Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899198 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #14685 on: November 22, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »

Have the Celts gotten better?

Depends.

Who plays the Hayward minutes (33.5 per game)?

Posted yesterday elsewhere shortly after Gordo news broke

Quote from: bankshot1, post: 4175185, member: 9
Exactly. Gordo was more promise than delivery for the past 3 years. The cap stuff is what it is, I posted in the other thread this opens PT for development to get young guys (Romeo, TL, GW, Nesmith) game ready for the post-season. We are reliant on Kemba being healthy. But this is not a disaster.

I think TT and Teague are good depth adds, but the young guys named above have to step up and take more responsibility. Grant Williams is a "Smart" type player, if he can improve his offense he will see a lot more minutes. Langford was hurt for most of last year so he's still mostly a rookie, Nesmith is the guy they need off the bench to bang 3s.

I think the real risk is at PG and managing Kemba's time and knees. The Teague pick-up was big,   

I think they will be a tough out in a any 7-game series

Hayward seems to me addition by subtraction. 

Tatum needn't play PF, although he can in small ball land. 

With Tatum and Brown at the 3 & 2, and Smart rotating in as a small ball wing or an off guard or a point, Celtics have TT and Williams to do the heavy lifting at the 4, and additional wing/point options in Teague, Nesmith and Pritchard.  Having Smart, Teague AND Pritchard means Kemba doesn't have to exceed 25-30. 

I always thought Hayward was oddly redundant.  Better fit in Charlotte is he can remain ambulatory. 

I was NOT sanquine about the Knicks overpaying for him, sugar plums, Antonio McDyess and Jonathan Bender dancing in my head.

at $30MM a year he was more than redundant.

when GH signed he was going to be the stud wing, but as Jason and Jaylen emerged, as you note, Gordo became redundant. And the Js were better and had far higher ceilings.

His role changed and that may have become an ego issue.

But when Gordo was healthy, which unfortunately was almost never, he was pretty good, and a court savvy professional who usually made the right pass etc.

I wondered if he could become the next "6th man", and it turned out he couldn't.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: November 22, 2020, 11:40:28 AM »

Celts had Wanamaker play much of his minutes

Maybe it is true that Tatum now plays exclusively the 3 - and Celts BIGS then become the focus of effectiveness/ineffectiveness

But with Wanamaker now gone, just filling in with young guys may be dangerous

Another move for a wing could be coming (Celts were in on Crowder and others), as Langford continues to heal.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: November 22, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

Wanamaker did a pretty decent job but Teague is an upgrade at PG back-up.

Celts played small a lot last year, so with GH and Kemba both missing some time, Smart, Theis, Wanamaker all picked up more minutes.

I may be looking at this through emarald glasses, but Celts are a pretty young team with good depth

Tatum-Brown-Smart is pretty solid young core to work off of.

Kemba isn't young and his knees are older-thats the risk

Theis is another smart tough, tenacious under-rated player. I just wish he was 2-3 inches taller.

IMO giving PT to Langford, Grant Williams TimeLord-he's still a high upside project, and Nesmith the 3pt savant from Vandy isn't that risky.

IMO2 the regular season is the time to see what you migth have in the post-season. 

As for another wing, maybe, I still hear a S&T with the Hornets may happen and that could lead to something

NBA' FA rules and accounting for it is mind-numbing.

chipstern

• View Profile
Hawks
« Reply #14688 on: November 22, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »

Okongwu

Rondo

Gallinari

Have tendered an offer sheet to Bogdan Bogdanovic.  Kings have 48 hours to match. 

Capela
[Okongwu]
Collins
[Gallinari]
Hunter
Reddish
Huerta
[Bogdonavitch]
[Rondo]
Young

Looks like a playoff team. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:14:37 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Curious Rumor
« Reply #14689 on: November 22, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »

Marc Stein: The Knicks have emerged as a potential trade partner for the Lakers in a JaVale McGee deal, league sources say, as LA explores its various options. If talks progress, New York would surely require at least one additional asset from the Lakers to take McGee into salary-cap space. – via Twitter TheSteinLine

The Lakers are puportedly trying to open up cap space in order to add Marc Gasol to their roster. 

Be interesting to see if the Knicks could exact a meaningful finders fee for bringing a McGee deal to fruition. 

C: Robinson

C-PF: Randle, Davis, Noels

PF-SF: Toppin, Knox, Bradeikis

SF-SG: Barrett, Bullock

SG-PG: Ntilinka, Burks, Quickley

PG: Smith, Payton, Harper

Hmmm...

Unless Harper and Theo Pinson [our 2-Way Contracts] as well as Myles Powell are all slated to Westchster, or another one or two of our present roster are on the way out of town, or McGee would simply be dropped (and why, he is a legit defensive option), not sure this rumor is tenable. 

Subtract Harper and we have 14 roster spots filled. 

Would suggest that Davis and Brazdeikis could be the street clothes 14 & 15 players. 

Hey, what do I know. 

