Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899687 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
CBS 2020 Mock
« Reply #11925 on: May 04, 2020, 05:25:44 PM »

1   Warriors   LaMelo Ball, PG   Australia
2   Timberwolves   Anthony Edwards, SG   Georgia
3   Pistons   Killian Hayes, PG   France
4   Hawks   Onyeka Okongwu, C   USC
5   Cavs   Cole Anthony, PG   N. Carolina
6   Knicks   Obi Toppin, PF   Dayton
7   Bulls   Tyrese Haliburton, PG   Iowa St.
8   Hornets   James Wiseman, C   Memphis
9   Wizards   Aaron Nesmith, SF   Vanderbilt
10   Suns   Deni Avdija, SF   Israel
11   Spurs   Isaac Okoro, SF   Auburn
12   Kings   Precious Achiuwa, PF   Memphis
13   Pelicans   Saddiq Bey, SF   Villanova
14   Trail Blazers   Leandro Bolmaro, SF   Argentina
15   Magic   Tyrese Maxey, F   Kentucky
16   Timberwolves (via Nets)   R.J. Hampton, SG   New Zealand
17   Celtics (via Grizzlies)   Jalen Smith, C   Maryland
18   Mavericks   Kira Lewis Jr., PG   Alabama
19   Nets (via 76ers)   Devin Vassell, SF   Florida State
20   Bucks (via Pacers)   Jahmi'us Ramsey, SG   Texas Tech
21   Nuggets (via Rockets)   Theo Maledon, PG   France
22   76ers (via Thunder)   Zeke Nnaji, C   Arizona
23   Heat   Vernon Carey, C   Duke
24   Jazz   Nico Mannion, PG   Arizona
25   Thunder (via Nuggets)   Josh Green, SG   Arizona
26   Celtics   Daniel Oturu, C   Minnesota
27   Knicks (via Clippers)   Isaiah Stewart, C   Washington
28   Raptors   Tre Jones, PG   Duke
29   Lakers   Jaden McDaniels, PF   Washington
30   Celtics (via Bucks)   Patrick Williams, SF   Florida St.

chipstern

• View Profile
Obi Toppin, PF [6'9, 220], NBA Draft.Net
« Reply #11926 on: May 04, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »

NBA Comparison: Kenyon Martin/Shawn Marion

Strengths: Toppin is a late blooming frontcourt prospect who seemingly come out of nowhere after a redshirt season in 2017-2018 to emerge as the best player and prospect in the A-10 conference in 2019-2020 and one of the top players and prospects in the nation … Has decent size for a PF prospect at 6’9, a 7-2 wingspan and around 230 lbs …Shows very good run-jump athleticism … An above the rim highlight machine, Toppin is a consistent finisher at the rim and looks to finish with authority much more often than not, even through contact … Lead the NCAA in dunks this season, and many of them were of the put back variety due to a quick 2nd jump and high energy … His experience playing the 5 for Dayton gives him positional versatility, as he has the ability to operate on the low post, mid range and even step out to the 3 point line and be effective, making him fit seamlessly as a 6’9 four man in the current NBA … His shooting fundamentals are a plus, as he shoots with consistent mechanics and a high release point, making him a potential floor spacing option … Showed the ability to create offense from the perimeter, hitting both catch and shoot but also creating some pull ups … His 39% from 3-point shows what a prolific shooter he has become … The fact that he shot a great clip on a high usage rate gives his ability to score at the next level a lot of intrigue … Can be effective as a roll man or a spot up shooter in the picking game, making him a formidable match up … Moves well without the ball and shows natural instincts … Quite efficient and makes smart decisions on the court, unselfish player and has good passing ability, as his near even a/to ratio from a forward attests … Solid as a defender at the college level in each of his 2 seasons, pretty good fundamentals and IQ on that end and gives good focus and consistency … His considerable improvements each year suggest a player with the smarts and work ethic necessary to find a way to succeed/thrive at the next level … Handled not catching teams by surprise and having the attention on him very well this season, proving his RFr season was not a fluke and just the tip of the iceberg … Despite being older, shows potential to develop his offensive game further, having shown a great deal of improvement in the past year … Has one of the highest floors of any player available in this year’s draft … A coachable, team oriented guy. Shows very good leadership and maturity, and figures to make an excellent teammate at the next level …

Weaknesses: Though a standout athlete with nice size, Toppin doesn’t seem to possess great foot quickness, and will likely have some struggles defending on the perimeter in match ups with quicker 4’s … Appears somewhat stiff in his upper body and shoulders, but flexibility could be improved upon over time  … Given his leaping skills and length, as well as the size advantage he enjoys in most matchups with A-10 big men, Toppin is an average overall rebounder at best (7.6 rpg this season, 5.8 rpg as a Fr) … Perhaps his rebounding can improve with focus on core strength, and work on fundamentals  … Though he’s been solid on defense in college, he does not project to be much of a shot blocker or threat in the passing lanes at the NBA level, giving him a unspectacular ceiling on that end of the floor … Doesn’t have many moves, as a low post player he prefers to almost exclusively use right handed jump hooks when he can’t simply dunk the ball, and he hasn’t showed much off the bounce when facing up either … Not much a shot creator … Turned 22 in March making him older than the average lottery pick … Though he proved to be a very good 3-point shooter, his 70% from the FT line is an area he needs to improve upon …

