pooper on this one.
[/quote]

you dont know shit about ACLs.
[/quote]

Why do you assume I don't know shit about ACL's? I happen to be deep in this space for the past 15 years (that's what I do for a living...). It is true that 1 out of 10 ACL reconstructions can go back to full capacity, but those are the exceptions - most pro athletes be it soccer, bball or football are at best at 95% of their past lateral mobility, and in reality even those who fully recover are prone to re-injure... but for sure I hope I'm wrong here...
facilitatorn
Superhero Member

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19599 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »

If KP tries to come back exactly as he was, I think he’ll potentially be in a cycle of re-injury. If he comes back as a big man with a more developed base and less propensity to try and jump over people, less mobile but more formidable, still 7’3” with infinite range, he can be a bell cow on a contender and still preserve his health. The trick will be not to rush him back in but to do physical development work post rehab before returning to the court.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
Nagel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19600 on: April 16, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »

If KP tries to come back exactly as he was, I think he’ll potentially be in a cycle of re-injury. If he comes back as a big man with a more developed base and less propensity to try and jump over people, less mobile but more formidable, still 7’3” with infinite range, he can be a bell cow on a contender and still preserve his health. The trick will be not to rush him back in but to do physical development work post rehab before returning to the court.

agree that is why 2018 should not include KP.  Early 2019 should se his SLOW introduction in to the lineup.

VERY SLOW.

thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19601 on: April 16, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »

The problem is not the coach- the problem in my mind is that KP's recovery will be a major and endless serial drama I'm not looking forward to. Yes he is a unicorn, but A- when I look at Davis I see what a real unicorn looks like, and B like I wrote in the past- I doubt he will ever return to 100% coming back from ACL. So imho KP is no savior for this team. I know I'm a real party pooper on this one.

you dont know shit about ACLs.

Why do you assume I don't know shit about ACL's? I happen to be deep in this space for the past 15 years (that's what I do for a living...). It is true that 1 out of 10 ACL reconstructions can go back to full capacity, but those are the exceptions - most pro athletes be it soccer, bball or football are at best at 95% of their past lateral mobility, and in reality even those who fully recover are prone to re-injure... but for sure I hope I'm wrong here...

Haha. You've been kidsplained.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:06:37 PM by thebizneverloses » Logged
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19602 on: April 16, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »

right now the Celts and 76ers will likely be playing in the ECF  for the next 2-5 years.

So, like Kid, I don't get this.

"Right now" - does that mean nobody else makes any moves?

And I don't get how you can prognosticate with any foresight five years into the future. Nobody knew the Heat were getting their Big Three two years before it happened. Nobody knew Durant would leave. Nobody knew Lebron was going back to Cleveland and they'd own the conference finals. Nobody saw Golden State dominating the whole damn league without any top five picks. Nobody knew the Spurs would consistently be great (ok, maybe that one we could have guessed).

Saying two teams will dominate the next two years is gutsy - the Celtics probably lose in the first round last year if not for the Rondo injury, and we'd be talking Stevens (and his proclivity towards unpredictable rotations) rather differently had they lost early year and then, mostly due to injuries, had a short playoff run this year with an improved team.

Young teams don't tend to make long playoff runs...I'll still take Toronto over all the teams in the East this year. Next year, they're still probably bringing everyone back.

What if Giannis develops a jump shot? What if Maker makes a leap, and then another leap, and becomes the MVP player KG predicts? What if Kawhi ends up traded to one of the East teams not mentioned in a Kyrie type heist? What if the next Donovon Mitchell goes to an Eastern team? What if Ayton or Doncic are much better than we think? What if Simmons doesn't develop a jump shot? What if Boston never gets a rim protector and Horford starts to decline? What if Toronto is just as good next year, except Poeltl or Siakam becomes a top-40 player? Where is Lebron going to be next year? Who's joining him? What if it's in the East, but not with Philly or Boston?

What if Brown or Stevens lose the locker room because the young players haven't learned to lose (and learn from losing) yet? Most importantly, what about the history of injuries Kyrie and Embiid have...you can't simply say I'm not going to count injuries as wildcards because with Philly in particular it is always part of the equation.

Any of those could happen. A bunch might happen! Even within the next two years, let alone the next five.

To talk as if the league's future is already written is pretty ridiculous.

Here's my prediction: Boston and Philly won't play each other in the conference finals next year. I'll take the field against one of them. Easy bet. I'll make the same bet the following four years. I'll probably be right three times.
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19603 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »

Shame Trevon Duval and Trent Jr are going pro (they're vulnerable to ending up in a bad spot and out of the league quickly), but I get not wanting to play behind freshman.

Wendell Carter entering the draft is good for the Knicks.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19604 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »

biz

"Right now"

means knowing what you know right now about the teams in the East what would you predict?

I think the only qualifier I used was (re the Knicks) no major FA signing in '18-19.

But knowing what I know, I liked the current personnel and youth and draft/trade options RIGHT NOW that position both the Celts and 76ers very well for the intermeditate term.

I think the coming rivalry is going to rival the 60s and 80s rivalries.

You can apply as many what ifs as you like, trades, injuries, stars wanting out, etc, but right now, I wouldn't at all be surprised if both the Celts and 76ers won titles over the next 5 years.

would you?

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1503
  Print  

Jump to: