Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 1847

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 906996 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #15030 on: November 29, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »

Nice save by Ainge. Boston can buy their way back into the pack of EC contenders if something juicy comes up.

Yup reportedly its about a $28MM TPE

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15031 on: November 29, 2020, 04:53:16 PM »

Kidd-Gilchrist represents the fifth player former Kentucky player on the Knicks, joining Julius Randle, Kevin Knox, Nerlens Noel and Immanuel Quickley.

Nine of the 12 players acquired/signed/drafted by Leon Rose since he took over as team president are either CAA clients or former Kentucky players.

We were never going to be much this year.
But I have to wonder about not adding one new starter, not making any play at even one quality FA, and just hooking up CAA/Kentucky folks with Dolanbucks.

But, uh, is this all just a scam?

As mentioned - Burks, Noel have a chance to start

And a deal could still be made.

But seems like '21-'22 is most important and Thibs may have to make do for a year.  My guess is he will do just fine - then put his indelible stamp on next year's team.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
Re: ???
« Reply #15032 on: November 29, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »

Out of jail & back on tour! I might have been in your splash zone, Banks. Rudest thing I did all day was a low res animation.

Seems Pope Josh needed the last word after all.

He closed the Trump Forum with a final post chastising me for not being sufficiently rigorous in his faith, and not ascribing to his covid conspiracy theory.

Praise be

LMAO

What on earth you talking about?
Do I need to go back there and check it out?
I thought Chamaco had the exclusive on conspiracies.
What am I missing?

Carlos

Long  story.

Pope Josh I has a conspiracy theory that he was very upset I didn't ascribe to, and after giving me the last word that he mockingly said i would take anyway, (Pope Josh is a little thin-skinned) and after I used it, he locked the thread, and then severely chastised me for my inability to accept the world as a conspiracy theorists sees it. It was pretty funny.

I'm a heretic.

Dare I say exiled in Elba!

Ok, I went and tried to check it out.
Still way too much Chamaco Cartero and a couple similar posters, maybe Chamaco's alter egos?
FWIW, I find Josh's posts fair and well reasoned, so we disagree on that. Also, he's not a Pope and not thin-skinned.
I think you're also an ok guy, maybe a little hot-headed? But generally I also enjoy your posts.
So there!
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

chipstern

• View Profile
Another County Heard From
« Reply #15033 on: November 29, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »

But I have to wonder about not adding one new starter, not making any play at even one quality FA, and just hooking up CAA/Kentucky folks with Dolanbucks.

As mentioned - Burks, Noel have a chance to start

And a deal could still be made.

But seems like '21-'22 is most important and Thibs may have to make do for a year.  My guess is he will do just fine - then put his indelible stamp on next year's team.

So, BOWd, exploiting relationships constitutes a scam?  And one has to wonder why we didn't add any starters or make any play at even one quality FA. 

Well....

Such a sour view. 

But hey, they hired Leon Rose and not BoD. 

In Bo's scheme of things....

* We draft a 3&D SF at #8 such as DA of Vassell.

* We sign Christian Wood and Fred Van Vleet as free agents, and/or, go ALL-IN FOR Gordon Hayward, because this is a Wing League, and hey, wouldn't it be smart of the Knicks to get a bonafide starter at the primary position in the modern game. 

FAIR ENOUGH? 

K.  The plurality of decision makers on the Knicks, lacking Bo's perspective, or least ways, not sharing it, were more enthusiastic about Obi Toppin than Haliburton, Vassell or Devi, manuevered a trade up for a possible trade down to grab him at #5, and freaked when he landed in our laps at #8.  Bo feels Obi is redundant and severely limited.  Duly noted. 

We'll come back to Obi, but as for whiffing on adding a bonafide starter or failing to make ANY PLAY on free agents, well, I'm not feeling you. 

Again, Wood at 3 X $42 Million was off the board once we drafted Toppin.  Fred Van Vleet, long a fave target of the cHipster [and did not Bo originally pooh pooh such enthusiasm, based on his suspicions that Fred was a product of a system, and not as good as I thought] was never [repeat, NEVER] looking to leave the Raptors, nor were the Raptors ever [repeat, EVER] going to let him go.  Were we going to outbid them, more to the point, would they let us, seeing as how they could offer an extra year. Nor did they have to, and 4 x $85 million would not have seemed outrageous, nor did the Raptors have to go above that, because nobody [repeat, NOBODY] was ever really in the hunt.

And the assertion that we didn't make a play for Hayward is disingenuous on Bo's part. 

Once it was plain that Gordon was in play, we most definitely were in the hunt, least ways that is what the smoke signals indicated.  And we were purportedly even willing to go to four years, but 4 X $120 million? 

Really, Bo. 

And who else should we have targetted?  Gallinari?  Montrel?  Bertrans 5 X $80 million.  We couldashoulda had Betrans, Chip. 

Bo disapproves of all our moves, and counts them as pathetic and half hearted at best, a scam at worst, and holds that we didn't get better, in fact, we got worse. 

