Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1356 1357 [1358] 1359 1360 ... 1848

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 917571 times)

chipstern

• View Profile
Wolves
« Reply #20355 on: September 10, 2021, 02:05:34 PM »

Don't see anything going down. 

Other than D'Angelo, no assets to speak of.  Beasley and McDaniel.  Now THAT'S HILLARIOUS.  Too bad the Knicks traded Dennis and dropped Frank.  We could entertain just as bad an offer. 

And how many of their own #1 picks are they prepared to sunder? 

PS: As I might have already indicated in a previous post, apparently, according to Ben's contract, the Sixers are obliged to pony up 1/2 of his total salary on October 1. 

PPS: The Kings could offer Buddy Hield and either Marvin Bagley or Harrison Barnes and their 2022 #1 pick. 

PPPS: Reports that Morey is trying to cop Fox and Haliburton + other assets are hilarious. 

PPPPS: The Sixers are fucked. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #20356 on: September 10, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »

I think something is pretty close on the Simmons front

The Sixers released a statement that they are urging Simmons to get on the same page with the team and prepare to play the season

It looks like a play to strengthen the draft capital returning to Philly in a deal.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
Morey Eel
« Reply #20357 on: September 10, 2021, 03:25:22 PM »

I think something is pretty close on the Simmons front

The Sixers released a statement that they are urging Simmons to get on the same page with the team and prepare to play the season

It looks like a play to strengthen the draft capital returning to Philly in a deal.

I do believe that Morey seriously overplayed his hand. 

I am not sure if he actually asked the Warriors for both Wiggins AND Wiseman, as well as their #7 AND #14 picks.  But seriously, if that proposal was making the rounds of NBA general managers, then one could imagine them smiling, exhaling and biding their time. 

A third and possibly fourth team would need to be involved to provide draft assets. 

We are talking about this because training camps are still two weeks and change away [Tuesday, September 28]. 

Meanwhile TRADER FACIL, this just in from the Phantasy Desk. 

Adrian Wojnarowski: The Lakers have agreed to trade Marc Gasol, a 2024 second-round pick and cash to the Grizzlies for the draft rights to Wang Zhelin, sources tell ESPN. Deal saves Lakers $10M. Gasol and Grizzlies will work together on waiver and release to allow him to remain in Spain w/ family.

chipstern

• View Profile
Grimes Time
« Reply #20358 on: September 10, 2021, 03:35:26 PM »

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/knicks-how-quentin-grimes-became-a-quintessential-thibs-guy/

This is a wonderful piece on the evolution of #25 pick Quentin Grimes, on his skill set and his character, and how his college coach, a close friend of Knicks GM Scott Perry, who also had Thibs' ear, evolved his game during two years at Houston, after a rocky start at Kansas. 

Working on his D and his rebounding, and learning how to impact the game with more than shooting. 

I was particularly moved by the Twitter Video of Quentin with his family, his black father and white mother, and his whole extended mixed race family, and how Quentin broke down and cried  when he was selected, and that the Knicks clearly made their draft moves from 19 and 21 to 25 with their eyes on a player our team clearly regarded as a THIBS GUY. 

I know that some Knicks fans on social media have been second guessing our pick, because the Nets appear to have also struck gold with Cameron Thomas, who has a lights out shooting explosion in Summer League. 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20359 on: September 10, 2021, 05:11:00 PM »

Lakers should use that open spot for Frank

Im pretty hyped about all our stateside rookies though Sims still needs serious polishing.

Morey definitely overplayed his hand though Doc and Embid did not help matters

They should have hyped him in a cloud of rosy smoke if they wanted him gone
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20360 on: September 10, 2021, 05:31:02 PM »

Damn hard to fake a rosy smoke cloud around a mf'er who doesn't take a single 4th quarter shot in four straight playoff games as his team gets eliminated....and then you add in the lowest FT% in NBA Postseason history, lol.

"Great Job Ben! You're the Best!"

No way to cover up that stink.

Maybe we just need to recalibrate and think of him as some kinda Dennis Rodman v2 w/more assists and fewer rebounds.

Course nobody would pay DRv2 40 million a year.
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #20361 on: September 10, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »

Lakers should use that open spot for Frank

Im pretty hyped about all our stateside rookies though Sims still needs serious polishing.

