Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 900143 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #19725 on: July 31, 2021, 07:16:23 PM »

Knix desperately need a starting PG.
And need to convert some cap space into a quality starter (PG or SF).
So overpay some for Zo Ball.  If that gets matched.  Then next option is dump money at Duncan Robinson. Try to nab one of the best shooters in the game.  Prioritize adding a high-level PG or a deadly sniper.

Powell kind of a smaller RJB.
Good hustle, solid outside shot, Thibs type of effort guy.
But a bit mistake-prone, doesn't help with ballhandling/passing which NYK needs.  Looking for $18-$20M per ESPn.  Yikes.
For that money you could likely re-sign Bullocks ($8M) and add Oubre ($11M), another guy who doesn't help with ball movement.  Knix need some complementary ballhandlers.
The time to add Powell was 3 years ago.

For a wing vet, ESPn estimates Batum, Porter and Torrid Craig all around $5M.  Batum is smart and moves the ball.  Torey Craig a nice hustle 3&D bench guy.  Porter could be a bargain if he can get healthy.  Just 28, only played 42 games last 2 seasons combined.  Mostly a foot injury last two years.  Thigh troubles before that.  Is he encrippled?  Lost his motivation.  Could OP bounce back?  Batum or Craig might stay on good teams, but could leave for a bigger role and a little extra $$ -- say $7M.

Bullocks + Batum/Craig/Porter = $15M +/-.
More flexibility, solid SF coverage, and cheaper than adding Normative Powell.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19726 on: July 31, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »

Good to see the support for Lonzo on this fine forum.

But....

Wait just a minute...

A). Mr Fultz's backcourt jusssst got a bit crowded

B). Heard on NBA Radio (Sirriusly) - Knicks should not be discounted in Ben Simmons discussion
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

chipstern

• View Profile
No Big Splash
« Reply #19727 on: July 31, 2021, 08:35:06 PM »

Knix desperately need a starting PG.
And need to convert some cap space into a quality starter (PG or SF).
So overpay some for Zo Ball.  If that gets matched.  Then next option is dump money at Duncan Robinson. Try to nab one of the best shooters in the game.  Prioritize adding a high-level PG or a deadly sniper.

Powell kind of a smaller RJB.
Good hustle, solid outside shot, Thibs type of effort guy.
But a bit mistake-prone, doesn't help with ballhandling/passing which NYK needs.  Looking for $18-$20M per ESPn.  Yikes.
For that money you could likely re-sign Bullocks ($8M) and add Oubre ($11M), another guy who doesn't help with ball movement.  Knix need some complementary ballhandlers.
The time to add Powell was 3 years ago.

For a wing vet, ESPn estimates Batum, Porter and Torrid Craig all around $5M.  Batum is smart and moves the ball.  Torey Craig a nice hustle 3&D bench guy.  Porter could be a bargain if he can get healthy.  Just 28, only played 42 games last 2 seasons combined.  Mostly a foot injury last two years.  Thigh troubles before that.  Is he encrippled?  Lost his motivation.  Could OP bounce back?  Batum or Craig might stay on good teams, but could leave for a bigger role and a little extra $$ -- say $7M.

Bullocks + Batum/Craig/Porter = $15M +/-.
More flexibility, solid SF coverage, and cheaper than adding Normative Powell.

My sense of things is that Leon Rose and Brock Aller are going to confound expectations.

I would be all in on Lonzo Ball.

Not sure Leon is.

Agree about Norman Powell.

Fournier supposedly wants 80 million over 4 years.  Ball for that money?   Yes.  Fournier?  No.  I'd rather have Batum on the cheap.  Or DeRozan on the not so cheap. Or Duncan Robinson in the unlikely event we could spirit him away from Padre Riles.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not feeling a big splash or two coming.  More like transitional moves.

Nothing utterly foolhardy and moronic like giving away the store for Collin Sexton or Ben Simmons, let alone 30-35 million for 36 year old PGs.

PS: Knicks just waived Pelle and picked up Mitchell's Robinson's option and Julius'.  Suspect they both might get their extensions soon.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: July 31, 2021, 08:47:03 PM »

Re:. Leon

Only thing I will say is never be surprised as he keeps things quite close to the vest

Obi pick.  Deals ahead of IQ pick.  Trade downs last night - forum would have laughed heartily if that had been brought up pre draft

Expect nothing

Be surprised by nothing

And I would add after last season - criticize nothing

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19729 on: July 31, 2021, 09:06:35 PM »

I'd get a hell of lot more excited about a Talen Horton-Tucker than most of the names being bandied about here. The kid is 20.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: No Big Splash
« Reply #19730 on: July 31, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »

PS: Knicks just waived Pelle and picked up Mitchell's Robinson's option and Julius'.  Suspect they both might get their extensions soon.

Both of those options were team friendly.

I guess with Jericho Sims we have Pelle’s replacement on board.

I’d like a third big who can legit stretch the floor and is also a legit big.

We’ll see how this close to the vest shit works out…
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: July 31, 2021, 10:39:55 PM »

I'd get a hell of lot more excited about a Talen Horton-Tucker than most of the names being bandied about here. The kid is 20.

