Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 909535 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14670 on: November 22, 2020, 03:28:41 AM »

Chip, I love that GIF of Kieth stomping his way through his kit.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Looking for silver linings
« Reply #14671 on: November 22, 2020, 04:13:14 AM »

Last year we struck out on the Big Name FAs and panicked. We gave Bobby Portis 15mil!  He just signed for 4mil.  Teams Players and Agents knew they had the Knicks (Mills/Perry) over a barrel having traded KP for Cap Space.  They knew that space had to be used.

This year the new FO did not make any panic moves or trade for a fading star.  That may not produce much excitement but what it does signal to the rest of the league is that these aren't the same ol' knicks where bad contracts go to die.  That can only serve Rose well in future negotiations with player agents and with other general managers.

That's not sexy.  But it can pay a dividend if the Knicks stance remains patient.  Stocking up on 2023 picks is another display to the league that the Knicks are playing the patient game and won't be goaded into a win-now mindset that is ultimately self-defeating.

That's all I got to say about that.  But on the other hand, I wasn't even thinking about this free agent period.  I really had no notion we were going to get someone and just want to see the team on the court.  Let's see the coach earn his money and contend for a playoff spot.  That's what I want to see.  That's the only way the Knicks will be noticed by the 2021 free agent class and beyond.  Just win baby.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Rose got Thibs some guys who can defend
« Reply #14672 on: November 22, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »

Final possession, Knicks up 1, the other team comes out of a time-out to inbound the ball at half court, under 15 seconds to go.

Thibs can roll out this defensive unit

Mitch
Noel
Frank
Burks
Payton
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: November 22, 2020, 05:21:45 AM »

So what you're saying is we have no F defenders ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: November 22, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »

Chip, I love that GIF of Kieth stomping his way through his kit.

I believe that GIF was sourced from a SMOTHERS BROTHERS broadcast, where at the conclusion of the Who's performance, explosives were triggered and Keith's kit detonated. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Celtics & Nets
« Reply #14675 on: November 22, 2020, 09:22:26 AM »

Our Eastern Conference adversaries moving forward.

Signed Cavs Tristan Thompson for the full MCE, 2 X $19 Million. 

Nice pickup.  With Theis & Williams, give the Celtics a nice defensive presence at the 4 & 5. 

Adding Jeff Teague and their two draft picks, Nesmith and Pritchard, gives them nice depth at SF and PG. 

I read reports of a S&T being in flux between Celtics and Hornets, which confused me. 

I was under the impression Hayward was an unrestricted FA and that they had signed him free and clear. 

Meanwhile, no sign that the Nyets are rushing to gut their roster for James Harden.  Houston wants a lot, as well they should.

But LaVert is a stud offensive wing, and they just copped Landry Shamet and reupped Joe Harris.  Some serious outside shooting. 

Jarett Allen and DeAndre Jordan is one hell of a nice platoon at the five spot, and Dimwiddie gives them coverage at the point and the 2 spot. 

LaVert, Allen, Dimiwiddie and draft picks for Harden seems dicey to me, but hey, what do I know. 

Yup, Harden is a Hall Of Famer, but his game is way too much like Kyrie's, and losing the chemistry of the past three years in exchange for another ball dominant wing?  The shiniest of shiny objects. Could be a Hershel Walker trade for Sean Marks. 

Houston should trade Harden or Westbrook straight up for John Wall and call it a day. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:25:40 AM by chipstern »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: November 22, 2020, 09:39:34 AM »

Aforementioned Myles Powell

https://shupirates.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/myles-powell/2834

What a list of awards!

2020 NCAA CONSENSUS ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM**

**2020 JERRY WEST NATIONAL SHOOTING GUARD OF THE YEAR AWARD**
**2020 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM**
**2020 SPORTING NEWS ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM**
**2020 USBWA ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM**
**2020 NABC ALL-AMERICA SECOND TEAM**
**2020 WOODEN AWARD ALL-AMERICA**
**2020 HAGGERTY AWARD METROPOLITAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR**
**2020 BIG EAST PLAYER OF THE YEAR**
**2020 USBWA DISTRICT II PLAYER OF THE YEAR**
**2020 USBWA ALL-DISTRICT II**
**2020 NABC ALL-DISTRICT 5 FIRST TEAM**
**2020 ALL-BIG EAST FIRST TEAM**
**2020 BIG EAST ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM**
**2020 JERRY WEST SHOOTING GUARD OF THE YEAR AWARD TOP 5 FINALIST**
**2020 JOHN R. WOODEN AWARD TOP 5 FINALIST**
**2020 NAISMITH TROPHY TOP 5 FINALIST**
**2020 OSCAR ROBERTSON TROPHY MIDESEASON WATCH LIST**
**2020 SENIOR CLASS AWARD TOP 10 FINALIST**
**2019-20 ASSOCIATED PRESS PRESEASON ALL-AMERICA**
**2019-20 BIG EAST PRESEASON PLAYER OF THE YEAR**
---
**2019 BIG EAST ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM**
**2019 NABC HONORS COURT**
**2019 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-AMERICA HONORABLE MENTION**
**2019 HAGGERTY AWARD METROPOLITAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR**
**2019 ALL-MET FIRST TEAM**
**2019 UNANIMOUS ALL-BIG EAST FIRST TEAM**
**2019 USBWA ALL-DISTRICT**
**2019 NABC ALL-DISTRICT**
**2019 BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIP ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM**
**2018 JOE CALABRESE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER**
**2018 WOODEN LEGACY MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER**
**2019 WOODEN LEGACY ALL-TOURNAMENT FIRST TEAM**
**2018 BIG EAST MOST IMPROVED PLAYER OF THE YEAR**
**2018 ALL-MET SECOND TEAM**
**2018 BIG EAST ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: November 22, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »

Aforementioned Myles Powell

https://shupirates.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/myles-powell/2834

What a list of awards!

