Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 900184 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Don't Cry For Me Argentina
« Reply #13350 on: September 14, 2020, 05:05:26 PM »

It screwed the Knicks before that.  PJ Brown bodyslams Charlie Ward.  Ewing steps over the line. David Stern gives series to the HEAT the Knicks had in hand.

Funny, PJ & Chollie -- also two nice guys who surprisingly got into it.

The NBA tends to get too rule-bound and enforces its rules too literally.

Even good guys can have moments of unclarity

See Mark and the broom

Funny you should recall that dubious moment. 

Jackson always had a keen point guard aptitude, that made up for his physical limitations, a fierce competitive spirit, and a first rate basketball mind. 

But when everyone was lamenting the Steve Nash hiring, and going on about MJ being blackballed, so to speak, I recalled his inability to get along with his own assistant coaches or management, his high minded sanctimony (balanced out by his camel toe dalliances with a stripper) and that playoff triumph, under Pitino as I recall, where Jackson led the Knicks in rubbing their opponents face in defeat by literally bringing out the brooms. 

That left a bad taste in my mouth.  Trash talking is one thing, but that was a telling insight into his mindset.  On one hand, it lent itself to his competitive edge, which we saw first hand when he came back to the Garden and often kicked our asses with the Pacers.

But it is also indicative of those emotional ticks which would seem to make teams hesitant to hunker down with him.

Hey, Thibs is a very, VERY STRONG WILLED individual, and I think his willingness to meet Leon Rose halfway when it came to filling out his staff with the Kenny Payne and Johnny Bryant appointments is telling.

Hey, Nyets did likewise with Nash, insisting on Jacques Vaughan.  There is even a rumor, kind of a stretch on thinks, of bringing on JVG as an additional associate head coach.  I think Nash will be just fine in Brooklyn. 

Anyway, Mark Jackson has a sweet broadcasting gig, so don't cry for me Argentina. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #13351 on: September 14, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »

“Mortimer, we’re back in business!”

Thirteen bodies in the basement.

Oh, is that what they mean when they say a bet is "a lock?"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

chipstern

• View Profile
Arsenic & Old Lace
« Reply #13352 on: September 14, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »

Thirteen TWELVE bodies in the basement.

I was actually riffing with your "Mortimer" reference, Cary Grant's character Mortimer Brewster in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, who discovered that his spinster aunts and his brother are homicidal maniacs. 

"They got twelve, and you got twelve."

THIRTEEN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLvzvFFRu8
THE CELLAR'S CROWDED ALREADY

"No, Johnny...."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenic & Old Lace
« Reply #13353 on: September 14, 2020, 07:38:40 PM »

Thirteen TWELVE bodies in the basement.

I was actually riffing with your "Mortimer" reference, Cary Grant's character Mortimer Brewster in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, who discovered that his spinster aunts and his brother are homicidal maniacs. 

"They got twelve, and you got twelve."

THIRTEEN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLvzvFFRu8
THE CELLAR'S CROWDED ALREADY

"No, Johnny...."

His Mortimer reference, not mine.

And I was following that riff, Chip!

They got their son, Teddy, to bury them in the basement, telling him it was time to dig another lock for the Panama Canal.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: September 15, 2020, 12:37:16 AM »

I goofed. I added business which wasn’t there.

I was trying to quote Randolph to his brother from the end of Coming to America.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: September 15, 2020, 12:38:48 AM »

http://youtu.be/ge03rjwOE0A

http://youtu.be/oRMXO1iIY-M

Carlos, your Spanish seems better than mine. What do you think of these ads?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Tío Joe
« Reply #13356 on: September 15, 2020, 01:05:56 AM »

http://youtu.be/ge03rjwOE0A

http://youtu.be/oRMXO1iIY-M

Carlos, your Spanish seems better than mine. What do you think of these ads?

Buena ranchera/norteña y buen reggaetón. I wonder if it would break any law if they made the “I’m Joe Biden and I approve this message” in Spanish. That would be really cool. Or they could do it and then fade to the English version if necessary. Even Chamaco Cartero would appreciate it.

Also, it would be nice if Tío Joe put out an ad talking about us and how he’s going to work with/for us, in addition to the ads mocking Trump, which are very good but we need the other half of it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:13:51 AM by carlos123 »
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: September 15, 2020, 03:33:19 AM »

Is this one better, Carlos?

