Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1861

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 1145374 times)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Marcus Morris
« Reply #14580 on: November 21, 2020, 12:55:47 AM »

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Free agent Marcus Morris has agreed to return to the Clippers, source tells ESPN.
Deal: 4 years, $64M, per source.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Pistons
« Reply #14581 on: November 21, 2020, 01:07:57 AM »

Detroit draft sign and trade Bigs at an alarming rate.

Entering the draft on Wednesday, the Pistons had just one center on the roster, Justin Patton.
They selected Washington center Isaiah Stewart with the 16th pick in the first round.
They traded with the Hawks to get Dewayne Dedmon (who they have waived using the stretch provision). 
They also added Tony Bradley in a draft-night deal with the Utah Jazz.
Patton was later traded to the Trail Blazers.
Today they added Mason Plumlee and Jahlil Okafor.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Steven Adams traded from OKC
« Reply #14582 on: November 21, 2020, 01:37:03 AM »

Joining ZION in N'awlins

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14583 on: November 21, 2020, 02:52:50 AM »

I’m prepared to be disgusted by how little we could have forked over to sign Hayward and what we wind up doing with the money instead.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: November 21, 2020, 02:54:09 AM »

JaMychal Green to Denver for 15 over 2 years. Nice deal.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Thunder
« Reply #14585 on: November 21, 2020, 03:26:43 AM »

Mike Vorkunov
@MikeVorkunov
Thunder will have traded with 12 teams since moratorium lifted if this Pelicans/Nuggets 3-way deal goes through. In 5 days Sam Presti has made deals w/ more than 1/3 of NBA (Lakers, Wolves, Suns, 76ers, Warriors, Boston, Knicks, Wizards; now Mavericks, Pistons, NOP, and Denver).

bodiddley

• View Profile
Disgruntled in SH
« Reply #14586 on: November 21, 2020, 03:44:25 AM »

What we sitting on our hands for??

So we give $11M to Ed Davis & Alec Burks?
When Montrezl went for $9.25M (the midlevel exception).
Just a 2/$18.5M deal.  Maybe he wanted a title shot with Lakes, but we couldn't have given him $11M or $12M?  I'd like Montrezl next to Mitch.  NYK fans would love Harrell.

Similarly Christian Wood, 25 went for 3/$41.  So that's starting at around $13M.

We drafted Toppings so now 2 of our 4 of our best players are PF's with poor defense and limited to one position.
PF & C are the two easiest positions to fill, and fill with value, as the money goes to gunners and wings and PG's these days, and teams favor multi-position players

So instead of Ed Davis (a fave of mine, but damn old role player) and Alec Burks (a mistake journeyman) for $11M, we (probably) could have had Christian Wood or Montrezl for roughly the same money.  And drafted Avdija an all-around SF; TyH a smooth combo G; or Vassell an excellent 3&D wing.

Who you want?
Wood/Montrezl - Avdija
or
Toppings - Davis - Burks
??

A somewhat typical ObiT write-up, though this draft mocker had him down to 11th:
Obi Toppin – Dayton – 6’9, 220 lbs – March 1998

The best player in college basketball last season, Toppin should provide instant offense at the next level. He is a terrific leaper, dunking the ball 107 times in 31 games. He can also stretch the floor, shooting 39% from three on 2.6 attempts. Getting defenses to fully respect his shot will be the key, but I buy he’ll be able to shoot.

Despite being a safe bet to be a good offensive player, Toppin is pretty rough on defense. He lacks the height and strength to guard centers and he’s not agile enough on the perimeter to guard fours. His pick-and-roll coverage is tough to watch, as his high center of gravity makes it hard for him to turn. Toppin’s upside is limited given he’s already 22 years old. Toppin will come in and help teams on the offensive end from the go, but the lack of defensive potential is what has me a bit lower on him.

Don't like the direction we're headed ...