K. 

A few final thoughts from this poor deluded patsy. 

You take a very dim view of Obi, and harp on the received wisdom that he is old, has a low ceiling, is a lousy defender....funny, I never heard anyone brag about what a great fucking defender and atheleted Bertrans was. 

You seem to overlook the fact that on the plus side--Obi DOES HAVE a plus side--he possesses great size, a terrific motor, and was the college player of the year, even with all of that sucking.  Perhaps because the voters were deceived by the was fact Obi was a scoring machine who could stretch the floor as a scoring 4 on the order of converting 39% of his 3-Pointers. 

In fact, while the Knicks were whiffing in every way, they did address a number of issues, while maintaining cap space and flexibility and setting up depth and competition at every position. 

Such, as, ohh, I don't know, addressing our woeful lack of a three point game last season. 

Obi and Immanuel, our two #1 picks, are both first rate three point shooters.  Likewise, Bo craves wings, but apparebtly discounts us re-upping 6'6" wing Reggie Bullock, who was coming off of neck surgery and not very effective from trey last year [.333%] but in terms of a snipers pedigree, going back to 2017-2018 with the Pistons drained 125-281 [.445% for those keeping score], and he is a good defender, so he can push RJ, if not supplant him. Likewise, the Knicks brought on 6'6" wing Alec Burks, who seemingly lacks pizazz to BoD, though in averaging 26 minutes a game for Godlen State/Philly last year, put up 15.0 ppg, with 4.3 boards and 2.9 assists, while converting 235-265 FTs [.887%], though I suppose I impress easily. 

Oh, and the other body in that trade, PF-C Omari Spellman, is only 23, and basically checks in at roughly 40% from trey and 80% from the FT line.  Clearly another scam. 

Oh, and Austin Rivers, didn't set the world on fire last season, but converted treys at a respectable .356% and upped his so-so free throw shooting to .703%, nothing to shout about, but second best of his career. 

So let's see: adding/re-adding Toppin, Quickley, Burks, Spellman, Rivers, Bullock to battle for minutes, all capable of stretching the floor. 

As for Randle and Knox and Smith, well, BoD has written them all off. 

So clearly, a woefully half hearted offseason at best, a cynical scam at worst. 

Why is Chip buying into this shit? 

I am happy we didn't engage in big splashy long term commitments.  We look to engage our youthful core of Robinson, Randle, Knox, Brazdeikis, Barrett, Smith, Ntilikina with some serious fucking competition from among others, first rounders Toppin and Quickley, let alone Noel. Payton, Rivers, Bullock, Burks, and Kidd-Gilchrist, all on make good one year deals, as our puppies enter the bell lap of the shit or get off the pot derby.

We were never going to be that good anyway, right Bo? 

So why is Chip looking forward to fierce compeition up and down the roster, while Bo is bewailing ALL OF OUR MOVES? 

Perhaps because for once we are taking the road less travelled, resisting the shiny objects, and not simply paying lip servive to youth.

Perhaps because I am looking forward to all of this clay being fashioned in the image of the maker's hand, as Thibs is tasked with creating a culture of defensive accountability, offensive efficiency, and the baby steps of a competitive culture forged in Tom's image. 

You beg to differ. 

Well, that's why they make menus. 

You are depressed.  While I am clearly out of my mind. 

As Kiid and Facil and others suggest, who knows what machinations reside in the heart of Leon Rose, but clearly, we have not seen the last of his moves, and given the crowded nature of our present roster, DEALS BECKON. 

But first....

THE FIRE. 

Forward into the breach, Knicks fans. 

So let it be written, so let it be done....

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:53:54 PM by chipstern »

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
The CAA mafia
« Reply #15034 on: November 29, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »

Kidd-Gilchrist represents the fifth player former Kentucky player on the Knicks, joining Julius Randle, Kevin Knox, Nerlens Noel and Immanuel Quickley.

Nine of the 12 players acquired/signed/drafted by Leon Rose since he took over as team president are either CAA clients or former Kentucky players.

It sure looks like it.
Just grateful the Dolanbucks are not my bucks.
How long will these people last? How many years before Dolan decides to switch gears yet again? 2 years?
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15035 on: November 29, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »

I heard from my cousin in Toronto who does the laundry for the grandniece of FVV's accountant that the Knicks were his first choice from the get-go, that he would have come here for 4 years 50 mil, and that he's still fuming that the phone never rang!
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

chipstern

• View Profile
Wally On Obi & Immanuel & Leon
« Reply #15036 on: November 29, 2020, 07:31:45 PM »

“They made sound financial decisions,’’ Szczerbiak said. “There’s risks if you were going for a big name like Russell Westbrook, [Gordon] Hayward. They’re getting up there in age. And they make a lot of money. Give them credit. They’ve done a good job to keep clear of throwing money at a big-name free agent on the downside of his career. That’s how you get in trouble.