Morey definitely overplayed his hand though Doc and Embid did not help matters

They should have hyped him in a cloud of rosy smoke if they wanted him gone

Instead the Sixers took a variation on the tried and true Phil Jackson approach, in which one whispers the player to death, allowing his trade value to plummet accordingly. 

Not that Simmons, with his his pussy attitude, was not complicit in cementing his rep as a great talent who is not prepared to take responsibility for his shortcomings and do the work required to ascend from good to great, and from great to....someone who is willing to make the sacrifices necessary to carry a team on his back, like Giannis or Butler or Paul. 

chipstern

• View Profile
Genteel Ben
« Reply #20362 on: September 10, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »

Damn hard to fake a rosy smoke cloud around a mf'er who doesn't take a single 4th quarter shot in four straight playoff games as his team gets eliminated....and then you add in the lowest FT% in NBA Postseason history, lol.

"Great Job Ben! You're the Best!"

No way to cover up that stink.

Maybe we just need to recalibrate and think of him as some kinda Dennis Rodman v2 w/more assists and fewer rebounds.

Course nobody would pay DRv2 40 million a year.

Actually, Rodman? 

No. 

The person he most clearly resembles in terms of physical stature and athleticism is GIANNIS. 

The 26 year old Giannis is 6'11" and 242 pounds.  He is alternatingly seen as a PF, a SF and a shooting guard.   Jason Kidd was trying to help him evolve into a point guard.  He is good for 28-11-6 a night, every night, and has gotten better in every aspect of his game.  And while his 3-pt shooting and FT shooting are palpable weaknesses, he is not afraid of the moment, and was a FT making machine in the clinching Game 6.

The 25 year old Ben is 6'11" and 240 pounds.  He is alternatingly seen as a PG, and in some scenarios, as a 3&D SF.  His defense and ability to penetrate and dish off of the dribble are exemplary, but he was clearly afraid of the moment in the playoffs, by his aversion to take shots, let alone make repeated drives and thus trips to the FT line, which he is capable of attaining on every possession.  He has seemingly not dedicated himself to improving his game nor stepping up as a leader to the degree that Giannis has. 

chipstern

• View Profile
DD
« Reply #20363 on: September 10, 2021, 06:46:49 PM »

Kelsey Russo: The #Cavs are waiving guard Damyean Dotson, sources tell @TheAthletic.

I liked Dotson as a Knick, and he had a really nice 2018-2019 season over 27 minutes a game.  He defended, played hard, and was given to a sudden rain of treys at any given moment. 

His three point shooting plummeted last season for the Cavs, going 46-159 [or .289%]. 

Guess he and Alonzo Trier never recovered from the absence of David Fizdale.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 06:48:42 PM by chipstern »

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20364 on: September 10, 2021, 07:47:34 PM »

In no way did I mean to imply that Mr. Simmons possessed one iota of Mr. Rodman's style of play or toughness. The similarity, a game with out FGA!

That said, I don't think there's a chance in hell Morey trades Ben for any package revolving around a Malik Beasley or that ilk, lol, no way, never happen. H'ed rather sit his ass, fine him and wait. Won't really affect the team. I don't think any of the other 76ers give a F'. Certainly not Embid. While he'll never get a crazy package, he can wait until somebody else becomes disgruntled, Harden-style. Maybe it's Lillard. Who knows. There's four years on that contract. No hurry. Trade value can't get lower.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:49:15 PM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #20365 on: September 11, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »

In no way did I mean to imply that Mr. Simmons possessed one iota of Mr. Rodman's style of play or toughness. The similarity, a game with out FGA!

That said, I don't think there's a chance in hell Morey trades Ben for any package revolving around a Malik Beasley or that ilk, lol, no way, never happen. H'ed rather sit his ass, fine him and wait. Won't really affect the team. I don't think any of the other 76ers give a F'. Certainly not Embid. While he'll never get a crazy package, he can wait until somebody else becomes disgruntled, Harden-style. Maybe it's Lillard. Who knows. There's four years on that contract. No hurry. Trade value can't get lower.

As per usual, one toke over the line. 

Simmons is a significant talent, and my disdain for him as a spoiled little boy, does not change that. 

Rodman did ONE thing well, supremely well, insanely well. 