Bo's Knix:
PG? - RJB - Avdija - Wood/Montrezl - Mitch
Randle - Knox - Franc

Yeah, Randle would likely start, but we'd be looking to move him.
With roughly $12M to Wood/Montrezl, we'd still have $24M for FVV.
I'd offer it out there.
FVV - RJB - Avdija - Wood/Montrezl - Mitch
I'd be excited.  That's a real team, on the rise, making the playoffs in the East.

If FVV wouldn't bite, then you still have $24M to find a PG and role players.
Rondo?  Bledsoe?  Dragic?  Rubio hasn't been traded in the last 20 hours ...

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Would you rather
« Reply #14587 on: November 21, 2020, 04:09:36 AM »

TyH/Avidja or FVV/Hayward?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: November 21, 2020, 05:03:27 AM »

I'm not following ...
How could we get both FVV and Haywire?

But given the yute of RJB/Mitch/Knox/Franc, I'd rather one of FVV/Haywood and one of Avdija/TyH/Vassal.  And of course we need the PG much more.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:06:52 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: November 21, 2020, 05:49:11 AM »

Bertans and Beasley overpaid.
A 5 year dealio for Bertans?  Yikes.

Jerami Grant cashed in nicely.
I think I was talking $16M -$18M.
He got 3/$60M.

NYK Burks 6th team in 3 years!
Our new Wayne Ellington
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: November 21, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »

No Moe....
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Free agent F Moe Harkless has agreed to a one-year, $3.6M deal with the Miami Heat, sources tell ESPN.

no grades until it's all over, but a less than uplifting FA season for the Knicks...

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: November 21, 2020, 10:59:58 AM »

No Moe....
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Free agent F Moe Harkless has agreed to a one-year, $3.6M deal with the Miami Heat, sources tell ESPN.

no grades until it's all over, but a less than uplifting FA season for the Knicks...

Nothing wrong with keeping your powder dry for better fish. I'm not seeing anything we could have done, I would have done. I don't want to see one Moe Harkless minute over a Toppin or Knox or RJ minute. Plenty to see if season starts tomorrow. Plenty for Thibs to coach.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

chipstern

• View Profile
Bobby Portis
« Reply #14592 on: November 21, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »

Milwaukee

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: Bobby Portis
« Reply #14593 on: November 21, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »

Milwaukee

Moe Harkless to Miami. 

Robin Lopez to Washington, I'm told. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:28:38 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
WouldaCouldaShoulda
« Reply #14594 on: November 21, 2020, 01:35:05 PM »

Be interested to see what Milwaukee committed to Portis.  They dropped ERSAN ILYASOVA. 

David Aldridge: Likely a two-year (1+1) deal for Bobby Portis in Milwaukee, with player option second year, likely to come in around $8M. – via Twitter davidaldridgedc

So 8 million for one year or for $4 million x two? 

Shams Charania: Free agent guard DJ Augustin has agreed to a three-year, $21M deal with Milwaukee, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Interesting.  So now they have Jrue & DJ.  Shores up their back court significantly.  Plus they still have DiVincenzo. 

POST MORTEMS

For those seeking logic, and in the tradition of BOY DID THE KNICKS FUCK UP, my inveterate rose tinged glasses notwithstanding, in purusing some logic, I would appear to be lining up with Dawg here on our moves. 

Knicks were all in on Toppin.  One might assume that Thibs shared that approach. 

Some are assuming that Obi sucks on defense, and that's the end of it.  One might assume Thibs will have something to say about that. 

Ed Davis a one year commitment at PF-C for $5 Million and Alec Burke for $6 million as a combo guard/shapshooter. 

ONE YEAR.  For $5 & $6 as opposed to 8-10-15.  Exhale folks. 

And so far our two way contracts are 5'11 Auburn PG Jared Harper and...I am not quite sure of the status of 6'2" Seton Hall combo guard Myles Powell

WouldaCouldaShoulda

OK

Christian Wood? 