“They’re keeping the floor open for young guys to grow and player development will be a big part with this coaching staff. They are building through the draft and building through youth.’’

https://nypost.com/2020/11/29/knicks-very-lucky-to-snag-obi-toppin-at-nba-draft-expert/

“[Obi's] NBA-ready right now,’’ Szczerbiak told The Post. “He continued to get better every year. He’s a completely mature, physical specimen, an incredible athlete. He’s a capable outside shooter at the college level and it will translate to the NBA.”

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15037 on: November 29, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »

In Bo's world most non ALL NBA free agents suck dick.  Bo also doesnt understand what a salary floor is and why it is important.

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #15038 on: November 29, 2020, 08:06:20 PM »

In Bo's world most non ALL NBA free agents suck dick.  Bo also doesnt understand what a salary floor is and why it is important.

Knicks fans have endured one false flag and mirage, one botched reboot after another, so the gap between expectations and reality is....often PAINFUL. 

And it is all too easy to get very....cynical. 

A regime change? 

Chcketts...Layden...Isiah...Donnie...Glenn...Mills....Phil...Mills...not surprising that Carlos projects another reboot two years hence.  Not that this is without precedent, is it? 

It just so happens this cautious, conservative reboot pleases me immensely.  Not all of our yute are destined to be here in 2021, 2022 and beyond, but in the short term, they are being nurtured...they are being challenged. 

But patience, prudence and a commitment to player development...caution with cap space and make good contracts...stockpiling draft picks...a clean sweep of management, scouts, coaches....A TOP TIER COACH WITH AN ACTUAL SYSTEM AND A REPUTATION FOR DEFENSE AND ACCOUNTABILITY. 

Free agency has consistently failed us over the past 20 years.  As has mortgaging the future and financial flex for a host of saviors who just didn't pan out. 

This coming week, Thibs starts working with individual players.  What's done is done, and I for one am psyched. 

But I can surely understand that some have a sense, yet again, of dashed expectations. 

Whereas my expectations are hopeful.

Onwards. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15039 on: November 29, 2020, 08:07:58 PM »

Chip - Homer Wally doing what is right for his career.  Expert?  Since when?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15040 on: November 29, 2020, 09:35:25 PM »

Since sometime after you emerged from the womb as a bitter turd.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
The phone never rang!
« Reply #15041 on: November 29, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »

I heard from my cousin in Toronto who does the laundry for the grandniece of FVV's accountant that the Knicks were his first choice from the get-go, that he would have come here for 4 years 50 mil, and that he's still fuming that the phone never rang!

He had it on mute

- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15042 on: November 30, 2020, 12:45:41 AM »

I was never interested in Haywire.
Too old, expensive and brittle for us.
Interesting fit on CHA.
I might have gone $20M on Gordy, but then again maybe not.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Bogdanovich was a legit target and ATL got him for $18M per.
Once the MIL deal fell through it was rather likely SAC wasn't matching a decent offer and ATL pounced.
Since we never have a legit starting PG, Bog's ballhandling and passing would come in handy.  And of course we need the sniping.
Burks, Rivers, Bullock -- all journeymen on cheapo deals.  But still add up to $10M or so.
If any of them start for us, it's a front office failure.
Burks passes as much as RJB.  there's an opening for Au Revoir since he has some handles and can make some plays.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Noel could start over Mitch.
I don't think that makes much sense, unless you want Obi & Mitch to develop 2nd unit chemistry.
Some predict OBiT to be rook of the year, but that's partly due to most other rooks being 19 and folks focusing on O.
Just seems to me we drafted the next ... Julius Randle.

But Mitch & Noel together?  Maybe on an end of quarter possession to get a stop.
Too duplicative and with RJB and maybe Elf/JrSmith/Franc out there, we'd have zero shooting.
Not gonna happen.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Since we were doing nada with our cap space we coulda dropped a $25M starting year offer, with $1M descents, on FVV. 
An extra $12M with $6M upfront and his own team to run.  FVV woulda spent a long weekend pondering.

Drafting OBI, adding Bogdan or FVV woulda made sense.
Drafting a wing would have given us more options.
Seems like it would have been a very different team had we drafted Avdija and added Bogdan as a FA.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #15043 on: November 30, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »

Looks like Covid is wreaking havoc on the NFL.

DEN didn't have any QB's available.
SF can't play home games for a few weeks.
Some teams have over a dozen players out due to the virus.

How is the NBA going to do better?
Smaller teams, but more travel and more games.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
NBA COVID PROTOCOLS
« Reply #15044 on: November 30, 2020, 02:14:33 AM »

All teams will designate up to 45 people as their Tier 1 group, including players, coaches, training staff and more. That group will be prohibited from accessing any areas used for business operations (e.g. conference rooms) and will not be allowed to interact in person with Tier 3 individuals like facility operations personnel.

Traveling parties for NBA teams on the road are limited to 45 people as well, and that will be expected to “minimize risks to manage their health and enhance that of all individuals involved in the 2020-21 season.”
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 1847