Lakers kept him (Lowry talks) and gave up a great shot at another title

chipstern

• View Profile
Re: No Big Splash
« Reply #19732 on: July 31, 2021, 11:22:46 PM »

Both of those options were team friendly.

I guess with Jericho Sims we have Pelle’s replacement on board.

I’d like a third big who can legit stretch the floor and is also a legit big.

We’ll see how this close to the vest shit works out…

Kelly Olnyk

Bobby Portis

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19733 on: August 01, 2021, 01:10:19 AM »

I was pondering Olynk. Bobby is worth a look as well if his number is reasonable.

I like this Aamir Simms kid as a sneaky good post draft pickup.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #19734 on: August 01, 2021, 04:05:30 AM »

As for Bigs:

Olynyk and Markkanen likely in that $10M - $12M range which means looking for somewhat more than the mid-level which capped teams can offer.  Both interesting, but Markk still has room to develop.

Pre-injured Zach Collins (23) might be had for ~ $5M.
Nice talent.  Missed a year with a shoulder injury, then another after ankle surgery.  Check on his health.  Good news, no knee issues.  Could be a real bargain.

ESPN expects only vet min contracts (circa $2M) for the following:
Patrick Patterson 32 - a bit soft but can score and board
Nemanja Bjelica    33 -  slow, iffy D, stretch 4, older than I thought
Frank Kaminsky    28 - stretch Big, can bang and board some
Moe Wagner    24 - talented, should be a solid backup C
D.J. Wilson         25 - hasn't developed, but bouncy, long, ankle injuries

Most of these would make more sense if we hadn't drafted ObiT.
Markk, Tank and Mo Wag would be my picks.  And real interested in Zach.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
POOP
« Reply #19735 on: August 01, 2021, 06:41:50 AM »

Mark Schanowski: Watching NBA TV’s free agency special. Well respected @ChrisBHaynes reports unless there’s a major “hiccup”, sources tell him Lonzo Ball intends to work out a contract with the Bulls. Pelicans are going hard after free agent PG Kyle Lowry.

Jake Fischer on DeMar DeRozan: It’s definitely starting to sound like the situation of him going to Los Angeles on that mid-level is not going to be the case. –

DeMar DeRozan – believing Raptors president Masai Ujiri lied to him before trading him to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard – said of Ujiri: “I have no reason to talk to him. At all.” Apparently, DeRozan felt that way immediately. He said he hung up on Ujiri when the executive called to deliver the trade news in 2018, as DeRozan detailed on “Club Shay Shay” with Shannon Sharpe.

chipstern

• View Profile
Leon Rose
« Reply #19736 on: August 01, 2021, 06:49:54 AM »

Talk about a motherfucker who in no way shape or form will tip his hand. 

Confounding on a certain level. 

Refreshing on another. 

Most of what I read in the way of conjecture in the media [such as Marc Berman's ENDLESS projections about cap space for Chris Paul] and blogosphere fantasy camp about Lillard and Beal [the latter looking to be a lock to remain on the Wizards, what with Coach Unseld Junior coming on board, his good friend Pope joining the team, the drafting of Kispert, an infusion of talent in Kuzma and Harrell--stay tuned for possible deals, here--and a core of young talent in Thomas Bryant, Davis Bertans, Rui Hachimura and Deni Avdija.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:49:03 AM by chipstern »

chipstern

• View Profile
Deuce McBride
« Reply #19737 on: August 01, 2021, 07:49:33 AM »

STRENGTHS
• Sturdy combo guard with excellent defensive potential
• Elite on-ball defender with a ball-hawk mentality
• Versatile scorer who can create his own shot
• Good touch on mid-range jumper; has three-point range.

PERSONAL
• 2020-21 Academic All-Big 12 Second Team choice
• 2019-20 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team pick
• Standout high school quarterback
• High school basketball teammate of the Pelicans’ Jaxson Hayes
• Father, Walt, played basketball at Xavier
• Mother, Kim, played tennis at Ohio State

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19738 on: August 01, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »

Most of these would make more sense if we hadn't drafted ObiT.

Heh

Good to have you back, Bo.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #19739 on: August 01, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »

Like NYK, Wiz really need a starting PG now.
I guess they didn't want Shroeder.
Wiz got a nice bunch of role players for Westbrook. 

That's another reason why I'd sign Ball.  Even if he doesn't fit NYK well for whatever reason, he's a young asset who can be flipped later.  Gets us in the convo for picking up another quality starting PG or to pony up for the next disgruntled star.

Ball a 3&D PG.  Pushes the pace, moves the ball.  Young and can still develop.  Can work on finishing and midrange.  Knix seem further along and a better environment than CHI, which is still adrift.  Not everyone wants to join Thibs boot camo, but Ball seems like a gym rat and willing to defend ...

Anyway, dicey for WASh to trade out their starting PG without getting one in return.

Pelton: We'll look back on the contract Ball signs as a restricted free agent as the best value of any signed for more than $10 million per season. Although Ball isn't exactly a point guard, the track record of players of his ilk outplaying their second contracts is strong, and Ball is young enough to continue improving well into a new deal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 08:57:33 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 1844