What, 3 years for 40-something million.  Nice.  We have Robinson and Randle AND TOPPIN.  Once we got Toppin, the interest in Wood surely cooled. 

Well, we could have drafted Haiiburton and signed Wood. 

True.  ASSUMING Wood was a lock.  With Robinson and Randle still on board. 

Harrell.  Numbers he got looked tenable.  Assuming MH would have accepted such numbers from the Knicks as opposed to THE FUCKING WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS where he will be part of a rotation with . 

Deni Avdija?

A great talent.  No doubt. 

Logic? 

Debateable.  Would CHIP have selected him over Toppin?

It surely crossed my mind, as did the other players I liked, Haliburton and Vassell. 

I never imagined BOTH Avdija AND Toppin would be there for the Knicks at #8. 

Logic?

You'd have to ask Thibs and Walt Perrin, but as of this morning the Knicks have Robinson and Davis and Randle and Toppin to find minutes at the five and the four. 

At the 3 spot?  Well, let's see? 

Knox and Brazdeikis.  One could also project big wings Bullock and RJ.  Even Ntilinkina. 

Exempting RJ from that discussion for a second, might one prefer Deni? 

Sure.  But we would appear to have some commitment to Kevin Knox's development, let alone to Brzdeikis, which would've been mitigated by Avdija or Vassell. 

AH, BUT WE COULD TRADE THEM. 

And get what back?  Also, it might appear, and I cannot speak for Dawg, that we are more sanguine on Knox's upside that many on this forum.  STAY TUNED. 

WouldaCouldaShoulda

Me?  I woulda liked a 1 + 1 for Portis as $4 million with a player option. 

Defense apparently the decider in favor of Ed Davis, let alone that Portis would want more minutes. 

Burke?  A big combo role player.  One year.  We are now commited long term to Quickley as our combo guard.  And we are giving a LookSee at Myles Powell.   

So WAZZUP with PG?

Ah so. 

Dennis Smith.  Frank Ntilikina.  Jared Harper.
Alex Burke.  Myles Powell.  Immanuel Quickley. 

Three points.  Three combos. 

The last shoe has yet to drop, but it would appear, we are keeping our options, as limited as they presently seem, open at the POINT. 

Acknowledging Elfrid Payton's solid playmaking and defense his shooting limitations [and .203 % from trey, and 49-86 FT takes and makes], his presence, and the clear preference our interim Mike Miller had for him, queered the development of Dennis Smith and French Frank.  Much as the presence of Mudiay and Trey Burke kept Frank off the floor.  So....

SO...are we going into the season with Dennis and Frank as our bell cows at the POINT?

Waiting for that other shoe. 

Rondo is highly unlikely. 

Reggie Jackson is still out there.  So is Eric Bledsoe.  Who else?  Do we really want to set up a Payton-Mudiay-Burke roadblock for Dennis and Frank on their player option years with a Jackson or Bledsoe? 

I would certainly take a look at Reggie Jackson, though clearly, Detroit was wont to move on from him, what with Killian Hayes.  And Derrick Rose. 

But would Jackson pout if not given the keys to the car?  He pouted his way out of OKC.  And as a Piston, in this first half a season with Detroit, he averaged 9.6 assists, but on a downward trend ever since.  He is a very fine FT shooter and a good three point man.  Not up to speed on his D, but a scoring PG it would seem, and after Detroit offloaded him to the Clips, in lieu of Rose, he did not shine for LA in the bubble. 

So there we are, Knicks fans, confounded as usual, obsessed with life in the realm of CouldaWouldaShoulda, and really, those are all legit critiques. 

And we understand why Knicks fans might be underwhlemed by our forays into free agency. 

Rose Colored Chip?

We still have $29 million in cap space.  And do not appear to be in any rush to spend it.  GOOD. 

Gordon Hayward?  Russell Westbrook?  John Wall? 

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, Knicks Fans.   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:38:49 PM by chipstern »
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1861