He was a REBOUNDING BEAST on a Bulls team where he didn't have any offensive role to play, save to clear the boards and get MJ, Pippen and the designated three point shooters additional opportunities to score.  Otherwise?  He defended well. 

Simmons defends at an ELITE level, and is a terror in transition as a facilitator and finisher. 

We [ME] mock him for not honoring his full potential as Giannis has, though possessing similar size and athleticism. 

Giannis had players and coaches who pushed him, and set the bar higher.  Giannis responded by setting the bar for himself higher still. 

Rodman was self-motivated, but there was this MJ fellow with his terrible swift sword of instant karma should his attentions wander.  And a coach who knew how to push his buttons. 

Who has Simmons had? 

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #20366 on: September 11, 2021, 07:38:19 PM »

If he is still available once December rolls around and we can include recent signees would you trade for him?

If so what do you feel would be the right package?

Richard P. Feynman

chipstern

• View Profile
No NO A Thousand Times NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Reply #20367 on: September 11, 2021, 10:28:33 PM »

If he is still available once December rolls around and we can include recent signees would you trade for him?

If so what do you feel would be the right package?

Absolutely fucking NOT

He is a bad fit

Let me count the ways. 

* He is a spoiled brat.  Philly should never have given him a long term contract years before they had to...

* Despite his exceptional D, he is not a selfless kind of Thibs guy.  He has proven himself a self-absorbed prima donna who seems to lack the work ethic of guys like IQ and RJ and Julius [and Giannis] 

* We have four PGs, maybe five, and a sixth on ice: Walker, Rose, IQ, Deuce, Vildoza, Joku...

* You going to make him our starting SF?  And trade Fournier for him?  And who else to make up the $14 million in salary.

* Obviously Ben is a more formidable defender and facilitator than Evan...could be a great 3&D guy if you don't mind having no jumper and him missing 4-5-6 out of every ten foul shots. 

* [2021-22] $33,003,936  [22-23] $35,448,672 [23-24] $37,893,408 [24-25] $40,338,144  Do you really want to make this petulant cocksucker the highest paid player on the Knicks, and hitch your playoffs wagon to his paranoid ass?  He is not Giannis.  He is not Anthony Davis.  He is not Dame.  He is not Westbrook.  He is not Paul. Those are guys who compete at a much higher talent level, and spiritually are far more competitive.  They play an all around game and are all HARD as a motherfucker.  Gentle Ben is SOFT in the head. 

Hey, Julius is our highest paid player at 21.7, with Evan at 17.1 and Derrick at 13.4, then we have Alec at 9.5, Nerlens at 8.8, Kemba at 8.7, RJ at 8.6, Kevin at 5.8, Obi at 5.1 and Taj at 4.9

We have the 27th lowest payroll out of 30 teams. 

Apparently, according to Berman of the Post, Scott Perry made half a run at DeMar DeRozan, who apparently had genuine interest, and would've been a fine upgrade at SF, albeit not a 3-point floor stretcher like Evan, but an and ultra talented vet good for 21-7-6 night in and night out.  But he signed for a guaranteed three [$26,000,000 $27,300,000, $28,600,000] with the Bulls at age 32.  For THAT MONEY, we got Fournier [29] for three +/-1 and Walker [31] for 2. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #20368 on: September 12, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »

I'd certainly trade Fournier plus some role players for an all-star in Simmons.
Fournier + ObiT + Knox/Taj.  It'd be a steal.
Bad fit?  Figure it out later.
Trust Thibs to get Simmons to work hard.
A Simmons-Randle pairing could be fine.

Simmons is a Top 5 NBA defender.
(Giannis, Kawhi, maybe Embiid, Dray).  One of the very few who can genuinely guard 1-5.  Excellent in transition, great vision/passer.

You have Kemba, Rose, Burks, IQ, Randle to shoot.  RJB a scorer too.

I'd probably also do Fournier + ObiT + Noel, though PHI doesn't need Nawlins, so maybe he'd go to a 3rd team.  That feels like a more realistic level package.
But Knix not going far this year.  Simmons would be a major building block.

If I were PHI, I'd counter by asking for Fournier + RJB + one of Taj/Knox
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #20369 on: September 12, 2021, 10:14:04 AM »

Combined steals + blocks per 36 minutes

decreased

last year for R J Barrett

from a mehhh...  1.6 to

a putrid 1.1