It seemed better to me, but my Spanish is worse than my French and my French is nearly non-existent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMx-3ogn3Q

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Tío Joe
« Reply #13358 on: September 15, 2020, 05:07:28 AM »

I wonder if it would break any law if they made the “I’m Joe Biden and I approve this message” in Spanish. That would be really cool. Or they could do it and then fade to the English version if necessary.

Yeah, I would do it in both languages (or just in Espanol if allowed ... probably not).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: September 15, 2020, 08:30:18 AM »

Trump had a huge day with Hispanics yesterday.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Ads
« Reply #13360 on: September 15, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »

It seemed better to me, but my Spanish is worse than my French and my French is nearly non-existent.

Pretty good. Something missing, but hard to tell what it is. Seems to tell us what he’s gonna do for us. How about WITH us? Any Latina/o on his team?
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
?
« Reply #13361 on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »

Incluyendo a Chamaco Cartero?

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: September 15, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »

Just got back from hoops.  Turns out one Chinese guy I play with grew up in Panama until he was 15, so speaks fluent Spanish.  Surprised me.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
Fait Accompli
« Reply #13363 on: September 15, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »

I took Level 1 Spanish (Castilian, not the Caribbean vernacular so well known in NYC).  Three years in a row.  Sadder than McKinley's Funeral...even the horses cried. 

When I was driving a cab, I had a few lame words and phrases I could deploy, and Hispanic people in NYC were always so gracious and grateful for a gringo to be respectful enough to even offer up a few lame phrases, but having lived in Hispanic nabes since I arrived in NYC in 1976, I always founbd the disrespect accorded Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Cubans really grating.  "SPEAK ENGLISH." Fuck YOU--Their English is one hell of a lot better than your Spanish, MF. 

Anyway, I maneuvered them in to a corny joke which always got an appreciative laugh.

"Tu hablas Espanol?"

[Forgive the spelling]

"No, no, no...muy nada--muy pacquito.  Hola Isabel, como estas?  Donde esta la biblioteca?  VAS A INFERNO, PENDEJO.

My punchline was originally maricone, but that seemed a little strong, and saying pendejo is more like a Jew saying schmuck. 

I learned the term pendejo, because the streets in NYC are [were] fairly crowded, and it was not uncommon for people to brush up against each other.  One afternoon on 181st Street, apparently I brushed up against an older Hispanic brother, and he took offense.  Next thing I know, he was jabbing his finger into my chest.  "When you hit somebody, you are supposed to say excuse me."  SIR, WOULD YOU PLEASE TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF OF MY CHEST.  When he jabbed me again, I slapped him upside his face.  He started coming towards me, and I held up my hand in a the STOP SIGN gesture, that is to say, YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE. 

I felt like a jerk for allowing things to escalate to such a degree over something so petty, but you do not lay your hands upon another man in Washington Heights. 

When I got to my taxi garage for the shape up, I asked a Dominican driver, what I might be able to say en espanol to let someone know that I was from the street, too, and to downshift from a confrontation. 

"Call him a maricone."

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? 

"Faggot."

WHOA, I'M NOT GOING TO CALL A HISPANIC MALE A FAGGOT.  I"M TRYING TO DEESCALATE< NOT START WORLD WAR 3.  HAVE YOU GOT SOMETHING A BIT SOFTER?

"Call him a quica face."

MEANING?

"Pussy face."

NO, YOU'RE NOT FEELING ME.  SOMETHING MORE FRATERNAL, LIKE WHEN A JEW CALLS ANOTHER JEW A SCHMUCK OR A PUTZ.

"Ah, call him a pendejo." 

He was not really clear on what that meant, and at some latter point, I was told that pendejo referred to the tiny hairs in your butt crack.

CARE TO WEIGH IN ON THIS, Senor Carlos? 

As for FRENCH?

Decided to try it for my first semester freshman requirement at college.

It did NOT go well. 

For my final exam, I showed up with a six pack of beer, an acknowledgement of the inevitable.  When an elderly proctor took note of my morning mourning, I indicated that the end results were a fait accompli, which some 50 years later, it now occurs to me, was a snippet of French, correct in context and meaning.   

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:22:58 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
DUH
« Reply #13364 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1844