Overall: Toppin made a name for himself with his outstanding play in the last 2 seasons for a Dayton team that has a good track record of success as a “mid major” program … He led Dayton to a 29-2 record and 18-0 in conference … There is something to be said for a player who continually exceeds expectations after going from under the radar, to having a target on his back every night …Toppin was overlooked a year ago, having been denied an invite to the 2019 NBA Draft combine … He has some strong potential in the pick and roll/pop game, and is an efficient player with an intriguing combination of a good shooting stroke and above the rim athletic ability …He’s currently not much off the dribble, is a surprisingly mediocre rebounder and his lateral quickness is somewhat questionable for a 4 man, but he is a hard-working, efficient player who has more strengths than weaknesses and figures to be among the first players to come off the board on draft night … Has made it known that he would love to join the Golden State Warriors who go into the lottery with the best chance of landing the top pick and at worst will be drafting fifth … Figures to be drafted somewhere in the top half of the lottery … Has All Star potential if his offensive game continues to develop and he lands in a good situation …

Notes: Has a reported 7-2 wingspan … Swept the National Player of the Year honors (Naismith, AP and John Wooden awards) …

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Wiseman
« Reply #11927 on: May 04, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »

Hawks draft a C and it isn't Wiseman?  Hmmm...
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11928 on: May 04, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »

Hawks even drafting a C is puzzling.

That mock is WHACK.

Chip - thanks for the write up on Obi Won

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: May 04, 2020, 10:36:24 PM »

Marion?  I thought the usual comp was to Amare, a rim running PF with a J and poor D.  Matrix was a very good boarder and terrific defender.  Basically a smallball PF with a weird J.  I was a big Marion fan, one of my favorite players of that era.

There's some Toppin vid showing him play Amaresque D.
Ty H would be a better Knick fit than Obi.

That mock has Bey very high.  I was hoping he might still be around for Knix 2nd pick.  Also, if Tre Jones is there, wouldn't he be a better pick than a C?
Vassell sounds like a good shooting prospect for the 25.
But I don't know any of these guys, have only seen a few minute vid of Toppin, Halliburton, Killian, Ball, Wiseman, Cole Ant.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: May 04, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »

Draft seems to beall over the place - but every report I have on Toppin has him an eeeeeasy call over Haliburton.

Matter of fact that CBS mock is a bit dreamy for us - giving us a choice of 3 guys we thought might be gone (Wiseman, Toppin, Avdija)

Not much info on which way teams are leaning but why do a mock and make silly picks (ATL taking a 3rd center, Ball playing with Curry.....)?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: May 05, 2020, 12:00:06 AM »

I assume the lack of workouts and combine and such has things pretty uncertain.

Some mocks just list best players in order and don't take team needs into consideration.  That's what I assumed about the CBS mock.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: May 05, 2020, 12:16:55 AM »

They have the French PG the third best player?

I think it was done by a guy who just wanted to be different.

Just hope this draft doesn't get pushed back much.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:23 AM »

I do like seeing my guy Achiuwa at 12, highest I have seen him

Still puzzled on Duke's Carey

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: May 05, 2020, 12:26:31 AM »

There's not much money in journalism or websites these days, so a lot of the work is being done by 20 somethings willing to work on the cheap.  While editing has largely disappeared.  So a good deal of info these days is poorly written by those without much experience.

EDIT: in my earlier post, I missed that they had Vassell at #19
Vassell & Bey sound like good shooters, so I was hoping one might be around at 25.
But everyone looks for shooters these days ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: May 05, 2020, 01:24:28 AM »

Of note is that there are two Beys

Some like the Colorado player better

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: May 05, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »

Projected draft ranges for early NBA draft entrants (basicallyall but the seniors):

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020-early-entry-list-projected-draft-ranges/

Achiuwa   10-25
Cole Anthony   4-12
Saddiq Bey    15-35
Tyler Bey (Colorado)    25-40
CAREY    8-18

Haliburton  7*-15

Toppin    2-8
Wiseman     2-5

etc.....

Plenty of "likely undrafted"

Also a huge list of foreign players - but without projections
New name for me has been LEANDRO BOLMARO (19-year old SG/SF)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:53:31 AM by kiidcarter8 »

chipstern

• View Profile
So far....
« Reply #11937 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »

Obe looks interesting...

But I still like Haliburton. 

Interesting piece on Thibs in the POST today. 

Besides his defensive pedigree, he makes some interesting points on 'diversification."

Thibodeau said he most prioritized “diversification of offense.” According to a transcript of the Sloan event printed by The Athletic, Thibodeau said, “How are the playoffs being played? If you looked at the shot profile of Golden State, they were prolific shooting 3s because of Steph [Curry] and Klay [Thompson], but they also were very good at the pick-and-roll game, catch and shoot, and utilized the post-up for the split game, which got them layups. To win in the playoffs, you have to have balance.”

Makes sense. 

The 3-pointer?  We all get it.

But it used to frustrate me to see the Knicks push the ball up court and then launch a trey with 12-16 seconds remaining on the shot clock, without even the pretense of making a few passes and, PERHAPS, manufacturing an easier shot attempts. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: May 05, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »

Haliburton at 6.  OK.  I will keep an open mind.

Are you taking Haliburton if we get lucky and move up to 4?

How about 3?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: May 05, 2020, 01:08:18 PM »

But it used to frustrate me to see the Knicks push the ball up court and then launch a trey with 12-16 seconds remaining on the shot clock, without even the pretense of making a few passes and, PERHAPS, manufacturing an easier shot attempts.

It's today's NBA.  Get open looks from 3 - and over time - that generates the most points.

Why?  When you can post up a guy who shoots it at 55-60%?  Well.....

1 - when he cant get his shot you end up instead with a shitty one - or a turnover

2 - you don't get as many second chance looks.  3s yield more offensive boards.

- there is of course also a shortage of this type player, with how youth basketball has evolved
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:19:05 PM by kiidcarter8 »
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1844