Close friend coming of age of Toppin. 

Powell and Jared Harper would appear to be our main G League 2-Way Contract projects.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: November 22, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »

Signed Cavs Tristan Thompson for the full MCE, 2 X $19 Million.

Nice pickup.  With Theis & Williams, give the Celtics a nice defensive presence at the 4 & 5

To what I was saying the last 2 days re the "pass" on the Hayward deal...

Celts get Thompson much cheaper than Myles Turner - for a shorter stint - and will use the extra cash wisely.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: November 22, 2020, 09:56:55 AM »

As the roster gets deeper a guy like Ntlikina becomes more valuable in spot situations.  He is actually LESS a guy I wish to deal now.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: November 22, 2020, 09:59:36 AM »

Have the Celts gotten better?

Depends.

Who plays the Hayward minutes (33.5 per game)?

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: November 22, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »

As the roster gets deeper a guy like Ntlikina becomes more valuable in spot situations.  He is actually LESS a guy I wish to deal now.

Bruce Bowen 3.2, if we are lucky.

Thibs was described as having a crush on Okoro.  I believe that is how he would like to see Frank evolve, as someone he could sic on opposing wings, 1-2-3.   

A LOT of competition for minutes at the 1,2,3. 

GOOD. 

I know this sounds odd, but I am really rooting for Dennis Smith. 

Last year was such a disaster, Coach Miller had zero confidence in or committment to him, and between family loss and injuries and no consistent minutes or lineups to get productive minutes, and the absence of consistent three point shooters to benefit from his drives and kicks, well...couldn't get much lower. 

Coach Payne has apparently been working with the bigs, Randle and Knox in particular.

While Coach Bryant has been tasked with the likes of RJ and Smith. 

MSG has been showing Knicks games from the past two years, and Smith's last season was so dreary, it's easy to forget how well he was playing for us when he first came over in the Spring of 2019.  Or some of the steps forward Frank made in his last few games.  Much more purposeful and agressive, getting to the rack, drawing and converting free throws, cutting down on the pain inducing telegraphed passes.  Apparently Ntilikina has muscled up consdierably since March.

Health, good coaching, consistent minutes, complementary pieces on the floor with him. 

Some time back I was reading how Coach Thibodeau apparently was a long time fan of his game. 

Dennis' job to lose.  We shall see. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: November 22, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »

Depends.

Posted yesterday elsewhere shortly after Gordo news broke

Quote from: bankshot1, post: 4175185, member: 9
Exactly. Gordo was more promise than delivery for the past 3 years. The cap stuff is what it is, I posted in the other thread this opens PT for development to get young guys (Romeo, TL, GW, Nesmith) game ready for the post-season. We are reliant on Kemba being healthy. But this is not a disaster.

I think TT and Teague are good depth adds, but the young guys named above have to step up and take more responsibility. Grant Williams is a "Smart" type player, if he can improve his offense he will see a lot more minutes. Langford was hurt for most of last year so he's still mostly a rookie, Nesmith is the guy they need off the bench to bang 3s.

I think the real risk is at PG and managing Kemba's time and knees. The Teague pick-up was big,   

I think they will be a tough out in a any 7-game series

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: November 22, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »

Depends.

Posted yesterday elsewhere shortly after Gordo news broke

Quote from: bankshot1, post: 4175185, member: 9
Exactly. Gordo was more promise than delivery for the past 3 years. The cap stuff is what it is, I posted in the other thread this opens PT for development to get young guys (Romeo, TL, GW, Nesmith) game ready for the post-season. We are reliant on Kemba being healthy. But this is not a disaster.

I think TT and Teague are good depth adds, but the young guys named above have to step up and take more responsibility. Grant Williams is a "Smart" type player, if he can improve his offense he will see a lot more minutes. Langford was hurt for most of last year so he's still mostly a rookie, Nesmith is the guy they need off the bench to bang 3s.

I think the real risk is at PG and managing Kemba's time and knees. The Teague pick-up was big,   

I think they will be a tough out in a any 7-game series

Hayward seems to me addition by subtraction. 

Tatum needn't play PF, although he can in small ball land. 

With Tatum and Brown at the 3 & 2, and Smart rotating in as a small ball wing or an off guard or a point, Celtics have TT and Williams to do the heavy lifting at the 4, and additional wing/point options in Teague, Nesmith and Pritchard.  Having Smart, Teague AND Pritchard means Kemba doesn't have to exceed 25-30. 

I always thought Hayward was oddly redundant.  Better fit in Charlotte is he can remain ambulatory. 

I was NOT sanquine about the Knicks overpaying for him, sugar plums, Antonio McDyess and Jonathan Bender dancing in my head. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: November 22, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »

AINGE isnt happy with his current roster, trust

Still looking for a move.
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1847