Leon Rose is inscrutable.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:52:36 PM by chipstern »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: November 22, 2020, 05:02:06 PM »

If we get assets to add McGee, that would be amazing. That would be some serious rim protecting front line.

Get it done, Leon.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Facil-I-Tee
« Reply #14691 on: November 22, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »

If we get assets to add McGee, that would be amazing. That would be some serious rim protecting front line.

Get it done, Leon.

Was just thinking of you. 

Found a funny lead to a DEADSPIN blog post online. 

The Knicks Baffle Fans By Continuing To Make Moves That Actually Make Sense

Gist of piece was that after a quarter century of pushing all of their chips to the middle of the table, and getting left holding the bag, the Knicks are finally proceeding in a....dare one say...PRUDENT MANNER. 

To characterize it as TANKING, as Marc Berman so flippantly opined, is, well, Tom Thibodeau ain't who you hire to oversee a tank.  Both of our draft picks are experienced collegians older than a number of players already on the roster. 

By the way, McGee is 32, Davis 31, and they would be the elder statesmen on these Knicks, assuming we kept EITHER or BOTH expiring contracts. 

Stop making sense Leon, yo Mama's calling. 

Oh, that was LEROY....my bad. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:29:35 PM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
PS: Thank You Lord
« Reply #14692 on: November 22, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »

Praise GOD, we did not schedule a Carmelo Anthony Farewell Tour. 

With the likes of Toppin and Knox and Brazdeikis vying for minutes, I mean, what the fuck was this reunion supposed to signify?

Melo had a great season in Portland, accepting his role, and fitting in on a contending team, subsuming his fucking ego for the greater good.  I was happy for him.

Bon voyage.  And Happy trails. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: November 22, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »

Re:  McGee - well, yeah, you'd have to think we really didnt have another C on the roster

Davis at 6-9 118 is a bit of a mirage - and Randle only cameos.

If not Javale, could be someone else coming in.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: November 22, 2020, 06:06:22 PM »

Re:  McGee - well, yeah, you'd have to think we really didnt have another C on the roster

Davis at 6-9 118 is a bit of a mirage - and Randle only cameos.

If not Javale, could be someone else coming in.

Nerlens Noels is not a mirage. 

That's why one wonders if things might be getting crowded and who might be the odd men out. 

Would love to have both Noels AND McGee if that is how the chips fall. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: November 22, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »

Boston, post-Hayward, represents the other side of the Bird rights trap. Its roster is a bit like a deflated balloon right now. The Celtics used their MLE on a big man, just like they would have anyway, and another small exception on a guard, and as a result are more or less the exact same team they would have been … except without Hayward. They can’t replace him as an over-the-cap team. It’s possible for Boston to pull off a late, dramatic save by generating a massive $30 million (or so) trade exception in a sign-and-trade with Charlotte, but even that will prove costly. The Celtics need to pony up an asset to include in the trade with Charlotte and then, almost certainly, another asset to bring a player into the exception. At a minimum, replacing Hayward in their salary structure will cost them two draft picks.

Yeah, Danny really needs to make this a sign and trade

chipstern

• View Profile
XMAS Comes Early For Kiid
« Reply #14696 on: November 22, 2020, 06:41:36 PM »

This just in. 

One of the items on your wish list has arrived in time for Thanksgiving. 

The Knicks just inked, to a one year contract....

Wait for it...Wait for it...WAIT FOR IT...

AUSTIN RIVERS

Can I Hear A...WTF?

Things getting kind of crowded. 

Rivers would seem to bop a roster spot we were just projecting for McGee. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: November 22, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »

Celts extend Tatum 5-195 (5th year is his option).

No more renting for Jason.

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: XMAS Comes Early For Kiid
« Reply #14698 on: November 22, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »

This just in. 

One of the items on your wish list has arrived in time for Thanksgiving. 

The Knicks just inked, to a one year contract....

Wait for it...Wait for it...WAIT FOR IT...

AUSTIN RIVERS

Can I Hear A...WTF?

Things getting kind of crowded. 

Rivers would seem to bop a roster spot we were just projecting for McGee. 

Another CAA client. 

Color me shocked. 

PS: Got to figure that trades of some sort are on the horizon to thin out the herd. 

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: November 22, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »

yeah the CAA Knicks...
If I had the energy I would point out how, contra Deadspin,  Begley and Bondy point out that you can't keep on making cap space and not signing tertiary players for one year contracts....so  you can make sense or stop making sense....

Also, saw something how Thibs wanted Melo and I think it was a reliable person (and certainly  not Berman)...and I can only say - thank god we didn't sign Melo....

And yes now the PG slot is crowded without a clear sense of direction...Frank is certainly not a starting or even backup PG - that seems pretty clear.  DSJ - when all you hear are word like "reclamation" "faith" "can be coached" and he's into what - year 4...well that's all faith and no reason...
this is not a rebuild as much as a re-sign, and maintain cap space...
so now it's all on the coaching and hopefully Thibs can pull a David Copperfield and make the Knicks appear relevant
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1844